Page 1 of 124 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Mapex Drums Discussion

User Info Menu

Default Mapex Drums Discussion

Well guys and gals, it seems the idea for a brand specific discussion thread is a good one. So I thought why not one for us MAPEX freaks?
    Here is a chance to ask questions and share tips on topics like head selection and set up options about everthing MAPEX from Q series to the awesome Orions. Maybe even show off your new gear??

Advertisement

Cool Drum Accessories

User Info Menu

Default Re: The All Access MAPEX Discussion thread

This is a good idea, Les. I hope we see one for each brand. All drum mfg's have something for somebody and why not exploit the positives so future buyers can have good facts to go by and not just someone's opinion based on them hearing someone else's opinion.

BTW, what brand to you like, right now?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I can say the first time i played a Mapex birch kit, i bought it and was hooked! This time a year ago i had heard of mapex but didnt know anything about them. After owning the M birch and now the Saturn i will say they make some high quality products. One thing i noticed about the Saturn bass drums is that they have a distinct, thunderous sound. Anytime someone hears my kit they comment on how powerful the bass is and what can i say i love that sound. Of course other drums have great sound too as there are so many great brands making good stuff. I just like having something different and my Mapex gives me that with its sound and still not really a mainstream name. I still run into people that arent familiar with mapex and cant believe they havent heard them before since they are top notch. Being a drum fanatic, of course there are other kits i still want from other brands but i do love my mapex and would put it up against anything else out there in terms of durability and sound.

User Info Menu

Well I guess I have to jump in on this one, since I now own my third Mapex kit. I've owned two M Birch kits previously, and now own their top of the line Orions.

Mapex has made a big impact in the drum industry in recent years, and is getting a reputation for offering the best "bang for the buck", party due to the fact that they've offered a free tom or Black Panther snare with many of their kits. Their quality is excellent, as exemplified by the fact that their plant in China has been awarded the ISO 9001 distinction, the highest award for quality given out in manufacturing. To back up the importance of that quality, the parent company of Mapex, KHS Musical Instruments, now manufactures drum shells and hardware for several other top name drum companies.

Fine quality drums and hardware hardware, competitive pricing, and top notch customer service are making Mapex one of the big names in drum manufacturing. Oh, did I mention the variety of finishes? Outstanding looking finishes in both wraps and lacquers, and they constantly release new finishes that are innovative and eye catching.

Here are a couple of pics of my past and present Mapex kits.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

Those Orions are just stunning Norske. I bet the camera isn't doing that finish any favors either.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

woot mapex rocks

User Info Menu

Eye Candy, Itchie!!

Those are amazing to look at.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Guess ill post a pic of mine since this is the official Mapex thread!

Last edited by Beave; 02-06-2009 at 02:42 PM.

User Info Menu

I'd love to have a Mapex one day but I'm quite happy with my Ludwigs at the moment, nice kits everyone

User Info Menu

Here's a few of mine...
    vintage Mars in the original yellow before I refinished it.
    1998 Mars Pro SE in transparent aqua green
    2007 VX black (current kit)
    and my Black Panther snares:
    14x3.5" Phosphor Bronze (january 1999)
    14x6.5" phosphor bronze (august 2000)
    10x5.5" flat black maple (june 2000)
    12x7" cherry maple (july 2006)
    I also bought a 14x6.5 to match the 1998 set that I had sold (no pics though)

The first time I saw a Mapex kit was in a rehearsal room, and I laughed at it (unknown brand). Six weeks later I was begging my parents to buy me one. I've been hooked ever since. I did own a Tama Rockstar in the midst of the Mapex stuff because they offered a double bass configuration. I decided to downsize (shell sizes mainly) and I wanted the hexagonal L-rods and Mapex's ITS back, so I went for the VX. I don't see myself buying another set.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

I've said it before on DC - Mapex are only a couple of really household big name drummer endorses away from world domination!

While we are at it here are my Saturns...
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

I love Mapex :P I have an M Birch in Honey Amber
    I love it so much. Even with the stock heads, it still sounds awesome. My M Birch is my second kit, before that I had a starter kit, and the difference is just immense. I can't stop playng the kit, but my neighbours aren't too happy I'll try to get some pics up soon when I've sorted my computer out.
    Mapex Drums | Zildjian and Meinl Cymbals | Evans Drumheads | Pro Mark Drum Sticks

User Info Menu

Here's a test on uploading a pic...it's not very good quality, if it comes up at all
    Mapex Drums | Zildjian and Meinl Cymbals | Evans Drumheads | Pro Mark Drum Sticks

User Info Menu

I've been thinking of saving up my cash for a 7 piece Pro M, with a Black Panther snare.

Pfft, of course it has to be black. Everything looks better in black!
    - Zack

User Info Menu

these are the finishes you can choose from

orion-

saturn-

pro m-
    Last edited by itchie; 12-31-2008 at 12:09 AM. Reason: spelling

User Info Menu

Man, an Orion in Ebony burst!!!! Im sure you have seen the kit on the Mapex catalog cover, what a beauty.

User Info Menu

Man all those colours! I remember when i brought my first kit and it was black, white or wine red only!
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

Sweet kits folks..keep em coming!!! -Les

User Info Menu

New gear from Mapex..Just released.. The Meridian birch/maple replaced M Birch and Pro M! More in a minute!! -Les

User Info Menu

Is It Live or is it MAPEX?
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lesizmor View Post
    New gear from Mapex..Just released.. The Meridian birch/maple replaced M Birch and Pro M! More in a minute!! -Les
    OH man, they were best sellers...
    Signature here

User Info Menu

So hows the pricing on the new stuff ??

User Info Menu

this is taken straight from Harmony central

The Meridian Maple is available in eight configurations, featuring five and six-piece set-ups. All include 700 Series hardware. MSRP ranges from$1,929.99 for a six-piece Studioease configuration to $1,539.99 for five-piece set-ups, including the new "SRO" configuration. The SRO has 22x18 bass drum, 10x8 and 12x9 rack toms, a 16x16 floor tom with legs and a 14x5.5 snare drum

The Limited Edition Meridian Birdseye Maple drum set carries an MSRP of $2,489.99.
    Last edited by itchie; 01-01-2009 at 09:21 AM. Reason: stuff

User Info Menu

also dec 2008 news

Mapex Releases Limited Edition Orion Select Burl Component Pack

this looks hot!

User Info Menu

So after deciding not to wrap/restore my Tama Crestars, I'm looking into a shell kit. Mapex is high on my list, because they seem to have good bang for the buck, etc... There's a used Mars Pro (Pro M?) 5 piece shell kit for $340. It's probably worth a look, right?

My other question is if people think places will be discounting the old kits heavily? That would be perfect for me. While I'd love the newest stuff, getting a M Birch shell kit for $500 or less would be a dream!
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle