Thread: Finish is chipping off!

User Info Menu

Default Finish is chipping off!

I have lacquer finish on my bass drums and some of the finish began to chip off in one spot. I didn't care too much, but now its spreading! Any ideas to stop it?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Finish is chipping off!

How old is your kit? could be a warranty issue! -Les

User Info Menu

If it's not a warranty issue, call the company anyways. They may be able to do something for you.
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

One thing you can do is to get some clear spray laquer, tape off the damaged area, and lightly spray two or three coats on the area itself. Not the best way to go, but it does fix and stop the spread. The only thing is a shine over the original finish, but that can be rubbed/polished out easily to blend in.

Perhaps, just clear coat spray the whole finish, maybe the coating is just getting plain worn?
    Last edited by Tam; 01-02-2009 at 09:24 PM.
    Currently electronics, with some "real" cymbals and a few accesories.

User Info Menu

Clear nail polish is a great quick fix.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

Yeah, didn't think of that, if it's laquer and not acrylic, LOL.
    Currently electronics, with some "real" cymbals and a few accesories.

User Info Menu

the nail polish is the best idea i would have for some one whose not familiar with painting.it will stop the spreading. it doesn't mater if its enamel or not. just brush it on the edges of the flaking, not the whole area.
    if you can't keep time... then your just making noise!

User Info Menu

It is very doubtful it is Nitro Lacquer unless it is a very old drum. Most likely it is Polly Urethane.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

not really. you'd be surprised,lacquer is still widely used for its easy application and its still less expensive than urethane.

User Info Menu

Lacquer is predominately used because being "hotter" it dries very quickly as opposed to poly and is easier to sand and buff out.

J

User Info Menu

exactly.

User Info Menu

yet the problem with lacquer(one of) is that it will "blush" if the humidity is too high when sprayed. like rain for instance. and if you try to apply paint over it and its still "open", the paint will "'lift" the lacquer and cause a mess.the urethane cross links well and you can work it at any time. but it does take longer to dry. so for a manufacturer, lacquer is the most profitable. for a custom guy like me i prefer the urethane. i can do more with it, with much better results.

User Info Menu

Urethane is more durable than lacquer. You see it used more on items that see a lot of wear.

User Info Menu

The name of the game is production. The commercial guys are definitely going to go for lacquer because of ease of use. They can can also control their shop conditions against problems like "blushing." They also do NOT want to deal with fixing things like runs in poly. I wouldn't be cost effective.

Having said that, I am currently building a drum for a guy and I am using poly. I do not have a climate controlled shop and a pro spray booth.

JW

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tam View Post
    One thing you can do is to get some clear spray laquer, tape off the damaged area, and lightly spray two or three coats on the area itself. Not the best way to go, but it does fix and stop the spread. The only thing is a shine over the original finish, but that can be rubbed/polished out easily to blend in.

Perhaps, just clear coat spray the whole finish, maybe the coating is just getting plain worn?
    Yup depending on the wear, if a smaller area then the clear nail polish will work as metioned earlier.