Page 68 of 70 FirstFirst ... 18586667686970 LastLast
Results 1,676 to 1,700 of 1731

Thread: Tama Drums Discussion

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tama Drums Discussion

Hi everyone. It's been a long time in between posts, not sure how many years.
    Thought I'd share my Rockstar seeing it has grown over the years. Here she is now. Enjoy.
    Kit 2018.jpg
    Tama Rockstar & Paiste User and Abuser......

User Info Menu

just saw that video on the wobbling! Wow that's crazy!

User Info Menu

and that's a nice kit Spesman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by spesman View Post
    Hi everyone. It's been a long time in between posts, not sure how many years.
    Thought I'd share my Rockstar seeing it has grown over the years. Here she is now. Enjoy.
    Kit 2018.jpg
    Welcome back spesman! Good to see your kit has grown! Very nice!

User Info Menu

Thanks Spaz

User Info Menu

Thanks Late. She's come along quite nicely. Although I've had to do some wrapping on the 8" and 16", but it was worth it.
    And the cymbals came along whenever I could find paiste 802's.

User Info Menu

Just got back into playing and picked up a 7 Piece Superstar Classic Maple kit at the pawn shop. They look nearly new,few blemishes on the BD but not noticeable unless looking for it.
    First Maple kit for me and glad I grabbed them up for the price. New heads and they sound great,but personally,I like the sound of Birch more.
    8pc Tama Superstar Classic Maple
    Sabian and Zildjian Cymbals

User Info Menu

Seen this online today: sometimes Tama will throw a curveball and come up with an awesome finish! Tama Star bubinga blue Viking.50720441_2294501890582767_1597901642848534528_n.jpg Don't care too much for the inlay, but hey! lol.
    Last edited by drummerMD; 01-25-2019 at 11:18 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    Seen this online today: sometimes Tama will throw a curveball and come up with an awesome finish! Tama Star bubinga blue Viking.50720441_2294501890582767_1597901642848534528_n.jpg Don't care too much for the inlay, but hey! lol.
    Wow that’s absolutely stunning
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

The reason one would find a difference in sound between Tama and Grestch is because the variation in cut of the bearing edge. Tama uses a 45deg cut on the bearing edge and Grestch uses a three part round over cut, the two variations in bearing edge will produce very different sounds There are actually several bearing edge cuts in use today but the 3 most common are the 45 the 45 double and the 45 rounded..... Rounded cuts tend to give larger drums a deeper sound, which is why they are commonly used on bass drums. 45 and double 45 tend to give the drum more attack and projection which is why they are commonly used on snare drums and toms.... Grestch used a rounded cut on all their drums which is why they tend to have an incredible low end, even for much smaller toms.

User Info Menu

Someday I want to own one of those beautiful Tama Babinga kits... someday

User Info Menu

Identification of Tama Swingstar kits
    I have seen many questions on various websites related to the identification of Tama Swingstar drums.

These drums (swing star) show up in Tama brochures all the way back into the 1970s, through the 80s and 90s and later
    Their identity has always been a question mark because some of the drums were made in Japan and later Japan and Taiwan (ROC). Later all the kits were made in China.

The early made in Japan Swingstars can be identified fairly well using the following method
    1) the earliest kits (after the elimination of the Star drums name) were oval badge (oval black badge with gold writing), early 70s

2) In the mid 70s the "T" badge started to be used (around the Joint purchase of Camco by DW and Tama) on all the Japanese made kits., There are some Korean/Taiwan kits manufactured during this time, but they are easy to spot because the vent holes are located in a different position. The hardware and shell construction however are the same, with the exception of the lugs (which are like Astro lugs) and the position of the floor tom leg clamp (positioned about mid shell), and of course no Tama badge. Tama obviously made these changes so the off-shore drums could not be claimed as being Japan made product. These off-shore kits continue through the 90s and into the 2000s. Some of the Korea/Taiwan kits were sold in the USA bearing a white stick on label with the words "Thunder Drums" and a kong tag stating "made in Korea". I know Tama had a Taiwan (ROC) operation but can not find any history of a South Korean operation.

3) Tama Japan switched to a "White Badge" (no T) in the late 1980s between 87 and 88. Theories abound but its interesting the Tama white badge is nearly identical to the Yamaha badge of the same time period.... Later Tama kits can be seen with similar lugs to the Yamaha recording custom and and stage custom with nearly identical "White" badges.... With the end of the white badge kits, the Swingstar will no longer be made in Japan... it will be made off shore. The name of the Swingstar Japan kits appear to change to "Rock Star" as close as I can ascertain (around the power tom era). Probably a marketing issue to distinguish between japan made drums of high quality and the off-shore made drums. The Japanese are very sensitive to market acceptance of their product heritage. It would not be unusual to observe them making a distinct difference between Japan made and other Asian made products.

Taiwan ROC ... or China age
    4) Early in the 1990s The Korean/Taiwan kits are now sold as "Swingstar by Tama" and bear a rectangular stick-on badge. I have seen responses on the web which indicate the label also stated Taiwan (ROC). These badges can be seen in the 93-96 official brochures.

5) By 1998 the Swingstar shows up in official brocures with an oval badge (like the early 70s badge only smaller), with a long explanation written on the brochure about how Tama is trying to offer an entry level kit due to costs.... bla bla bla... aka indicating made off shore ... in China, but with Tama quality. Drum manufacturing is a labor intensive process so I'm not surprised at this and prior moves to reduce labor costs. The Tama factory in Taiwan has Japanese advisers integrated into the process (this is a common Japnese tactic with off shore manufacturing, it even occurs in the USA).

You know the rest of the story from that moment foreword.....Nearly Everything drum related today is made in China

So the summary is thus
    1- 1970s - early 90s there is Swingstar made in Japan .... then Swingstar Japan seems to be re-badged Rockstar They can be identified by the early large oval badge, the "T" badge and the later White badge
    2- From the early 1990s the Swingstar name is associated with off-shore kits made in Taiwan (ROC)... and later just China, which a variation of badges, starting with the stick on rectangular badge....

User Info Menu

WOW just saw a comparison video of the new Birch/Walnut to the Birch/Bubinga's and man the BW sounds fuller IMO. I was actually thinking of getting a B/B (wobble and all) because the prices have dropped wayyy down but after watching the video I am starting to question that. I would post the video link but ya know it's probably against some rule and would prevent drum bum from selling a keychain or something, but you can easily find it on youtube, just type in "Tama Starclassic Walnut/Birch Drum Set Review". I am going to have to try these out side by side in person before deciding.

I would be curious as to what you Tama guys HONESTLY think of it.
    Last edited by MDK; 04-04-2019 at 08:52 AM.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    WOW just saw a comparison video of the new Birch/Walnut to the Birch/Bubinga's and man the BW sounds fuller IMO. I was actually thinking of getting a B/B (wobble and all) because the prices have dropped wayyy down but after watching the video I am starting to question that. I would post the video link but ya know it's probably against some rule and would prevent drum bum from selling a keychain or something, but you can easily find it on youtube, just type in "Tama Starclassic Walnut/Birch Drum Set Review". I am going to have to try these out side by side in person before deciding.

I would be curious as to what you Tama guys HONESTLY think of it.
    Not to beat a dead horsey or anything but I would guess the hardware hasn't changed between the B/B and the B/W. Wobble away, it's all good.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I would post the video link but ya know it's probably against some rule and would prevent drum bum from selling a keychain or something.
    Just spit my coffee out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Not to beat a dead horsey or anything but I would guess the hardware hasn't changed between the B/B and the B/W. Wobble away, it's all good.
    Yeah, I put that in my post? So did you listen to the side by side I am talking about? what are your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Just spit my coffee out.
    I try not to post after having a few as my sarcasm sometimes gets away from me : )
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Yeah, I put that in my post? So did you listen to the side by side I am talking about? what are your thoughts?

I try not to post after having a few as my sarcasm sometimes gets away from me : )
    To be honest, I didn't. Reason number 1 is I'm not looking for anything at this time. Reason number 2 is I don't put a lot of value in online audio demonstrations. I'm not running a very hot sound system to my PC so I don't think it would do it much justice. I do appreciate your enthusiasm and in no way was I putting you or the product down. I know that the star hardware was a sticky point for you. I liked it, continue to and would not shy away from another kit should a price point and eye candy lure me in.

I apologize if I've done anything other than promote you and your ideas. You've always had my utmost respect, as do the members of this forum. Stay cool!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

To be honest, I didn't. Reason number 1 is I'm not looking for anything at this time. Reason number 2 is I don't put a lot of value in online audio demonstrations. I'm not running a very hot sound system to my PC so I don't think it would do it much justice. I do appreciate your enthusiasm and in no way was I putting you or the product down. I know that the star hardware was a sticky point for you. I liked it, continue to and would not shy away from another kit should a price point and eye candy lure me in.

I apologize if I've done anything other than promote you and your ideas. You've always had my utmost respect, as do the members of this forum. Stay cool!
    Whoa... Relax my friend I think your reading wayyy too much into this, Not sure why you feel the need to apologize as I did not take anything you said that way, The sarcasm quote had nothing to do with you. You can hear a difference in the video between the 2 kits and was just wondering what you guys thought of it. I realize kits can sound different depending on heads and tuning etc.
    Last edited by MDK; 04-08-2019 at 08:54 AM.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by singleflammedmill View Post
    Here are my Tama kits.

Tama Starclassic Maple

If you ever get sick of this kit, please let me know.

I think I can even learn to play left handed.

Signature here

User Info Menu

I just dropped a dime and a half on a new Imperialstar kit. I was browsing you tube last night for pointers about this kit and several critics mentioned the snare doesn't have a bed. True? I was hoping to transfer my Puresound wires to the new snare.

I play:

Drums & Hardware: DW.

Cymbals: Paiste.

Heads: Evans.

Sticks: Vic Firth and Pro Mark 5A, 7A.

User Info Menu

If you ever get sick of this kit, please let me know.

I think I can even learn to play left handed.

Sorry Bish, I bought this kit new in 2003 and I don't think I'll get sick of it soon.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Syclone View Post
    I just dropped a dime and a half on a new Imperialstar kit. I was browsing you tube last night for pointers about this kit and several critics mentioned the snare doesn't have a bed. True? I was hoping to transfer my Puresound wires to the new snare.

Not sure about the snare bed, but you shouldn’t have a problem transferring the snare wires over.

User Info Menu

I had a Tama Rockstar DX kit back in the 90's painted my Roto tom red to match.

IMG_0867 by Joe D, on Flickr

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by -bongos- View Post
    Not sure about the snare bed, but you shouldn’t have a problem transferring the snare wires over.
    It went fine. Thank you.

I play:

Drums & Hardware: DW.

Cymbals: Paiste.

Heads: Evans.

Sticks: Vic Firth and Pro Mark 5A, 7A.