Page 105 of 118 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115 ... LastLast
Results 2,601 to 2,625 of 2948

Thread: DW Drums Discussion

User Info Menu

Default Re: DW Drums Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by 1DrumBum View Post
    Absolutely gorgeous kit late8!!!

As of today, I have joined the DW family myself!

Those look fantastic!

User Info Menu

Wow that is a killer kit!

User Info Menu

Beautiful kit 1DrumBum I love the wmp reminds me of an old slingerland kit

Thor1030 Guest

Arrow Frequent Flyer Kit review

I've played DW drums for over 20 years but not to say I haven't played on other top brands. I was the drummer for the 1910 Fruitgum Company and recently Billy Crash Craddock. I owned a Collectors in tobacco burst and nothing came close especially with good mic's and sound man. Some of the time we we're backlined and that's when I played other brands.

Now for the review.
    Picked up a Frequent Flyer kit in gloss white, changed heads and did a quick tune and set all the memory locks. With Pearl Demon Direct Drive double pedal, 17" Zildjian K crash, Istanbul 20" ride and Zildjian A Custom 13" hats.
    I have a 7"x8" Design Series tom and stand on the way.
    Not sure what to expect I sat down grabbed my sticks and WOW what sound came from this little set. Now I know allot of you will comment no way but to my ear sounded close if not on par to the Collector's kit.

Hard to believe, just try for yourself. The 12x20" kick(I did install a Kickport) has good low punch and didn't change heads yet either. The 12" and 14" again sounded awesome. Now for the snare, again good tone and attack. What more can you ask for.
    I understand this Kit was not built in CA and I suspect this is how DW kept the price down..But quality, build, fit and finish is on par with any high end kit out there.
    Now I'm not saying the Collector's series with all the custom options of wood, drum sizes, hardware etc is not a better set, they are but if your looking for a small light affordable kit then look no further then DW's Frewuent Flyer kit.
    You'll be glad you did.
    I will post pictures soon.

User Info Menu

Hey DW Owners, I wanted to make a post about DW's drum heads & some experimentation real quick.

Back Story

I got my Collector's kit recently, and was really blown away by how good the drums sound and how great the stock heads are.

After putting some Evans G2 Coated heads on my drums, it seemed to kill the sustain and tone of the kit too much, so I took them off and went back to the stock heads. I have always been an Evans Coated G2 guy, but after having that bad of an experience with them on my Collector's, I will never put two ply batter heads on this kit.

I bought some Evans G12 Coated Heads, which are a single ply head but are 20% thicker than a G1 to give the drums more warmth. I really enjoy these heads as I get good warmth but also keep good sustain as well.

Fast forward to my experimentation now.

My 12" rack tom is the hardest of my drums to tune, for whatever reason, it is also the one that I would use the most next to my 14" so I really try to nail the 12" before all others. My 12" tom [Evans G12 Coated Batter & Evans G1 Clear Reso] is tuned to around 133 fundamental note with my Tune Bot. It sounds the best in that range but I would like it a tad deeper.

So I put the stock DW Clear/Coated Head back on my 12", kept the G1 Clear Reso. I tuned my 12" to 136 fundamental note on the Tune Bot and it sounded nice. But I wanted to get a deeper sound out of it. So I decided to tune it lower, and lower and lower. I got it down to around 106 fundamental note where it was very deep and fat but it still sounded like a drum & resonated well.

I put the G12 Coated back on my 12" and the best that drum sounded at a lower fundamental note was 120. When I got the G12 Coated to around 106, the drum sounded papery and flat, unlike where the Clear/Coated head was at with it at that range.

So while I still enjoy the Evans G12 Coated on my Collector's Kit, I now believe the DW Coated/Clear heads can be tuned extremely high OR extremely low, while still sounding great! I know my two floor toms were tuned lower than they are now with the DW Clear/Coated heads as opposed to where they are now with the G12 Coated heads.

It appears that my Evans G12 Coated, and probably other companies drum heads, can only go so low or high before they sound bad, but for some reason....these DW Clear/Coated Heads seem to be MORE versatile, which is what I prefer. The drums record great & sound great in person as well. I will probably stick with the G12's for recording [warmth and what not] and when I play live I will probably swap the G12's out for the Clear/Coated heads, because the sustain on those things is unreal and would probably be best suited for live performance.

Just thought this was interesting that when I compared both drum heads, one sounded good at one level while the other sounded flat and paper sounding, and I figured they might both sound okay at those levels, but that was not the case. The drums that you are tuning probably also make a difference as well.

Which leads me to my next thought....I want to now try DW's Single Ply Coated Heads, as opposed to the Clear/Coated. If DW Coated heads can keep with that unreal sustain from the Clear/Coated but give me some more warmth, they would probably beat the Coated G12's out. I've never been a Remo guy, but these Coated/Clear heads from DW I still think are the best for a Collector's kit, throughout just some experimentation so far, and I know others have had the same opinion as well.

Has anyone ever tried DW's Single Ply Coated? How did they compare to the Clear/Coated?
    Last edited by druski_2k5; 07-17-2016 at 07:43 PM.
    DW Collectors
    Twisted Blue Oyster
    Toms: 8x10, 8x12, 12x14, 14x16 [Evans G2 Coated/Evans Clear Genera Resonant/G1]
    Kick: 18x20 [Evans EMAD2 White/EQ3 Coated White + Kickport]
    Pure Maple Standard Shells
    Chrome Hardware

Snare: 6x13 DW Edge Snare - Tiger Oyster - Chrome Hardware
    Aux: 5x12 Pork Pie Little Squealer
    RotoToms: 6 - 8 - 10 - Remo Pinstripe Clear
    Evans & Remo Heads

Cymbals
    Zildjian A Custom
    Zildjian A Series
    Zildjian EFX
    Zildjian K & K Custom
    Sabian Paragon

User Info Menu

Picked this little beauty up this week....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    Great pick-up SA! Super snare IMO. The 3P butt plate is an easy add on if you wish too.

User Info Menu

Holy Moly!!!

Quote Originally Posted by areFish View Post
    Great pick-up SA! Super snare IMO. The 3P butt plate is an easy add on if you wish too.

Well, well, look who's popped up after a loooong time. Hi, areFish!!!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Well, well, look who's popped up after a loooong time. Hi, areFish!!!!
    Hello Bish!

User Info Menu

We've missed you and your beautiful Dubs and your awesome picture taking abilities.

Whatcha' been up to?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by areFish View Post
    yeah I have that on two other snares and I debated purchasing one for this snare too.

User Info Menu

Absolutely gorgeous kit late8!!!

As of today, I have joined the DW family myself!

Thank you! Wow! Love the wrap. Very nice set up!

User Info Menu

Both of these new acquisitions are beautiful.............congratulations.
    Proving again that the smaller lugs look better.

Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Awesome drums everyone!

Here's an updated picture of mine. Please ignore the ugly microphones and cables.

DW Collectors
    Twisted Blue Oyster
    Toms: 8x10, 8x12, 12x14, 14x16 [Evans G2 Coated/Evans Clear Genera Resonant/G1]
    Kick: 18x20 [Evans EMAD2 White/EQ3 Coated White + Kickport]
    Pure Maple Standard Shells
    Chrome Hardware

Snare: 6x13 DW Edge Snare - Tiger Oyster - Chrome Hardware
    Aux: 5x12 Pork Pie Little Squealer
    RotoToms: 6 - 8 - 10 - Remo Pinstripe Clear
    Evans & Remo Heads

Cymbals
    Zildjian A Custom
    Zildjian A Series
    Zildjian EFX
    Zildjian K & K Custom
    Sabian Paragon

User Info Menu

Finally chrome hoops on the 12'' Edge:

And updated more of the vintage kit, like upgrading the R.I.M.S. to the latest chrome brackets:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by druski_2k5 View Post
    Awesome drums everyone!

Here's an updated picture of mine. Please ignore the ugly microphones and cables.

Wow this is gorgeous

User Info Menu

Default Re: Frequent Flyer Kit review

Quote Originally Posted by Thor1030 View Post
    I've played DW drums for over 20 years but not to say I haven't played on other top brands. I was the drummer for the 1910 Fruitgum Company and recently Billy Crash Craddock. I owned a Collectors in tobacco burst and nothing came close especially with good mic's and sound man. Some of the time we we're backlined and that's when I played other brands.

Now for the review.
    Picked up a Frequent Flyer kit in gloss white, changed heads and did a quick tune and set all the memory locks. With Pearl Demon Direct Drive double pedal, 17" Zildjian K crash, Istanbul 20" ride and Zildjian A Custom 13" hats.
    I have a 7"x8" Design Series tom and stand on the way.
    Not sure what to expect I sat down grabbed my sticks and WOW what sound came from this little set. Now I know allot of you will comment no way but to my ear sounded close if not on par to the Collector's kit.

Hard to believe, just try for yourself. The 12x20" kick(I did install a Kickport) has good low punch and didn't change heads yet either. The 12" and 14" again sounded awesome. Now for the snare, again good tone and attack. What more can you ask for.
    I understand this Kit was not built in CA and I suspect this is how DW kept the price down..But quality, build, fit and finish is on par with any high end kit out there.
    Now I'm not saying the Collector's series with all the custom options of wood, drum sizes, hardware etc is not a better set, they are but if your looking for a small light affordable kit then look no further then DW's Frewuent Flyer kit.
    You'll be glad you did.
    I will post pictures soon.
    Sounds cool!

Every DW line I've heard sounds super, to my ear. The PDP kit a friend of mine was using a couple of years back had a 20" bass drum, 12" tom and 14" floor tom...sounded amazing! He was using the DW concrete snare at the time. Holy Jeebus is all I can say.

Cheers.

Rich
    DW drums and Paiste cymbals.

User Info Menu

^that concrete snare is no joke!

User Info Menu

I was out of town and stopped at the guitar center on the way home.
    They had a brass DW snare drum in there used pile.
    I looked it over and wanted it but DID not buy it...

until...

My buddy Joe who works there said Zack if I cut you a deal would you take that DW Brass?
    So I said yes and walked out with a new/used DW brass snare.
    I'll take photos and post them up later.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

That's a really good drum Spaz. I've got one of the newer DW BNOB snares and it kills other snares on sight. You'll fall in love with it.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

I bought these used from GC yesterday. They are exotic waterfall bubinga shells in pristine condition. These are too nice to gig with, & I'm dedicating my PDP set for a knock-around gigging kit.

User Info Menu

omg that babinga waterfall is siiiiiiiiiick!
    They are so gorgeous great pickup!

User Info Menu

oh my ! You have the children's car rug! That's hilarious and awesome

User Info Menu

WOW, eye popping goodness.

Congrats!!
    Signature here