Page 75 of 118 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785 ... LastLast
Results 1,851 to 1,875 of 2948

Thread: DW Drums Discussion

User Info Menu

Default Re: DW Drums Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by michael11 View Post
    Today is the day!
    First day owning my very own DW's !!!! (long time coming..)
    Tangerine Glass with Satin Chrome hardware
    8x12, 14x16 and a crazy 20x20 bass drum

They need a good cleaning, anyone know the best way to clean satin hardware?? also what works best for finish ply shells?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    That is gorgeous............................reminds me of Joey Kramer's kit with the satin hardware

User Info Menu

OK. I'm 95% sure I'm going to be ordering a DWPS kit in the next couple of weeks. Really having trouble deciding on a finish though. Of the lacquer/oil finishes on their site I'm not totally in awe of either. I like the new Tobacco Satin Oil the most of the non-wrap finishes. Also dig the Ebony Stain and White Ice. The finishes I really like however are the White Marine Pearl and Titanium Sparkle wraps.
    Here's my dilemma...I've always steered clear of wraps. Not sure why, but I think a 'non-wrapped' shell would sing better without the plastic glued to it. Is DW's Finishply process any different than other wraps? Am I being paranoid to think the wrapped kit won't sound as good as the lacquer/oil finish?
    Really wish DW offer a natural lacquer finish in the Performance Series. I'd jump all over it. Kind of odd that they don't when you think about it.
    Kits
    DW Performance(white marine): 8x7/10x8/12x9/16x14/22x18
    Mapex Saturn III(transparent walnut): 10x8/12x9/16x16/22x18/14x5.5

Snares
    Pork Pie 14x7 Cherry/Bubinga
    Pork Pie 14x6.5 Big Black Bob
    Mapex Saturn 14x5.5 Maple/Walnut
    Homemade 14x5.5 Maple(10 ply Keller)

Cymbals
    Sabian
    14" AA regular hats
    10" AAX splash
    16" AAX Xplosion fast crash
    18" AAX Xplosion fash crash
    16" HH thin crash
    20" HHX stage ride

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mkennedy View Post
    OK. I'm 95% sure I'm going to be ordering a DWPS kit in the next couple of weeks. Really having trouble deciding on a finish though. Of the lacquer/oil finishes on their site I'm not totally in awe of either. I like the new Tobacco Satin Oil the most of the non-wrap finishes. Also dig the Ebony Stain and White Ice. The finishes I really like however are the White Marine Pearl and Titanium Sparkle wraps.
    Here's my dilemma...I've always steered clear of wraps. Not sure why, but I think a 'non-wrapped' shell would sing better without the plastic glued to it. Is DW's Finishply process any different than other wraps? Am I being paranoid to think the wrapped kit won't sound as good as the lacquer/oil finish?
    Really wish DW offer a natural lacquer finish in the Performance Series. I'd jump all over it. Kind of odd that they don't when you think about it.
    Hi mkennedy...

I previously owned a DWPS in the WMP wrap... that kit was absolutely stunning, especially on a stage!!

DW does their wrap a little different, but mostly at/near the hoops/bearing edge. Many companies wrap the drum where it overlaps the full depth of the tom. The DW wraps are cut such that the wrap butt ends meet (don't overlap) right where the heads would sit over the shell (probably about a half inch from the bearing edge), and they overlap for the remaining visible part of the shell. (I hope I explained that well). Also, their wraps are glued to the entire surface of the shell, not just the overlap.

As far as the sonic difference, there is debate on if and how much it changes the sound. I don't think it makes that much difference, if any.

But if I am going to gig with a kit, I prefer it to be wrapped... the shell is better protected from dings, scratches, etc.
    Gretsch Renown RN1 ~ Silver Oyster Pearl

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kickinit View Post
    Hi mkennedy...

I previously owned a DWPS in the WMP wrap... that kit was absolutely stunning, especially on a stage!!

DW does their wrap a little different, but mostly at/near the hoops/bearing edge. Many companies wrap the drum where it overlaps the full depth of the tom. The DW wraps are cut such that the wrap butt ends meet (don't overlap) right where the heads would sit over the shell (probably about a half inch from the bearing edge), and they overlap for the remaining visible part of the shell. (I hope I explained that well). Also, their wraps are glued to the entire surface of the shell, not just the overlap.

As far as the sonic difference, there is debate on if and how much it changes the sound. I don't think it makes that much difference, if any.

But if I am going to gig with a kit, I prefer it to be wrapped... the shell is better protected from dings, scratches, etc.
    Thanks for the response! If you don't me asking, I have a few questions...
    How would you describe them in terms of response, tuning range, resonance, projection, etc.?
    Did you ever have the opportunity to compare them to a Collector's kit?
    What sizes did you have?
    You say you previously owned them. Was it anything to do with the drums that made you part with them?
    Thanks for all your help.
    Kits

Snares

Cymbals
    Sabian
    14" AA regular hats
    10" AAX splash
    16" HH thin crash
    20" HHX stage ride

User Info Menu

Get the wrap if it's a look you really love, I don't think it changes the sound at all, plus you won't have to worry about damaging it or scratching it and can actually take her out and play her.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Thanks for the response! If you don't me asking, I have a few questions...
    How would you describe them in terms of response, tuning range, resonance, projection, etc.?
    Did you ever have the opportunity to compare them to a Collector's kit?
    What sizes did you have?
    You say you previously owned them. Was it anything to do with the drums that made you part with them?
    Thanks for all your help.
    Sorry for the delayed reply mkennedy.

I don't want to discourage anyone from getting a DWPS. But I would say that the 2 weakest points of the DWPS (in MY opinion) are the tuning range and projection. There are several here that have them and love them, and would probably disagree with that statement. The feel/response and tone were great. But after a year of owning them, they just were not what I was looking for.

The closest I did of an actual side by side with a Collectors kit was at a local GC where I placed a 16" FT of each side by side. The DWPS had the signature DW growl. The DWPS was actually slightly brighter in tone, but I believe that was due to the DWPS having a brand new head where the Collector FT having on older one (store model that had been in inventory a while).
    Gretsch Renown RN1 ~ Silver Oyster Pearl

User Info Menu

I love the DWPS kit I ordered about two weeks ago. It took awhile for it to be just right. In addition to the initial kit (14 snare, 10 12 14 toms, 22 bass), I also ordered an 8" tom. 8" tom and the bass were both badly out of round, but I had both replaced in less than a week. Last week I ordered a 16" floor tom (it's a beast), and now the kit is what I consider complete, and I love it. I was playing a PDP kit previously, and there's really no comparison between the two.

As far as tuning goes, I've found that the rack toms have a few sweet spots, up high and lower. For recording, I find myself tuning a bit lower. I can't speak to the projection of the kit, I haven't had it outside of my drum room yet.

DW Performance
    Zildjian Cymbals
    Gibraltar Hardware

User Info Menu

cg2112
    Very nice! I love my performance kit. How about a pic from the front? What finish did you decide on? Hard to tell from your picture.

User Info Menu

Hi, this is my first post here and was wondering if I could draw on some of your collective wisdom and experience.

I'm looking at buying a kit for my lady, I've found a Used DW Collectors series I'm interested in.

It includes the following: It's a 4 piece, with the DW Tom Stand included, in the following sizes,

18x22 Bass
    10” Tom
    12” Tom
    18” Floor tom

The set is wrapped with a set of SicSkinz drum wraps in a blue retro plaid pattern. Under this wrap they are the following color: Ultra White Marie.

I am a novice and so my knowledge is limited, however, as I understand it, there are odd sizes here. Is the 18” Floor Tom an odd tom size there? What about the rest of the set?

Was just wondering what differences I should expect from this size combination as opposed to a combination that could be considered standard. Also, with it being a custom made kit, what application or style do you think these sizes would have been designed for or best suited too?

It is a local musician who apparently has 4 sets. He needs to get rid of one and so he put it up for sale in a local music shop. He had it listed for 2000.00, then it went down to 1800.00. I went in and offered 1500.00 cash and he accepted.

In addition to the above question I was wondering what y'all think of the price?

Any and all help with this would be greatly appreciated.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Xeno View Post
    Very nice! I love my performance kit. How about a pic from the front? What finish did you decide on? Hard to tell from your picture.
    I got the Pewter Sparkle. Saved me a little money (the wrapped kits are a little cheaper), and I liked it a lot.

DW Performance
    Zildjian Cymbals
    Gibraltar Hardware

User Info Menu

Very nice choices in drums and cymbals. Looks like a ton of fun!!
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David Marquis View Post
    Hi, this is my first post here and was wondering if I could draw on some of your collective wisdom and experience.
    Welcome to DC!

18x22 Bass
    10” Tom
    12” Tom
    18” Floor tom
    I am a novice and so my knowledge is limited, however, as I understand it, there are odd sizes here. Is the 18” Floor Tom an odd tom size there? What about the rest of the set?
    Seems like standard sizes to me although you don't list the depths. Great sizes for rock or metal but those DW's tune up or down nicely depending on what style of music she's into.

The set is wrapped with a set of SicSkinz drum wraps in a blue retro plaid pattern. Under this wrap they are the following color: Ultra White Marine.
    Is the original wrap damaged at all? That White Marine is a beautiful, classic finish. If it were me I would remove the blue plaid () wrap to reveal the original wrap. But that's just me.

$1500 for a Collector's kit is a pretty good deal IMO. Are they in decent condition?
    Good luck and post pics if ya get them!

edit: OMG...I just looked at Sic*Skinz blue plaid wrap.. Umm..yeah. Rip that sh*t off!
    Last edited by Xeno; 10-08-2013 at 09:22 PM.

User Info Menu

As I understand it, the DW Finish Ply (wrap) is applied in such a way as to be absolutely permanent, just like a wood veneer. My Collector's set is a Finish Ply, too (but I don't have it yet). Unless the finish got damaged, as Xeno asked, I'd rip off the 'over wrap' and clean up the original finish ply. Just my $0.02. Good luck and congratulations on some cool drums!

Oh, yeah, pitchers pwease
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cg2112 View Post
    I got the Pewter Sparkle. Saved me a little money (the wrapped kits are a little cheaper), and I liked it a lot.
    Gorgeous kit and nice setup. I need to get mine back in the rack. Seems like I spend more time tweaking the setup than I do playing..

User Info Menu

I'm in touch with that! Since I don't have my drum kit yet, all I can do is tweak the rack and the cymbals. LOL
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

Pulled the trigger today and ordered my Performance kit. VERY excited!!! 8/10/12/16 toms with 22 kick. White Marine FinishPly. Wait is expected to be 8-12 weeks. Hopefully I have it in time to place it a piece of it beneath the Christmas tree.
    This all started when I was intrigued by the Design series. I've always been a fan of DW drums but couldn't even afford to look at a DW kit, much less buy one. I knew the Performance drums came along a few years ago but I wasn't much interested because they were coming out of Mexico at the time and I was thinking they were glorified PDPs(just my opinion). So the Design series brought my focus back around to DW. The Price point is certainly attractive but they are still very new and very much an unknown. Being made overseas is a concern. As much as John Good might spin it I still can't consider the Designs to be 'full fledged' DW's. Then I learned that the Performance series were now being manufactured in Oxnard. My line of thinking was this...they are supposedly made of the same lumber and now they are made in the same factory. The only exception is I don't have any say in plies and the finishes are limited. Sounds like a great fit for your average semi-pro drummer.
    Next I did a ton of research. Everywhere I turned I found glowing reviews on the DWPS. Supposedly the toms flat out sing and the bass is a downright beast. BINGO! Exactly what I was looking for. My current kit is a '57 Renown Motor City Onyx. Love them! Great drums but they are a different beast. They have a certain vintage 'mellowness' to them. I'm thinking the DW's will give me different, more modern option.
    As for the finish...I was hesitant to consider a wrap but based on the opinions of you guys and other research I've done I feel confident ordering a FinishPly kit. The available lacquer finishes weren't grabbing me and the White Marine is a true classic.
    So, as you can probably tell, the next 8-12 weeks are going to be painstakingly slow. This is my first high-end drum purchase(bought the Renowns for <$1000) and I plan on this being in my arsenal for the long term!
    Kits

Snares

Cymbals
    Sabian
    14" AA regular hats
    10" AAX splash
    16" HH thin crash
    20" HHX stage ride

User Info Menu

Pulled the trigger today and ordered my Performance kit. VERY excited!!! 8/10/12/16 toms with 22 kick. White Marine FinishPly. Wait is expected to be 8-12 weeks. Hopefully I have it in time to place it a piece of it beneath the Christmas tree.
    This all started when I was intrigued by the Design series. I've always been a fan of DW drums but couldn't even afford to look at a DW kit, much less buy one. I knew the Performance drums came along a few years ago but I wasn't much interested because they were coming out of Mexico at the time and I was thinking they were glorified PDPs(just my opinion). So the Design series brought my focus back around to DW. The Price point is certainly attractive but they are still very new and very much an unknown. Being made overseas is a concern. As much as John Good might spin it I still can't consider the Designs to be 'full fledged' DW's. Then I learned that the Performance series were now being manufactured in Oxnard. My line of thinking was this...they are supposedly made of the same lumber and now they are made in the same factory. The only exception is I don't have any say in plies and the finishes are limited. Sounds like a great fit for your average semi-pro drummer.
    Next I did a ton of research. Everywhere I turned I found glowing reviews on the DWPS. Supposedly the toms flat out sing and the bass is a downright beast. BINGO! Exactly what I was looking for. My current kit is a '57 Renown Motor City Onyx. Love them! Great drums but they are a different beast. They have a certain vintage 'mellowness' to them. I'm thinking the DW's will give me different, more modern option.
    As for the finish...I was hesitant to consider a wrap but based on the opinions of you guys and other research I've done I feel confident ordering a FinishPly kit. The available lacquer finishes weren't grabbing me and the White Marine is a true classic.
    So, as you can probably tell, the next 8-12 weeks are going to be painstakingly slow. This is my first high-end drum purchase(bought the Renowns for <$1000) and I plan on this being in my arsenal for the long term!
    Congrats bud thats awesome, Love that color..8-12 weeks is nothing : )
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

^^^ Agree--8-12 weeks is not a bad wait and well worth the investment and joy for years to come (for us time may fly--for you yes, you'll be counting the seconds, but coming here to visit, and reading up everything you can, readying the new drum "location" at the house, etc., will help pass the time!)
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)

User Info Menu

I was 'this' close to going with the Performance Series myself. The ONLY reason I didn't is because my dealer gave a screaming deal on a Collector's set they'd had in their shop for awhile. Can't wait to see 'em!!!
    Last edited by cabasner; 10-10-2013 at 07:12 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Collectors Kit on the Way!

Well, I didn't think I'd see this day for quite awhile, so to say I'm jacked would be understatement! Some of you may know that recently (as posted in the hardware section) I received my DW Rack and Zildjian cymbals, but I'd also mentioned with sadness that there was, as yet, no room for the actual drum kit to go along. The original plan was to clean out an extra room on our garage to put the drums into, but that hasn't happened, and my wife let me set up the rack in the main room in the house. My intent was to just check everything out, and then tear the rack down until we had the garage room ready to go. But my wife has let me keep the rack set up. And, this morning, my darling wife relented, and said I could get my drums! Waahoo!! Cool wife!! So, finally, I'll be getting my Collectors Broken Glass Finish Ply kit, an 18x20 bass, 8x10 and 9x12 rack toms, and a 14x16 floor tom! I also have a 12x14 floor tom on order, which which be coming within a month or two. I'm hoping for a Thursday arrival, but if they come on Friday, that will be fine, too. It's gonna be a long week
    Last edited by cabasner; 10-13-2013 at 04:41 PM.

User Info Menu

My DW Seafoam monster. Hidden behind the left and right rides lies both 26" and 18" bass drums, in addition to the main kicks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dphdiver View Post
    My DW Seafoam monster. Hidden behind the left and right rides lies both 26" and 18" bass drums, in addition to the main kicks.

HOLY CRAP!!
    Tama Rockstar & Paiste User and Abuser......

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kickinit View Post
    But I would say that the 2 weakest points of the DWPS (in MY opinion) are the tuning range and projection.
    I'm surprised about projection being an issue. I recently got a DWPS kit. My other kit is a set of Mapex Saturns. My wife walks around our neighborhood for exercise. I'm always asking her if she can hear me playing outside the house because I'm paranoid about annoying the neighbors. She always told me that she can hear them just a little bit as she gets right in front of our house. The day I got the DWPS kit she came home and asked if I was playing with all the windows open. I said, "no, why?" She said she could hear me pretty clearly from down the street.
    Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they don't get it wrong.

User Info Menu

Just got my performance series kit in down beat sizes,
    And I have to say, these drums are awesome!!
    Very nice drums, and these aren't even the top
    Dog Ddubs!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_d View Post
    I'm surprised about projection being an issue. I recently got a DWPS kit. My other kit is a set of Mapex Saturns. My wife walks around our neighborhood for exercise. I'm always asking her if she can hear me playing outside the house because I'm paranoid about annoying the neighbors. She always told me that she can hear them just a little bit as she gets right in front of our house. The day I got the DWPS kit she came home and asked if I was playing with all the windows open. I said, "no, why?" She said she could hear me pretty clearly from down the street.
    Taht's necause it is a DW. My mapex pro M can suck it compared to my DW Jazz series.
    DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth, Remo
    http://www.reverbnation.com/jonpnorris