Page 3 of 124 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Mapex Drums Discussion

User Info Menu

Default Re: Mapex Drums Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
    If the BD tom mounts are the same as the Saturn's, the holder does not actually penetrate the drum - its held on with 4 nut boxes (lugs). All you need to do is buy 4 lugs and remove the holder and you are sorted!

take a look at the picture below and you can see how the holder sits on the drum.

yea mine does penetrate the drum as is a bit older , i found that pearl has 1 but doubt it will fit
    thanx billyxxx

User Info Menu

Default Re: The All Access MAPEX Discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    This is a good idea, Les. I hope we see one for each brand. All drum mfg's have something for somebody and why not exploit the positives so future buyers can have good facts to go by and not just someone's opinion based on them hearing someone else's opinion.

BTW, what brand to you like, right now?
    I am loving my Mapex's for sure Bish! -Les

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Beave View Post
    I can say the first time i played a Mapex birch kit, i bought it and was hooked! This time a year ago i had heard of mapex but didnt know anything about them. After owning the M birch and now the Saturn i will say they make some high quality products. One thing i noticed about the Saturn bass drums is that they have a distinct, thunderous sound. Anytime someone hears my kit they comment on how powerful the bass is and what can i say i love that sound. Of course other drums have great sound too as there are so many great brands making good stuff. I just like having something different and my Mapex gives me that with its sound and still not really a mainstream name. I still run into people that arent familiar with mapex and cant believe they havent heard them before since they are top notch. Being a drum fanatic, of course there are other kits i still want from other brands but i do love my mapex and would put it up against anything else out there in terms of durability and sound.
    AMEN to his bro! I also own a Pearl Session kit and love them as well. but there is just something about my M Birch and Black Panther snare that has got me grinning a mile and 1/2 wide! -Les

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    also dec 2008 news

Mapex Releases Limited Edition Orion Select Burl Component Pack

this looks hot!
    Habidda-habidda-habidda -Les

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    That's the regular price for the shell kit, which is all I really need. The only possible hardware I would get would be a new hi-hat, they have nice one's and mine's well used

I'm hoping that with the new models coming out, I can find a deal where someone is trying to get rid of stock. My local store is open tomorrow, so I might check with them.

Update: Just looked and of course Musician's Friend is discounting heavily. 6 piece M Birch shell pack for $549! Many of them are like 60% off list, 35% is normal, so it can be like a $200 or $300 savings. Too bad I'm not in a position to get one right now given the holidays! I'll just have to keep my eye on what they have in stock. Still going to check local store tomorrow and see if I can do layaway or something.
    You will NOT be disappointd!!! The M Birch kits are so nice! -Les

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Norske View Post
    Sounds like you're pretty stoked about getting one Kaosotis!

Start puttin that money aside bro! Psst, did you know you can live for several days without food as long as you have water?
    Haaa! Good one Norske! -Les

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    I can live for a while believe me (6'2" 245 lbs.). I can live off the land as my father likes to say. I'm not sure my wife, 2 kids, and 2 dogs would fare so well

Well there's always the tax refund I get every year, plus some extra money I'll be getting for teaching an extra class at school. The problem is I don't know if the deals/stock will be there when I'm ready. Such is life.
    You should be good to go there K! Check massmusic dot net. they are great for the online Mapex deals..and I dont think I would worry about stock if your planning on a tax time purchase! Color selection may be sketchy. The good thing about that is Mapexs' lacquer finishes are second to NONE! All yummy! Definately something to be looking forward to! -Les
    Last edited by Lesizmor; 01-04-2009 at 02:58 PM.

User Info Menu

THANKS TO THE MODS FOR PUTTING UP THESE STICKYS SO FAST! -Les

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lesizmor View Post
    You should be good to go there K! Check massmusic dot net. they are great for the online Mapex deals..and I dont think I would worry about stock if your planning on a tax time purchase! Color selection may be sketchy. The good thing about that is Mapexs' lacquer finishes are second to NONE! All yummy! Definately something to be looking forward to! -Les
    I like most of the colors and I completely agree about the finishes. It's really a question of whether "old" stock will be there to get for super cheap or not. But the local guy told me to keep him update, so he seems to think there's a chance stuff will be around.

I also e-file my taxes ASAP since my dad's a CPA, so I frequently get a refund by early Feb. Hopefully the timing will work out!
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

wow there are some pretty sweet kits in here. soon ill be adding mine =D

User Info Menu

and TA-DAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

and a gretsch will soon accompany it =]

User Info Menu

billy

just taking off the tom holder will make a huge difference......and it might be easier to get a piece of wood or plastic made up for you ...for this blanking plug thingy

User Info Menu

hey wat happened to my post? =/

User Info Menu

did you try post a pic sadikone

just remember that the pics have to be around 800x600res

User Info Menu

yea that could be the problem..ill resize. thanks =]

User Info Menu

Nice setup Sadikone1!!
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lesizmor View Post
    I am loving my Mapex's for sure Bish! -Les
    I know, man, I was just giving you a razzing.

Of course now that you are going to get another Pearl kit...the jury may go back into session, eh?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

So a reputable local store has a Mapex Mars Pro 5 piece shell kit (at least I don't see hardware in the pic) for $299. I can get a new Pro M for $649, and new M Birch for $599 or $549 (I forget which). Is the $299 worth it?

Anyone know anything about the mounting hardware on these, etc...?
    http://www.daddys.com/used/?itemnumber=MAP8192

Still trying to find the funds to get a new kit, but maybe this is the way to go to get a maple kit and a 2nd kit.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

Kaos, I would say that's a pretty sweet price for a 5pc Mars Pro shell pack. The Mars Pro series was made with 9 plies - 7 plies of maple, and an inner and outer layer of mahogany. Today's Pro M series has 7-ply maple shells. The Mars Pros are very nice drums IMHO.

By the way, just did a little search on that site, and another location has a 4pc Pro M with hardware for $269.99. I wish that store had a location near me! Their prices look to be way better than the local franchise used gear stores we have here.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Norske View Post
    Kaos, I would say that's a pretty sweet price for a 5pc Mars Pro shell pack. The Mars Pro series was made with 9 plies - 7 plies of maple, and an inner and outer layer of mahogany. Today's Pro M series has 7-ply maple shells. The Mars Pros are very nice drums IMHO.

By the way, just did a little search on that site, and another location has a 4pc Pro M with hardware for $269.99. I wish that store had a location near me! Their prices look to be way better than the local franchise used gear stores we have here.
    Daddy's is awesome, I rent extra PA stuff from them too when I need it. Traded an old Zildjian 20" crash I had (it actually appeared in my cymbal bag one show, don't know where) and got an XS20 20" Ride in return.

I did see the other kit. I don't really need the hardware since I have my Tama stuff. I figured getting the extra drum would be more valuable. The other thing is that the Waterbury store is 20 minutes from me, so I save on shipping.

I'm guessing these older models do not have iso mounts, etc...? I emailed the store to find out, but I figured there was some experts on here.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
    If the BD tom mounts are the same as the Saturn's, the holder does not actually penetrate the drum - its held on with 4 nut boxes (lugs). All you need to do is buy 4 lugs and remove the holder and you are sorted!

take a look at the picture below and you can see how the holder sits on the drum.

thats quite a nice kit...

User Info Menu

My Kit, posted this in the show me your drums thread too.

Love Mapex.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (95.1 KB, 337 views)

User Info Menu

nice mug shot taz

User Info Menu

LoL thanks. Far as Mapex goes, great quality, super bang for the buck. Hardware is good and sturdy. I love the tones you can get with the Birch series. Put some good heads on and your are ready. The factory heads are Remos but not their best in class heads. I changed mine to Evans EC2. All and all Mapex is a kit that will last, and serve a drummer well.

User Info Menu

I was in my local drum store last night picking up a few accessories, and the Mapex reps were there setting up the brand new Meridian Maple in Volcano Burst lacquer finish. The reps said they were the first store in the country to get this set, so I felt lucky to get to see it so early. I gotta tell ya, if it sounds half as good as it looks, it will be my next set. (They hadn't tuned it yet, so I haven't heard it.) It was gorgeous. Next time I'm in there, I'm going to sit behind it and see how it sounds.
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie