Thread: Buying tips

User Info Menu

Default Buying tips

Hey I want Everyone's opinion on what is the best brand for buying a set. I don't want to spend too much, and I don't want to be buying something cheap. I'm looking to buy a "1 up, 2 down setup". So i want your guy's advice. Any tips at all will be appreciated. Thanks.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Buying tips

Welcome to Drum Chat Kadwell!

Your question is going to be a hard one to answer because there will be many different opinions about which brand of drums is the best. Any of the major brands have good quality drums, but they all also have their cheaper beginner kits too. Give us some idea of your price range, and tell us whether you would consider a used kit.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Well I' m looking to stay around the $600-$900 range. I would consider a used kit granted it was in good condition.

User Info Menu

Is your price range just for the drums or will that amount also be buying your hardware, cymbals, bass pedal and throne? You could get a five piece kit for that price, but the better value would always be something in the used department. I was at my local 5 Star drum shop this past Friday and could not believe the sensational buys on some of their very slightly used kits. If I needed another kit, I personally would not rule these out. Also check Ebay. If you see something you like, get back to us. I'm sure someone here will steer you in the right direction.

Just my opinion.
    Dennis

User Info Menu

That price range was for just the drums...the hardware I would spend how ever much on, I' m more concerned with getting good drums themselves first.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kadwell_13 View Post
    Hey I want Everyone's opinion on what is the best brand for buying a set. I don't want to spend too much, and I don't want to be buying something cheap. I'm looking to buy a "1 up, 2 down setup". So i want your guy's advice. Any tips at all will be appreciated. Thanks.
    The first one that comes to mind is pdp 805. it is within your price range and is a great sounding drumkit.
    However
    You could just buy a normal rock setup drumkit and convert the 14" tom into a floor.
    This would save you alot of money which could probably be used on better cymbals.
    Whatever you deciide on, make sure you post a pic on the "Show us your drums" thread
    Thanks (:

User Info Menu

Save plenty of money for cymbals. Just about any kit can be made to sound decent with a decent heads and tuning, but a Cr@ppy cymbal is a cr@ppy cymbal.

When I got back into playing after a long layoff, I bought a Yammy Gigmaker, cheapest kit they make, but I still had thousands of pounds worth of cymbals from my pro days and overall it sounds good! Certainly way better than an expensive kit with cheap cymbals would have.

Andy

User Info Menu

Hey Kadwell, Welcome To Drum Chat!!

There's been much discussion recently about the end of year or end of model clearances at many drum shops, both online and local.

You can buy a Mapex M Birch kit for in the range of $600-700 including hardware, and that's a midrange kit. I'm sure there are Gretsch Catalinas in that range as well. You will need to determine whether you prefer birch or maple however, depending on what type of music you're playing, but your budget would definitely fall into the middle range. There are a lot of drums in that range that you might like.

Best next step is to get to a local drum shop and try some out if you can. that way you can hear them and decide what fits the sound you're looking for. But right now there are definitely bargains to be had out there.

Good luck!
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Norske View Post
    Hey Kadwell, Welcome To Drum Chat!!

There's been much discussion recently about the end of year or end of model clearances at many drum shops, both online and local.

You can buy a Mapex M Birch kit for in the range of $600-700 including hardware, and that's a midrange kit. I'm sure there are Gretsch Catalinas in that range as well. You will need to determine whether you prefer birch or maple however, depending on what type of music you're playing, but your budget would definitely fall into the middle range. There are a lot of drums in that range that you might like.

Best next step is to get to a local drum shop and try some out if you can. that way you can hear them and decide what fits the sound you're looking for. But right now there are definitely bargains to be had out there.

Good luck!
    Amen to your advice Norske. The Mapex M Birch kits with have hardware, where the Gretsch Catalina kits are shell packs. The limited edition Catalina Maple kit is selling around $499 right now. I agree that the first step is to figure out what shell wood sounds best to you. You can't find that out unless you go to the music store and listen to the drums. I'm someone who preferred the sound of the maple shells, but there are plenty of people in here who prefer the birch shells.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Birch for me, offers a broad spectrum of tones.

User Info Menu

Thanks for everyones advice and tips. I will be sure to follow them.
    “One of my few shortcomings is that I can't predict the future.”-Lars Ulrich.
    “If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.”-Neil Pert.
    “You don't get something for nothing
    You can't have freedom for free
    You won't get wise
    With the sleep still in your eyes
    No matter what your dreams might be”-Neil Pert.

TERROROUS TENORS

User Info Menu

Don't forget to check craigslist. A lot of people are out of work these days and unfortunately are getting rid of their instruments at a bargain price to make ends meet. I have seen a few kits on there recently for around $500 that are worth nearly twice as much.
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie