Page 67 of 70 FirstFirst ... 17576566676869 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,675 of 1731

Thread: Tama Drums Discussion

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tama Drums Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    Just a quick photo during setup from my "office" Friday night at our big annual charity concert. Night was just EPIC.

Attachment 13878

And here's a show pic.

Attachment 13879
    Looks great
    *Yamaha Recording Custom

User Info Menu

Very good, Jesse!!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Played 3 gigs with 3 different bands this Sunday. Great weather and the drums sounded wonderful. A couple of other bands played too so I had the opportunity to listen to my drums from out front since they borrowed my kit.

IMG_0790.jpg
    IMG_0791.jpg
    IMG_0806.jpg
    *Yamaha Recording Custom

User Info Menu

They look awesome. Nice stage set up as well. Sure beats playing on a 7' wide flatbed trailer! I love hearing someone else play my kit. Amazing how different things can sound out front. Things you think sound bad can actually sound good out front....and vice-versa..
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    They look awesome. Nice stage set up as well. Sure beats playing on a 7' wide flatbed trailer! I love hearing someone else play my kit. Amazing how different things can sound out front. Things you think sound bad can actually sound good out front....and vice-versa..
    Thanks, Yeah it was a great stage. It was rigged for 5 bands and one of my bands have a B3 Hammond so it was good it was a big stage
    *Yamaha Recording Custom

User Info Menu

I think I asked this before but cannot find the answer. How can you tell a starclassic birch or maple kit from a Birch/Bubinga kit? The badges look identical.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I'm not aware of TAMA making Starclassics in Birch, currently. There may be older versions out there. Starclassics I am aware of are Walnut, Maple, Birch/Bubinga and Bubinga.

Superstars are Maple and Silverstars are Birch.

Your only true alt would be to ask TAMA experts and they are out there. (TAMA drum forum has several TAMA employees that frequent it.) I went to the current website to get my information. If you are looking at an older kit you could look up the archived catalogs to zero in on your target.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Newer I believe here are the pics from ad
    tama1.jpg
    tama2.jpg
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

WOW the floor tom has very wobbly legs??? Everything seems tight and the memory lock are on but the whole floor tom wobbles like crazy?? I did not buy them, I feel bad because the guy brought em to my house about a 30 miles drive for him and when I put the floor tom down on it's legs it wobbled bad. Only a matter of time before the shell cracks I would think. Maybe this is how they are supposed to be but I find that hard to believe? Man I have just never had luck with Tama's? The memory locks are tight to the legs, the memory lock fits into the rubber grommet and the plastic lock prevents it from falling out but all 3 legs wobble? Actually the rack tom's did it to a little lesser extent but they would definetly bump into each other if I placed them side by side.??? Any ideas? I think there was an insert or something missing?
    Last edited by MDK; 06-14-2017 at 06:07 PM.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

Maybe it's designed to do that? For "suspension" resonance? Like is spring loaded or mounted in rubber to "float"?

I guess if the brackets are bolted tight to the shells, then there's no real damage (to the shell) that could occur.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Maybe it's designed to do that? For "suspension" resonance? Like is spring loaded or mounted in rubber to "float"?

I guess if the brackets are bolted tight to the shells, then there's no real damage (to the shell) that could occur.
    Geez I hope not? seemed very excessive to me. Maybe someone else with these type of mounts will chime in. I never heard anyone say anything like this about them and I would think it would be a topic of discussion regardless.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

After doing a Google search, it would appear you're not the only one complaining about the new mount design. Found this video as well

According to Tama, it's part of the design. I suspect the rubber bushings get worn and it exasperates the issue.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Also, the higher you have your FT adjusted, the more the legs extend out the bottom of the mounts; hence, the more "wobble" or side-to-side movement will be magnified.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Thanks for the video N2, that is exactly what it was doing. I do not want to play anything that moves that much. Does not seem right to me at all.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    I think I asked this before but cannot find the answer. How can you tell a starclassic birch or maple kit from a Birch/Bubinga kit? The badges look identical.
    The B/B kits are easy to identify by looking at the plys on the toms - the Bubinga is very dark compared to Birch or Maple.

The only Birch Starclassics I've seen in the UK are pretty old performer sets and all seem to have deep toms 12x10, 13x11, 16x16 or 10x9, 12x10 and 14ft - but the UK is a smaller market so maybe we didn't get the full range of Tama stuff here.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Thanks for the video N2, that is exactly what it was doing. I do not want to play anything that moves that much. Does not seem right to me at all.
    The Quick lock tom mount. . . . .BAD design IMO. Anything w/plastic locking the tom on the rod is trouble. A unique idea gone bad. A bit pricey, but I would change those out for the standard mounts( as long as the hole measurements are the same) Tama on the most part has good hardware and good ideas. . . . .but not this one.

User Info Menu

Just ordered: Natural finish Starclassic b/b: 22-10-12-16 on its way!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Very nice. Great pictures, too!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Very nice. Great pictures, too!
    Thanks Bish!

User Info Menu

Those vintage Superstars are gorgeous. I remember those mufflers well. Can't imagine wanting to dampen the sound so much anymore LOL.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

I know it's old post but Yay totally man! U will love.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Like I've said in the past, I never owned Tamas, but I always enjoyed playing them!. . . . maybe some day. I have too many drums right now lol! Beautiful set!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wr_stix View Post
    Wow! Stunning kit!