Page 58 of 61 FirstFirst ... 8485657585960 ... LastLast
Results 1,426 to 1,450 of 1518

Thread: Yamaha Drums discussion

User Info Menu

Default Re: Yamaha Drums discussion

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Awesome informative comparison of 6 yamaha model lines, they all sound fantastic. Yamaha and Sonor are my 2 favorite manufacturers.
    Really good video here. If anything it makes me want to buy a Stage Custom. Such an amazing kit for the price.

One thing I found interesting is what he saying about the boomerang effect with Yamaha players not knowing how good they have it. I grew up playing an old '81 Yamaha 7000 which I loved and still have in the family. I got caught up in the DW hype and went that direction for a good while but was never really satisfied with how the drums played. I stumbled across my first set of Absolutes at a second hand store for super cheap and fell back in love with Yamaha's and regret ever leaving.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gbkirsch View Post
    Hi Drumnhands, my question as I'm looking at a new gig kit, a Yamaha Stage Custom Birch 5 piece with 20 inch bass drum in natural finish. Will there be a weight savings over my 1969 Ludwig 5 piece set with 22 inch Bass and chrome snare? I'm also looking into lighter hardware etc. I need to save on weight for transporting and setting up and down for gigs without losing quality and sound quality??

My suggestion is to call Yamaha Drums Support @ 714-522-9000 and choose Option 3 ... and they should be able to give you the specific weight of each drum and the weight of the stands -- Their single braced stands is all Ive ever used since 1992 and no failures with any of the stands as I was using them while I was playing in numerous road bands and playing 6 nights per week, loading and unloading, setting up and tearing down.
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

The Varukers.

User Info Menu

wow those are big drums!!! I love it!!

Also love the Tama G Maple snare it looks like you're using?! One of my TOP favorites in my collection

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    wow those are big drums!!! I love it!!

Also love the Tama G Maple snare it looks like you're using?! One of my TOP favorites in my collection
    12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 22x16. Still an amazing kit & tunes perfectly with great definition. (Not that it matters with the pure racket we play )
    The G-Maple is a thing of beauty. Has replaced all of my other snare's now with only my Tama 14x6 Maple Starphonic making the odd appearance. Just love the G-Maple in every way
    The Varukers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kevaruka View Post
    12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 22x16. Still an amazing kit & tunes perfectly with great definition. (Not that it matters with the pure racket we play )
    The G-Maple is a thing of beauty. Has replaced all of my other snare's now with only my Tama 14x6 Maple Starphonic making the odd appearance. Just love the G-Maple in every way
    Great pics, Kevaruka! Stop, stop! I want that snare drum so bad! lol. Out of my 7 kits, I chose my Yammies for New Years Eve gig. The stage is wide and shallow so I'm cutting it down to a 4 pc. configuration. My Yammies never let me down on sound, that's for sure! The stage will hold me, 2 guitar players a multi keyboard player, and a bass player and a sax player. I made it easy on my self because I'm only playing 2 sets. DSC01815.jpgDSC01825.jpg Snare is a Ludwig Black Magic.
    Last edited by drummerMD; 10-21-2018 at 05:04 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    Great pics, Kevaruka! Stop, stop! I want that snare drum so bad! lol. Out of my 7 kits, I chose my Yammies for New Years Eve gig. The stage is wide and shallow so I'm cutting it down to a 4 pc. configuration. My Yammies never let me down on sound, that's for sure! The stage will hold me, 2 guitar players a multi keyboard player, and a bass player and a sax player. I made it easy on my self because I'm only playing 2 sets. DSC01815.jpgDSC01825.jpg Snare is a Ludwig Black Magic.
    Lovely finish on those Stage Custom's? I have 3 kits that I rotate depending on the situation. These RTC's are very special to me but don't see that much use. I have a set of 2005 RC's that are purely used for recording & a set of Premier Artist Maple's that tend to get the most use as my touring kit. Using the RTC's though this tour blew me away
    The Varukers.

User Info Menu

Yes, thank you! I did some tom mount modifications on it a while back. 1997 Stage customs and I added the 10X9 a week after I bought them. The same year the YESS mounts came in but the stage customs YESS mounts came later. I have the thinner shells so they really sing well!DSC01427.jpgDSC01430.jpg

User Info Menu

I like the idea behind that for sure.

User Info Menu

I like the idea behind that for sure.
    It was you, Zack that confirmed my decision to put fender washers on the inside of the shells for better stability! lol.

User Info Menu

This is an awesome set! I always like the big size and sound of these drums.

What are the individual drum sizes?

User Info Menu

Here’s my new little kit. Mid 80’s. I only took a couple of snapshots with the phone. Better pics will come when I get some��
    This is my fourth Recording kit that I owned. I have also owned two Birch Custom Absolute kits. One of those with a Maple Custom Absolute kickdrum. 848096A4-E646-41B1-88F3-7FCA4C7562B5.jpg8A52157B-7030-4DCE-A08A-B42E99988C43.jpg
    *Yamaha Recording Custom

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crowe-t View Post
    This is an awesome set! I always like the big size and sound of these drums.

What are the individual drum sizes?
    Me too

12x10
    13x11
    16x16
    22x16
    The Varukers.

User Info Menu

Trying out Gibraltar's "Stealth Racks"

fullsizeoutput_ebe by Kevin Frost, on Flickr
    fullsizeoutput_ec2 by Kevin Frost, on Flickr
    The Varukers.

User Info Menu

Trying out Gibraltar's "Stealth Racks"

fullsizeoutput_ebe by Kevin Frost, on Flickr
    fullsizeoutput_ec2 by Kevin Frost, on Flickr
    Slick set up.

User Info Menu

I was just pricing out the stealth rack for my Ddrum kit.
    Already tired of folding and placing stands....

User Info Menu

I was just pricing out the stealth rack for my Ddrum kit.
    Already tired of folding and placing stands....
    Still getting to grips with mine. Will try it with my tom mounted from the arm & also attach my cymbal to it
    The Varukers.

User Info Menu

Can't say as I necessarily see the value. Yes, you save a snare and two or three cymbal stands but need to set up all that pipage.
    I guess if you can't achieve the desired tom position with the bass mounting system already installed it would be a viable way to go. Is there a weight savings over the three/four stands?
    All the drums look fantastic. I would love to try some Yammies! Have never had the opportunity.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by noreastbob View Post
    Can't say as I necessarily see the value. Yes, you save a snare and two or three cymbal stands but need to set up all that pipage.
    I guess if you can't achieve the desired tom position with the bass mounting system already installed it would be a viable way to go. Is there a weight savings over the three/four stands?
    All the drums look fantastic. I would love to try some Yammies! Have never had the opportunity.
    With the rack once you install the cross bar to the legs that's it. The clamps stay on the pipe and you only have to tighten one clamp on each side DONE.
    All the cymbals will ALWAYS be in the same spot every time.
    The savings is space and time. No undoing all your legs and trying to place them in the same spots every time and adjusting heights and arms etc.
    I always struggle getting all my legs to fit around each other with my current setup. The rack would prevent this frustration.

For me.. once you go rack you never look back

Plus you can add a boom arm and clamp much cheaper than buying an entire new cymbal stand if you add more later.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by noreastbob View Post
    You bring up a good point. I've gigged with stands and a rack and both have their pros and cons. I still had to pack and haul the piping. The footings of the rack posed a problem for me. Tripods on cymbal stands can fold up but the footings on the rack were too wide to fit in my canvas bag and I didn't want to break them down so I had to throw them into loose into the trunk without any protection from dents and dings.

Last edited by late8; 02-28-2019 at 02:20 PM.

User Info Menu

I've done set-ups with 100% stands. I've done everything on the rack. I done combinations. I still don't have the answer to what is the best way to do this.
    Currently, I'm back to using 100% stands...........to each his own.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Wow Zack that is a very impressive kit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by myk View Post
    Wow Zack that is a very impressive kit.
    Thank you, she's my pride and joy

User Info Menu

Just picked up a 14x6.5 Stage Custom Steel to use for when we fly (Which is a lot) as I won't really worry about it. Put some 30 strand Puresound wires on it & tuned it up. 2 lugs wouldn't tune up properly so stripped both the heads off it (Supplied heads) then re assembled. All tuned up great & it actually sounds fantastic. Easily on par with my other snares for sound quality. For the price £108, this is one great snare
    I am planning on putting an Evans Heavy Duty batter on it but at the moment the supplied head is sounding great.

fullsizeoutput_ed1 by Kevin Frost, on Flickr
    The Varukers.