Page 10 of 61 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread: Yamaha Drums discussion

User Info Menu

Default Re: Yamaha Drums discussion

[QUOTE=Lesizmor;232025]i'm going out on a limb with this shot on a Yamaha thread...

QUOTE]

Yes - very nice Les.............and with 2,700+ posts you're probably allowed to Post that very nice Pearl kit here..........I would hope so
    Gary

User Info Menu

one thing i notice is the bass tom mount doesnt lay completely flat like it did on the exports, maybe companies are starting to move forward with hardware designs and at least begin to understand the importance of isolation when dealing with the different styles of tom mounting
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    one thing i notice is the bass tom mount doesnt lay completely flat like it did on the exports, maybe companies are starting to move forward with hardware designs and at least begin to understand the importance of isolation when dealing with the different styles of tom mounting
    Good eye Russ...It's a bridge style mount. The lugs are minimal contact as well.

Sorry Yamaha peeps..I am moving along now..

-Les

User Info Menu

i dont really like Yahamaha sets, they make other instruments, i prefer compinaies like Pearl that only make drums stuff
    Pearl Vision VX jet black
    Aquarian heads (Focus-X, Performance IIs, Super Kick II)
    Pearl Free Floating Maple Snare
    Vic-Firth 5B
    Pearl Eliminators
    Roc N Soc throne

14" Paiste Signature sound edge hi-hats
    16" Paiste Signature full crash
    18" Paiste Signature full crash
    20" Zildjian K custom dark ride
    20" Paiste RUDE china

In bands: Frame of Mind, and Become The Catalyst

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Frame-...7982037?ref=ts

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SEAN8293 View Post
    i dont really like Yahamaha sets, they make other instruments, i prefer compinaies like Pearl that only make drums stuff
    FYI Pearl also makes flutes and for a veerrry short period in the 70's..Guitars!

Yamaha is making some of the best drum shells and hardware pieces on the planet IMO.

-Les

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lesizmor View Post
    Yamaha is making some of the best drum shells and hardware pieces on the planet IMO.

-Les
    I second that !
    Gary

User Info Menu

I own their Flying Dragon FP9310 single kick pedal and it's probably the best I have owned!

-Les

User Info Menu

How about go to the pearl thread to discuss pearl !!
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

Hey buster!

I was singing the praises of Yamaha equipment here as well!
    I love my Flying Dragon pedal!

Sooo...

-Les

User Info Menu

my friend has a yamaha guitar he bought like 2 years ago, i think it might be a bass
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

my friend has a yamaha guitar he bought like 2 years ago, i think it might be a bass

okay....................
    Gary

User Info Menu

hmmm .. ()...I know I was posting junk about my Pearl kit here, but they are drums...and I own a Yamaha pedal..
    Welcome to GuitarChat!
    I promise not to post stuff about my Pearl drums here, if you cease the guitar, or bass or..?? banter. Agreed??

-Les

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SEAN8293 View Post
    I'm not a brand loyal guy and like many different brands. Now with that said ,after owning 2 yamaha sets I can tell you they are Top Shelf in everyway they sound as good or better than any they have slick as glass finishes their hardware it first rate and their resale value is higher than most ! Just wanted to share my view on Yamaha's fine drums !!
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

okay, no more talking about the guitar my friend has which is a yamaha which is good. woot woot
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I have a Yamaha hollow body electric from 1968.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

they were making them back then?
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Pearl is lame. Yamaha is way better. Who cares if Yamaha also make mixers, guitars, outboard motors, motorcycles - that just illustrates that their engineering dept is the best.
    I'd like to see a motorcyle made by Pearl or Ludwig- that thing would be a piece of cr@p ha ha :P

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brutal juice View Post
    Pearl is lame. Yamaha is way better. Who cares if Yamaha also make mixers, guitars, outboard motors, motorcycles - that just illustrates that their engineering dept is the best.
    I'd like to see a motorcyle made by Pearl or Ludwig- that thing would be a piece of cr@p ha ha :P
    I would take a Yamaha Maple Absolute over a Pearl Masters any day.
    Matt

User Info Menu

I'll bring this thread back to life. So far I'm loving the Tour Customs. With G2 coateds on they have a really sweet sound. They have a much warmer and controlled sound than the big old Tamas. Very easy to tune as well. Another plus is they are so much lighter than my Tamas. Should be much easier to transport. While the hardware isn't as heavy duty as the old Tamas or new, it stills of solid quality, particularly the tom mount.

The snare is still a work in progress. I have a Genera Dry on since I didn't like the stock. Still not loving the sound, so have to possibly change heads maybe back to stock and just tune differently. I'm open to any suggestions?
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

I have a yamaha stage custom in a maple finish.I have played tama for 24 years before that but the yamaha is alot better.Granted the tama was pretty well wore out.My first motorcycle was a yamaha also a kick butt little 500 but that had nothing to do with my purchase in fact i just now made the connection.

User Info Menu

Tried to post yesterday dont what happened .I have a Yamaha stage custom in the maple finish, and i love the sound and the look of it.I have had alot of compliments on it. I played tama for about 24 years and i really liked them too, but they dont stack up against these!

User Info Menu

I would say my Tamas stack up, in fact are higher quality in terms of hardware, but the sound is very different. What Tamas have you owned? My 87 Crestars are pretty top of the line, I was just looking for a mellower, quieter, warmer sound and with the Coated G2's I've definitely found that.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

Ok no diss on my old tamas ,the hardware on the toms always broke the tom mounts were made of very cheap pot metal but these were old time swingstar and imperial star drums very big and very heavy i liked them alot but i just think the yamahas are betterTo be fair i havent played the new tamas i cant afford to buy new all the time.Wasnt looking to get into a debate about what was best just stating my view of the new yamahas, also i still have a tama boom stand from 1980 on my slingerland practice kit so that says alot . peace

User Info Menu

Wasn't starting a debate just commenting now that I have both. Like I said, my old Tamas are high end so the hardware was very solid. They were the only drums I've had until I recently got the Yamahas.

I also think the Yamahas are great. The sound great, and they are light which is a welcome change for me in terms of transporting them. My only complaint is that some of the hardware isn't that high quality, but otherwise I'm very happy.

If you haven't looked at them, newer Tamas have excellent hardware, especially the Superstar series and up. Very solid compared to similarly priced sets from other brands.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

I think Yamaha makes some of the highest quality hardware available. Because they have the motorcycle/snowmobile/atv lines they are able to use some of the top engineers in the world to design their hardware. With the DW kit I gig with I use most of the hardware from my old Yamaha set pictured below. It's light, easy to use, and 100% functional after probably several 1000 times of being taken down, moved, and set back up and its almost 30 years old. Not bad for something that's older than I am. Honestly, I would put it up against anything made today.

Here's my first kit ever. A 1982 Yamaha 7000 series. Standard 80's config of 12,13,14,16,22 pic is circa '97 btw

Last edited by Exotic Matter; 10-29-2009 at 12:26 AM.