Page 1 of 52 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Yamaha Drums discussion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

Default Yamaha Drums discussion

i love yamaha drums and saw all the other drum threads and decieded to post one. i have raven black stage custom noveaus in 10 12 14 20 14 sizes and my 12 is set up as a floortom to have a crossover config.

Advertisement

Cool Drum Accessories
    "it aint got no thing if it aint got that swing"

Yamaha Stage Custom Noveau
    10,12,14,20,14 (standard 2 up 1 down)
    Evans EC2 over Remo Ambassador Resos
    Evans Genera Dry over ambassador resos
    DW 5002 double bass pedal
    Sabian 14 inch AAX Xcelerator hats
    Sabian 14 inch HHX X-plosion crash
    Sabian 16 inch AAX studio crash
    Zildjian 17 inch Z custom crash
    Sabian 21 inch AA rock ride
    Zildjian 18 inch oriental china trash
    Agrazian 10 inch Splash

User Info Menu

Default Re: Yamha drums discussion

Sweet. I've been on the Yamaha bus for 10 or so years. I have Recording Customs in Teal (10, 12, 14, 18) and Beech Customs in Blueberry (8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 20, 14sn). I also have an 18 year old 14x5 Dave Weckl Snare (the old ones still had the brass Maple Custom Lugs). I love that drum and play out with it every weekend. I'll bet the finish matches your kit Christiandrummer.

Sound aside, I've used hardware from every major manufacturer and the Yamaha stuff has outlasted the lot of them. I'm always trying to lighten my stand case and the Yamaha stuff makes for versatile setups. The 10 year old single chain pedal I've beat up and abused and not treated nicely over the years always performs without complaint.
    Last edited by Redeye; 01-01-2009 at 08:25 PM.

User Info Menu

ya i love the yamaha hardware i have 2 700 series boom and a 800 series boom their insanely stable and i love the 700 pedal. with the super adjustable cam. and i want the dave weckl snare so bad the dual strainer sounds awesome and the finish and lugs match my kit. my current snare is nice i get great volume control and sound out of it

Agrazian 10 inch Splash

User Info Menu

I've been playing Yamaha Tour Customs for a little over a year now. I have the 700 series hardware, which I chose because they're a lot lighter, and I gig this kit. But even though it's single braced hardware it's amazingly durable and easy to set up and break down. Until recently acquiring a Pearl Elminator hi hat stand, the Yamaha hi hat stand was my hands down favorite. I also use an FP 9315 dual chain pedal with my Mapex kit, and I love that pedal!
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Yamaha Drums discussion

sweet this thread is a sticky. yeah i do love the hi-hat it has good response for me when i play jazz and im tottaly jealous norske. the 9315 dual pedals rock

Agrazian 10 inch Splash

User Info Menu

Ahoy, gents! I 've had a first-generation Stage Custom in Raven Black since 1998, 10-12-14-16-22, and a Maple Custom Absolute first generation since 2001 in 10-12-14-22. My single stands are 800 series (second generation) and I cannot say enough god things about the WS903 triple tom stands.

User Info Menu

i play a yamaha at school for the jazz band but at home i play a pearl vision vsx but i play like classic rock the jazz at school is for somthing to do

User Info Menu

Christiandrummer - you will not regret a Weckl snare. A bit pricey, and bottom head changes suck, but well worth it. I've had mine for 18 years and I'm taking it out for a gig tonight. Also, no matter what quality level kit you have, the bass drum is going to sound great.

User Info Menu

cool. i also play a stage custom at school and although people havent taken great care of it it stil sounds good

Agrazian 10 inch Splash

User Info Menu

i hate yamah...only expensive models are worth the money

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olly View Post
    thanks for sharing

User Info Menu

not cool olly

Agrazian 10 inch Splash

User Info Menu

It's ok...He plays ZBT cymbals... I mean...Only expensive Zildjians are worth the money..

Yammies are the $hit. I play a stage custom advantage kit with sabian paragons and AA medium hats.

User Info Menu

lol i place zbts and a wuhan but im gona upgrade to k cutom high def ride a custom rezo crashes armand solash and k custom hybrid hat and china

Agrazian 10 inch Splash

User Info Menu

I was just wondering what Yamaha models do you hate and why so? I know that every model of drums might not be for everyone, but I would just like you to expand on your statement to know exactly what you don't like about Yamaha. This might help someone else who might be considering Yamaha drums.

Thanks,
    Dennis

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
    I was just wondering what Yamaha models do you hate and why so? I know that every model of drums might not be for everyone, but I would just like you to expand on your statement to know exactly what you don't like about Yamaha. This might help someone else who might be considering Yamaha drums.

Thanks,
    Dennis
    I agree! I hate blanket statements that don't hold any factual reasoning. It helps to know!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

HI - I'm a Yamaha fan and this is my first post in this forum.

I personally think all the Yamaha product lines sound better, are more robust in quality and are easier to tune than some of the more classic brands like Ludwig and Gretsch.
    An entry level kit from Yammy is a smart choice because its still better quality than the entry level kits from most other brands and you're not really paying extra to cover marketing like with the 'cool' brands.
    Also Yamaha is one of the few brands in Australia that offer complete flexibility in ordering different shell sizes and custom hardware etc.
    Even the cheapest Yammy kit - the GIGMAKER has great sounding basswood shells for the price.

User Info Menu

Evidently, you either havent owned a Yamaha kit or you have been given "bad" information by people who also havent owned a Yamaha kit. Yamaha does not produce a "bad sounding" kit. Even their entry level kits sound good...albeit not nearly as good as their upper echelon kits but with proper heads and proper tuning, Yamaha kits produce as good or better tone as any manufacturers drums. Their hardware is legendary for being "tough" and "road worthy". In 1992, I purchased one of their "Entry level" Power V Special kits ( 8 piece with twin 22" kicks, 10 - 12 - 14 - 15 rack toms and an 18 floor. I still gig with the kit and the hardware is still in good condition and I still use it for my road gigs.

So your statement that only their expensive models are worth the money is not quite accepted as being "chisled in stone"...at least in my honest opinion. Not to start a flaming war or anything...but when you make statements like that...you should be ready for comments that dispute your "findings" and "opinions".
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

Which ones would you be referring to...as far as both ends of their lines? Ive only had 3 Yamaha Kits... the first one is a 1992 "Made in England" PowerV Special 8 piece kit with twin 22" kicks (the steel snare never sounded good to me) but the rest of the kit still sounds spectacular and then there is my 6 piece Oak Customs. I did some session work on a 5 piece Yamaha Stage Custom (birch) and they sounded absolutely killer...so Im really curious what Yamaha kits you are talking about that you "hate"...and might I ask "Why you hate Yamaha "not expensive models" ?
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

User Info Menu

Now Ive just GOTTA know.."Which "Inexpensive" Yamaha Drum Kits do you "Hate" and "which ones do you "Not Hate" --- and more importantly--- Why for both questions???

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Wright View Post
    Now Ive just GOTTA know.."Which "Inexpensive" Yamaha Drum Kits do you "Hate" and "which ones do you "Not Hate" --- and more importantly--- Why for both questions???
    I love my inexpensive yammies and always will!DSC01558.jpgDSC01427.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Wright View Post
    I wouldn't sweat Olly's "hate . . . Yamaha" statement. I think it was just one of those "thinking out loud" kind of interjections that we all tend to make and then, upon further thought, wish we hadn't. I try to re-read all my posts several times before hitting that "Post Reply" icon. Many times I still think that I may have come across too harshly or said something that might be interpreted wrongly, so I have to go back in and edit my text. Still, even those precautions and I'll end up saying something that a few people take the wrong way. It's just the bane of trying to impersonally communicate with thousands of people while ruffling no feathers during the process.

GeeDeeEmm
    Last edited by gdmoore28; 09-25-2018 at 11:29 AM.

User Info Menu

i have had my yamaha stage custom advantage kit for about 6 years now.its the cherry red.
    if you can't keep time... then your just making noise!

User Info Menu

what the heck does a motorcycle companie know about music anyway?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    what the heck does a motorcycle companie know about music anyway?
    Just so we're clear here.....Yamaha has been making musical instruments long before they started producing motorcycles.....