Page 101 of 118 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111 ... LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,525 of 2948

Thread: DW Drums Discussion

User Info Menu

Default Re: DW Drums Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by IamJohnGalt View Post
    Greetings DW Drum Chatters;

This is my first day as a member of this community and my first post. With that said, I have read much of this DW thread over the last several weeks and am appreciative to you participants for the insights and inspiration that I have gleaned from your posts and pictures. Thanks!

I have been playing drums for over 35 years (started at 8) and have had only one brand new kit that I opened from the factory boxes myself...it was a TAMA Imperialstar's when I was around 13 years old. I have bought and sold a variety of used kits over the years. Right now I own two Gretch kits from the 80s era and a 1964 Ludwig Black Oyster Pearl (with all original hardware, cymbals and gig box that I looooovve).

On Monday January 4th, 2016 I ordered my first custom kit of drums....I AM PSYCHED!!!!! As you may have guessed, it is a DW:

Collectors Series (7pcs)
    Exotic Finish - Lacquer over Royal Ebony
    7x8 VLT
    8x10 VLT
    9x12 VLT
    12x14 X
    14x16 VLX
    18x22 VLX
    6.5x14

I asked DW to lean towards the darker versions of Royal Ebony (like my avatar) as opposed to some of those that I have seen that have more of lighter tone in them.

Needless to say, I cant wait to get these into my studio!! Currently they estimate 12-15 weeks

When I receive them I will do a box opening video that will include me playing them so you can see and hear them! I am very happy to be here at DRUM CHAT because this group can actually understand how excited I am now and how happy I will be when they arrive.

I will keep you folks posted! Cheers!!
    Congrats............welcome to DC!

IamJohnGalt Guest

Thanks for the welcome guys!!

The Candy Apple Red and the Macassar Ebony finishes both look amazing.

I chose chrome hardware with the Royal Ebony. I do like the other finishes on the drum hardware, however, the majority of the hardware on my kit (and most kits of course) is chrome...cymbal stands, hi-hat pedal etc.....so I like it all to be the same. YMMV

5 days down.....approx. 86 days to go

User Info Menu

Gonna be a long 86, my friend.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    I think I found my color... Candy Apple Red! Wow...

That looks awesome Kevin, the red color looks deep,beautiful with the chrome

User Info Menu

Thanks for the welcome guys!!

The Candy Apple Red and the Macassar Ebony finishes both look amazing.

I chose chrome hardware with the Royal Ebony. I do like the other finishes on the drum hardware, however, the majority of the hardware on my kit (and most kits of course) is chrome...cymbal stands, hi-hat pedal etc.....so I like it all to be the same. YMMV

I feel your pain. I ordered a set of custom DWs this past spring, and it was agony waiting for them. Congratulations and welcome to DC! I assume that your kit is maple? True? Mine is a 100% Cherry kit, with natural gloss lacquer. I love your Royal Ebony choice. I'm sure it will be beautiful!

Mine's here: http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...w-33870p2.html Scroll down toward the middle of the page.
    Last edited by cabasner; 01-08-2016 at 04:33 PM.
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

The cherry is sweet, Cabs!
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by myk View Post
    That looks awesome Kevin, the red color looks deep,beautiful with the chrome
    Thanks Myk. It's not mine yet. I'm waiting on a commission check and if I can swing it, it will be mine.
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

IamJohnGalt Guest

This whole waiting game is excruciating!!! 10 days down and it's killing me.

User Info Menu

Tick-tick-Tick-tick-Tick-tick-Tick-tick.....
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    Tick-tick-Tick-tick-Tick-tick-Tick-tick.....
    hahahaha oh the joys

User Info Menu

Another 8 down.
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

IamJohnGalt Guest

Haha...great video! Waiting IS the hardest part.

I don't know if you guys have experienced this phenomenon personally, however, when I am waiting on a particularly special piece of kit for my studio (usually recording gear) I start to prepare the space for it and clean/re-arrange the studio a bit). I relate it to a mother preparing her nest for an expected child. It is really weird and beyond my control. I really enjoy the process though

I have also been practicing with mutli camera video capture and edit so I can do a proper box opening and demo when they arrive.

User Info Menu

New here. I'm truly here for kit advise etc....I'm in the market for an acrylic kit and see no difference between the Tama and the DW. Any advise beyond a biased opinion?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummiedoc View Post
    New here. I'm truly here for kit advise etc....I'm in the market for an acrylic kit and see no difference between the Tama and the DW. Any advise beyond a biased opinion?

I absolutely love and want an Acrylic kit myself. I only own acrylic snares... (3 to be exact) and I've seen both a Tama and a DW new acrylic kit recently in person. Both were just awesome and I'd kill to bring either home. In the end the quality on both were top notch and I'd honestly just go buy budget and brand bias. (which I know you said no opinions) My choice if I could afford the DW would be the DW Performance Acrylic kit. But if the Tama was more in my budget I'd be just as happy.

User Info Menu

I think it's only one company that makes the shells. So what ever you buy you'll have the same shells. It's only up to you what hardware fittings appeal to you.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I agree with Spaz 100%. I would also consider the Pearl version - just because I love the Amber model (personal bias creeping in here).

Quite frankly I suspect that they will sound the same with the same size shells, heads and tuning - it just comes down to which hardware do you prefer the look of. I would have no problem owning a set, or hardware, from DW, Tama or Pearl. If I was considering an Acrylic kit - budget would be the main factor.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    I think it's only one company that makes the shells. So what ever you buy you'll have the same shells. It's only up to you what hardware fittings appeal to you.

all the best...
    Not true. Pearl (Taiwan) and Crush (U.S.A.) claim to manufacture their own acrylic shells with a proprietary formula. Total Spectrum Acrylic Drum Shells (formerly Gold-N-Times drums) makes acrylic shells for Tama and the re-issue Ludwig Vistalites, Orange County Drums, Pork Pie, and Spaun.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    My choice if I could afford the DW would be the DW Performance Acrylic kit.

The DW acrylic offering is actually called the Design Acrylic kit with Design lugs (smaller in diameter verses Performance) and hardware (bass spurs and tension rods).
    Last edited by late8; 02-02-2016 at 09:46 AM.

User Info Menu

Ahh that's right. Touche'

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    The DW acrylic offering is actually called the Design Acrylic kit with Design lugs (smaller in diameter verses Performance) and hardware (bass spurs and tension rods).
    Not to whip a dead horse..............but I must say...............

Those smaller lugs look SO MUCH better than the oversized lugs on the Collectors Series, IMHO.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Not to whip a dead horse..............but I must say...............

Those smaller lugs look SO MUCH better than the oversized lugs on the Collectors Series, IMHO.
    I totally agree. The large turret lugs on a 8" tom kinda kills it for me too. The Design lugs look much better.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I totally agree. The large turret lugs on a 8" tom kinda kills it for me too. The Design lugs look much better.

On a small tom like that, it gets much worse.
    With the hanging hardware and the lugs, you see very little shell finish.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    On a small tom like that, it gets much worse.
    With the hanging hardware and the lugs, you see very little shell finish.
    Like this?

User Info Menu

DW should make smaller lugs for rack toms but same style, just sayin'...