Page 1 of 63 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Tama Drums Discussion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

Default Tama Drums Discussion

Ok, you guys seem to like separate threads for the different drum brands so here's one for Tama Drums.

Advertisement

Cool Drum Accessories

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tama Drums Discussion

Mmmmmm Tama

User Info Menu

Identification of Tama Swingstar kits
    I have seen many questions on various websites related to the identification of Tama Swingstar drums.

These drums (swing star) show up in Tama brochures all the way back into the 1970s, through the 80s and 90s and later
    Their identity has always been a question mark because some of the drums were made in Japan and later Japan and Taiwan (ROC). Later all the kits were made in China.

The early made in Japan Swingstars can be identified fairly well using the following method
    1) the earliest kits (after the elimination of the Star drums name) were oval badge (oval black badge with gold writing), early 70s

2) In the mid 70s the "T" badge started to be used (around the Joint purchase of Camco by DW and Tama) on all the Japanese made kits., There are some Korean/Taiwan kits manufactured during this time, but they are easy to spot because the vent holes are located in a different position. The hardware and shell construction however are the same, with the exception of the lugs (which are like Astro lugs) and the position of the floor tom leg clamp (positioned about mid shell), and of course no Tama badge. Tama obviously made these changes so the off-shore drums could not be claimed as being Japan made product. These off-shore kits continue through the 90s and into the 2000s. Some of the Korea/Taiwan kits were sold in the USA bearing a white stick on label with the words "Thunder Drums" and a kong tag stating "made in Korea". I know Tama had a Taiwan (ROC) operation but can not find any history of a South Korean operation.

3) Tama Japan switched to a "White Badge" (no T) in the late 1980s between 87 and 88. Theories abound but its interesting the Tama white badge is nearly identical to the Yamaha badge of the same time period.... Later Tama kits can be seen with similar lugs to the Yamaha recording custom and and stage custom with nearly identical "White" badges.... With the end of the white badge kits, the Swingstar will no longer be made in Japan... it will be made off shore. The name of the Swingstar Japan kits appear to change to "Rock Star" as close as I can ascertain (around the power tom era). Probably a marketing issue to distinguish between japan made drums of high quality and the off-shore made drums. The Japanese are very sensitive to market acceptance of their product heritage. It would not be unusual to observe them making a distinct difference between Japan made and other Asian made products.

Taiwan ROC ... or China age
    4) Early in the 1990s The Korean/Taiwan kits are now sold as "Swingstar by Tama" and bear a rectangular stick-on badge. I have seen responses on the web which indicate the label also stated Taiwan (ROC). These badges can be seen in the 93-96 official brochures.

5) By 1998 the Swingstar shows up in official brocures with an oval badge (like the early 70s badge only smaller), with a long explanation written on the brochure about how Tama is trying to offer an entry level kit due to costs.... bla bla bla... aka indicating made off shore ... in China, but with Tama quality. Drum manufacturing is a labor intensive process so I'm not surprised at this and prior moves to reduce labor costs. The Tama factory in Taiwan has Japanese advisers integrated into the process (this is a common Japnese tactic with off shore manufacturing, it even occurs in the USA).

You know the rest of the story from that moment foreword.....Nearly Everything drum related today is made in China

So the summary is thus
    1- 1970s - early 90s there is Swingstar made in Japan .... then Swingstar Japan seems to be re-badged Rockstar They can be identified by the early large oval badge, the "T" badge and the later White badge
    2- From the early 1990s the Swingstar name is associated with off-shore kits made in Taiwan (ROC)... and later just China, which a variation of badges, starting with the stick on rectangular badge....

User Info Menu

22 years of Tama and still going!
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Played TAMA for years, I went to DW, now I have my DWs and I am restoring a bunch of vintage TAMA shells.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

..."Stars Fell On Ala.Tama.."
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

FINALLY! I've got a vintage Tama Swingstar set. They sound great!

User Info Menu

I loveee TAMAA !!!!!
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

tama make nice drums but anybody know how good the hyper-drive are?
    Last edited by Olly; 03-24-2010 at 04:22 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olly View Post
    tama make nice drums but anybody know how good the hiper-drive are?
    The Superstar Hyperdrives are a very quick sounding drum with lots of attack and little resonance and projection.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    The Superstar Hyperdrives are a very quick sounding drum with lots of attack and little resonance and projection.
    NR, I have to disagree about the projection. The short toms have a lot of attack, but they have a ton of projection. We just got a set a few months ago, and before I went and played them I assumed that the short toms would be quieter, less projection, but quick attack.

Boy was I wrong. The things are cannons, but more projection and attack than my old Tama Crestar's.

Olly, I would definitely look at them as an option. It depends on the sound you are looking for, but my son and I found them much more our style than the Gretsch Catalina's, the other drums we looked at. While my band plays a wide variety of music, we lean towards heavier rock, alternative, and punk. My son is 14 so you can guess what he's into (System of Down, Rise Against, Rage, etc...)

It will come down to playing and listening, but while I know the StarClassic's are the real deal, the SuperStar's are a good choice. We got ours with a 20% off coupon and 18 mos. no interest at Sam Ash. $660 for a 6 piece (two floor toms) shell pack.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

tamas r ok

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    NR, I have to disagree about the projection. The short toms have a lot of attack, but they have a ton of projection. We just got a set a few months ago, and before I went and played them I assumed that the short toms would be quieter, less projection, but quick attack.

Boy was I wrong. The things are cannons, but more projection and attack than my old Tama Crestar's.

Olly, I would definitely look at them as an option. It depends on the sound you are looking for, but my son and I found them much more our style than the Gretsch Catalina's, the other drums we looked at. While my band plays a wide variety of music, we lean towards heavier rock, alternative, and punk. My son is 14 so you can guess what he's into (System of Down, Rise Against, Rage, etc...)

It will come down to playing and listening, but while I know the StarClassic's are the real deal, the SuperStar's are a good choice. We got ours with a 20% off coupon and 18 mos. no interest at Sam Ash. $660 for a 6 piece (two floor toms) shell pack.
    I played them side by side with my Superstar Customs when I was purchasing my kit. The standard size Superstars definately have more sustain and projection than the Hyperdrives.
    Last edited by Northern Redneck; 01-02-2009 at 10:53 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    I played them side by side with my Superstar Customs when I was purchasing my kit. The standard size Superstars definately have more sustain and projection than the Hyperdrives.
    In that comparison you might be right. I was comparing them to the Gretsch Catalina Maples we played at the time. We both found the SuperStar HyperDrives to be much bigger sounding drums than the Gretsch. There wasn't a regular superstar there to play, the hyper-drive was the only one and at 20% and 18 mos no interest it was a no brainer.

My 1987 Crestars have really good projection as well, although there is definitely a stronger attack on the hyper-drives, as you said.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

tama make nice drums but anybody know how good the hiper-drive are?
    funny you should ask i just got back from hearing a set. completely stock heads and it sounded good. the bass drum was cranked down way too tight for my taste but it still sounded good.im kinda diggin the shallow tom thing they were the super stars if that matters

User Info Menu

Talking Re: Tama Drums Discussion

tama make nice drums but anybody know how good the hyper-drive are?
    I ordered a birch superstar hyperdrive which arrived with a cracked bass drum, o had a go on it and it sounded amazing. Because of the damaged and sent it back. I decided to spend a tad more money for a maple one and it sounds much better. One of the best kits i've played, maple or birch. Here's mine:
    Last edited by Tamastar; 12-03-2015 at 02:32 PM.

User Info Menu

I have a Tama Iron Cobra chrome edition double pedal. the beater gives a good solid attack
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

I love my TAMA's !
    Tama Starclassic Performer Birch with Remo Pinstripe Heads
    Gold Crush Giltter finish 8"x10", 9"x12" Mount Toms & 12"x14"& 14"x16" Floor Toms - 18" x 22" Bass
    OCDP 14x7 Steel Vented Snare
    Tama Hardware - Iron Cobra Pedals & HH stand
    Sabian AAX & HHX Cymbals

User Info Menu

the second kit i had was a ten piece tama imperial star with concert toms. 6",8",10",12,13",14",16",18",22", and 14" metal snare. it was good times.the early '80's!
    if you can't keep time... then your just making noise!

User Info Menu

Im a huge fan of Tama drums. All of my hardware, pedals, snare are Tama. Im going to get a set of Starclassic B/B one day.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Beave View Post
    Im a huge fan of Tama drums. All of my hardware, pedals, snare are Tama. Im going to get a set of Starclassic B/B one day.
    I'll second that, hope to get a B/B set with the hyper drive toms sometime around this year or next!
    Every drummer that had a name, had a name because of his individual playing. He didn't sound like anybody else, So everybody that I ever listened to, in some form, influenced my taste.
    Buddy Rich

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MCcoolio View Post
    I'll second that, hope to get a B/B set with the hyper drive toms sometime around this year or next!
    SC bubinga with hyperdrive toms is my ultimate dream kit. That's the one I'll be getting like... in ten years.

User Info Menu

The superstars made today are nothing like the original Superstars that later became Granstar / Crestar. They were top of the line drums, 100% birch. The current Superstars are mixed wood entry / mid level drums.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

kive played a tama rockstar and it was pretty good

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rmandelbaum View Post
    The superstars made today are nothing like the original Superstars that later became Granstar / Crestar. They were top of the line drums, 100% birch. The current Superstars are mixed wood entry / mid level drums.

Read my post above.
    The Superstars are definately NOT entry drums.