Page 1 of 67 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Pearl Drums Discussion

Subrick Guest

Default Pearl Drums Discussion

For all the Pearl drums lovers here (myself included), let's discuss any and all things Pearl!

For starters, do you think that they should start making Exports again? For me, yes. They have a good sound and are the most popular kit Pearl's ever manufactured.

Advertisement

Cool Drum Accessories

User Info Menu

Default Re: Pearl Drums Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Subrick View Post
    For all the Pearl lovers here (myself included), let's discuss any and all things Pearl!

For starters, do you think that they should start making Exports again? For me, yes. They have a good sound and are the most popular kit Pearl's ever manufactured.
    I don't think they should bring back the Exports...they were great kits, as well as the Sessions. The new Vision series offers the best of both worlds from those two lines. I don't think the Exports ever came with a birch option...I could be wrong. I think the new Vision line will stick around for quite a while.

I do think they should bring back the Session series though, but that's just me. Also, I think they should bring back the satin hardware option...it was hot. But that's my opinion on things being brought back.
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

I think they made too many "silver sparkle" variations. My GC has had two different versions. Norske has another version and my snare is a little bit different than the rest of my kit but not that you'd notice.

Other than that I love the Masters Series and I can't say enough about their hardware. The 2000 series can do it all and holds up as good as it looks!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

i think pearl is a great company. even the birch/basswood visions are a big step up in tone from exports and carry the lifetime warranty on shell construction. as bish said the 2000 series hardware is very modular and easily usable. with 2 different lines of masters kits (mcx and premium birch and maple), there is no need for the session line. masters mcx sell for just a couple hundred more than the sessions did. about the only thing i'm not fond of is the hat and kick pedals.

User Info Menu

Im a big fan of the Masters, but I cant stand References.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Im a big fan of the Masters, but I cant stand References.
    Me too.

This is the shortest post I've ever made.

Dennis

User Info Menu

Refs shells are waaaaay to thick and heavy. I think the sound terrible.

User Info Menu

Don't forget, thicker shells will focus the tone and lessen the resonance...good for those players who require a more discretionary sound. Jazz players mostly.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

Larrysperf Guest

I love Pearl snares. They have some of the best all round snares out there. NUFF SAID

User Info Menu

i like reference drums. different drums are different thickness. the rack toms are the same thickness as the 6 ply masters. floor toms and kicks are 8 ply. the wood snares are 20 ply. the 20 ply thing may not be for everyone. thier metal snares sound very nice too. i think they have a good formula of wood mix, thickness and edges.

User Info Menu

I use a Pearl forum drumset. pretty entry level but the hardware that came with it is really durable. I'm hoping to upgrade my kit this year (if I manage to stop buying cymbals!)
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

I have a Pearl Mirror finish chrome snare that I brought off Ebay and refurbished with new heads and tension bolts etc.

Its the best bit of my kit although when I tried to join the Pearl forum to find out more about it (nerdy I know but.. ) I couldnt seem to get accepted... just ignored rather

User Info Menu

it looks like a sensitone steel snare
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dolau View Post
    I have a Pearl Mirror finish chrome snare that I brought off Ebay and refurbished with new heads and tension bolts etc.

Its the best bit of my kit although when I tried to join the Pearl forum to find out more about it (nerdy I know but.. ) I couldnt seem to get accepted... just ignored rather

I know what you mean about the pearl forum - I asked a question ages ago about my kit at the time (Session Elite) and did not get a single response! I wish I new about Drum Chat then!!!!

The only Pearl thing I have nowadays is my session elite snare. Its a deep bugger (6.5 inches) and has a really crisp sound to it but with lots of depth.
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

i dont have a pearl but the first kit i ever sat down at was a matte black 5 piece pearl export. i have a special place for pearl. and now i have a pearl xlyophone on my yamaha stage customs. and i have a quadbeater on my pedal. pearl does make some good kits and is innovative for instance the first mounted cabassa and guiro holder.
    "it aint got no thing if it aint got that swing"

Yamaha Stage Custom Noveau
    10,12,14,20,14 (standard 2 up 1 down)
    Evans EC2 over Remo Ambassador Resos
    Evans Genera Dry over ambassador resos
    DW 5002 double bass pedal
    Sabian 14 inch AAX Xcelerator hats
    Sabian 14 inch HHX X-plosion crash
    Sabian 16 inch AAX studio crash
    Zildjian 17 inch Z custom crash
    Sabian 21 inch AA rock ride
    Zildjian 18 inch oriental china trash
    Agrazian 10 inch Splash

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Subrick View Post
    For all the Pearl lovers here (myself included), let's discuss any and all things Pearl!

For the $ they were and still are a great set. I have a 8 in tom and it is great,all I could find but so happy with it I have kept it. NUFF SAID

User Info Menu

I've been toying with my Elim's and still have the red cam connected. I'm very impressed with the design (solid/well built) including the connecting rod. It's very well built. The pedal is easy to connect/disconnect and the case makes it extremely easy to transport.

Having the multi-cam assembly kit for each pedal was way cool, too. Now I have an abundance of Pearl drum keys and they are top shelf just like everything else Pearl offers. Man, what a fantastic drum company.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I don't have a Pearl kit, but have experience with their other products. I had an 8" Maple freefloater snare years ago. That thing sounded huge and warm. After a lifetime playing LP hand percussion, I got the Pearl Primero congas. Very well made and sound great with the right heads. I have a couple of their Fiberglass Djembes as well - very warm sounding. The ash tone blocks will soon replace all of my LP jam blocks, Great wood sound and durability. I've been eyeballing the El Negro Cowbells, and will probably try a couple out soon. The high school I teach at has went through 3 or 4 different sets of Pearls over the last 20 years. Nothing but quality construction and solid sound.

User Info Menu

I do like my export!! My next set may be a Masters!! I like Pearl hardware. Sturdy and works well for me!

User Info Menu

I really don't understand your hatred for Refs. Once I get mine tuned and ready to go you will have to stop by and be blown away by the AWESOMENESS!!!!

Click for Gear Pics!

User Info Menu

i dont know much about pearl, can anybody tell me some stuff for instance which are the most expensive and wich the cheepest drum kit models?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olly View Post
    i dont know much about pearl, can anybody tell me some stuff for instance which are the most expensive and wich the cheepest drum kit models?
    From cheapest to most expensive(for the most part)
    Forum
    Export
    Vision
    Session
    Masters Custom
    Masters Premium
    Reference
    Masterworks

Click for Gear Pics!

User Info Menu

im new to this but i just got a new pearl vision vsx and its sounds awsome

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by redheaddrummer03 View Post
    I really don't understand your hatred for Refs. Once I get mine tuned and ready to go you will have to stop by and be blown away by the AWESOMENESS!!!!
    Read my post I explained it clearly.

User Info Menu