Thread: New additions to 70s Ludwig Kit

User Info Menu

Default New additions to 70s Ludwig Kit

I've been piecing together a 70s Ludwig kit around a 1976 white cortex 20" floor tom that I've had for over 40 years. Once I had it restored, I couldn't part with it so I started looking for matching drums to add to it. The first one I found was a 14" rack. It's a 6 ply as opposed to the floor tom which is a 3 ply and I didn't realize at the time the difference in desirability or the importance of matching construction among set pieces. From then on I looked for 3 ply only. After a long search I found a matching kick drum, although it's 22" rather than the 24" I would have preferred. I added a 1972 Supra and called my kit complete. I've gigged it several times and love the sound, but there was always the nagging feeling of a 6 ply mixed in with the 3plys. So I kept my eyes open and finally found a 13" tom, 3 ply in white cortex, which is currently having its edges cleaned up. While on vacation, I saw that the same seller listed a 3 ply white cortex 18" floor tom. It would be perfect for my "quasi" Bonham kit. So I made a deal for it and it arrived in one day. It's in great shape, missing a tone control and needs heads which are already on the way. I'll probably have the edges cleaned up on it as well. I'll sell the 14" rack to recoup some of the investment. Once I have all the pieces together I'll be sure to provide pics!

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Default Re: New additions to 70s Ludwig Kit

Sounds nice but you probably wont be finished until you find a 14 in. tom and a 24 in. bass.Happy hunting
    Rick

Mapex Sabian Ludwig Saluda Assorted Snare Drums

User Info Menu

Default Re: New additions to 70s Ludwig Kit

Quote Originally Posted by nubdrummer View Post
    I've been piecing together a 70s Ludwig kit around a 1976 white cortex 20" floor tom that I've had for over 40 years. Once I had it restored, I couldn't part with it so I started looking for matching drums to add to it. The first one I found was a 14" rack. It's a 6 ply as opposed to the floor tom which is a 3 ply and I didn't realize at the time the difference in desirability or the importance of matching construction among set pieces. From then on I looked for 3 ply only. After a long search I found a matching kick drum, although it's 22" rather than the 24" I would have preferred. I added a 1972 Supra and called my kit complete. I've gigged it several times and love the sound, but there was always the nagging feeling of a 6 ply mixed in with the 3plys. So I kept my eyes open and finally found a 13" tom, 3 ply in white cortex, which is currently having its edges cleaned up. While on vacation, I saw that the same seller listed a 3 ply white cortex 18" floor tom. It would be perfect for my "quasi" Bonham kit. So I made a deal for it and it arrived in one day. It's in great shape, missing a tone control and needs heads which are already on the way. I'll probably have the edges cleaned up on it as well. I'll sell the 14" rack to recoup some of the investment. Once I have all the pieces together I'll be sure to provide pics!
    Sounds like a fun project. Can't wait for pics.
    Signature here