Thread: Tom Sawyer Solo

User Info Menu

Default Tom Sawyer Solo

New to the site so I am not sure if this subject has been brought up. I just had a quick question that someone may be able to answer for me. I have been playing drums for 25 years but could never get the the solo section of Tom Sawyer right. In particular, the double bass and floor tom roll. I am not sure what the sticking and foot work is. Would anyone be able to help? Tried looking at YouTube vids but it is still tough to see how people are playing it. Thanks....

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tom Sawyer Solo

I always thought that roll bit was just a RLK triplet between floor and rack toms...I have the sheet music for it somewhere, I'll find it for you later.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Ok, it's between your two lowest toms (if you have two floor toms, use those), played as sextuplets, a 2 beat phrase. You play the same pattern over and over again; lowest, higher, kick, kick (so, low floor tom, high floor tom, kick kick) 6 times, feeling it as sextuplets...
    Erm, that's not easy to explain without the sheet music. It's just the same phrase over and over again, feel it as sextuplets and you'll get it. Good luck.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the help...I thought it might be that pattern...

User Info Menu

You know this brings up an interesting point, that frequently things aren't as hard as they seem. While I probably can't quite play Tom Sawyer anymore (since I haven't played to Rush in about 15 years), and Neil is an amazing drummer, a lot of times it's just hard to figure out what a drummer is doing, rather than not being able to physically figure it out.

My son, who I mention all the time, has been playing about 4 years, 3 years of lessons, and can play Chop Suey by System of a Down no problem because his teacher figured it out and showed it to him.

I learn by ear, which I'm good at after 32 years, and my band isn't the type to try to play songs exactly, but it makes you wonder why there isn't more "tab" type stuff for drums. There is a ridiculous amount of guitar and bass tabs to help people learn songs, but nothing for drums that I know of.

Maybe we should get going on the idea as a group?
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Okay, I was wrong there is some online, but not nearly as many as for guitar. I still think it would be an interesting resource for drumchat.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    Okay, I was wrong there is some online, but not nearly as many as for guitar. I still think it would be an interesting resource for drumchat.
    We've had this discussion a lot before, and the thing is we generally find tablature unreliable. Uh, it's like how your son has learnt Chop Suey! by having someone show him it, not necessarily by having the sheet music. When you watch someone play something, it becomes a lot easier.
    Having said that, I think we all agree sheet music is a much easier alternative, that's much easier to read and interpret. Tablature is messy, and usually unreliable. With sheet music, you know where you are.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ethel_The_Frog View Post
    We've had this discussion a lot before, and the thing is we generally find tablature unreliable. Uh, it's like how your son has learnt Chop Suey! by having someone show him it, not necessarily by having the sheet music. When you watch someone play something, it becomes a lot easier.
    Having said that, I think we all agree sheet music is a much easier alternative, that's much easier to read and interpret. Tablature is messy, and usually unreliable. With sheet music, you know where you are.
    We can both read drum music, so I wasn't excluding sheet music from the idea. If find that there isn't a lot of free sheet music for songs, which is the big difference compared to guitar tabs.

I guess I was thinking it would be interesting to put together a database of sheet music (even if it had to be scanned) of stuff for people on here to practice/learn songs. I only play by ear, but still. Just a thought as a resource for the newer drummers.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    I guess I was thinking it would be interesting to put together a database of sheet music (even if it had to be scanned) of stuff for people on here to practice/learn songs. I only play by ear, but still. Just a thought as a resource for the newer drummers.
    Oh yeah, that'd be really cool. Even if it was really easy songs and stuff, looking at them from a different perspective would open up your playing in a completely different way.