Page 3 of 67 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Pearl Drums Discussion

User Info Menu

Default Re: Pearl Drums Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneRoney View Post
    Is that a wrap or lacqered finish?
    Quite honestly, I haven't seen anything but wraps on all the Pearls I've ever seen. So yes, mine is a wrap...with a noteable seam on each shell but it sure beats scratches or cracking that can occur on a lacquer finish.

New drum motto....

Scratch the lacquer - grab some liquor!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Quite honestly, I haven't seen anything but wraps on all the Pearls I've ever seen. So yes, mine is a wrap...with a noteable seam on each shell but it sure beats scratches or cracking that can occur on a lacquer finish.

New drum motto....

Scratch the lacquer - grab some liquor!
    thats too bad. you should check out the glass laquors avail on the masters premium. the purple craze for the reference is IMO the best laquor work i have seen on factory kits. dont even get me started about masterworks finishes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    thats too bad. you should check out the glass laquors avail on the masters premium. the purple craze for the reference is IMO the best laquor work i have seen on factory kits. dont even get me started about masterworks finishes.
    OH I totally agree on the purple craze. I just about bought those drum by drum as they are just a little bit out of my price range and not seeing or hearing them I wasn't taking any chances.

But I do agree with you 101%!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

My session elite is also laquer. I love the sound of Pearl drums in general. They have it all. Also when we talk 'bout hardware, it's good, strong, sturdy and even looks good.
    Pearl all the way!
    • Crush Limited Reserve Wenge
    • DW Collectors
    • Sakae Pac-D
    • Roland TD-9
    • Zildjian K/A Cymbals
    • Crush, DW, Pork Pie, Trick Snares
    • MAY Sennheiser, Audio Technica Internal Mics
    • Gibraltar 9600 hardware
    • Protection Racket/RoadRunner Touring cases

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearldrummer View Post
    My session elite is also laquer. I love the sound of Pearl drums in general. They have it all. Also when we talk 'bout hardware, it's good, strong, sturdy and even looks good.
    Pearl all the way!
    I agree, Pearl's hardware is second to none.
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Default My '97 Session DX

User Info Menu

YEAH BABY!!! Very nice Les!!

Click for Gear Pics!

User Info Menu

OH man Les!!! Love that finish and the mounted tom size is making me crazy. I love it all!!!!

I hope you remembered to retract the bass drum spurs before putting that bass drum on the nice hardwood floor.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Question Re: Pearl Drums Discussion

i bought a pearl drum kit on ebay about a year ago. it's a big kit 6 toms and two kick drums. they are dx profession series and the wrap is real unusual. they look like little mirrors all over them.

anybody know anything about them? i've looked around and i can't find a thing on them. i would like to note, i don't use them to record with as the bearing edges are kinda rough and need to be re-cut on a few of them.

i bought them cause they looked cool. they do sound good but are extremely hard to tune on account of the bearing edges.

all i could find out about them is possibly eric singer of kiss played a kit like this on the revenge tour.

if anybody has any information on these drums i'd like to hear it. i have lots of pictures of them.

thanks

User Info Menu

Welcome, afterbrnr.

If you can ( or maybe I haven't seen them yet ) post your kit and we'll all drool, comment and then answer any questions you might have.

Welcome to Drum Chat.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

WOW, Les those look really gorgeous man!!

Those two extra toms look pretty lonely in the corner though..... It had to be hard to decide which tom to mount on the kit....but then again you have the option of swapping it out, adding one, or adding two....great looking kit and excellent buy!!
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

I just picked up a Pearl Masters in the Lime Sparkle fade. My other kit is a Vistalite, and they have a completely different feel. The sound of the Masters is--well, the word "awesome" is almost a cliche and just doesn't do it justice, but you get the idea. I'll post pictures soon, but I wondered if you all are happy with the Masters snares. I'm thinking of getting a matching one, but I also like Pearl's Maple Free Floating Snares (haven't tried the brass or copper). Any recommendations for a good Pearl snare to go with my new Masters?

BTW--I agree with what some others said about Drum Chat. It's a good friendly place to go for advice and for sharing drum info without the sniping you might see elsewhere. I think the moderators do a nice job with this...
    Last edited by shoedaddy; 01-14-2009 at 08:49 AM.
    Ludwig Classic Maple w/Supraphonic Snare
    Sonor S-Classix
    Paiste New Signature Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by redheaddrummer03 View Post
    YEAH BABY!!! Very nice Les!!
    Thanks man! They sound that good too!

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    OH man Les!!!

I hope you remembered to retract the bass drum spurs before putting that bass drum on the nice hardwood floor.
    Spurs??...what spurs??? he-he...ooops

Quote Originally Posted by afterbrnr View Post
    i bought a pearl drum kit on ebay about a year ago. it's a big kit 6 toms and two kick drums. they are dx profession series and the wrap is real unusual. they look like little mirrors all over them.

anybody know anything about them? i've looked around and i can't find a thing on them. i would like to note, i don't use them to record with as the bearing edges are kinda rough and need to be re-cut on a few of them.

i bought them cause they looked cool. they do sound good but are extremely hard to tune on account of the bearing edges.

all i could find out about them is possibly eric singer of kiss played a kit like this on the revenge tour.

if anybody has any information on these drums i'd like to hear it. i have lots of pictures of them.

thanks
    Sounds cool dude and welcome to drumchat!

Quote Originally Posted by Norske View Post
    WOW, Les those look really gorgeous man!!

Those two extra toms look pretty lonely in the corner though..... It had to be hard to decide which tom to mount on the kit....but then again you have the option of swapping it out, adding one, or adding two....great looking kit and excellent buy!!
    yeah...I'm a one up, one down kinda feller and as soon as I get optimounts for the other two drums, I'll be doing some set up experimenting.
    they are indeed pretty!

Quote Originally Posted by shoedaddy View Post
    I just picked a Pearl Masters in the Lime Sparkle fade. My other kit is a Vistalite, and they have a completely different feel. The sound of the Masters is--well, the word "awesome" is almost a cliche and just doesn't do it justice, but you get the idea. I'll post pictures soon, but I wondered if you all are happy with the Masters snares. I'm thinking of getting a matching one, but I also like Pearl's Maple Free Floating Snares (haven't tried the brass or copper). Any recommendations for a good Pearl snare to go with my new Masters?

BTW--I agree with what some others said about Drum Chat. It's a good friendly place to go for advice and for sharing drum info without the sniping you might see elsewhere. I think the moderators do a nice job with this...
    I'd go with a matching Masters maple. I love those snares! -Les

User Info Menu

I just picked up a Pearl Masters in the Lime Sparkle fade. My other kit is a Vistalite, and they have a completely different feel. The sound of the Masters is--well, the word "awesome" is almost a cliche and just doesn't do it justice, but you get the idea. I'll post pictures soon, but I wondered if you all are happy with the Masters snares. I'm thinking of getting a matching one, but I also like Pearl's Maple Free Floating Snares (haven't tried the brass or copper). Any recommendations for a good Pearl snare to go with my new Masters?

I agree with Les on this. I have a masters snare 14x5.5, and it's incredible! One of my favs for sure.

Click for Gear Pics!

User Info Menu

I agree as well. I have the matching snare with my Masters kit, and it's a beast! I love that snare!!

Now let's see those pics!!
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Norske View Post
    I agree as well. I have the matching snare with my Masters kit, and it's a beast! I love that snare!!

Now let's see those pics!!
    I, too, am going to agree as I just picked my matching snare up before the holidays and am NOT disappointed!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Sounds like it's unanimous (so far). Matching it is. Any big differences noted between the 5.5 and 6.5? The price difference is negligible, but, since I'll probably have to order this, I wonder if anyone noted a big difference in sound.
    Sonor S-Classix

User Info Menu

Sounds like it's unanimous (so far). Matching it is. Any big differences noted between the 5.5 and 6.5? The price difference is negligible, but, since I'll probably have to order this, I wonder if anyone noted a big difference in sound.
    Well, when you add an inch in snare depth, the 6.5 will have a meatier sound to it and the 5.5 will have a higher crack. Either way, the maple shell is going to blow you away on those Masters snares!

Congrats on your choice!!

Click for Gear Pics!

User Info Menu

Whats the difference with the Pearl masters mcx 6 ply maple and the masters premium 6 ply maple?
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Andreeew View Post
    Whats the difference with the Pearl masters mcx 6 ply maple and the masters premium 6 ply maple?
    I can't say 100% but I think the biggest difference is the finish. MCX is a wrap and Premiums are lacquer.

Ok, I just looked and that's not totally correct.

I think the amount of plys also is taken into account. I think the MCX is 6 ply maple and the Premiums are 4 ply.

Both to make birch shells, too.
    Last edited by Bish; 01-14-2009 at 12:10 PM.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I was reading the descriptions on their website and it says the Premium offers 4ply and 6ply shells. I also noticed that the Premiums also comes with black or gold hardware. Overall the Premiums are more expensive right?
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Thanks for the snare info. When I bought it, I assumed the lime sparkle was a wrap, but now I'm 99% certain that it's a lacquer finish. I'll check it again tonight. Once I get the snare in, I'll be sure to post some pictures of the complete kit.
    Sonor S-Classix

User Info Menu

Thanks for the snare info. When I bought it, I assumed the lime sparkle was a wrap, but now I'm 99% certain that it's a lacquer finish. I'll check it again tonight. Once I get the snare in, I'll be sure to post some pictures of the complete kit.
    I kinda think it's a wrap. You'll notice the seam if that is the case. They didn't try to hide it all all.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Lez...That's a great looking set. I Love the finish and really like how compact and functional the set up is. Having a lot of drums is great but, for me, it doesn't get much better than this.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Classy set you have there Lez! Don't rock 'em too hard! Just kidding! Rock away.
    Kits
    DW Performance(white marine): 8x7/10x8/12x9/16x14/22x18
    Mapex Saturn III(transparent walnut): 10x8/12x9/16x16/22x18/14x5.5

Snares
    Pork Pie 14x7 Cherry/Bubinga
    Pork Pie 14x6.5 Big Black Bob
    Mapex Saturn 14x5.5 Maple/Walnut
    Homemade 14x5.5 Maple(10 ply Keller)

Cymbals
    Sabian
    14" AA regular hats
    10" AAX splash