Thread: Snare and 10" Tom...aaaaargh

User Info Menu

Default Snare and 10" Tom...aaaaargh

Right, this is really annoying me now. I have a Mapex M Birch and have tuned my drums so they sound great (still with stock heads), but there is just one problem. Whenever I hit my 10" tom, the snare wire rattles as well so it sounds like I'm playing another snare drum. This only happens on this 10" tom. Anyone got any suggestions? Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease
    Mapex Drums | Zildjian and Meinl Cymbals | Evans Drumheads | Pro Mark Drum Sticks

User Info Menu

Default Re: Snare and 10" Tom...aaaaargh

Try moving them a little further away from each other. I have also heard it's because they are both tuned to similar pitches so change the pitch a little and see if that helps.
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Tune your 10 up or down a little. Dont forget to do the same with the reso.

User Info Menu

Yeah, I've been scouring the internet a bit since I posted, and a couple of people have said about them being simliar pitches, so I'll tune my 10" up or down a bit first thing in the morning...I can't really do it now, cos once I touch the drums I'll want to play them...a lot. And it half 10 at night here....so yeah
    Mapex Drums | Zildjian and Meinl Cymbals | Evans Drumheads | Pro Mark Drum Sticks

User Info Menu

Also bear in mind that when you are playing a song, no-one will hear it.

When DDrums first came out, everyone raved about their Tom sounds. What was the magic ingredient? A bit of snare rattle!

A few years ago I saw Simon Phillips in Clinic. Someone asked him how tyou stop snares rattling when you hit a ton, He replied, "You mean like this one?" and hit his 10" tom, The snare rattled like heck. NO-ONE had noticed it during his playing.

Andy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by The Chazbo View Post
    Right, this is really annoying me now. I have a Mapex M Birch and have tuned my drums so they sound great (still with stock heads), but there is just one problem. Whenever I hit my 10" tom, the snare wire rattles as well so it sounds like I'm playing another snare drum. This only happens on this 10" tom. Anyone got any suggestions? Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease
    Youtube...Bob Gatzen. He has a video DIRECTLY on point here. He is awesome.

User Info Menu

Sounds like good advise all around.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

Larrysperf Guest

Try detuning the left and right lugs beside your snare wires 1/4 turn, this should get rid of it .

User Info Menu

are you using a standar set of toms? I got a free 8" with my kit, and it just would never tune right, and i never used it so i took it off because i did not need it. Then my other toms were making the wires buzz so i used the "toilet paper trick" and change my tom heads to Evans Hydrualics.

Now i am down from a six piece kit to a four piece haha and it is wonderful! i feel so free not having all of the stuff in front of me and i can experiement smarter because i know my kit better.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

sympathetic snare buzz is a common problem. just follow the directions of some of those that have already posted and it should cure the problem.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greenmonster206 View Post
    Youtube...Bob Gatzen. He has a video DIRECTLY on point here. He is awesome.
    yeah hes a funny guy

User Info Menu

Good info, I have the same issue, will adjust position first then try tone if required.

User Info Menu

Maybe choke the 10" a bit, to kill some of the sympathetic resonance that the snare picks up?
    Currently electronics, with some "real" cymbals and a few accesories.