Page 65 of 67 FirstFirst ... 15556364656667 LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,625 of 1659

Thread: Pearl Drums Discussion

User Info Menu

Default Re: Pearl Drums Discussion

I am glad for you Rich. It takes a lot of work switching and moving drums around etc. As long as you can do that then this shows how great you feel.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I am glad for you Rich. It takes a lot of work switching and moving drums around etc. As long as you can do that then this shows how great you feel.
    Thanks Gilles. I really appreciate your presence here!

User Info Menu

New Masters out on Pearl site. They no longer carry MCX only special orders and replaced them with
    MMC
    Masters Maple Complete which is a cheaper version of the MCX ( 6 ply shells)
    MMR
    Masters Maple Reserve ( 4 ply shells)

User Info Menu

Here is one Pearl family member too..

I got my first drum kit about a 20 years ago, my parents bought me drum kit from local music store. Brand of these chinese/taiwan cheapkit is Davis Pro Series. Never heard, you cannot find any information of that brand over internet..

I've played with those a lot, many years and in several bands.. Last spring I was like "Now, it's time to buy DRUMS, I mean REAL deal!". I've had a dream from childhood: Tama drums (surprise surprise, thanks to Lars Ulrich, every young childdrummers hero).

Started to look different variations and suddenly I checked out Pearls, I liked those.. At same time I was confused and excited, there was plenty of series: Export, Target, Forum, Vision, Masters, Reference... Every price category: Under 500€, 500-1000€, 1000-1500€, 1500-2000€, 2000+€.. I went to stores, watched different models, tried plenty of different series and then I found Pearl Vision -drums. Affordable price, nice look, awesome sound. I WANT THIS KIT!

So I did, wanted it, bought it. Now I can say, I'm so happy and enjoy playing probably the best drum kit at it's price category. Simultaneously did upgraded my cymbalsetup and updated my Meinl Classics -cymbals to Sabian AAX series and I'm happyhappyhappy..

My last update is 8" tom and next I'm gonna hunt a second bass drum..

Now I'm "Pearlist".
    Pearl VBL Concord fade (22" bd, 8"-10"-12"-14"-16" tt)
    Pearl JJ1365 Joey Jordison signature snare
    Sabian AAX cymbal setup (14" X-plosion hats, 8" Splash, 14" Crash, 16"-18" Fast Crashes, 18" China, 21" Raw Bell Dry Ride)
    Tama Iron Cobra douple pedal (powerglide) and HH-stand (flexi glide)

User Info Menu

Nice choice and welcome to the Pearl family. I am a fan of Pearl drums and have been for over 40 years.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 04-22-2016 at 06:38 AM.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Pearl Drums Discussion

hi guys
    used to play years ago and gave up (bad move) got back into it for a friends band about 2 years ago.neede a kit so i bought what i used to play. i managed to find a vintage set of pearl exports in blue mist,they are in excellent condition and with a new set of heads sound fantastic. dont write off the older kits they were well made and ify you can find a good one will last almost forever.
    danq the old stick man

User Info Menu

Congrats on finding a vintage Export kit you can't go wrong with the Export. They were very popular amongst drummers for decades.

User Info Menu

Re-joined the Pearl family with a purchase of a Pearl BLX kit with 10x8, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 22x16 and 6.5x14 MLX snare! Waiting for them to come through UPS!! Can't wait for them to get here!
    -Tama Granstar II (12x11, 16x16, 22x16)
    -Yamaha 7000 Series (12x8, 13x9, 16x16 22x18)
    -Crush Sublime E3 (12x8, 16x14, 24x17)
    -Pearl Mixed Series kit (8x7, 10x8, 15x13, 20x14)
    -Brady Jarrah Ply 8x14
    -HHG Purpleheart/Cherry Stave 7x14
    -HHG Red Birch Stave 7x14
    -Pearl Masters MCX 5.5x14
    -Pearl Steel (Pre-Sensitone) 6.5x14
    -Pearl Vintage Professional Series 6.5x14
    -Tama Imperialstar Seamless Steel 6.5x14
    -Tama Soundworks Maple 6.5x14
    -Premier (African Mahogany with Beech Re-rings) 8x14
    -Remo Bravo II 5.5x14
    -OCDP Maple 6x14
    -Crush Aluminum 5.5x14
    -Crush 10 ply Maple 6x14
    -Trixon Birch 5.5x14
    -Wuhan Traditional Cymbals
    -Paiste 2002, 602,

User Info Menu

Did not think that you had left the Pearl family. Welcome back.

User Info Menu

Did not think that you had left the Pearl family. Welcome back.
    Well, I never fully left I guess. I just shuffled a couple of Pearl kits trying to find the wood makeup that best spoke to me.

Started with a 6pc Pearl Prestige Session Select, then I sold that and got a 6pc Masters MCX, then I returned that and got a 5pc Pearl DLX, then I exchanged that for a 7pc Pearl DX, then I sold the 12", 13", 16" and 22" pieces of the DX and kept the black 10x8 and 14x12 DX toms, then I got a sick deal on a 4pc MLX, then I flipped that kit, and now I'm fully back with this black 6 pc BLX kit.
    -Brady Jarrah Ply 8x14
    -Remo Bravo II 5.5x14
    -OCDP Maple 6x14
    -Crush Aluminum 5.5x14
    -Crush 10 ply Maple 6x14
    -Trixon Birch 5.5x14
    -Paiste 2002, 602,

User Info Menu

Wow, sure a lot of test driving lol Glad you finally found the kit that sounds good to you. I bought my MCX when they were first introduced and have loved them since never really had the time or money to venture around to other kits. My first Pearls where back in the late 60's then traded them on a car lol. Got married etc and never played again till 2005 when I got my MCX. I do not gig at all or even jam just use the kit in the studio for practicing or killing time when not busy with other life things.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dirtysticks View Post
    Re-joined the Pearl family with a purchase of a Pearl BLX kit with 10x8, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 22x16 and 6.5x14 MLX snare! Waiting for them to come through UPS!! Can't wait for them to get here!
    Pearl BLX kits are really sweet!

User Info Menu

Wow, sure a lot of test driving lol Glad you finally found the kit that sounds good to you. I bought my MCX when they were first introduced and have loved them since never really had the time or money to venture around to other kits. My first Pearls where back in the late 60's then traded them on a car lol. Got married etc and never played again till 2005 when I got my MCX. I do not gig at all or even jam just use the kit in the studio for practicing or killing time when not busy with other life things.
    Yeah, I have done a lot of drum shifting lol, but I think this set will calm me down. I liked the MLX I had and it had a great sound, but I'm glad to be getting a birch version, especially with the sizes of the BLX being better than the MLX and the addition of the MLX snare.

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Pearl BLX kits are really sweet!

Yes they are. The MLX kit I had was nice as well, but I always tend to gravitate to the birch sound, and I'm excited about these drums.
    -Brady Jarrah Ply 8x14
    -Remo Bravo II 5.5x14
    -OCDP Maple 6x14
    -Crush Aluminum 5.5x14
    -Crush 10 ply Maple 6x14
    -Trixon Birch 5.5x14
    -Paiste 2002, 602,

User Info Menu

Hey Pearl guys, what are your thoughts on the optimounts? How do they fit into drum bags/cases? Is there another advantage to the aluminum mounts other than weight and is the weight difference significant enough to warrant the upgrade cost?
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Hey Pearl guys, what are your thoughts on the optimounts? How do they fit into drum bags/cases? Is there another advantage to the aluminum mounts other than weight and is the weight difference significant enough to warrant the upgrade cost?
    I had the Optimounts and had issues with them choking the shells. I found that if the rubber grommets were the issue and found the fix by bending back the top and bottom brackets on the mount so the grommets could clear the flesh hoop on the drum heads. As far as fitting in cases, I had no issues.

User Info Menu

Did you guys check out the 2017 new Sonic Select. Worth a look at.

User Info Menu

well.. thanks to Swee****er and the contest I won during the July Drum Month I'll be rejoining the ranks of the Pearl Drum owners. I won a Pearl Session Studio Classic in Sequoia Red... which is really strange because I was putting together a red themed kit using the Red Paiste Colorsound cymbals and Evans Red Hydraulics.. I was looking for a shell pack that would look good with the red (I was thinking Satin White or Silver Sparkle) .. and I wanted a virgin kick since this is a rack mounted project.
    And out of nowhere I get a call that I won just such a kit! ... unbelievable eh?

Drums... That's how I roll!

http://facebook.com/davewilson831

The Gretsch Drums Woodshed

User Info Menu

O M G!

Congratulations. Looks really high quality, too!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Congrats Dave and welcome back to the Pearl family.

User Info Menu

Going with a 4 up 1 down set up in the garage:

Pearl '89 Export-Birch/Luan

(2x) 22x16, 10x9, 12x9, 13x10, 14x11 16x16, 14x5.5 steel snare

14" Zildjian K Custom hats
    16" Zildjian K Custom crash
    18" Zildjian K Custom crash
    20" Zildjian K Custom dry ride
    19" Zildjian A Med. crash
    19" Zildjian A Heavy rock crash
    19" Zildjian A Swish pang
    14" Sabian HHX Evolution mini china
    17" Sabian AAX Extreme chinese

Last edited by late8; 08-14-2017 at 10:18 AM.

User Info Menu

It's been a while since I've posted. Hiya! The following is my review of the Pearl Roadshow kit, now that I've played and dissected it.

It sounded great out of the box. Note: I did swap out the batter snare head with a Remo Emp X and the hi-hat with a 14" hvy Paiste PST.
    If your budget has a lower ceiling, this kit will meet your needs.
    And now the bad news..
    The quality control is a disappointment. The stock heads are cheap and the included crash and hi-hat could be better.
    I found uneven sanding/cutting along the bearing edge on two of the drums. The lugs on all of the drums don't thread smoothly, as they should. The snare wire straps are plastic filament. I replaced these a.s.a.p. with Puresound brass snare wires and nylon straps.

This review is not meant as a deterrent. It's a great kit and I still play it. However, I expected more for my $ and I will be moving on to a new kit soon.

I play:

Drums & Hardware: DW.

Cymbals: Paiste.

Heads: Evans.

Sticks: Vic Firth and Pro Mark 5A, 7A.

User Info Menu

Well....it's a budget friendly, entry level kit. Typically, any cymbals that come with a new kit are going to be low grade sheet stamped brass. Factory heads are almost always going to be inferior as well, unless your buying an upper-mid to high range kit. The lugs are almost always assembled "dry" on new drums...even the more expensive ones. Just dab a little Vaseline on the tension rods before you screw them in. They should be fine. If the threads are crossed, that's another issue.
    As far as the bearing edges go, if you can get the drums tuned up easily and they sound good, then I wouldn't worry about it.
    Just play them and have fun! As time goes on, you can upgrade the heads and cymbals as budget allows.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I ended up selling my beloved BLX kit a while back. It had some broken and stripped lugs so I sold it and put the money into other Drums. I ended up getting a Mapex Daturn V which was a great kit but I had to sell that due to unforeseen situations. I just bought a Pearl Wood-Fiberglass kit in Platinum Mist finish (13x9, 16x16, 22x14) and I couldn’t be happier! This kit looks and sounds amazing. I’m a happy drum guy again. I also bought a 6.5x14 Pearl Custom Classic one piece snare which sounds crazy good too!
    Last edited by dirtysticks; 03-03-2018 at 03:26 PM.
    -Brady Jarrah Ply 8x14
    -Remo Bravo II 5.5x14
    -OCDP Maple 6x14
    -Crush Aluminum 5.5x14
    -Crush 10 ply Maple 6x14
    -Trixon Birch 5.5x14
    -Paiste 2002, 602,

User Info Menu

Picked this lovely kit up last week. Pearl Masters Premium Maple "Redline" Black on black looks amazing. Yet to use it in anger but am very much looking forward to it.

Pearl Masters Premium Maple "Redline" by Kevin Frost, on Flickr
    fullsizeoutput_f11 by Kevin Frost, on Flickr
    The Varukers.