Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sonor Drums or Yamaha Drums - Reviews

User Info Menu

Default Sonor Drums or Yamaha Drums - Reviews

What are peoples thoughts on these brands?

Larrysperf Guest

Default Re: Sonor or Yamaha

Personally I wouldnt own either but that doesnt mean there not good

User Info Menu

Hey Jon, Welcome to Drum Chat!

I think you'll find that this will fall under the category of personal preference. Both companies make excellent drums, as do many others. You're probably going to hear Sonor owners tell you that they're the best drums in the world because they're happy with the ones they own, and likewise Yamaha owners.

If you go car shopping and have a preference for Ford or Chevy, that's likely what you'll buy, based upon past experience. It's the same with drums. Some people are very brand loyal because of past experiences with that particular brand. Others will be more open to trying out other brands. It appears that Larry is not one of those, LOL.

I've never owned Sonor, but hear many good things about them from people who have or do. Likewise with pretty much all of the other name brands. They all make excellent drums, and it's what you prefer the sound of, the look of, or what fits your own situation the best. And sometimes it boils down to price. Sonor is pretty expensive in their higher lines, although their Force series is pretty competitively priced.

I own a set of Yamahas, and they are great drums, and serve the purpose for which I purchased them very nicely. However, I also own Mapex and Pearl drums, and they're excellent as well.

If you have your own buying decision down to these two brands because they meet your own criteria, I would suggest making sure that you compare the two of them on the proper basis, i.e. don't compare a Sonor Force kit to a Yamaha Maple Absolute kit. Compare models in the same price range. If at all possible, get to a drum shop where you can take a test drive on each one so you know which might be more pleasing to your ears.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

Both very reputable brands! I happen to like the Yammies over the Sonors in the intermediate range. I also like the high end Yamahas.. Sonors, while I have no doubt are great in their high end models..they are way outta my reach price wise! -Les

User Info Menu

Default Re: Sonor Drums or Yamaha Drums

yamaha has good lines right now.. the powerful oaks, recording customs, and their absolute series are second to none.. sonor has those acrylic ones though so i guess its an even trade off.. a friend of mine had this sonor kit that couldnt even be recorded with it just didnt have the volume

User Info Menu

I've had both. Yamaha Tour customs are equal to Sonor Force 3000 series. Both maple shells and excellent sounding kits.

Yamaha Stage Customs and SONOR Force 2000 series are Birch and both are excellent in that catagory.

What it should come down to is value. You will no doubt really appreciate either brand or flavor thereof, you will have to look at what you get for your dollar. Do you see a finish you like? Are the drum sizes what you are looking for? Are there as many drums as you want?

Answer those questions within your budget and you'll find the best kit for you.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat JontheDrummerBoy!

I agree completely with Norske. The only thing that I would add is that each manufacturer has kits of different quality, so how much are you willing to spend. To ask if Sonor or Yamaha is better is not really the question. The question is what kind of kit do you want. How many drums do you want (4 piece, 5 piece, 6 piece, etc.), what kind of wood do you prefer for the drum shells (maple shells give a warmer overall tone, birch is more balanced, and has a strong "attack," then there are blended shells, etc.) and who has what you want.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

id get sonor 2007 toms and bass, with a sonor 3007 snare. mainly i would get a sonor because of the low profile lugs and they have red sparkle maple kits like keith moon used to play sometimes

User Info Menu

Default Re: Sonor Drums or Yamaha Drums - Reviews

This is very coincidental, I have a chance to buy either a Stage Custom set or Sonor Force 3007 from a seller near me

$625- Yammie

790- Sonor

both look to be in great shape.

But the Sonor look amazing in the foto

User Info Menu

Sonor is more of a classic type drum brand. They look classic and make more than 2 different sections of classic model drumsets.
    Yamaha is more modern.
    It's your style that you need to think about
    Drums:
    A ???? jazz set ( yet to be discovered, it's debadged ) with a Tama singstar 10" tom, a 12", 13" and a 16" floor tom all with internal dampeners all held up by a tama power tower rack, a percussion plus 14" snare, a set of custom k high hats and a Ludwig Speed King bass drum pedal

User Info Menu

I'd love to have a Yamaha 9000 kit one day
    Ludwig Accent CS Custom- Black with Chrome Hardware
    22 x 18 Bass Drum with Evans EMAD batter and EMAD reso
    6 x 14 Snare with Evans Genera HD Dry batter over Hazy 300
    12 x 9 Tom Remo Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    13 x 10 Tom Remo Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    16 x 16 Floor Tom Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    16 x 18 ^

User Info Menu

Sonor is the oldest drum maker on the planet, and Yamaha claims to be the most recorded drum.
    Its like comparing BMW to Acura.

User Info Menu

I've owned both...and prefer the Yamaha's overall....but both are good kits!

User Info Menu

Hhmmmmm.....I used Sonor back in the sixties (Oops that gives my approx age away!)....I went through the Ludwig phase for years (still luv em) but thesedays for live work, I use a Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute (just the 22 10 & 14 with a Ludwig LB400B COB snare) beefed up with 14 15 & 16 inch Paiste Signature fast crashes, a Zildian Custom Z 20 inch Power ride, a Zildian 21 inch A Rock ride, pair of Zildian heavy rock hats, and a Zildian 8 inch and a Zildian 10 inch A splash, it's the combination I have looked for all my life....sheer heaven !!!! Yamaha for me!

User Info Menu

I've played them all, and found the perfect sound in Yamaha.

User Info Menu

I own a sonor designer kit and i love it. i heard very good stuff about yamaha kits but i would say that the more money you'll pay, the better kit you get.

User Info Menu

I've owned Yamaha Recording Customs and Beech Customs. The school I attended and now teach at has a late 80s birch Yamaha kit. My best friend and I rented a house together and he played 2000-era Stage Customs. I've also played Maple Custom Absolutes as a second lined rented kit. Also, I have watched every Weckl video and seen him live 5 times so have heard the Maple Customs quite a bit. Yamaha's biggest strength is that you get pretty much exactly what you pay for, even with used kits. The sound quality levels off around the $2K range and then you get cool finish and hardware extras the more you pay. The hardware is solid and durable. I see them quite a lot with working class regional type drummers that need reliable performance without any worries.

Sorry, I have no Sonor input other than Steve Smith, jazz God, plays them. Probably excellent quality as well.

User Info Menu

In 1986 I was lucky enough to get a set of Sonor Signature Series drums signed by Horst Link. I chose the elongated toms with Indonesian Makasar Ebony 12-ply shells. The lugs are half-round so they don't spin out and lose tuning.

The drums are physically heavy; the heaviest set I have ever owned. The hardware is solid with double legs and rubber boots. The bass drum legs and hi hat legs are easily adjustable from rubber to spike.

With a combination of batter and pinstripes, these drums make pure tones that are warm and true; I back off one lug a little on each drum as I tune it and get the tone to die off just a little - something I learned from a drummer in Houston Tx.

I played on Pearls, Yamaha, and Ludwig. I chose the Sonor because my ears liked them and I enjoy playing them - still do today 23 years and counting. They get sounding better every year. They almost remind me of an old Gretsch drum set a buddy of mine Jeff Reese from Augusta, Georgia played for years.

The tone is the deal breaker if price is not.

User Info Menu

If it were me, and this is just my opinion, I would choose the company that DOESN'T also manufacture MOTORCYCLES and ATV's.

Sonor specializes in drums. Yamaha specializes in sticking their foot in whatever they can.

But I'm sure both brands are great. I just don't like the whole motorcycle logo on my DRUMS.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Timactionfigures View Post
    If it were me, and this is just my opinion, I would choose the company that DOESN'T also manufacture MOTORCYCLES and ATV's.

Sonor specializes in drums. Yamaha specializes in sticking their foot in whatever they can.

But I'm sure both brands are great. I just don't like the whole motorcycle logo on my DRUMS.
    ?????Motorcycle logo??????....those are tuning forks!!!...tuning forks are used in music!....yamaha have been making musical instruments alot longer than they have been producing motorcycles...and their drum division is a very small ma & pa type manufacturer...with some employees who have been there from the beginning (40 yrs.)....

User Info Menu

I own a set of Yamaha Recording Customs "Birch" Stage customs and a Yamaha vintage kit I'm a huge fan of these drums, but last year I bought a Sonor 3007 Kit "Maple" and play it all the time live just because its new the Sonor hardware is not as user friendly as the Yamaha in my opinion Ive giged for almost 20 years at least 40 gigs a year with the Yamaha's and I've only replaced the wear rings on my kick pedal, I don't think you'll go wrong either way.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by big daddy View Post
    I own a set of Yamaha Recording Customs "Birch" Stage customs and a Yamaha vintage kit I'm a huge fan of these drums, but last year I bought a Sonor 3007 Kit "Maple" and play it all the time live just because its new the Sonor hardware is not as user friendly as the Yamaha in my opinion Ive giged for almost 20 years at least 40 gigs a year with the Yamaha's and I've only replaced the wear rings on my kick pedal, I don't think you'll go wrong either way.
    Man looks like 800 gigs with no problems.....I don't care what brand you prefer that's quality right there folks !! Thanks for the review big daddy
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by big daddy View Post
    I echo 2slow ++

I picked up a Yamaha Drum catalog a few months ago and I've been very impressed with what I've read. They look like spectacular drums. I'm sure Sonor are great too. I've played around a little on both - I really like the small Sonor drum kit (natural maple finish) that's in a local drum shop - it reminds me of a nice little Gretsch kit - just has that feel - nice drums.

If I had the money I'd buy both! Probably not much help hu..

Well.........You would have one Deadly shellpack if you went for the Oak Custom - I like the York Honey Amber finish personally. So many drums - so little time
    Gary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Timactionfigures View Post

Don't forget pianos, keyboards, wind instruments, and all manner of sound and PA equipment. They are at the top of the list in all these categories as well. The only crossover with the motorsports stuff is that they make some of their pedal parts in the motorcycle factory. This is a plus in my book.

User Info Menu

Soundwise - Yamahas
    Tama Royalstar: 14x22" Kick, 16x16" Floor Tom, 8x12" Tom, 9x13" Tom, 5x14" Snare

Zildjian A Custom: 20" Medium Ride, 18" Medium Crash, 16" Crash and 14" Hi-hats

Sabian B8 Pro: 18" China, 12" Splash

Soultone Extreme: 14" Hi-hats

LP Cowbell

Alesis DM6 USB eDrumkit

VALTIS Rock en espaņol