Thread: Drum Chat newcomer... my two solo vids

User Info Menu

Smile Drum Chat newcomer... my two solo vids

Hi everyone!
    I'm new to this great site... thought I would participate in the action! Here is the link to two drum solos I recently recorded... let me know what you think and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZqfBfJIR8I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH7pVDPwNmY

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum Chat newcomer... my two solo vids

Your Amazing!!!

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat Drumhead, and you are right, it is a great site!

Outstanding vids! Really great independence! Tell us how long you've been playing.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumhead39 View Post
    Hi everyone!
    .. let me know what you think...
    1st Video:
    Nice chops. I didn't like the diversion at 1:05. Some of the rhythms at 3:00 didn't go together IMO. It got rather eratic and busy. Love the double bass/cymbals fill at 2:13 and 3:42. You've got that down man! It was hard for me to look at your hi hat because it seemed to be out of time much of the time. Maybe it was just the YT delay. The height of your crash cymbals on the right made me uncomfortable too but I'm guessing you had those up for the camera... so we could see you right?

2nd Video:
    The beginning sounded stiff and contrived to me. I like the flow of 16th triplets around the kit from 2:30 to 2:36. Great left foot independence at 3:06! At 3:08, you start playing quarters up the toms. It's interesting to hear how choked that high tom is (8"?). It's a shame you can't get that same amount of sustain out of it as the other toms.

Man, your a great player. I'd love to hear you play with some groups. Tell us more about you!

Welcome to Drum Chat!

User Info Menu

Thanks for the feedback guys...much appreciated!!

drummer: very specific in your analysis= very helpful!

pastor: I've been playing for over 20 years now! man I'm getting old!

I play in a latin jazz band which covers a lot of Michel Camilo tunes... I get a lot of solo room in the band but never full open solos... lately I've been practising integrating some ideas into the creation of an open solo. the goal being to come up with something cohesive and hopefully, musical!

the small tom is a timbale style tama 8" drum... I agree that it lacks the sustain of the others. cymbals may appear high, but they are actually just right for me!! but maybe lowering them to cover up my face is an idea....

thanks again guys!
    b

User Info Menu

I love Michel Camilo! You must be having a blast! Congrats on reaching such a high level of playing. A great accomplishment.

User Info Menu

cool another trad grip jazzer, nice to meet you man, looks like you have been studying some hernandez me thinks, some really nice interplay with the feet and hands. The only constructive critique question I have to ask, Did you make the vid more for your chops and technique display to fellow drummers or did you approach the piece from a more musical expression from within kind of mindset? From the vid i take it was the former, which is still cool.
    five stars from me.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    1st Video:
    Nice chops. I didn't like the diversion at 1:05. Some of the rhythms at 3:00 didn't go together IMO. It got rather eratic and busy. Love the double bass/cymbals fill at 2:13 and 3:42. You've got that down man! It was hard for me to look at your hi hat because it seemed to be out of time much of the time. Maybe it was just the YT delay. The height of your crash cymbals on the right made me uncomfortable too but I'm guessing you had those up for the camera... so we could see you right?

2nd Video:
    The beginning sounded stiff and contrived to me. I like the flow of 16th triplets around the kit from 2:30 to 2:36. Great left foot independence at 3:06! At 3:08, you start playing quarters up the toms. It's interesting to hear how choked that high tom is (8"?). It's a shame you can't get that same amount of sustain out of it as the other toms.

Man, your a great player. I'd love to hear you play with some groups. Tell us more about you!

Welcome to Drum Chat!
    Wow! We're really starting to attract the real deal here. Awesome. BTW - I've been on Drum Chat for over two years and have never read an in-depth review by drummer like the one he just wrote. That's a pretty good indication of his ragard for your ability, drumhead (IMO).

Seemed to me that solo #2 was a tiny bit clearer? It'd be cool to hear you in a studio situation.

User Info Menu

welcome drumhead39 to drum chat
    nice job on vid

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

Yes, Welcome to Drum Chat.

I think drummer has the most words in one post since I've been on here, too.

Great technique, too, DH39.

Looking forward to more of you and your band.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

cool guys!
    all of your remarks have been helpful! thanks... seems like good folks on this forum!

ratmycue: I definitely was trying to incorporate some "drum stuff" in order to become fluid integrating it into an open solo. also, hoping to get as musical as possible with the ideas. (the ultimate goal) its a work in progress for sure...

Happy New Year to all!
    DH39

User Info Menu

Nice playing! tell us more about your gear
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Are you playing in a band/combo?

User Info Menu

Welcome and I enjoyed your vids.

User Info Menu

Hey Drumhead and welcome to the forum. Like drummer, I viewed the vids with great interest. I always appreciate a disciplined artist. Tom said all that needed to be said. As for getting old...I've been at this for 48 years now and playing better now than in my younger days. Love Latin but my home is with my Big Band. Please take a look at
    nicsdrumstudio.com
    Nick Marcy is in Round Rock, TX and has three publications, all reviewed in Modern Drummer, on exotic and interdependant sticking. I think you would find the material right up your alley. His third Book...Drum Solo...develops the ideas of how to use interdependence and ostinato playing. He has a terrific lesson utilizing this technique around the Baio ... much like you did with the Cascara. Under the Thread Drum DVDS...I posted a You Tube video of Nick demonstrating this. If not there, it might be under Drum reviews. I hope to see you in here from now on.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Hi all...
    thanks fiacovaz... I'll check out Nick Marcy's site as well as his publications!

glad you enjoyed the vids tazmania...!

roaddebris, I play primarily in a Latin jazz trio... we do a lot of Michel Camilo covers and are finally putting the finishing touches on 3 original compositions... I love plaing in this band... very fun and challenging music and two very good musicians/ people! I will post some links to some audio at some point.

As fore gear andreeew, in the vids I'm using a maple custom absolute kit... 10, 14" toms and a 20" bass. weckl aluminum sig. snare (14") a small Tama timbale type drum. cymbals are an 18" Zildjian breakbeat ride, 14" sabian/zildjian "creation" for hihats... 16" evolution crash, 14" b8 pro (!) china
    and a 20" CRASH OF DOOM! (love the name, love the sound)
    pedals are my late 80's strap drive Yamaha double pedal, Iron cobra hihat stand and 2 cajete brackets with pearl woodblocks attached.

I have just started using Sonor foot pedals... very nice! I have a middle pedal which is incredibly ergonomic... quite ridiculous! (feels great!)
    I also have a Sonor Twin FX pedal which I am trying to develope some comfort with... anyone out there use one??

talk soon!
    dh39

User Info Menu

Really nice chops. Makes me wonder how much better I could be if I hadn't become a punk drummer when I was 18. Makes you fast, but doesn't help technique.

For fia, drummer, and dh, and suggestions on getting back into playing jazz. I could always play along with stuff, but I really need to work on my jazz chops first. At this point I'm strictly a rock drummer, although I don't think I'm too bad.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Awesome stuff! Welcome to the forum! There are some really great people here(as you have noticed)...stick around!!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Welcome to the forum, I love to listen to Latin Jazz hope you post some vids of the group sometime in the future. Great solos, you play with great style and technique.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumhead39 View Post
    cool guys!
    all of your remarks have been helpful! thanks... seems like good folks on this forum!

ratmycue: I definitely was trying to incorporate some "drum stuff" in order to become fluid integrating it into an open solo. also, hoping to get as musical as possible with the ideas. (the ultimate goal) its a work in progress for sure...

Happy New Year to all!
    DH39
    Its a life long journey bud, Hope to catch you in the chatbox sometime I would love to have a discussion on musical voice -re, solo interpretation etc.
    cool stuff man

Official cowbell hater.