Page 57 of 70 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,425 of 1731

Thread: Tama Drums Discussion

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tama Drums Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks4drums View Post
    Remind me never to use you as a trying to quit something support buddy!
    I'm very supportive of the arts....
    Signature here

User Info Menu

One thing to watch out for, is that Tama's cast hoops are taller then everyone else's hoops. i find it hard switching from my Starclassic's, to any of my other kits. Good way to break sticks.

User Info Menu

One thing to watch out for, is that Tama's cast hoops are taller then everyone else's hoops. i find it hard switching from my Starclassic's, to any of my other kits. Good way to break sticks.
    Didn't know this...thanks.

User Info Menu

Someone has the double bass itch!
    Glen your Mapex kits are what did it....can't get over how cool they look.

User Info Menu

I never noticed, but I don't think the Silverstars use cast hoops do they?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    I never noticed, but I don't think the Silverstars use cast hoops do they?
    Just checked...triple flanged which I like much better.

User Info Menu

Sweet kit! Having just sold the Superstars, don't know how I would justify going about getting another Tama.

Oh, you know I want one. I'm trolling for a blowout on a used Starclassic B/B kit and then I'll find the funds.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Now that I think of it I do have a tendency to hit the rims more often on my Superstars, which are cast, than on my Catalinas or my Slingys, which aren't.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Here's my other current kit besides my Yamaha Live Customs and my Pearl Masters.

TAMA Silverstar Bop Kit.

Signature here

User Info Menu

Bish...why the lopsided muff ring on the reso? I know, you probably wanted to eliminate some overtones but wasn't there a better solution? Thanks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Bish...why the lopsided muff ring on the reso? I know, you probably wanted to eliminate some overtones but wasn't there a better solution? Thanks!
    It's just sitting in there to get it off of the floor a few days previous to this picture. I had no place to put it at the time and forgot it was there when I snapped the picture.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Long time lurker, finally got access to the site today.....

First post....

Been playing for oh.....30+ years in and out of bands as life stages progress, did the college gigging band playing out 2-3 nights per week, did the wedding band thing for a while and while the pay was good at the time, how many times can you play the YMCA without wanting to stick a spork in your eye.

I had played Pearls for years starting with an Export and ending with a Prestige Session and about 10 years ago when I was doing weddings etc. I picked up a Starclassic Birch and love it. Typical set, 8,10,12 14 floor 22 kick and I splurged at the time on a DW Craviotto snare......and man do I love that thing...

Became enamored with Ziljian K's after being a Sabian guy for my college years.....cymbal set-up is:

14" Zildjian Platinum hats
    17" K Dark Crash
    18" Sabian AAX Crash
    19" Zildjian Medium Ride (used as a crash for years)
    20" K Custom Dry Ride
    8" Portnoy splash
    10" Sabian B8 Pro splash (cheap and trashy....I like it)

Last edited by River19; 02-02-2015 at 07:58 PM.

User Info Menu

Never had that problem.

User Info Menu

Starclassic Birch 8,10,12 14 22 kick DW Craviotto snare (most of the time)

14” Zildjian Platinum New Beats
    17 K dark Crash
    18” AAX Crash
    19” Zildjian Medium Ride (used primarily as a crash)
    20 K Custom Dry Ride
    8” and 10” splashes

Some other random assorted bits are stashed elsewhere in the house that aren’t on the kit normally…..

Pictures don't do the drums justice.....

Last edited by River19; 02-05-2015 at 08:09 PM.
    Know a little about a lot and a lot about a little......

User Info Menu

Quite beautiful in the pics. I'm sure stunning in person. Tama makes some very nice stuff indeed. Love the sizes. Very punchy kit I bet.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny G View Post
    Quite beautiful in the pics. I'm sure stunning in person. Tama makes some very nice stuff indeed. Love the sizes. Very punchy kit I bet.
    Thanks, I think punchy is a good word to describe the sound. I love the 8,10,12 sound and the 14 FT actually sounds pretty deep in tone but has remarkable punch for the depth of the drum.

I've played many a gig where space was at a premium and played it in a 1 up 1 down configuration and loved having the ride right "there" vs. a little further over to the right.

I'm contemplating a small 4 piece jazz kit with a 20" kick.......which would of course allow me to grab that 22" Zildjian K Custom Dark ride that I always wanted......would it be wrong to buy a kit specifically as an excuse to by cymbal......

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Here's my other current kit besides my Yamaha Live Customs and my Pearl Masters.

TAMA Silverstar Bop Kit.

Bish - How do you like the sound of the Silverstars? I keep thinking about getting something like that or a Catalina Jazz kit, the portability and ease of use in lower volume situations would be nice, plus it would be nice to have a kit set up specifically for jazz.

User Info Menu

I will officially be a member of the Tama family this Thursday (FedEx willing). Very excited about this. StarClassic b/b Vintage special edition.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by River19 View Post
    Bish - How do you like the sound of the Silverstars? I keep thinking about getting something like that or a Catalina Jazz kit, the portability and ease of use in lower volume situations would be nice, plus it would be nice to have a kit set up specifically for jazz.
    They are birch drums and completely identical to the full size versions except for the bass drum.

The birch shells sound outstanding. The hardware is more than capable. The price tag was well under $500 USD which included the snare and bass drum riser, already installed.

Great value in a 4pc kit.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by angus242 View Post
    I will officially be a member of the Tama family this Thursday (FedEx willing). Very excited about this. StarClassic b/b Vintage special edition.
    A beauty !
    That green sparkle wrap kit reminds me of Simon Phillips.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    They are birch drums and completely identical to the full size versions except for the bass drum.

The birch shells sound outstanding. The hardware is more than capable. The price tag was well under $500 USD which included the snare and bass drum riser, already installed.

Great value in a 4pc kit.
    Thanks Bish, I assumed they were pretty similar to my Starclassics from a sound perspective......at some point I'll pick one up or a Catalina Maple in the same type configuration. I keep thinking I would like a 20" bass, but the 18"s pack plenty of punch for most situations and I believe you said they mic up well in another thread.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by River19 View Post
    Thanks Bish, I assumed they were pretty similar to my Starclassics from a sound perspective......at some point I'll pick one up or a Catalina Maple in the same type configuration. I keep thinking I would like a 20" bass, but the 18"s pack plenty of punch for most situations and I believe you said they mic up well in another thread.
    Just so we are clear, I'm not saying they sound like Starclassics, they are identical to the full size Silverstar kits. Basically the same drums just a smaller bass drum.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Great choice. Very jealous.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

Wow. That finish is killer! With hardware? Congrats on the purchase!
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Just a 4-piece shell pack (no snare) but I've always wanted a bubinga set (even though it's a hybrid). I've been looking at this kit because it it has the exact sizes I wanted too. 13/16/18/24

Most importantly, I got the kit for just over $1000, shipped. I can't imagine I won't love this.