Default Re: Pearl Drums Discussion

what a beauty!
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Being new I'll try to give my two cents on pearl. They have great quality, very warm tone, desirable resonance. Reference are unparallelled in all aspects, but I still love my Masters. Over all fantastic drums.
    My kit-- Pearl MCX Masters Emrald Burst:

22x18" Kick
    8x7" Tom
    10x8" Tom
    12x10" Tom
    14x14" Floor Tom
    16x16" Floor Tom
    13x6.5" Reference Snare, Piano Black

Pearl HW, Trick Pedals, Sabian Cymbals, ddrum triggers, Pro-Mark sticks, Remo heads

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ribkick View Post
    Hello everybody.

Well, Im a 54 year young past drummer (20's) and decided to revisit my drums. Just took delivery on a new VBX 5 piece in natural birch and are they beauties! The tone curls my knickers.

Man, what ever anybody says, it's not like riding a bike! Timing is off, speed is off and coordination is off. Set it up with hat and snare on the right and play right hand open due to a back injury and nerve damage to right foot. Back to basics and rudiments all over again.

Been reading through and there's LOTS of great talent here and looking forward to contributing where I can.

Rib
    Welcome to Drumchat and that's a beauty of a kit and I love the finish.

I too got back into drumming two years ago (quit playing from 1976 to 2007). I also have nerve damage in my right (bass) foot and calf) due to a back injury (L5S1). I know the frustration. I'm attempting to still play bass with my right foot but it's been a struggle. I've been doing a lota "wood-sheddin" and it's paying off........a lot of fun too.

Welcome back to the world of drumming
    Again......that's one nice drum kit you have there.

Happy drumming!

Kona
    Gary

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat PearlDrmmr!

If you've got pics of your kit, you can post them here: http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ms-26p187.html

It's the official place for us to drool over each other's kits.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kona View Post
    Welcome to Drumchat and that's a beauty of a kit and I love the finish.

I too got back into drumming two years ago (quit playing from 1976 to 2007). I also have nerve damage in my right (bass) foot and calf) due to a back injury (L5S1). I know the frustration. I'm attempting to still play bass with my right foot but it's been a struggle. I've been doing a lota "wood-sheddin" and it's paying off........a lot of fun too.

Welcome back to the world of drumming
    Again......that's one nice drum kit you have there.

Happy drumming!

Kona
    Thanks Kona. Coming from a cat with a kick *** big G kit, I appreciate the compliment on mine. Thanks, man!

As to the nerve damage, mine was from L4, L5 removals with toes and right side foot numb and toe kicks slow and irregular. Forget a double pedal. I am finding the open style a bit easier as the hat work can be done with a full lift. It is awkward but I'm getting used to it. And thanks for the encouragement from a fellow gimp LOL.

Thanks to all for the kind welcome!

Rib

User Info Menu

Welcome Rib!..I had the same 1's removed, with perm. nerve damage to my right leg.It's been 4 yrs since my operation and It doesn't really effect my playing.I guess ya just get used to living with it.The docs still try talking me into more ops (I'll pass) and go for disc replacements.They go thru the front.eewwww.Back problems are the worst thing, and wouldn't wish that pain on anyone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zzzdanz View Post
    Welcome Rib!..I had the same 1's removed, with perm. nerve damage to my right leg.It's been 4 yrs since my operation and It doesn't really effect my playing.I guess ya just get used to living with it.The docs still try talking me into more ops (I'll pass) and go for disc replacements.They go thru the front.eewwww.Back problems are the worst thing, and wouldn't wish that pain on anyone.
    Hey Z, thanks man.

I didn't get a replacement, just removed and let the bone fuse over time. Surgery was done with a 10 year split. L5 first, then another injury with L4 going. L4 is where the nerve damage reared it's ugly head. Oh well...

I suppose if I hadn't been dormant on the drums for so long I'd have made an adjustment like you. I'm glad it hasn't affected your play.

Rib

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ribkick View Post
    Hey Z, thanks man.

I didn't get a replacement, just removed and let the bone fuse over time. Surgery was done with a 10 year split. L5 first, then another injury with L4 going. L4 is where the nerve damage reared it's ugly head. Oh well...

I suppose if I hadn't been dormant on the drums for so long I'd have made an adjustment like you. I'm glad it hasn't affected your play.

Rib
    Yeah, pretty much the same gig.I blew 1 disc out, then 3, and then 4, over the course of 2yrs.All the physical therapy stuff (did nothing for me) and chiropractors,and finally went under the knife.I frame houses for a living and they told me I would be done framing or my back will just give out for good.I never was a good listener, I'm still framing because that's what pays my bills.Back hurts all the time but Ya get used to it.Now my damn hips are killing me constantly, and of course, I never go to the Chiro's like I'm supposed to.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zzzdanz View Post
    Yeah, pretty much the same gig.I blew 1 disc out, then 3, and then 4, over the course of 2yrs.All the physical therapy stuff (did nothing for me) and chiropractors,and finally went under the knife.I frame houses for a living and they told me I would be done framing or my back will just give out for good.I never was a good listener, I'm still framing because that's what pays my bills.Back hurts all the time but Ya get used to it.Now my damn hips are killing me constantly, and of course, I never go to the Chiro's like I'm supposed to.
    Wow. Almost a double life. I framed and trimmed for 15 years then went to superintendent where I still am after 30+ years. All commercial. Injury's were both wearing the bags.

User Info Menu

I am looking at getting a Pearl Forum 2008 drum kit but i am unsure of the quality i was wondering if someone could help me out as i need to make a quick decision..... It's being sold for $900 and has only been played once!!!
    I think this is a bargain but am also unsure. Cheers.D95

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drummer95 View Post
    I am looking at getting a Pearl Forum 2008 drum kit but i am unsure of the quality i was wondering if someone could help me out as i need to make a quick decision..... It's being sold for $900 and has only been played once!!!
    I think this is a bargain but am also unsure. Cheers.D95
    The quality of the FZ (Forum) kits is on par with what you can expect with any Pearl series. The Forums are built in the exacting way that Pearl's top of the line Reference and Masterworks kits are. The edges and HW are great on these "entry level" kits. Pearl makes every part of the drum, so it's quality shows all the way from manufacture to final assembly. The (FZ) shells are made of Poplar hardwood and are the same as used in the Export series kits of the past. Really nice kits for the money (IMO)
    To me, Pearl makes some of the best mass produced shells in the world.
    I give the FZ kits a big thumbs up!
    Last edited by Lesizmor; 07-26-2009 at 08:02 AM.

User Info Menu

Hey drummer95 i think for the money if I were you I'd take a good look at the vision series....or even better used masters can be had for that kinda money !!
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

That's 900 AUD.

User Info Menu

how much US $ ?
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

wouldnt it be cool if pearl made bonham size kits
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Default chad smith vs vision

I guess this is the pearl thread so it must be the right place for this question well actually two questions.

first the chad smith shell pack seems to have a higher msrp but a lower actually price than the vision vx of the same size. anyone know of the differences./

second the chad smith shell pack says it comes with a "signiture" snare for a total of 400 but the snare itself costs 280 .. this couldent possibly be the same snare could it ..

ok thank you for your time ..

User Info Menu

Default My $100 gig kit!

Hey folks..

Just wanted to show off my mission of mercy rescue kit that I picked up on CL for a whopping $100! I had done, out of necessity some drum equipment liquidation to pay down some pesky bills and found myself in real need of a gig kit. I saw an ad in the local CL listings for an early '90s Pearl Export 5 pc.
    I decided to call the guy and have a look. When I got to dude's house and saw the kit, I thought that there was not much hope for this kit. The owner told me that it had been stacked in a closet for close to 10 years and hadn't been played much. That was apparent by the stock resonant heads. I asked him what he had to get out of the kit cash wise and he replied $100.
    Sold.

The kit came to me as a 5pc standard sizes 12, 13, 16, 22 and 14 snare.
    I got them home and proceeded to tear them down to bare shells (wrap intact)
    and give them a bath they so desperately needed. This included painstakingly hand cleaning the shells and 3pc long lugs. The shells of this era are made of Asian mahogany. The inner ply of these shells had a blonde colored wood with a grain very much like that of birch...?

Upon researching the kit I found out that it is a 1990 EX in #33 pure white. Between 1990 and '92 Pearl was making these shell from birch and mahogany mix with the inner plys being birch.
    Once I got the kit back together and slapped on new heads batter (batter and resonant) I realized that I had a gem here! I know they are Exports and alot of the high zoot crowd will inevitably stick their noses up at them. But I am here to tell you that with the minor upgrades (optimounting system, 10 ply maple bass drum hoops, 2.3mm tri flange tom hoops and all Aquarians) this kit is ready for ANY pro gig!!!

Amazing tone!
    Here's a couple pix from my gig a few Saturdays ago with my band Back Row Prophets

User Info Menu

Default Pearl '90 EX pix contd.

THE END

-Les
    Last edited by Lesizmor; 08-17-2009 at 09:28 AM.

User Info Menu

Looks real nice
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Looks nice les

User Info Menu

GREAT pics Les!!! And what a great find on that kit brother! Congrats!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Thanks for the comments guys! It really goes to show that once again..Less is more!

Total cost:

*Drum shell pack....$100
    *Pearl optimount....$15 (used)
    *Pearl 900 series unilock tom holder $20 (ebay)
    *Gibraltar 2.3mm hoops (toms) $60
    *Gibraltar 10 ply maple bass drum hoops (taken from my inventory of parts)
    *AQUARIAN heads.. (Response 2 tom batters/Classic clear resos and Hi Performance snare side reso) $55
    +
    Tons of time spent cleaning a tweeking
    =$250

To sit behind this kit is to wonder why some folks think they need a ultra high zoot kit to have pro looking and sounding gear. This kit is pro folks!

-Les

User Info Menu

Default Re: My $100 gig kit!

Quote Originally Posted by Lesizmor View Post
    Hey folks..

Just wanted to show off my mission of mercy rescue kit that I picked up on CL for a whopping $100! I had done, out of necessity some drum equipment liquidation to pay down some pesky bills and found myself in real need of a gig kit. I saw an ad in the local CL listings for an early '90s Pearl Export 5 pc.
    I decided to call the guy and have a look. When I got to dude's house and saw the kit, I thought that there was not much hope for this kit. The owner told me that it had been stacked in a closet for close to 10 years and hadn't been played much. That was apparent by the stock resonant heads. I asked him what he had to get out of the kit cash wise and he replied $100.
    Sold.

The kit came to me as a 5pc standard sizes 12, 13, 16, 22 and 14 snare.
    I got them home and proceeded to tear them down to bare shells (wrap intact)
    and give them a bath they so desperately needed. This included painstakingly hand cleaning the shells and 3pc long lugs. The shells of this era are made of Asian mahogany. The inner ply of these shells had a blonde colored wood with a grain very much like that of birch...?

Upon researching the kit I found out that it is a 1990 EX in #33 pure white. Between 1990 and '92 Pearl was making these shell from birch and mahogany mix with the inner plys being birch.
    Once I got the kit back together and slapped on new heads batter (batter and resonant) I realized that I had a gem here! I know they are Exports and alot of the high zoot crowd will inevitably stick their noses up at them. But I am here to tell you that with the minor upgrades (optimounting system, 10 ply maple bass drum hoops, 2.3mm tri flange tom hoops and all Aquarians) this kit is ready for ANY pro gig!!!

Amazing tone!
    Here's a couple pix from my gig a few Saturdays ago with my band Back Row Prophets

Les,

Whoever the high zoot crowd are, I want no part of them! Awesome job on the refurb! Those drums look like they just strolled out of the factory. Being the owner of a Cat maple, which sounds and looks awesome as you are WELL aware, I doubt I'll ever be able to justify spending over $2,500 on a new kit. Do the words 'Reference', 'Starclassic', 'Collector's Series', etc. really mean that much to me?
    Rock 'em hard Les and enjoy every minute.
    Kits
    DW Performance(white marine): 8x7/10x8/12x9/16x14/22x18
    Mapex Saturn III(transparent walnut): 10x8/12x9/16x16/22x18/14x5.5

Snares
    Pork Pie 14x7 Cherry/Bubinga
    Pork Pie 14x6.5 Big Black Bob
    Mapex Saturn 14x5.5 Maple/Walnut
    Homemade 14x5.5 Maple(10 ply Keller)

Cymbals
    Sabian
    14" AA regular hats
    10" AAX splash
    16" AAX Xplosion fast crash
    18" AAX Xplosion fash crash
    16" HH thin crash
    20" HHX stage ride

User Info Menu

Default Re: My $100 gig kit!

Quote Originally Posted by mkennedy View Post
    Les,

Whoever the high zoot crowd are, I want no part of them! Awesome job on the refurb! Those drums look like they just strolled out of the factory. Being the owner of a Cat maple, which sounds and looks awesome as you are WELL aware, I doubt I'll ever be able to justify spending over $2,500 on a new kit. Do the words 'Reference', 'Starclassic', 'Collector's Series', etc. really mean that much to me?
    Rock 'em hard Les and enjoy every minute.
    I agree on the Cat maple comment fo sho! This kit is amazing mken!

I'm not just saying that to say it. There is really something special about these older Exports! It has to be the Birch / mahogany hybrid shells coupled with the upgrades! Less is more!

-Les

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lesizmor View Post
    Thanks for the comments guys! It really goes to show that once again..Less is more!

Total cost:

*Drum shell pack....$100
    *Pearl optimount....$15 (used)
    *Pearl 900 series unilock tom holder $20 (ebay)
    *Gibraltar 2.3mm hoops (toms) $60
    *Gibraltar 10 ply maple bass drum hoops (taken from my inventory of parts)
    *AQUARIAN heads.. (Response 2 tom batters/Classic clear resos and Hi Performance snare side reso) $55
    +
    Tons of time spent cleaning a tweeking
    =$250

To sit behind this kit is to wonder why some folks think they need a ultra high zoot kit to have pro looking and sounding gear. This kit is pro folks!

-Les
    how much you wanna bet those sennheisers cost more than 250 each j/k you know your stuff mad respect
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments