Page 13 of 67 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: Pearl Drums Discussion

User Info Menu

Default Re: Pearl Drums Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    how much you wanna bet those sennheisers cost more than 250 each j/k you know your stuff mad respect
    You got that right about the 421's!

Thanks for the kind words Russ!

-Les

dave0549jv Guest

say, i've got a set of pearl exports that i bought used. i dont have any idea how old they are. is there a manufacture date stamped on anywhere maybe? i'd post pics if i could find my camera...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dave0549jv View Post
    say, i've got a set of pearl exports that i bought used. i dont have any idea how old they are. is there a manufacture date stamped on anywhere maybe? i'd post pics if i could find my camera...
    Pix please. Its easier to I.D them if we can see the lugs and badges.

btw. Welcome to DC dave!!!

-Les
    Last edited by Lesizmor; 08-20-2009 at 09:48 PM.

User Info Menu

Nice score on those Pearls Les!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MadGary View Post
    Nice score on those Pearls Les!
    Thanks MG!

-Les

User Info Menu

dang les. those cleaned up nicely. they look new in the pics. i can't believe thats the original snare.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    dang les. those cleaned up nicely. they look new in the pics. i can't believe thats the original snare.
    Thanks your funkyness! yep..all original 'cept the tom hoops, bass hoops, opti mount/GK-90 plate and heads. start to finish..$250

-Les

User Info Menu

do you still have the visions
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

nope. I had to sell 2 kits when my wife lost her job a few months back. My EX is the only kit right now.

-Les

User Info Menu

Beautiful work Les. Couldn't tell from new.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ribkick View Post
    Beautiful work Les. Couldn't tell from new.
    Thanks RK!

It was a labor of love1

-Les

User Info Menu

Les, have you got your next kit picked out for when you have the bug and the funds?

I'm really liking that Gray sparkle Renown kit. That could be next for me. Shoot, I'm in the Pearl forum....ooops.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Les, have you got your next kit picked out for when you have the bug and the funds?

I'm really liking that Gray sparkle Renown kit. That could be next for me. Shoot, I'm in the Pearl forum....ooops.
    Looking at a couple different kits at the present time. A Masters BRX 10., 12, 14, toms with a MRX 18x20" kick on CL...Also, I played a Meridian maple 5 pc at interstate music last weekend and let me tell you Mark..WOW! I was truly impressed!! I have also tried out a Ludwig EPIC ProBeat kit with a 14x24 kick that just smoked!.. My funds are very limited, but there is a need for a second kit. My wife has started to get regular unemployment checks now and the car has stopped the impromptu meltdown. My birthday is coming up in September and I hope to be getting some b-day cashola. Band (Back Row Prophets) is getting busy..and ..... I am also doing studio drum tracks for a Christian artist who is recording a CD and digs my playing. Also the Steve Hantschel band CD is finished and has been released locally...I need another kit. as soon as possible.

-Les

User Info Menu

Good job reminding me about the Ludwigs. I had forgotten about that Epic series. I'll have to get a better look at them.

I'm not really ready yet. I'm happy with the 3 kits I kept after the hurricane went through my pocketbook.

I think overall the Pearls are the best value I have.

Glad to see you are keeping busy!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Good job reminding me about the Ludwigs. I had forgotten about that Epic series. I'll have to get a better look at them.

I'm not really ready yet. I'm happy with the 3 kits I kept after the hurricane went through my pocketbook.

I think overall the Pearls are the best value I have.

Glad to see you are keeping busy!
    The EPICs are a real nice dance!

User Info Menu

i never thought anyone would actually make a hybrid out of maple and birch, but it was long overdue
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lesizmor View Post
    nope. I had to sell 2 kits when my wife lost her job a few months back. My EX is the only kit right now.

-Les
    i think the wife would be the one wearing the EX badge before i sold my gear

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    i think the wife would be the one wearing the EX badge before i sold my gear
    HA! good one! ...eh, it's just stuff. I'll get more eventually. For now, the Pearls are rockin' the house! Something about the 1990 EXPORT..the later models don't have it.

-Lester

User Info Menu

Hello. It's great to find this friendly forum. I am a 46 year old newbie and I just bought my 6 year old daughter a Pearl Forum kit with Zildjian ZBT Pro4 cymbals. I have so many questions about the Forum kit starting with the snare. Although a newbie, I have a specific sound I am looking for which I can't seem to find on the Forum snare. I know it's an entry level kit but I also read about some making it sound like a pro kit. I tried replacing the head with Remo Emperor X but it still sounds crappy. Upon inspection, I noticed the bearing edge is uneven on one part. Could that be the culprit or is it that the Forum snare is just plain crappy sounding? Too much overtones and ringing plus the strainer sounds cheap. The toms sounds great though. I am from the Philippines and according to the dealer where I bought it from, Pearl's warranty does not apply outside of the USA. All advices and tips will be very much appreciated.

Cheers.
    Last edited by syncopated; 09-06-2009 at 01:32 AM.

dave0549jv Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lesizmor View Post
    Pix please. Its easier to I.D them if we can see the lugs and badges.

btw. Welcome to DC dave!!!

-Les
    Thanks for the warm welcome!

i still cant find my camera, but after studying your pics and comparing them, i think we both have the same kit. same sizes, same lugs, same badge. the only differences i can find are the color (mine's wine red lacquer,) and the mounts. did yours come with ISS? oh yeah, and you got a way better deal than i did... lol.

Mine came with remo heads, pinstripes on the batter side and weatherking resos. i haven't quite got them tuned how i want them, and i was thinking about switching to aquarians or evans. which ones are you using?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dave0549jv View Post
    Thanks for the warm welcome!

i still cant find my camera, but after studying your pics and comparing them, i think we both have the same kit. same sizes, same lugs, same badge. the only differences i can find are the color (mine's wine red lacquer,) and the mounts. did yours come with ISS? oh yeah, and you got a way better deal than i did... lol.

Mine came with remo heads, pinstripes on the batter side and weatherking resos. i haven't quite got them tuned how i want them, and i was thinking about switching to aquarians or evans. which ones are you using?
    My kit I have dated as a 1990 due to the birch inner plys on the shells and the dual badges on the toms.

When I found my EXs .. they were in dire need of a good cleaning and tweeking. They had been stacked in a closet for about 8 years (according to the previous owner) and still had stock resonant heads and loads of dirt and grime. I got them home and completely dismantled the shells down to wrap only status. I used POWERCHORD guitar degunker and protector to clean and polish the wrap finish. I took some 240 grit sandpaper and went over the bearing edges to smooth them out and proceeded to painstakingly detail clean and polish all the 3pc long style lugs to a beautiful luster.
    I opted to get the most resonance out of these already good sounding shells as I could by adding some aftermarket upgrades. I changed out the shell - through BT-1 tom arm reciever on the rack tom for a Pearl aluminum optimount that I got at a second hand shop for $15! and purchased a Pearl GK-90 masking plate to cover the large hole that the absence of the tom mount bracket left and added Gibraltar 2.5mm tri flange chrome hoops in place of the wimpy 1.6mm stock Pearl hoopage. I also took from my on hand private inventory (2) 10 ply maple kick drum hoops and swapped the stock black steel hoops for them. a dab of petroleum jelly on the tension rods, some Aquarian Response 2 batter / Classic clear resos on toms, Hi Energy snare batter / Hi Performance snare side, and an Evans EMAD / Aquarian Force II kick reso, good tuning and this kit sounds like a kit costing $1500 instaed of the $250 I have invested!

These older Export shell are worth the upgrades. believe me. There is something just "special" about the tone of these 20 year old birch / mahogany shells that the later model Export series (poplar) shells just ain't got. They are nice in their own right, but the older shells are just better IMHO.

-Les

User Info Menu

I used to be in love with the Pearl MLX kits yrs back.
    They sounded really warm and full!! And the finishes were beautiful.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RickyT View Post
    I used to be in love with the Pearl MLX kits yrs back.
    They sounded really warm and full!! And the finishes were beautiful.
    You are killin' me with the Minnieapplelips!

-Les

User Info Menu

Didn't they even make maple Exports at one point?
    Matt

User Info Menu

Yep. for 1 year in '06 (I believe) The ECX.

-Les