Page 109 of 118 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109110111 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,725 of 2948

Thread: DW Drums Discussion

User Info Menu

Default Re: DW Drums Discussion

Update: I replaced the factory heads on the toms with clear G2s, and I love the sound I'm getting! They tuned up easily, without gels or any other kind of muffling. I also replaced the reso head on the kick with a black Evans because I wanted a mic hole.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

well my 1st impression with the new stock heads I ordered is not good. I cannot get these drums to stop ringing afterwards unless it is so loose that all attack is gone and it sounds like a wetnap. I put the 16 vintage emp. back on the 16 and it sounds much much better. The bd sounds horrible as well, I have the 2 stock pillows and 2 new DW stock heads with no hole and ughh horrible no matter what I do to tuning. I guess I need to port it and try removing some pillows but I suspect the expensive DW stock batter head I put on is a big part of the problem as well. The 13" sounds ok with the stock batter but still a lil ringy plus I had to put it on a snare stand and now need to remove the tom holder because I think it is too big to put on a tom arm with a 24" BD and it would not get tight eough on the pearl arm holder so probably need a dw if I want to rack it. Damn I hate the fact it is going to cost me more money to find out how much I like em. This is my 2nd attempt at these sizes and I am starting to think it is just not for me. 20170421_155118.jpg
    20170421_155407.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MDK; 05-02-2017 at 07:52 PM.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Try setting up in a bigger room or outside? Maybe the ringiness will go away or at least not be a pain in your ears. I muffle all my kits like a crazy person when I'm in a small practice room but playing out in a large venue I go muffleless!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Clear Vintage Emperors over Ambassadors for toms/FT's. Emad II and the stock reso on the kick. I've tried an agonizing minutia of heads with my Dubs over the years and this is the combo that works best for me. Also, DW's tune low. It's kinda their thing. Tune the reso heads to the note inside and then tune the batter to anywhere from a minor 5th to a major 5th. I tune my batters to a minor 3rd which works great with the two ply head. DW tunes the batter to a major 5th to create what they term a "classic pitch bend". This is where the stock batter heads sing.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SunDog View Post
    Clear Vintage Emperors over Ambassadors for toms/FT's. Emad II and the stock reso on the kick. I've tried an agonizing minutia of heads with my Dubs over the years and this is the combo that works best for me. Also, DW's tune low. It's kinda their thing. Tune the reso heads to the note inside and then tune the batter to anywhere from a minor 5th to a major 5th. I tune my batters to a minor 3rd which works great with the two ply head. DW tunes the batter to a major 5th to create what they term a "classic pitch bend". This is where the stock batter heads sing.
    Thanks but tuning to a note is Wayyyyyy over my head. I put a Vintage emperor back on the ft and it sounds great. you are right though they like to be tuned very low. The 13 sounds good with the stock head but I pretty much wasted money on the 16.. The bass drum is still a work in progress. I am going to port the stock reso today but I think the stock clear/coated batter is probably not going to work out.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Thanks but tuning to a note is Wayyyyyy over my head. I put a Vintage emperor back on the ft and it sounds great. you are right though they like to be tuned very low. The 13 sounds good with the stock head but I pretty much wasted money on the 16.. The bass drum is still a work in progress. I am going to port the stock reso today but I think the stock clear/coated batter is probably not going to work out.
    LOL! If I can do it you can. It's a bit of a science sure, but it's not some mystical dark art ��. Just buy one of those clip on tuners. They cost around $8-$10. Start by tuning the reso to what you want the drum sound like. Do this with the batter off. Then clip the tuner to the reso rim and bring the head too the note stamped inside. The clip on tuner won't let you tune 3rd's or 5th's on the batter but at this point you can just tune it by ear. Try it out. It's a really good tuning method and you'll get it. Just takes a little practice. BTW the kit looks great set up. That color is too cool.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

I got her dialed in and man she is really thumping, huge full sound I love. I went with the Vintage emp. over stock on ft and now have a very nice almost eq'd deep note that I really love. Easily the best FT I have ever owned. The 13 is dialed in nicely with all stock heads and as long as I can live with different heads on those 2 drums it will stay. I may try a coated emp. someday but really the stock head sounds awesome, I have always loved 13" toms. Now I just need to decide if I am gonna mount it from a cymbal stand or use a snare/tom holder. The bass with loose tension on the batter and one pillow removed sounds very very nice, my wife came down and asked me what I did because it sounds so much better upstairs, but I am still going to port the reso head today.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

WOW porting it and putting a kickport in made a world of difference. She is thumping now. WOOHOO. Still playing with the set up and think I am going to get a DW9999 cymbal/rack tom stand rather than use the snare stand. Why are my pics posting 90 degrees out?
    20170502_201445.jpg
    20170502_201433.jpg
    20170502_201330.jpg
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth, Remo
    http://www.reverbnation.com/jonpnorris

User Info Menu

Beautiful kits! Almost exactly the same as MDK's
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Mine is 12, 14, 20. the mini version of MDK's kit

User Info Menu

Very Nice Jazzkat you have great taste in color : ) What stand is holding your rack tom the DW9999? I am thinking of getting one. Looks pretty solid. Also what model and size snare is that?
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

Tama stagemaster?
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Picked up my new Performance set yesterday, hopefully the pictures will work. The pictures really don't do just to the overall finish. I had to delete the pictures, for some reason it showed my entire photobucket album.
    Last edited by mliebs; 05-13-2017 at 07:11 AM. Reason: Attachment showed my entire photobucket album

User Info Menu

Very Nice Jazzkat you have great taste in color : ) What stand is holding your rack tom the DW9999? I am thinking of getting one. Looks pretty solid. Also what model and size snare is that?
    thanks
    The stand is an old Tama cymbal stand i got with my Rockstar Custom kit back in...'99? its kind of falling apart, but the DW bracket just clamps onto the stand no problem

the snare is a DW Collectors Maple VLT with Twisted Rainbow outer veneer. 5" or 5.5" x14

User Info Menu

@jazzcat

That is one amazing set up there. I have almost the exact arrangement. Ride, crash and hats. Beautiful drums

all the best...

User Info Menu

Hi all! Beautiful DWs in this thread! I'm new to the forum, so I thought I'd post mine. I've had it for about a year and a half now. I had seen it on local online classifieds including four cymbal stands and a double tom stand, but without a snare drum, cymbals, hi-hat and snare stands. At the same time, another seller on the same site was selling his Tama Brian Frasier-Moore bubinga snare... I bought that one first and then bought the kit two days later. I had been borrowing a Gretch Catalina Maple kit and had already started replacing the cymbals in preparation to get my own. It all worked out quite well.

My Ruby Glass DW Collectors were made in 2006 except for the 10" tom that was ordered in 2008 to match. The sizes are 10", 12", 15" and 22". There was also a 24" kick that matched but I found the 22" sounded better to me. At one time there was also an 18" floor tom and a matching snare, which were apparently sold long before I came along. I tried to get more info from the seller on how I could find the floor tom but to no avail. My kit spent the vast majority of it's life in a recording studio and I bet it was configured shell-wise in different ways for different recordings...that's just speculation on my part but would seem to make sense. Normally I'm a wood grain and chrome type of guy but this kit was too well priced to pass up. The different look has grown on me now and the sound of both the kit and the Tama snare are amazing (once I replaced all the heads). Like many, I was concerned that the finish ply would affect the tone or sustain in a negative way. It turns out to be a non-issue. It's just the type of tone I was after!

Here's a top down view of the way I used to have them set up, hanging the two toms off the cymbal stands and not using the double tom stand. I wanted to get the ride cymbal over the kick drum and more in front of me, so you can see above how I'm doing it now.

Finally the Brian Frasier-Moore:

User Info Menu

Beautiful kit. Too bad the rest was sold. But still, really nice. Love the color.
    1976 Tama Imperialstar Saturn 12+1 Platina6,8,10,12,13,14,15,16 concert toms, 16, 18 floor toms, 2-22x18 Bass drums.
    1971 5x14 Ludwig acrolite snare
    Tama metalworks snare 13x6
    DW collectors Maple Blue Glass7x8, 8x10, 9x12 rack toms, 11x14, 13x16 hanging toms, 18x23 bass, 8 and 12 timbale toms, 5.5x10 Ten and Six All Maple snare, 5.5x14 Supersolid snare, DW 9000 rack system, DW 5002 Double bass pedal, DW 5000 Hi-Hat stand, DW 9000 Snare stand.
    Sabian Xs20 cymbals: 16 & 18 crash, 20 ride, 14 hats, 8 splash, 18 china.
    Zildjian cymbals: 21 ride, 15 hats. All '70's era.

User Info Menu

Gorgeous kit, that red is nice. I love my 24" kick but am also thinking a 22 would be easier to gig out and will sound pretty close.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

I wanted to share this cool pic of my Natural Satin Oil Maple kit that I took for the ad. Since I bought the other Collectors kit and the Performance kit, I was stretched for space, so because this one it is the largest of the three with the cases and everything, it has to go.
    00Masterkit.jpg
    Cut it large and kick it into place!

User Info Menu

That is awesome! But I don't have a good way of hauling cases that big anymore. But I love the setup.

User Info Menu

MDK, I finally had a chance to get caught up on your posts for your DW kit and it looks fantastic! I'm glad you worked out the tuning issues. I had to flip your pics around to get a good look.

User Info Menu

I'd like to share some pics of the Collectors as of late. Took off the stock heads and have been recording with Evans Blue Hydraulics in my buddy's home studio. These heads were intended to be used for another kit but I decided to experiment with them on the Collectors while it was mic'd up and we were surprised on how good the heads sound. I had used hydraulics back in the mid '80's and blew them off as being too "thuddy" but looking back, I never had recording equipment to do any comparisons until now.

Last edited by late8; 08-14-2017 at 09:34 AM.

User Info Menu

Thanks Late I need to figure out how to rotate the pics? Not sure why it is uploading like that? Your kit looks gorgeous BTW, love the new rack set up, it looks much cleaner.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

Thanks Late I need to figure out how to rotate the pics? Not sure why it is uploading like that? Your kit looks gorgeous BTW, love the new rack set up, it looks much cleaner.
    Thanks MDK. BTW...The shield on your bass drum reso is classy but the matching green glitter Kickport is dope!