Page 102 of 118 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112 ... LastLast
Results 2,526 to 2,550 of 2948

Thread: DW Drums Discussion

User Info Menu

Default Re: DW Drums Discussion

The Performance Series lugs suit the kit better, IMO. This is especially true on smaller toms.

DW Performance Series
    Peavey Radial Pro RBS-1
    Roland TDW-20

Gibraltar rack system
    Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/Vault
    Tama pedals

User Info Menu

yeah I like the smaller lugs. Especially on those smaller 8" toms

User Info Menu

Definitely looks good on smaller toms. I can take the larger lugs on a rata (see mine below), and to match the kit, but think the intensity of the lugs is somewhat reduced on a rata, having them only at the north, south, east, west positions.

"I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)

User Info Menu

I always giggle at "rata" since I've always called them Octobans any other time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I always giggle at "rata" since I've always called them Octobans any other time.
    Same here--have to look up the name sometimes. Like if someone called Rototoms "Twisters". Guess it is a Trademark thing....
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)

IamJohnGalt Guest

Hello mods....you guys still out there? I posted over 24 hours ago and it is still under review?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Digital View Post
    The Performance Series lugs suit the kit better, IMO. This is especially true on smaller toms.
    Yes.................those do look nice.
    A friend of mine that plays in a competing band here in town has a set of white Performers exactly like yours.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by IamJohnGalt View Post
    Hello mods....you guys still out there? I posted over 24 hours ago and it is still under review?
    I feel you.
    But we're noobs so we wait.
    It's cool.

User Info Menu

So I decided to take the plunge today and put an order in for my DW Collector's Series kit. Glad to be joining the DW family!!!

Finish Ply - Twisted Blue Oyster
    Chrome Hardware
    All maple shells

8x10 Rack
    8x12 Rack
    12x14 Floor
    14x16 Floor
    18x20 Kick.

I cannot believe I did it and I cannot wait for it to get here. Pictures will be posted in a few months!!!
    Last edited by druski_2k5; 03-19-2016 at 04:05 PM.

User Info Menu

Congrats. I'm guessing you shelled out (get it, shelled out?) 4-5 K for them.

I think to complete my collection I would like to have another kit with a 20" bass drum. Just not seeing anything that is tripping my trigger right now.
    Last edited by Bish; 03-19-2016 at 10:45 PM.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I'll tell ya, I'm not a huge DW fan, but I think they do have the best tom mount system.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by druski_2k5 View Post
    So I decided to take the plunge today and put an order in for my DW Collector's Series kit. Glad to be joining the DW family!!!

Chrome Hardware
    All maple shells

8x10 Rack
    8x12 Rack
    12x14 Floor
    14x16 Floor
    18x20 Kick.

I cannot believe I did it and I cannot wait for it to get here. Pictures will be posted in a few months!!!

Congratulations and welcome aboard. You're going to love them, best drums in the world! (Yup, I'm that guy). I'm the old DW guy here, well I'm not that old, but I've been playing a Collectors since '97. Now you just have to wait anxiously for three months

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Congrats. I'm guess you shelled out (get it, shelled out?) 4-5 K for them.

I think to complete my collection I would like to have another kit with a 20" bass drum. Just not seeing anything that is tripping my trigger right now.
    I put 50% down now and I'll pay the other half when they come in. I have an 18x22 right now so I opted for a 20 for a little higher pitch, more articulation and a smaller diameter to get my rack toms even more where I want them than where they are now.

I did some research on a 20" and was a little scared of losing some lower end boom but it looks like I should still have enough, hopefully with tuning, heads and what not. I'm excited to try some different sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDog View Post
    Congratulations and welcome aboard. You're going to love them, best drums in the world! (Yup, I'm that guy). I'm the old DW guy here, well I'm not that old, but I've been playing a Collectors since '97. Now you just have to wait anxiously for three months
    I am hoping so! This is the kit of my dreams....until the next one comes around haha.

I've never made a purchase of this much amount without playing them in-person, but I did a ton of research, video searching and all of that before I committed to it.

The wait will be long but worth it I am sure. I've heard nothing but great things from DW owners, with a few exceptions, but I think I'll love them no problem.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    I'll tell ya, I'm not a huge DW fan, but I think they do have the best tom mount system.

yeah their STM setup is well done for sure !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by druski_2k5 View Post

Chrome Hardware
    All maple shells

8x10 Rack
    8x12 Rack
    12x14 Floor
    14x16 Floor
    18x20 Kick.

Nice color choice, similar to my Blue Oyster Glass finish.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    I actually think the tom mounts allow the drum to float too much and can be difficult to set up with the L rod and ball mount compared to other systems. They do allow the drum maximum resonance though. All depends what you're looking for.

User Info Menu

Congrats again Druski. I know you will love them, and appreciate how drummer friendly they are to tune, setup and play. I've been happily playing DW since 2000.
    Cut it large and kick it into place!

User Info Menu

Hey DW drummers, I am joining the family tomorrow, Trading my 5pc Sonor Beech plus $375 cash for a 4 pc DW dated 1998, and # 88772 but I do not know what that last number means. I believe they are DW shells (not keller) but cannot tell for sure till I look at the re-ring joint.

Any other things I should look for when inspecting them?
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

You've broken my heart. I'd personally rather have the Sonor Beech. Why getting rid of them?
    Good luck with the DW's. They are also awesome drums.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny G View Post
    You've broken my heart. I'd personally rather have the Sonor Beech. Why getting rid of them?
    Good luck with the DW's. They are also awesome drums.
    Yeah I decided not to do the deal. We met and the bass drum and floor tom did not have any stamping in them, while the 10" tom was stamped 1997 and the 12" tom was stamped 1998. The kit had alot of pitting on the hardware and some rust on the hoops, plus some of the lugs were extremely hard to turn out and it looked like one of the rubber mounts for the tom was chaffed through.

I decided that it was not worth my Kit + $375 cash and to be totally honest I would not even have traded him straight up. I pack my kit up and made a 40 minute drive to meet him and knew as soon as I saw the rust and pitting I would not be doing that deal.

Pretty sure they were keller shells though as all the rering seams were straight lines and I read somewhere that the DW shells all have S shaped joints for the rerings? Not that it mattered though as I know the Keller shells sound very very nice. I do not know enough about DW to purchase unstamped drums though plus do not feel like going through a kit completely and cleaning and polishing it up right now.

I noticed today he lowered his asking price of that kit from $1300 to $1180

I am only selling the Sonor because I am not gigging out right now and really do not need 2 kits, my other kit is a Yamaha hybrid maple absolute in the same sizes so if I can sell the Sonor I would like to get a second smaller kit eventually 20" or 18" BD. Plus right now I would like to get all Yamaha Hardware to go with my Yammie and could use the cash.
    Last edited by MDK; 04-03-2016 at 10:39 AM.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Oh well. If it was beat up with mismatched dates it's best that you turned it down. FWIW yes, straight seam = Keller, interlocking seam = DW.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

Default DW Classic Series?

Anyone own the Classic Series? If so what sizes? What Finish? Which Heads?
    What Hardware? How do you like them? Where did you buy them? Any Picts?
    Last edited by mdee; 04-20-2016 at 03:13 PM.
    27 inch iMac 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9 40GB Ram - macOS Big Sur 11.6.1
    Logic Pro X 10.7.0 - UA Apollo X6 - UAD-2 Quad Core Satellite TB3
    MOTU 8Pre USB - Yamaha HS7 - MAudio Axiom 61 2nd Gen

User Info Menu

I got a voice-mail from my music store today and they wanted me to call them back. Immediately I thought, "Ugh, what went wrong with my DW order and how am I going to fix it?"

So I call back immediately, frantic like a parent who has lost a child, and when I talked to the drum tech he told me what I thought surely had to be a mistake. My DW kit arrived. Today. At least two months early.

How could this be? I just put the order in exactly a month ago......this had to be a joke or a cruel lead into a terrible production error. No. He was dead serious. It had arrived, and was ready for pick-up.

I have the kit at my house now, in what I thought would be the most nervous drive home ever, was fairly easy, but I finally have it!! Pictures will be posted later although I don't think pictures really tell how gorgeous the kit truly is!

Time to re-record all the songs!!

User Info Menu

Congrats man, looking forward to seeing your beauties!
    Cut it large and kick it into place!

User Info Menu

that's awesome!