Thread: What about Pacific Drums?

User Info Menu

Default What about Pacific Drums?

I never hear anyone talk about Pacific Drums. I know they are DWs second line. They are still a good drum though arent they? How do they compare to other starter sets? What do you all think? Just curious....

User Info Menu

Pacific (PDP) in my opinion are good Drums,If You get the right models.My Favorite Models are...

LXE Series
    LX Series
    MX Series
    MXR Series
    CX Series
    FXR Series
    FS Series...

The EZ Series are more for Begginers,But the Models listed above are good Quality,Etc...I personally Prefer Ludwig Drums,But I do like PDP...I have some PDP Cymbal Stands which hold up good.Well I hope my input helps....

User Info Menu

I've never played any of their kits, but I do have a PDP 10" x 6" side snare. It sounds, looks, and responds great. The workmanship is top notch!
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

the kits i have heard sounded pretty good.i have heard alot about quality control issues with pdp, such as bad edges and drilling. i dont think the maple pdp drums hold up against the gretsch catalina or mapex m-pro for the same kind of prices.
    however that new kurrillian birch kit looks very nice.(see avenged seven folds drummer).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain
    the kits i have heard sounded pretty good.i have heard alot about quality control issues with pdp, such as bad edges and drilling. i dont think the maple pdp drums hold up against the gretsch catalina or mapex m-pro for the same kind of prices.
    however that new kurrillian birch kit looks very nice.(see avenged seven folds drummer).
    Man you really like those Gretsch Catalinas...lolJK...Thanks for the advise

User Info Menu

The PDP rack system is really nice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PokerDrummer
    Man you really like those Gretsch Catalinas...lolJK...Thanks for the advise
    i really do i have to encourage you to try them before you buy exports, pdp, or stage cust. i have been playing 23 years and have never played a kit with thier quality in an intermediate price range. the mapex m-pro is a close 2nd. a great deal on the mapex right now w/ a free 8" tom or 16" floor tom.

User Info Menu

The problem is that I am a huge Pearl fan. I always have been. I just dont know if I would like poplar shells. I have been looking at the Gretsch. They do seem like a good drum and they are US made which I also like. and yes I know Pearls arent. I have been looking at the Blackhawk EX just to get me started. I just need to get out there and try some out to see what I like. But thanks for pointing me in the direction of the Gretsch.

User Info Menu

the PDPs come with maple shells as well, and a lot of the DW custom features...personally, i think, a great value for a mid-to low-priced kit
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

Yea PDP aren't too bad in my Opinion.I would buy one of the better Series ones,But they aren't bad sets.Personally I think if You put good Heads on any set and tuned them really well then any drumset can sound decent.I would ralther buy a Gibraltar Rack than a PDP in my opinion....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SabianDrummerNC
    Personally I think if You put good Heads on any set and tuned them really well then any drumset can sound decent.

I beg to differ, Kind Sir.....I have an old Pearl Export kit that I have done everything I can with, and they sound HORRIBLE next to my DWs, lol
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

Yea you have a good point.Some sets just don't sound good.I mean't that as in You don't have to break the bank buying a new set....But MOST sets do sound decent if You put good heads on them...