Page 51 of 118 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 2948

Thread: DW Drums Discussion

User Info Menu

Default Re: DW Drums Discussion

Alright Y'all, here's my second DW kit. I purchased this kit used for playing live - best part, I paid a grand total of $950 for this beast.

This is a 1999-2000 DW kit, so it's DW shells, there is no vertical grain visible on the inside of the drums, which I believe means these are standard shells and not VLT shells. It's a black finishply with chrome hardware. There are some cosmetic issues, as with any used kit. There is pedal rash on the hoops, and some discoloration on the kick drum hoop wood. The two rack toms have some definite snare rash and the kit in general has some kniks and dings that I would assume is because it was used as a live kit previously. A couple of the air vent grommets are also missing, but I ordered those replacement parts already. Obviously the heads need to be replaced, I already had some 24" kick heads, so those were already swapped, but the toms came with some beat up heads on them and will need to be replaced as well.

Here's a size rundown (diameter x depth):
    12x10
    13x11
    14x14
    16x16
    24x16

For the price I paid, you can't shake a stick at this. This is just a product of looking and waiting for the right purchase. I had been looking for a decently priced DW to play live for the last 4 months. Totally stoked.

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

User Info Menu

Nice one! Pretty awesome, especially considering the price.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by VI952 View Post
    Nice one! Pretty awesome, especially considering the price.
    +1 Very nice!
    Dw | Zildjian | Pro-Mark | Evans

User Info Menu

great catch!
    DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth, Remo
    http://www.reverbnation.com/jonpnorris

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Digital View Post
    I guess these belong in here as well.

I must have this kit. With black hardware instead of chrome.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Xoferif09 View Post
    I must have this kit. With black hardware instead of chrome.
    It's too bad they don't offer this kit with black hardware (yet).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by areFish View Post
    It's too bad they don't offer this kit with black hardware (yet).
    You could get a collector's series with that finish and black hardware, just no HVX shells.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nechre View Post
    Alright Y'all, here's my second DW kit. I purchased this kit used for playing live - best part, I paid a grand total of $950 for this beast.

This is a 1999-2000 DW kit, so it's DW shells, there is no vertical grain visible on the inside of the drums, which I believe means these are standard shells and not VLT shells. It's a black finishply with chrome hardware. There are some cosmetic issues, as with any used kit. There is pedal rash on the hoops, and some discoloration on the kick drum hoop wood. The two rack toms have some definite snare rash and the kit in general has some kniks and dings that I would assume is because it was used as a live kit previously. A couple of the air vent grommets are also missing, but I ordered those replacement parts already. Obviously the heads need to be replaced, I already had some 24" kick heads, so those were already swapped, but the toms came with some beat up heads on them and will need to be replaced as well.

12x10
    13x11
    14x14
    16x16
    24x16

For the price I paid, you can't shake a stick at this. This is just a product of looking and waiting for the right purchase. I had been looking for a decently priced DW to play live for the last 4 months. Totally stoked.
    That's pretty rad. Nice to have a really solid kit that you can gig with and not worry about dinging up.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    That's pretty rad. Nice to have a really solid kit that you can gig with and not worry about dinging up.
    True enough. Since it's already worn, what's a few more scratches? Well, it'll matter (not like I'm looking for more road rash), but I won't be bummed if something gets scratched or dinged anyway.

I got around to re-heading the toms with my standard Clear Emperor over Clear Ambassador and got them tuned up. My first impression was wow, this thing is thunderous. I set up a small (for me) 1 crash, hats, and ride setup and played them for a couple hours and these are going to more than do the job. We'll see how they impress when I go in to audition for a fill in spot with a cover band next week.

User Info Menu

True enough. Since it's already worn, what's a few more scratches? Well, it'll matter (not like I'm looking for more road rash), but I won't be bummed if something gets scratched or dinged anyway.

I got around to re-heading the toms with my standard Clear Emperor over Clear Ambassador and got them tuned up. My first impression was wow, this thing is thunderous. I set up a small (for me) 1 crash, hats, and ride setup and played them for a couple hours and these are going to more than do the job. We'll see how they impress when I go in to audition for a fill in spot with a cover band next week.
    Do they sound the same as your other Collectors Series kit or are the shells different?

User Info Menu

Do they sound the same as your other Collectors Series kit or are the shells different?
    To my ears they are very different drums, but I'm operating on memory with my satin kit.

These wrapped drums are what DW calls "standard" sizes, so they're the 80s/90s standard size drums, which were typically deeper than their fast sizes (which the other kit is). The satin kit has VLTs and X-Shells as well, so being more shallow and with the grain orientation the satin kit should theoretically be lower pitched, but I haven't had a chance to put the two kits side by side yet (no room! lol!). I'm sure I'll be surprised when I do, especially with the differences between the two tom sizes that match (the 12 and 16). I would expect that those should sound very different.

Kind of want to check it out now...

User Info Menu

To my ears they are very different drums, but I'm operating on memory with my satin kit.

These wrapped drums are what DW calls "standard" sizes, so they're the 80s/90s standard size drums, which were typically deeper than their fast sizes (which the other kit is). The satin kit has VLTs and X-Shells as well, so being more shallow and with the grain orientation the satin kit should theoretically be lower pitched, but I haven't had a chance to put the two kits side by side yet (no room! lol!). I'm sure I'll be surprised when I do, especially with the differences between the two tom sizes that match (the 12 and 16). I would expect that those should sound very different.

Kind of want to check it out now...
    My wife and newborn just left the house...I'm about to play my drums for the first time in 2 weeks!

User Info Menu

12x10
    13x11
    14x14
    16x16
    24x16

great deal
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

anyone else get overwhelmed with designing a kit with all the shell options?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkat View Post
    anyone else get overwhelmed with designing a kit with all the shell options?
    Just get a Performance Series. Only have to worry about 8 colors, and a few shell sizes.
    DW Performance Series
    Peavey Radial Pro RBS-1
    Roland TDW-20

Gibraltar rack system
    Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/Vault
    Tama pedals

User Info Menu

My wife and newborn just left the house...I'm about to play my drums for the first time in 2 weeks!
    ...Have fun...enjoy it while you can

User Info Menu

Just get a Performance Series. Only have to worry about 8 colors, and a few shell sizes.
    Right. This series does seem to be a no-nonsense series. I guess in the end, they all sound like drums

User Info Menu

Of course if your loaded and really want custom DW's, the Collectors offers limitless possibilities. I wish I could afford something exotic, but with the size of drums that I got (plus hw/cymbals), it would have cost me 20k at least.
    DW Performance Series
    Peavey Radial Pro RBS-1
    Roland TDW-20

Gibraltar rack system
    Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/Vault
    Tama pedals

User Info Menu

Of course if your loaded and really want custom DW's, the Collectors offers limitless possibilities. I wish I could afford something exotic, but with the size of drums that I got (plus hw/cymbals), it would have cost me 20k at least.
    Ain't that the truth. Well, people will argue this, Especially with dw because of the high cost, but you generally get what you pay for. If you pay 10 grand for a kit, you're getting arguably the best drums in the world.

User Info Menu

Ain't that the truth. Well, people will argue this, Especially with dw because of the high cost, but you generally get what you pay for. If you pay 10 grand for a kit, you're getting arguably the best drums in the world.
    Careful! Those are fire-starting words there.
    I played a performance series kit the other day and was shocked...again! Looking to try a 20" kick though. nobody seems to cary them around

User Info Menu

I played a performance series kit the other day and was shocked...again!
    +1, sans "the other day", add "every day"! . Seriously though, I finally replaced all stock heads on my Perf. Series. Running clear EC2 SST / clear G1 on the toms. Even with the built in control ring these drums are lively.

User Info Menu

Found out today that my new dw snare just arrived at Dale's Drum Shop in PA. Will be shipped out to me first thing Monday. Now it's going to be a looooong weekend!! They are going to snap a few pictures for me and email them. That should get me through the next few days

User Info Menu

\ Looking to try a 20" kick though. nobody seems to cary them around
    You will love it! I'm obsessed with my 20x16" DW kick.
    Kits:
    -C&C Player Date 13/16/22
    -65' Ludwig Super Classic 13/16/22

Snares:
    -DW Nickel Over Brass 6.5x14 snare
    -Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 65' Super Classic 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 64' Pioneer 5x14 snare
    -PDP Classic Wood hoop 6x14 snare

Rides:
    -Zildjian 22" Constantinople
    -Zildjian 22" Kerope
    -Zildjian 20" Constantinople
    Hats:
    -17" A Medium crash over K custom dark crash

-DW 9000 pedals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by patrickwitherow View Post
    Found out today that my new dw snare just arrived at Dale's Drum Shop in PA. Will be shipped out to me first thing Monday. Now it's going to be a looooong weekend!! They are going to snap a few pictures for me and email them. That should get me through the next few days
    Want me to pick it up for you? I can be at Dale's in 5 minutes!

User Info Menu

Dales sent some teaser pics to me. Will post them later this evening. Looks amazing!!