Page 16 of 70 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast

Thread: Tama Drums Discussion

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tama Drums Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by xweasel View Post
    What can people tell me about the "Rockstar" and "Swingstar" drum series?
    I don't know much about either, but I do know that the Rockstar's were the predecessors to the current Superstars. I believe they were mixed shells (birch/basswood or something similar).
    Matt

User Info Menu

What can people tell me about the "Rockstar" and "Swingstar" drum series?

Brief history lessons

Tama swingstar was the longest Tama series ever created. They were introduced around 1972. They were marketed as an affordable option against the Gretsch, Ludwig, Slingerland and Rogers of this world. They mostly used real philipine mahogany as wood for their shell. Then, in the 80s Tama switched their wood for the Swingstar, they began using Luan as primary wood for the Swingstar series and also developped the zola-coat formula which had as main purpose to protect the shells against humidity & moisture for the heavy giggers (indoors & outdoors).

The period from the end of the 80s to the beginning of the 90s showed the introduction of the Rockstar in TAMA family and marked the start of the fall of the swingstar in the TAMA line-up. The Rockstar were labeled as tough drums build for the gigging drummers while still being affordable. The Rockstar Shell were select Philipine Mahogany (Luan) with and outer ply of birch for the Rockstar Custom. In the first years the Rockstar beneficied of the zola-coating too but TAMA eventually decided to cease all zola-coating process.

While the Rockstar were propulsed on top as one of the most sold drums ever (not as much as the Pearl Export though) the Swingstar continued its fall. In 1997, the Rockstar & Swingstar were upgraded with Accu-tune hoops which were used for a few years on the Performer (not confound with Starclassic Performer). Tama upgraded the Rockstar with the Starcast system for triple-flanged hoop but left the Swingstar equipped with the shell mount screwed at nodal point.

In 2005, TAMA discontinued the Rockstar because it was the introduction and rebirth of the remixed Superstar with its hybrid basswood/birch shell and cast hardware and multiple finish option. The Swingstar died two years later with the introduction of another dead series, the Imperialstar (about the same construction as the defunct swingstar but using poplar as wood for their shell) and it also came with a steel snare drum instead of a wood shelled one.

In 2008, A Guitar Center & TAMA association resurrected the Rockstar for an exclusive deal. These Rockstar shell are now a basswood and birch mix.

The primary difference between the Swingstar & Rockstar was the # of ply, finishes, size option and the marketing supporting both.

*DRIINNNGGG*

End of class....
    Last edited by mind_drummer; 03-24-2010 at 09:00 PM.
    CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    TAMA - AQUARIAN - DW PEDALS - SABIAN - ISTANBUL MEHMET - ZILDJIAN - PAISTE - VATER

Member: Aquarian Preacher Nation & AAXplosion army...

AND I CONFESS I'M A DRUMGEAR-A-HOLIC

User Info Menu

I have been enlightened.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

I have been enlightened.
    It was a pleasure
    CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    TAMA - AQUARIAN - DW PEDALS - SABIAN - ISTANBUL MEHMET - ZILDJIAN - PAISTE - VATER

Member: Aquarian Preacher Nation & AAXplosion army...

AND I CONFESS I'M A DRUMGEAR-A-HOLIC

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Larrysperf View Post
    Bish do you have some heads sitting on top of your tom heads ? Looks like it
    Yes, I do, Larry. Good eye. I was planning on replacing the existing heads with the pins you see sitting on top of the toms. Never did, tho.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mind_drummer View Post
    Brief history lessons

Tama swingstar was the longest Tama series ever created. They were introduced around 1972. They were marketed as an affordable option against the Gretsch, Ludwig, Slingerland and Rogers of this world. They mostly used real philipine mahogany as wood for their shell. Then, in the 80s Tama switched their wood for the Swingstar, they began using Luan as primary wood for the Swingstar series and also developped the zola-coat formula which had as main purpose to protect the shells against humidity & moisture for the heavy giggers (indoors & outdoors).

The period from the end of the 80s to the beginning of the 90s showed the introduction of the Rockstar in TAMA family and marked the start of the fall of the swingstar in the TAMA line-up. The Rockstar were labeled as tough drums build for the gigging drummers while still being affordable. The Rockstar Shell were select Philipine Mahogany (Luan) with and outer ply of birch for the Rockstar Custom. In the first years the Rockstar beneficied of the zola-coating too but TAMA eventually decided to cease all zola-coating process.

While the Rockstar were propulsed on top as one of the most sold drums ever (not as much as the Pearl Export though) the Swingstar continued its fall. In 1997, the Rockstar & Swingstar were upgraded with Accu-tune hoops which were used for a few years on the Performer (not confound with Starclassic Performer). Tama upgraded the Rockstar with the Starcast system for triple-flanged hoop but left the Swingstar equipped with the shell mount screwed at nodal point.

In 2005, TAMA discontinued the Rockstar because it was the introduction and rebirth of the remixed Superstar with its hybrid basswood/birch shell and cast hardware and multiple finish option. The Swingstar died two years later with the introduction of another dead series, the Imperialstar (about the same construction as the defunct swingstar but using poplar as wood for their shell) and it also came with a steel snare drum instead of a wood shelled one.

In 2008, A Guitar Center & TAMA association resurrected the Rockstar for an exclusive deal. These Rockstar shell are now a basswood and birch mix.

The primary difference between the Swingstar & Rockstar was the # of ply, finishes, size option and the marketing supporting both.

*DRIINNNGGG*

End of class....
    Dude knows his stuff. Interesting read indeed man!
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Yes, I do, Larry. Good eye. I was planning on replacing the existing heads with the pins you see sitting on top of the toms. Never did, tho.
    Still one sick looking set Bish, can you make video of what they sound like Please

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Larrysperf View Post
    Still one sick looking set Bish, can you make video of what they sound like Please
    Sure, I think I can put something up this weekend.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I have the TAMA's setup again and I will get some vids thrown together.

Here's the current config as if today.

P.S. I don't have my good cymbals out yet. They haven't seen the light of day since the last gig. (August '09) Hmmm the gig was at night. I wonder if they've ever seen the light of day?

Signature here

User Info Menu

Bish, you've got some real nice bubes!!

Awesome kit, man.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yohin View Post
    Bish, you've got some real nice bubes!!

Awesome kit, man.
    Stop staring!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Stop staring!!
    haha i love your kit bish those are phenomenal.
    'Martinez12: Hi guys, im gonna be here for a sex'
    ^he wishes I didnt do that :D

~ Sabian Squad ~

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jweaves5 View Post
    haha i love your kit bish those are phenomenal.
    Thanks!!! Yours is really nice, as well!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

i was wondering, does anyone know how much different the starclassic buginga's are to the starclassic bubinga elite's?

User Info Menu

im getting a tama starclassic 4ply maple 14x5.5 snare i have to pay 100 more than its mine =]
    PEARL MASTERS MCX in Bronze Glass
    24x18
    16x16
    13x9
    Camilo:''your guitarrist is awesome',Xweasel: ''yeah he's asian''

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by shabutie2113 View Post
    im getting a tama starclassic 4ply maple 14x5.5 snare i have to pay 100 more than its mine =]
    LUCKY! Those are amazing snares!!! My friend James Murphy who is a great drummer for a local band called Elephant House uses a 4 ply maple Pearl Masters, 5x14, oh man, that thing has such a nice tone to it!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T2OHp74LTo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T2OHp74LTo[/ame]
    Tama Starclassic Birch in Emerald Sea Fade 24x18, 13x10, 18x16
    Mapex Black Panther Phosphor Bronze 5.5x14
    Remo Coated Emperors (or Evans Clear EC2s) over Remo Coated Ambassadors
    Remo Coated Ambassador Over Hazy Diplomat Snare Side
    Dream Contact 14" Hi-Hats, Zildjian Avedis 21" Sweet Ride, Zildjian A Custom 18" Projection Crash, Wuhan 18" China
    Vic Firth 5As and 5Bs/Sound Percussion 5Bs and 2Bs

"Da head of the drum doesn't matter, it's da head of da drummer that matters most..." -Phrogge

User Info Menu

thanks for the sound clip mr.tama dude and i like there sound alot
    PEARL MASTERS MCX in Bronze Glass
    24x18
    16x16
    13x9
    Camilo:''your guitarrist is awesome',Xweasel: ''yeah he's asian''

User Info Menu

Next is gonna be a Starclassic B&B five piece for me (as in, four toms and a kick). But for now, yet ANOTHER look at my Superstars, with Iron Cobras and a Metalworks snare. Yah.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tama View Post
    LUCKY! Those are amazing snares!!! My friend James Murphy who is a great drummer for a local band called Elephant House uses a 4 ply maple Pearl Masters, 5x14, oh man, that thing has such a nice tone to it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T2OHp74LTo
    Pearl drums on a Tama forum?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
    Next is gonna be a Starclassic B&B five piece for me (as in, four toms and a kick). But for now, yet ANOTHER look at my Superstars, with Iron Cobras and a Metalworks snare. Yah.

I am really liking this set up SGD!

User Info Menu

ill have my starclassic performer b/b dark cherry fade pics up later this afternoon,must work first,

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post

Whats the red kit in the background?

User Info Menu

starclassic performer b/b dark cherry fade

User Info Menu

That finish is the bomb, bill. I think that and the Mocha fade are the two best finishes Tama bubs come in.

Then there's always the traditional stuff like this...

Signature here

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Bish;290677]That finish is the bomb, bill. I think that and the Mocha fade are the two best finishes Tama bubs come in

thanks bish,the genius at the drum store thought they were tobacco fade,which are similar but im lovin the finish,the look, the quaility of the hardware,and definetly the sound,they sound so awsome,i friggin love em