Thread: Bass Tuning

User Info Menu

Default Bass Tuning

I have had my trusty white little Premier (More recently with horrible Planet Z Cymbals) for fifteen years and I got the bass sounding great with stock heads. I recently removed the heads to replace the hoop and tuned it exactly the same before but for some reason I just can't do it. I know it is probably the old heads but I am getting a new kit soon and don't want to buy heads that won't fit (I have a small bass drum now but won't get my kit for four weeks and I don't think four weeks justifies buying new heads). I have tried my method, pillow, tighten just above wrinkles, tried two pillows it is still echoey, it only gets rid of this terrible ring if I put about seven pillows inside and by then I have lost all volume and it feels stuffy. I have two gigs coming up before I get a new kit and need a temporary solution thanks!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Bass Tuning

Keep the echo. It will sound better unmiced.

User Info Menu

Unhappy Re: Bass Tuning

I thought this was a thread for tuning a bass guitar.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bassist learning drums View Post
    I thought this was a thread for tuning a bass guitar.....
    lol! On Drum Chat eh?

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat RnR!! You'd be surprised what is on this forum!

User Info Menu

Quick trick, r&r~~~~ cut a piece of cloth, about 15"-20" long, and about 2" wide. Use something thick, say felt, or an old blanket. Remove the batter head, mount the strip around the shell, leaving about 1" hanging both ends, then mount the head, tug the strip tight, then lightly mount the hoop, tug the strip again against the head, still leaving 1" both ends, and tighten the hoop. Instant muffler ring without the need to get one.
    Last edited by Tam; 01-02-2009 at 09:09 PM.
    Currently electronics, with some "real" cymbals and a few accesories.