Page 17 of 118 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast

Thread: DW Drums Discussion

User Info Menu

Default Re: DW Drums Discussion

all set up now.

User Info Menu

Nice kit and nice bike!
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummermike58 View Post
    all set up now.

Nice Kit DM58 love the colour..is that a Ludwig Black Beauty or a World Max Black Hawg snare you got there looks lke 14"x6.5"
    "PLAY IT LOUD AND PLAY IT PROUD":

User Info Menu

nice kit mike, looks very playable and fun
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumnpk View Post
    Nice Kit DM58 love the colour..is that a Ludwig Black Beauty or a World Max Black Hawg snare you got there looks lke 14"x6.5"
    Pork Pie/World Max Fat Black Bob. I just finally dialed it in for my feel. and yep, 14x6.5

User Info Menu

Pork Pie/World Max Fat Black Bob. I just finally dialed it in for my feel. and yep, 14x6.5
    Cool have the World Max version great sounding snare..close your eyes and it's a Luddy Black Beauty
    "PLAY IT LOUD AND PLAY IT PROUD":

User Info Menu

I'm very interested in the VLT/VLX technology. Just wondering how much it actually affects the tone of the drum.

I want the feel of a 20 inch kickdrum, but the tone of a 22 inch.

Would a 20 inch VLX kickdrum be the way to go?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dragon82 View Post
    I'm very interested in the VLT/VLX technology. Just wondering how much it actually affects the tone of the drum.

I want the feel of a 20 inch kickdrum, but the tone of a 22 inch.

Would a 20 inch VLX kickdrum be the way to go?
    Then get at 23" kick drum and tune it up a little tighter than normal. you will get the feel of the 20 in terms of beater rebound, but the depth and size is great as compared to a smaller size tightened up like that. I am doing this now. Only issue i see is getting an emad head in 23" I think remo is the only manufacturer for this size.

User Info Menu

Then get at 23" kick drum and tune it up a little tighter than normal. you will get the feel of the 20 in terms of beater rebound, but the depth and size is great as compared to a smaller size tightened up like that. I am doing this now. Only issue i see is getting an emad head in 23" I think remo is the only manufacturer for this size.
    Thanks for the tip. That is one way of doing it.

It's just that I also prefer smaller kickdrums. They make the general setup for the kit much easier for me. So question is still: will a 20 inch VLX have the tone of a "normal" 22 inch?

User Info Menu

I say don't get the 23". As nice as they sound, you can't throw on a Super Kick or an EMAD, two of the best bass drum heads out there. I mean, there is always the Powerstroke heads, but I would say go for the 20" VLX. They sound niiiicceee :D
    Tama Starclassic Birch in Emerald Sea Fade 24x18, 13x10, 18x16
    Mapex Black Panther Phosphor Bronze 5.5x14
    Remo Coated Emperors (or Evans Clear EC2s) over Remo Coated Ambassadors
    Remo Coated Ambassador Over Hazy Diplomat Snare Side
    Dream Contact 14" Hi-Hats, Zildjian Avedis 21" Sweet Ride, Zildjian A Custom 18" Projection Crash, Wuhan 18" China
    Vic Firth 5As and 5Bs/Sound Percussion 5Bs and 2Bs

"Da head of the drum doesn't matter, it's da head of da drummer that matters most..." -Phrogge

User Info Menu

Being a 23" kick owner, I know for sure that Remo is the only company making them right now. But, I think I heard something about PDP also starting to offer 23" kick drums...hopefully Evans will start making EMADs for this size.
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RHD03 View Post
    Being a 23" kick owner, I know for sure that Remo is the only company making them right now. But, I think I heard something about PDP also starting to offer 23" kick drums...hopefully Evans will start making EMADs for this size.
    don't hold your breath. major head companies are slow about addressing the needs of their customers. it's like pulling teeth to get them to replace poorly shipped heads even.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Hello all!

New to the drumchat community, but already enjoying it. (Yes, and also posted on the initiation page!)

My current kit is a DW, hence why I am here.

After a lot of searching and saving, it is currently as in pics:

1. 8x10 w/VLT shells (Shure XL57 May mike)
    2. 9x12 w/VLT shells (Shure XL57 May mike)
    3. 10x13 w/VLT shells (Shure XL57 May mike)
    4. 12x15 floor tom w/X shell (Shure Beta 52 May mike)
    5. 14x16 floor tom w/X shell (Shure Beta 52 May mike)
    6. 18x23 Bass drum w/VLX shell (Shure Beta 52 (bass) May mike)

General:

-Black mirra special lacquer finish
    -Chrome (polished) hardware
    -true pitch rods
    -suspension tom mounts (mounted toms)
    -ESE edge on 8x10 and 9x12
    -Mikes connected with AVC (no drilling)

Other:

-Roland SPD-S (sampler)

Cymbals:
    --Paiste Signature 14 inch dark crisp hi hats
    --Paiste Twenty (20") ride
    --Paiste Signature 14 inch fast crash
    --Paiste Signature 18 inch fast crash
    --Paiste Twenty (16") thin china
    --Zil bel (9")
    --Sabian chopper (12") effects cymbal
    --Splashes (8 and 10 inch)

For gigging, I use a "slimmed down" version of the set, including using cymbal arms in the tom stands to reduce the number of stands.

Yes, considered the standard miking approach, but went with no-drill (so they can be removed without any impact on drums) miking as it sounds great in studio or live, and reduces set up time a lot. (On the comment earlier in this thread, I do feel like I had to give up a lung for this, and still recovering..., though the sweet sounds make the recovery easier.

"I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)

User Info Menu

I mean, what about custom kits. I know there are pro drummers who want stupid size drum heads that evans, remo, etc will make for them. Im sure if I had to pay double the price to get the head, I could just have them custom make it.

User Info Menu

Here are my babies..
    Sizes:
    7x8, 8x10, 11x12, 12x14, 13x16 toms
    18x22 Bass
    5.5x14 DW/Craviotto Snare
    Recently sold the Craviotto and now have a 6x13 DW Edge Snare.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4799187...42845/sizes/l/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/4799187...13948/sizes/l/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/47991878@N08/4391313038/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/4799187...15338/sizes/l/
    Last edited by patrickwitherow; 02-28-2010 at 02:30 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by patrickwitherow View Post
    Here are my babies..
    Sizes:
    7x8, 8x10, 11x12, 12x14, 13x16 toms
    18x22 Bass
    5.5x14 DW/Craviotto Snare
    Recently sold the Craviotto and now have a 6x13 DW Edge Snare.

I can't see 'em!

And Tadman, that set is absolutely incredible!
    Dream Contact 14" Hi-Hats, Zildjian Avedis 21" Sweet Ride, Zildjian A Custom 18" Projection Crash, Wuhan 18" China

"Da head of the drum doesn't matter, it's da head of da drummer that matters most..." -Phrogge

User Info Menu

Thanks, Mr. Tama! Wanted to see your pics, too. So many beautiful kits in this group!
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)

User Info Menu

Mr. Tama--checked the Tama thread (of course!). Sweet Tama Swingstar kit! I've only played a couple of Tama kits, but enjoyed each experience.

User Info Menu

8x10
    9x12
    10x13
    12x15
    14x16
    18x23

Nice size choice! I like the 13 mounted with the 15 & 16 floor tom set up you have... I'd love to hear that combo.
    DW Collector's Series ~ Zildjian cymbals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JayW View Post
    8x10
    9x12
    10x13
    12x15
    14x16
    18x23

Nice size choice! I like the 13 mounted with the 15 & 16 floor tom set up you have... I'd love to hear that combo.
    Tadman: Thanks! yeah, I'll try to get a sound bite up here. They are real "gut punchers". I sometimes adjust kit arrangement so that the 13, 15 and 16 are my gigging toms.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tadman View Post
    Hello all!

New to the drumchat community, but already enjoying it. (Yes, and also posted on the initiation page!)

My current kit is a DW, hence why I am here.

After a lot of searching and saving, it is currently as in pics:

1. 8x10 w/VLT shells (Shure XL57 May mike)
    2. 9x12 w/VLT shells (Shure XL57 May mike)
    3. 10x13 w/VLT shells (Shure XL57 May mike)
    4. 12x15 floor tom w/X shell (Shure Beta 52 May mike)
    5. 14x16 floor tom w/X shell (Shure Beta 52 May mike)
    6. 18x23 Bass drum w/VLX shell (Shure Beta 52 (bass) May mike)

General:

-Black mirra special lacquer finish
    -Chrome (polished) hardware
    -true pitch rods
    -suspension tom mounts (mounted toms)
    -ESE edge on 8x10 and 9x12
    -Mikes connected with AVC (no drilling)

Other:

-Roland SPD-S (sampler)

Cymbals:
    --Paiste Signature 14 inch dark crisp hi hats
    --Paiste Twenty (20") ride
    --Paiste Signature 14 inch fast crash
    --Paiste Signature 18 inch fast crash
    --Paiste Twenty (16") thin china
    --Zil bel (9")
    --Sabian chopper (12") effects cymbal
    --Splashes (8 and 10 inch)

For gigging, I use a "slimmed down" version of the set, including using cymbal arms in the tom stands to reduce the number of stands.

Yes, considered the standard miking approach, but went with no-drill (so they can be removed without any impact on drums) miking as it sounds great in studio or live, and reduces set up time a lot. (On the comment earlier in this thread, I do feel like I had to give up a lung for this, and still recovering..., though the sweet sounds make the recovery easier.

Tadman that is a wonderful set-up! Great cymbals as well. I also use a Paiste Signature 18 inch fast crash as my main crash
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Thanks, Andreeew. Here's a pick of the kit with the ozone crash I had, before switched out to the Paiste thin China.

User Info Menu

Mr. Tama--checked the Tama thread (of course!). Sweet Tama Swingstar kit! I've only played a couple of Tama kits, but enjoyed each experience.
    That was my old kit! My new kit is far superior Tama Starclassic Birch!

The set up is slightly different now, I actually am using my boom for my ride which is lower, I swapped out the Pinstripes for Coated Emperors at the moment, and my hi hats are lower. The rack tom's position has changed as well. Everything is perfect right now!

User Info Menu

Sweet! (Apologies to all D-dubbers for the slight pause for necessary Tama appreciation on the DW thread.) That set looks really comfortable to play.

User Info Menu

Sweet! (Apologies to all D-dubbers for the slight pause for necessary Tama appreciation on the DW thread.) That set looks really comfortable to play.
    Oh boy, you hit the nail on the head. I think that every set should be positioned on what is COMFORTABLE to play. Not always what looks cool. Comfortable for me is a slightly tilted, but closer to flat rack tom that is a little lower, my floor tom is slightly lower than my snare in height and very slightly tilted towards me, and my snare is flat. As for cymbals, almost completely flat and medium to lower in height. I find I can't crash the bow of my cymbal with angled cymbals. My ride is even flat because I get on top of it and I crash it as well. Everything is where my body would want to reach if I was blindfolded (except sometimes my crash isn't because of lack of space).