Page 52 of 67 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 1659

Thread: Pearl Drums Discussion

User Info Menu

Default Re: Pearl Drums Discussion

Tom sizes are standard 8x12, 9x13, and 16x16 floor tom, 5.5x14 matching snare and 18x22 bass drum. I added a 10" roto tom to give the kit a 3/1 config.

The studio is a converted garage with separate control room area that houses the Roland DAW mixer. Due to the studios tight confined space, I had to bring in my plexi-glass drum shield to keep the drum and cymbal wash out of the vocal and instrument mics. I hate playing behind it but it helps break up the sound bouncing around in the room and the recordings have improved with the use of the shield.

With limited channels on the mixer for the drums, a compromise was struck with the mic placement and mic selection. We're using 3 over head mics, snare, HH and kick.

Overheads:

SM57 on HH:
    Last edited by late8; 05-18-2012 at 12:15 PM.

User Info Menu

Audix D6 deep into the kick:

SM57 on the snare:

I'm finding day by day that I'm so glad I invested in a few Gibraltar racks. They have such a small footprint compared to a kit on stands and with the studio being so cramped, the rack really 'shines'.

User Info Menu

Nice set up late. I was wondering about that one cymbal position. Is it because of the plexi- glass shield making the area too small. Just wondering. How does the drums sound to you inside that shield. I know you are using it for recording purposes but still would like to know how it affects the sound of your drums when not micked etc.

User Info Menu

@Gilles-

#1-I was wondering about that one cymbal position. Is it because of the plexi- glass shield making the area too small.

Yes, the cymbal position is a compromise due to the plexi-glass shield and the small floor space with five people crammed into the room. Here's a pic pointing out the challenges of this room. 1 of 5 vocal mics highlighted in the red circle is positioned right in front of the kit. This mic position is also a compromise because the control-room wall is directly behind the mic. A mere one meter clearance before the shield hits the keyboard (lower arrow)

#2-How does the drums sound to you inside that shield. I know you are using it for recording purposes but still would like to know how it affects the sound of your drums when not micked etc.

The drums are 'in your face' behind the plexi-glass shield. I should have my own monitoring system (ear monitor or floor monitor) but again, due to the size of the room, a floor monitor is out of the question. Even if we were not recording, the small size of this room makes the kit unmangeable to control the cymbal wash (300 hrtz+) and the others have commented that using the shield helps them hear the monitors that are mounted on the wall much better.

A positive aspect from playing a small room is the critical need for dynamic playing control and extra attention to the visual cues from the other musicians in the room. I have a headphone amp I could plug into the room PA but I manage to hear okay but I've read that most drummers hate playing behind a shield. The drums sound like your playing in a box without mics. If there's a wall behind the kit and a shield in front of it (like where mine sits), the sounds goes straight up and out of the top of the kit. The kit sounds 'boxed' in.

This pic is shows my only entrance/exit to the kit. The guitar player's spot is right next to my ride cymbal and the red line shows the edge of the plexi-glass hence, the 17" swish pang mounted at the center of the kit rather than to the right of my ride where I normally have it.
    Last edited by late8; 05-18-2012 at 12:25 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I had an opportunity to snap some phone pics of my SBX kit that's set up at my friend's home-studio during band practice yesterday. I was using his entry level Yamaha kit for a few weeks but decided to drag my Gib rack and the SBX kit into the fray rather than playing on his Yammies.

I'm glad I did. Nothing against the Yamaha kit but comparing the two is like comparing apples to oranges; the Yammies being a hybrid kit and what appears to be a mahogany, poplar/basswood type shells with stamped bass drum spurs and the SBX being 100% birch with lugs, bass spurs, and hoops taken from the MCX line before being discontinued in '08.
    Dang, Rich! I love all the axes on the wall!

User Info Menu

I read something interesting the other day about Chad Smith. He plays a Pearl Acrylic kit with a Ultra Cast snare. They also mentioned that he never plays his Signature snare and that made me wonder why. I always thought that a signature snare was the best sounding snare from the endorsed drummer. Maybe it is just a way for Pearl or other drum makers to use these snares as sales tools. Interesting. Do any of you have a Signature snare that you would swear by. I always wanted to get a Neil Peart snare but wonder is this is favorite or not.

User Info Menu

I noticed the shield appears to be 6+' high. Is that standard and what would happen to the sound if the shield was only as high as the highest cymbal?
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    I noticed the shield appears to be 6+' high. Is that standard and what would happen to the sound if the shield was only as high as the highest cymbal?
    Yes the shield is a DrumPerfect PRO 5.0 x 6 Panel Drum Shield and weighs 101 lbs. Regardless how tall, the panels will reflect anything set up behind it and without adequate monitoring, it's a challenge to hear the other instruments crammed into a small room. Sorry for the late response.

Off topic: The second Pearl kit (ECX) with a recently purchased Gretsch USA Custom 6.5x14" maple snare:

Last edited by late8; 06-06-2012 at 02:16 PM.

User Info Menu

That's a sweet kit Late. Here's some pics of my 1969 Presidents. I had to let go of the Blue Agate kit last week for my new DW's though. Wife made me.....But I kept the Red Agate, and gig with it regularly. They sound amazing.

User Info Menu

My ELX in Black Burst:

Last edited by 1DrumBum; 07-01-2012 at 07:24 PM.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Nice kit 1DrumBum love the finish. How do you like the EC frosted with Reverse dot on your snare. I have it on my MCX snare and love it. Nice all around head IMO with such tone control.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Off topic: The second Pearl kit (ECX) with a recently purchased Gretsch USA Custom 6.5x14" maple snare:

I love this kit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Nice kit 1DrumBum love the finish. How do you like the EC frosted with Reverse dot on your snare. I have it on my MCX snare and love it. Nice all around head IMO with such tone control.
    This is the first time I have tried that snare head and I am hooked! I could not believe how much more crack my snare had by switching to it from the Evans coated that I was using. I actually had to tune it down a little as it was blowing everyone's ears out in our practice studio. It will cut through anything!
    Da' Bum
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

nice kits lat8 & durmbum
    Last edited by s_tic_k; 07-07-2012 at 04:03 AM.

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Pearl Drums Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by 1DrumBum View Post
    This is the first time I have tried that snare head and I am hooked! I could not believe how much more crack my snare had by switching to it from the Evans coated that I was using. I actually had to tune it down a little as it was blowing everyone's ears out in our practice studio. It will cut through anything!
    Yes I agree with you on that. I found this head so facinating cause it does'nt matter where on the head you hit you get different sounds. Great for rim shots and ghost notes. I don't think that I will ever go back to another snare head again unless they make something better. I also have the EC2 clear on all my toms and they sound great too. So to me the EC series is the greatest heads out there for me.

User Info Menu

I read something interesting the other day about Chad Smith. He plays a Pearl Acrylic kit with a Ultra Cast snare. They also mentioned that he never plays his Signature snare and that made me wonder why. I always thought that a signature snare was the best sounding snare from the endorsed drummer. Maybe it is just a way for Pearl or other drum makers to use these snares as sales tools. Interesting. Do any of you have a Signature snare that you would swear by. I always wanted to get a Neil Peart snare but wonder is this is favorite or not.
    Interesting. To date, there's no record of Pearl making an acrylic shelled kit that I can recall. It might be a special request that they take only from roster artists in their Masterworks program.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Interesting. To date, there's no record of Pearl making an acrylic shelled kit that I can recall. It might be a special request that they take only from roster artists in their Masterworks program.
    Russ if you watched the Rock & Roll of fame where Hot Chilly Peppers performed you will see the Acrylic kit he is using and Chad only plays Pearls. Here is a description of his kit

Pearl Master Series Spec Acrylic Drum Kit with custom sandblasted
    12x8 tom
    14x14 floor tom
    16x16 floor tom
    24x18 kick drum
    14×5 Pearl Ultracast Snare

Sabian cymbals:
    14" AAX-Celerator Hats,
    21" AA Rock Ride,
    20" AA Rock Crash,
    19" AA Medium Crash,
    19" Vault Holy China,
    10" AAX Splash

you are right about it being a special order made just for him

User Info Menu

Tommy Lee's clear Pearl acrylics were one of the highlights of NAMM this year as well.
    Da' Bum
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 1DrumBum View Post
    Tommy Lee's clear Pearl acrylics were one of the highlights of NAMM this year as well.
    So I guess Acrylic drum kit are available from Pearl only custom made for special artist I guess. No mention of any Acrylic drums on their catalogues.

User Info Menu

If youre willing to pay the money Im sure they'd build one for you as well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    If youre willing to pay the money Im sure they'd build one for you as well.
    I am a wood shell fan and acrylic to me look so cheap like plastic but then that is just me. I am pretty sure they are expensive to buy and not everyone can afford them unles you are a big drum Star of which I am not.LOL

User Info Menu

NEW TOPIC!!!!!! ( not really just need to post this, sorry if it's out of place)
    Hey guys, I need some help here. I have been playing drums seriously about 2 years ( still not very good) and I need to upgrade my crappy starcaster fender drumset,a worse than entry grade set. I would like to upgrade to a pearl vision, a kind of a mid range drumset. however though, I need to know the difference between VB, VBL,vml,vba and which one has the best sound but isn't th most expensive. yeah.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by imnotverygood9 View Post
    NEW TOPIC!!!!!! ( not really just need to post this, sorry if it's out of place)
    Hey guys, I need some help here. I have been playing drums seriously about 2 years ( still not very good) and I need to upgrade my crappy starcaster fender drumset,a worse than entry grade set. I would like to upgrade to a pearl vision, a kind of a mid range drumset. however though, I need to know the difference between VB, VBL,vml,vba and which one has the best sound but isn't th most expensive. yeah.
    VB, VBA are basically the same kit except for a few hardware upgrades (VBA 900 series tom holders) and the Artisan II finishes. Both VB and VBA use hybrid 6 ply 7.5 mm shell with the inner ply as birch. VB comes in black hardware if you order the wine or black wrap finish. Both VB and VBA come with a matching snare.

VBL is 100% birch, VML is 100% maple. They both have 900 series tom holders and a SensiTone steel snare. Best sound?? I have the 2007 version of this line Pearl ECX (100% maple) and a 2007 Pearl Session Studio in 100% birch (one grade better than ECX). Both have their unique characteristics; maple has a full warm sound, birch has attack, and volume. Go test drive both kits. The VB comes in black hardware and is cheaper but that doesn't mean is sounds better than the VBA. Hybrid shells can sound much different than those that are not.

VBL kit config:

Since you sound like your on a limited budget, I'd get the VB in wine with the black hardware. It's a huge upgrade from where your at and is the cheapest out of the 4 you asked about plus the black hardware looks killer!

VML features:

Last edited by late8; 07-10-2012 at 02:57 PM.

User Info Menu

The new Pearl Vision VBA in Starry Night finish looks gorgeous!!
    Only 150 made, and only on sale in Europe. If I had the money spare I'd be so tempted!

Mapex Armory - Photon Blue
    Mapex VXB kit - Transparent Black
    Mapex & Pearl snares
    Paiste Alpha & RUDE cymbals
    Remo & Vater

User Info Menu

Wow that is a beautiful finish but is only available in Europe that is a shame.