Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Default Re: Yamaha Drums discussion

haha, thanks. I used to adore the crap out of that kit. I still play it but I haven't given her a good wax and buff in probably ten years. hmmm... come to think of it I should probably do that. That chrome wrap shows EVERYTHING! It's also extremely soft and easy to dent.

User Info Menu

I know they are lower level kits but what can you boys tell me about the Yd series. Mahogany I think they are.

A chap here is selling some in nice shape for 200.

I'm jsur startin out and wanna upgrade a little from a Dixon I bought originally for my son

User Info Menu

are they Rydeen's? almost got one at a shop one time, but passed it up for a sonor 2005. i dont know much about em but mahogany is a pretty cool wood.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Not sure but I think the YD was a predecessor to the Rydeen

info I gatherered leads one to belive the YD may have been better than Rydeen

User Info Menu

Anyone have any thoughts on the Musashi 6x13? As of right now I have the Tour Custom snare that came with the kit sounding good, but still not in love with the sound. Considering a 6x13, and the Musashi (along with Artwood and BP) is on my list.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Haven't posted here in a while...been busy slowly building my 2nd hexrack...this one for one of my acoustic kit(s)....pictured here is my progress thus far....MCAN in ASF

Last edited by scorch whammin; 01-15-2010 at 09:22 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    Anyone have any thoughts on the Musashi 6x13? As of right now I have the Tour Custom snare that came with the kit sounding good, but still not in love with the sound. Considering a 6x13, and the Musashi (along with Artwood and BP) is on my list.
    i used to own this snare, lemme just say it had a satisfying loud and bright tone to it.. if you are looking for something that will be heard over most everything else in your band, this may be for you i think. just be prepared for it's true awesomeness!
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Question Re: Yamaha Drums discussion

Hey Yamaha lovers, I come in peace.

I been asked to price up a semi-pro level kit for my church and have got a couple of good offers, one of which being a Yamaha Maple Custom 4 piece. Good kit? Long lasting? Any helpful words welcome...

Cheers,

BWB
    ~BWB~

~Sabian - Mapex - Pro-Mark~

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BallywalterBeats View Post
    Hey Yamaha lovers, I come in peace.

I been asked to price up a semi-pro level kit for my church and have got a couple of good offers, one of which being a Yamaha Maple Custom 4 piece. Good kit? Long lasting? Any helpful words welcome...

Cheers,

BWB
    Maple Custom is a top level kit...very good sounding and built to last...

User Info Menu

Nice, thanks scorch!
    ~BWB~

~Sabian - Mapex - Pro-Mark~

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Yamaha Drums discussion

Black yamaha DP series 5 piece with natural stage custom snare. Heads are the aquarian pinstripes and evans dry snare batter. Set is lower end but sounds great.
    Yamaha Stage Custom
    prov. 3:5-6

User Info Menu

I'm a Yamaha devotee myelf my kit is the Maple Custom absolute 5 piece. The rack tom is 12X10 , 14X14 and 16X16 floors, 22X16 bass. The rack is on a separate stand not on the bass. Owing to money the kit was put together over a ten year period so the rack and the Bass are the old absolutes in plum maple. The floors are the newer models that now come with the cast hoops (does Yamaha still make Dyna hoops?). They're the antique black that come from the factory looking like dung brown but cook out to an awsome matte black that really shows the wood grain. I special ordered them with the old absolute lugs so they match the older drums. What I like about this kit is that you don't have to pound the hell out of it to get that good boom. For now everything is Evans clear two ply batters, genera resonants. What I don't like about Yamaha is they are one of the most expensive brands going.

Ralph

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Knapp View Post
    I'm a Yamaha devotee myelf my kit is the Maple Custom absolute 5 piece. The rack tom is 12X10 , 14X14 and 16X16 floors, 22X16 bass. The rack is on a separate stand not on the bass. Owing to money the kit was put together over a ten year period so the rack and the Bass are the old absolutes in plum maple. The floors are the newer models that now come with the cast hoops (does Yamaha still make Dyna hoops?). They're the antique black that come from the factory looking like dung brown but cook out to an awsome matte black that really shows the wood grain. I special ordered them with the old absolute lugs so they match the older drums. What I like about this kit is that you don't have to pound the hell out of it to get that good boom. For now everything is Evans clear two ply batters, genera resonants. What I don't like about Yamaha is they are one of the most expensive brands going.

Ralph
    Yes...Yamaha still make the dyna hoops...and I'd have to respectfully disagree with you on the price issue....if you compare Yamaha's top of the line kits with other brands top kits..I think you'd see that all of them are pretty close price-wise to one another.......BTW..got any pics of your kit...if so post them so we can see

User Info Menu

yeh lets see em knappy

Just gotta say the floor at my fave drum shop in the city is level!!

I had drool coming out both sides of my mouth when I tapped on the new phoenix set, man it has a heavy discount too, 5 peice kit,2 up 2 down, glorious finish all for $6600.00 plus taxes. man its a beaut.
    thinking of sellin the bike and a trade on the ekit would pretty much land me this baby!!! yikes. [and maybe a split with the woman]

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

I have found a Yamaha Stage Custom 5 peice drum kit for $400. This drum kit is in almost mint condition with 2 sets of spare skins and some sticks. I was wondering if this would be a good buy and what the quality of the drums are.....If anyone can help that woould be great.

Cheers
    D95...

User Info Menu

I recently bought a new Tour Custom set, Maple but probably similar hardware. I can say they are great drums. The lightweight rims and hardware made me a little nervous after having really heavy duty Tama's for a long time.

The Tour Customs have a really nice pure tone, are easy to tune, etc... If they are any indication, then $400 for all birch Stage Customs is definitely worth it.

Good luck and post pics if you get them.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drummer95 View Post
    I have found a Yamaha Stage Custom 5 peice drum kit for $400. This drum kit is in almost mint condition with 2 sets of spare skins and some sticks. I was wondering if this would be a good buy and what the quality of the drums are.....If anyone can help that woould be great.

Cheers
    D95...

Definitely a good deal if they are in good condition. New they are about $600.

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    I recently bought a new Tour Custom set, Maple but probably similar hardware. I can say they are great drums. The lightweight rims and hardware made me a little nervous after having really heavy duty Tama's for a long time.

The Tour Customs have a really nice pure tone, are easy to tune, etc... If they are any indication, then $400 for all birch Stage Customs is definitely worth it.

Good luck and post pics if you get them.

+1. Kaos is right on with this.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    yeh lets see em knappy

Just gotta say the floor at my fave drum shop in the city is level!!

I had drool coming out both sides of my mouth when I tapped on the new phoenix set, man it has a heavy discount too, 5 peice kit,2 up 2 down, glorious finish all for $6600.00 plus taxes. man its a beaut.
    thinking of sellin the bike and a trade on the ekit would pretty much land me this baby!!! yikes. [and maybe a split with the woman]
    Yea...the PHX kits are the bomb!...and I would love to get one...and one day I probably will..but I would probably have to sell something (i.e., one of my other kits) to get it..:(...and I'm just not ready to do that just yet!

User Info Menu

New to the site and also I've owned a Yamaha Stage Custom kit now for 12 years now and even though they are "intro line" I love the sound I get from this kit. I've made several recordings with them and the engineers have always love the kit. About to buy a new kit and in a decision to buy either Maple Customs or a DW kit. In a toss up for now. As far as the hardware goes, by far the best hardware I've had on any kit. This is my 4th kit. I currently own three kits now. My first Ludwig kit made back in 77 and a Remo kit. I play my Yamaha kit more then the other two.

User Info Menu

Well last night I ran into a great deal and ended up doubling up my kit.
    Posted the pics on the forum Show Us your Drums! Post 6153
    Here's a quick image
    Toms are 10, 12, 13
    Floor 14 and 16
    22 and 20 Kicks
    Normally I do not play big huge drum kits, but have always wanted to have one to play around with.
    The great thing about having all these toms is the possibility of all the different type of setups I can have now.
    1. Great small jazz kit
    2. 3 Piece big Tom Power Kit
    3. 4 Piece Bonham Kit
    4. Standard Rock kit
    5. Big *** Moon Monster kit

David
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

man i envy you with that kit. its very nice... dang man that must have been a great deal. great kit.
    "it aint got no thing if it aint got that swing"

Yamaha Stage Custom Noveau
    10,12,14,20,14 (standard 2 up 1 down)
    Evans EC2 over Remo Ambassador Resos
    Evans Genera Dry over ambassador resos
    DW 5002 double bass pedal
    Sabian 14 inch AAX Xcelerator hats
    Sabian 14 inch HHX X-plosion crash
    Sabian 16 inch AAX studio crash
    Zildjian 17 inch Z custom crash
    Sabian 21 inch AA rock ride
    Zildjian 18 inch oriental china trash
    Agrazian 10 inch Splash

User Info Menu

Default Stage Custom Birch

I just ordered one of these..same finish and config (10, 12, 16, 17x22, 5.5x14)
    With 7oo series hardware. It came with a free 2 legged hex rack system!!
    Under 1k!!!

Pix next week! Any head recommendations. It's my first go at birch shells.
    Looking for a more open, but deep tone.

User Info Menu

Don't know if these pics showed up earlier (as I pasted them from another forum site and sometimes they don't show when you do that)...so I thought I would show again (but using drum chat pics)

I've been busy slowly building my 2nd hexrack...this one for one of my acoustic kit(s)....pictured here is my progress thus far....MCAN in ASF

User Info Menu

beautiful. What does that sub kick do?
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered