Page 11 of 124 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Mapex Drums Discussion

User Info Menu

Default Re: Mapex Drums Discussion

Can you describe the sound of the VX? maybe you could do a review for us!?! nudge-nudge.. -Les

User Info Menu

NoMoore, that's a beautiful M ya got there, and you also get 50 bonus points for putting a pic of it in your first post.

Welcome aboard, and please see the newbie initiation thread. It's good clean fun.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Could anybody in this thread give me a sense of how Mapex Saturns compare to Pearl Masters Premiums, Ludwig Classic Maples, Tama Starclassics, and others in the $2K range? I might be able to get my hands on a set for a good price, but I don't know as much about Mapex as I do the others. I figured you all would be the ones to ask...
    Last edited by shoedaddy; 02-24-2009 at 08:01 AM.
    Ludwig Classic Maple w/Supraphonic Snare
    Sonor S-Classix
    Paiste New Signature Dark Energy

User Info Menu

A couple more questions--

Are the sparkle finishes on the Saturns wraps or lacquers? Here's a link to the finishes--which do you prefer?

http://usa.mapexdrums.com/drums/saturn/index.asp

I like several, especially the Natural and the Galaxy Burst.

Also, the deal I saw has an optional hardware package. What do you all think of the Mapex hardware? Thx.
    Ludwig Classic Maple w/Supraphonic Snare
    Sonor S-Classix
    Paiste New Signature Dark Energy

User Info Menu

I'm pretty sure all the Saturn finishes are lacquer... there might be one or two wraps though... My favorite is the green apple burst lacquer.
    I don't find the Saturns easily comparable to other drums... they're too unique. As far as build/hardware quality, they're equal or superior to all the others you mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Lesizmor View Post
    Can you describe the sound of the VX? maybe you could do a review for us!?! nudge-nudge.. -Les
    When I get some more seat time behind them I'll throw something up. For now I'll just say I couldn't tell I was playing an entry level kit the other day.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

From everything I've been told they are tops.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Smile Re: Mapex Drums Discussion

they have got that low end heavy sound you only normally get from many drums with die cast hoops. saturns are totally an awesome planet to play on- id get the berry or galaxy bursts! woo hah space invaders missile command!
    Last edited by MortalDrumbat; 03-05-2009 at 01:06 AM.

User Info Menu

looks nice and clean in black

User Info Menu

There is/was a eBay store selling the VX 5pc with the 320 series HW pack for $499...seems like a great deal, given what I have learned through experience with Mapex drums.
    -Les

User Info Menu

I don't really know much about pricing of drums, but would this be a good deal?

7-Piece Pro M w/ Black Panther snare, $1,231.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xweasel View Post
    I don't really know much about pricing of drums, but would this be a good deal?

7-Piece Pro M w/ Black Panther snare, $1,231.
    Sounds pretty decent.. The thing with the Pro Ms is that they were and are such a strong seller for Mapex, that the prices really didn't see that much of a drop. They will sell 'em out even at regular prices. Tell me Weezy, what currency do you use in New Zealand? British pounds? AUD? Please forgive my ignorance. -Les

User Info Menu

Sounds pretty decent.. The thing with the Pro Ms is that they were and are such a strong seller for Mapex, that the prices really didn't see that much of a drop. They will sell 'em out even at regular prices. Tell me Weezy, what currency do you use in New Zealand? British pounds? AUD? Please forgive my ignorance. -Les
    Haha, we use NZD (New Zealand Dollar).

As of now, $1.00 NZD = $0.500 USD.

$2,450 NZD = about $1,231 USD.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Well then, I guess I got a pretty steep discount on mine. 750 for a 5-pc with hardware, when everywhere else (including ebay) its selling for 950 or more.

Speaking of which, they arrived in three lovely boxes yesterday. Unfortunately, I already lost one of the knobs that hold the toms steady on the mounts.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by liza1991 View Post
    750 for a 5-pc with hardware, when everywhere else (including ebay) its selling for 950 or more.

Unfortunately, I already lost one of the knobs that hold the toms steady on the mounts.
    Wow $750 is a great buy! Tell me., did you get the free BP snare drum with your kit? and on the wingnut for your tom bracket! -Les

User Info Menu

Nah, I didn't get the snare with it. I could have paid $100 more for it but I decided to invest the extra in a solid pair of hi hats instead.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by liza1991 View Post
    Nah, I didn't get the snare with it. I could have paid $100 more for it but I decided to invest the extra in a solid pair of hi hats instead.
    Ya missed out on a great little snare drum..but you made a wise choice! Getting a solid cymbal core ie; hats, ride and primary crash. Is a good idea.
    Congrats on the Pro Ms and Im not sure if I said it before, but welcome to DrumChat! -Les

User Info Menu

Sounds like a couple of you got some nice kits!

There is/was a eBay store selling the VX 5pc with the 320 series HW pack for $499...seems like a great deal, given what I have learned through experience with Mapex drums.
    -Les
    I've seen that kit tons of times. If I was looking for a solid 4-piece to gig with I'd grab it (I'm not a fan of 13" toms). They're definitely solid kits.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

this is my mapex Mbirch set.
    snare 14in Evans Genera Hd Dry
    !st tom. 8in
    2nd tom 10in
    3rd tom 12 in
    1st floor tom 14in
    2nd floor tom 16in
    all toms have Remo UT heads(came with the set)
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Hey Ross,that's a mighty fine set you have there!

And, welcome to DrumChat!
    - Zack

User Info Menu

MMMMMAPEX! Nice choice in kits! Welcome to drumchat! -Les

User Info Menu

Hey Ross, Welcome to Drum Chat!!

Sweeeet looking kit! Love those M Birches!!
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

Nice kit Ross

User Info Menu

Hey Ross! Very nice set you have! Your Remo drum head is exactly like the kind I have on my set!

User Info Menu

What drum heads have you guys find work best for m-birch kits. I currently have evans ec2 clears on mine. They sound decent but thinking about putting some coated heads on them. Any suggestions? I have g1 evans clears for my reso heads.

User Info Menu

I still have the stock heads on mine, except for the snare - I have a Remo Emperor X...sounds great but took a lot of work to get it sounding like it is I am looking at Emperor batters and Ambassador reso's when I upgrade my heads.
    Mapex Drums | Zildjian and Meinl Cymbals | Evans Drumheads | Pro Mark Drum Sticks