Page 23 of 67 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Pearl Drums Discussion

User Info Menu

Default Re: Pearl Drums Discussion

Rhd how do you tune your refs. i like the lower register of tuning. I think its a nice warm and big bodied sound. How about your kick ? im am literally close to wrinkle with a ported reso and my batter is JUST a hair past wrinkle with an evans pillow and its NOT bad..

User Info Menu

I'd been playing the same set of Pearl MLX ( 20 x14 , 10x8 , ,14 x14 , 14 x 6.5 free floating ) for years until I recently acquired a set of birch-shelled Pearl Masters Studios ( 22 x 18 , 10 X 8 , 12 x10 , 14 x 12 , 16 x 14 , 14 x 5 , I think ). Just playing a different , bigger set , which produces a very different attack , really has turned me around , technically and tonally - the hard kick the bass drum alone produces comes as a (welcome ) shock.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by animal View Post
    Rhd how do you tune your refs. i like the lower register of tuning. I think its a nice warm and big bodied sound. How about your kick ? im am literally close to wrinkle with a ported reso and my batter is JUST a hair past wrinkle with an evans pillow and its NOT bad..
    They aren't refs. They are Session Maples. I am jealous that you have Refs though
    Tama Starclassic Birch in Emerald Sea Fade 24x18, 13x10, 18x16
    Mapex Black Panther Phosphor Bronze 5.5x14
    Remo Coated Emperors (or Evans Clear EC2s) over Remo Coated Ambassadors
    Remo Coated Ambassador Over Hazy Diplomat Snare Side
    Dream Contact 14" Hi-Hats, Zildjian Avedis 21" Sweet Ride, Zildjian A Custom 18" Projection Crash, Wuhan 18" China
    Vic Firth 5As and 5Bs/Sound Percussion 5Bs and 2Bs

"Da head of the drum doesn't matter, it's da head of da drummer that matters most..." -Phrogge

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by animal View Post
    Don't have Refs...yet. One day though, or maybe I will bite the bullet and just get a set of Masterworks.

As far as tuning goes as long as you are happy with the way they sound then you are golden! Nice kit too!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tama View Post
    I've always loved that set up RHD. By the way, give me those K Custom Hybrid hats please
    Man MT, you want me to donate lots of gear huh??
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Hey Pearl fans... I haven't seen any posts about Pearl Rhythm Travelers. I'm asking because I picked up a set on Craig's list for $50.00. They were missing cymbal stands, the snare and the snare stand, and they needed a lot of cleaning but now look great. I'm using them as a basement practice kit, and I found a 13" Pearl Export snare in the same finish. I already had a couple Pearl cymbal stands, so the set is again pretty close to stock. I like the sound, although it's quite different... any thoughts on these pro or con? Has anyone ever used them for small gigs? Any thoughts on tuning them? I have yet to mic them but plan to in the next few weeks.

Thanks for your input!
    Cassidy
    Drumslinger

User Info Menu

anyone own a reference set? theyr like the best drums ever made, id trade both kidneys for a pearl reference set
    Pearl Vision VX jet black
    Aquarian heads (Focus-X, Performance IIs, Super Kick II)
    Pearl Free Floating Maple Snare
    Vic-Firth 5B
    Pearl Eliminators
    Roc N Soc throne

14" Paiste Signature sound edge hi-hats
    16" Paiste Signature full crash
    18" Paiste Signature full crash
    20" Zildjian K custom dark ride
    20" Paiste RUDE china

In bands: Frame of Mind, and Become The Catalyst

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Frame-...7982037?ref=ts

User Info Menu

hi all for years i have played a really immaculate set of ludwigs bought new in 65 after some years not playing ibought a set of yamaha dtx which inspired me to play again i mainly started looking for another kit to get some modern hardware and ifound a kit of pearlvbx in absolutly new condition (5 months old played about 6 times in a home )i havechanged some heads and i am very impressed with the sound i have a very good collection of old zildjians so iwont use the zbt that came with the kit only when you look at the old luddy hardware do you realise the progress of the modern drum companys iam pleased i have joined this site as it seems to answer any query i haveand i have found it most friendly

User Info Menu

The best stuff out there.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lauratdrummer View Post
    I play a Pearl VSX Strata red color. Its great I love it! The quality is awesome the looks and the sound is just wow! Laura
    Check me out at www.start-drumming.com
    Welcome to Drum Chat, Laura.

Your web site looks fantastic!!

Glad to have you amongst us. Great choice in kit, too!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RHD03 View Post
    Man MT, you want me to donate lots of gear huh??
    You got it! Hey, my main pair of hi hats aren't even as nice as your secondary pair! We can make a trade Pwease?
    Tama Starclassic Birch in Emerald Sea Fade 24x18, 13x10, 18x16
    Mapex Black Panther Phosphor Bronze 5.5x14
    Remo Coated Emperors (or Evans Clear EC2s) over Remo Coated Ambassadors
    Remo Coated Ambassador Over Hazy Diplomat Snare Side
    Dream Contact 14" Hi-Hats, Zildjian Avedis 21" Sweet Ride, Zildjian A Custom 18" Projection Crash, Wuhan 18" China
    Vic Firth 5As and 5Bs/Sound Percussion 5Bs and 2Bs

"Da head of the drum doesn't matter, it's da head of da drummer that matters most..." -Phrogge

User Info Menu

In '84 or '85 I bought a Pearl World series kit. Red lacquer, 12,13, 16, 22 and
    6.5x14 snare. Great kit and hardware. Paid around a grand. Sold it 2 years ago for a grand. Didn't go wrong there. Anyone else out there have one?
    Your thoughts?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tama View Post
    You got it! Hey, my main pair of hi hats aren't even as nice as your secondary pair! We can make a trade Pwease?
    Actually, thinking of trading in the other pair...the remote hats don't get used as much as I thought they would when I added them to the kit. And, imagine the cash I could get for the DW 9000 remote hi hat system and a pair of 13 1/4" KCH hats. Hmmm, mind is starting to wonder now.

Click for Gear Pics!

User Info Menu

Just a couple of shots from today as they are in their current configuration.

Signature here

User Info Menu

Hey guys! I'm rockin the pearls for now ... its my second kit! I had a set of World Series before and now i have Super Pro GLX ... 100% Maple shells! Old but sound good!
    Eric & The Blues Band
    Ludwig
    Yamaha
    Ludwig Hardware (Stands)
    Pearl Hardware (BD Pedal)
    Tama Hardware (HH Stand)
    Zildjian (Zildjian League)
    Sabian
    Evans
    Vater
    Pork Pie
    CAD Mics

Music is Life

User Info Menu

Congrats, Saunders.

Pics or it didn't happen.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Andreeew View Post
    I use a Pearl forum drumset. pretty entry level but the hardware that came with it is really durable. I'm hoping to upgrade my kit this year (if I manage to stop buying cymbals!)
    I have a Forum Series 5 pc. myself, and I gotta say, I may not know much about drum kits, but it sounds pretty good to my amateur ears. Is there really that big of a difference in sound/durability as you move up in the ranks? I saw a Forum 10" Tom on MF I was pretty close to investing in, but is it really worth it?
    Just crank that volume to the point of pain...Why waste good music on a brain?! -Spinal Tap

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post

Perfection!

User Info Menu

Bish, you ever think about selling the Masters give me a call!! Beautiful drums!

Click for Gear Pics!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olly View Post
    i dont know much about pearl, can anybody tell me some stuff for instance which are the most expensive and wich the cheepest drum kit models?
    well. the forum series is the cheapest, apart from the rhythm traveller. the rythm traveller has incredibly shallow drums, (im pretty sure the bass drum is 18 by 8) and that is designed for small practise spaces and small stages. reference series is the highest series, it has different shell compositions for the different sized drums. then there is the masterworks, which is completely custom.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Perfection!
    Thanks, Axe. I have the same opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by RHD03 View Post
    Bish, you ever think about selling the Masters give me a call!! Beautiful drums!

Thanks, Scott, but I don't think I will until I give up playing. I do have the Bubingas and DW's on the market right now.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Bish my friend, perhaps you should actually start playing those things again! You ARE a very good drummer, and it seems a shame that all those beautiful kits are just being used by your grandkids!

You know I have to give you a hard time, since last I heard you were playing....um....oh man....ugh, one of those string-ed instruments again and not even hitting anything????

Well only good fun (at your expense of course) - you know we all love ya bro! Even if you are only a "closet" drummer these days, LOL!!

My Pearls are my primary gigging kit and have gotten a lot of miles on them in the last year or so, but they still look and sound FANTASTIC!! I've owned or played darn near everything, and from behind the kit they are my favorites hands down.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by almostmatt1 View Post
    reference series is the highest series, it has different shell compositions for the different sized drums.
    The visions actually use the same 6/8 shell design as the references. 6 ply on the rack toms, and 8 ply on the FT's and bass drum.
    Pearl Vision VX - Red Wine w/ Black Hardware
    Kick: 22x18 - Stock Skins
    Toms: 8x7, 10x8, 12x9, 16x16 - Stock Skins
    Snare: 14x5.5 SensiTone - Stock Skins

Cymbals:
    Paiste PST5 14" Medium Hats
    Paiste PST5 16" Medium Crash
    Paiste PST5 20" Medium Ride

Hardware:
    DW5000 HiHat Stand
    PDP E400 Bass Pedal
    PDP 700 Boom Stand
    Random no-name Single Brace Cymbal Stand
    Pearl Heavy Duty Snare Stand

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post

Dude, awesome set! I was curious though, what kit are you playing, and where can I find a Pearl 14" Floor Tom like yours?
    Just crank that volume to the point of pain...Why waste good music on a brain?! -Spinal Tap

User Info Menu

Latest Pearl kit post up:

User Info Menu

I agree with Northern, I own a Pearl Reference kit, and aside from the HORRIBLE craftsmanship of the bearing edges, and the profile of the bearing edges, these drums sound like CRAP.. too focused and boxed in sounding. I had my kit worked on my a local drum company with good craftsmanship. They truly flattened all my edges for one, then changed the profile completely. These things SCREAM NOW.... wide open, consistent pitch in the decay, no boxy, over focused sound. The bass drum is wide open with incredible bottom end now. PEARL, the Reference Series is a marketing tactic failure !!