I agree, gorgeous kit.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ludwig Drums Discussion

Ludwig Centennial vs. Classic Maple.

Just curious if anyone has had experience with these 2 models. I'm saving up for a new kit and wanted some feedback. I love the sound of the classic maples. Ae the centennials close?
    Gretsch Catalina Maple (Broken down to a 4pc)
    Sabian XS Cymbals
    Paiste Signature 14" Hi Hats

User Info Menu

havent played the classic maples so i can't comment on them; and all i know about centennials is they are a mid-level maple kit, have "hyperdrive" tom sizes and real deep bass drums 20" deep. probably sound wonderful too.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

After 20 yrs of drumming, I am finally a member of the Ludwig (drumset) family...

Here are my recently acquired Classic Maples with a black sparkle wrap.

10, 12, 14, 16, 22 plus a 6.5x14 Supraphonic.

I bought them off CL for a killer price. They look new, but they were made in '99. I am thrilled to have them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott G
    Follow me on twitter
    My discography sample
    Strange Americans

Gear:
    Brady
    Gretsch
    Ludwig
    Paiste
    Bosphorus

User Info Menu

I got my first Ludwig set in 1971 from Jim Corder at Corder Music. Beautiful top of the line silver sparkle 5 piece classic african wood which looked more like maple. . . 3 or 4 years later I purchased the 6, 8, 10, 14, 15, and 16 concert toms and Hercules stands.
    I basically had the octoplus set with a single 14 x 22 kick drum and classic 8x12 and 9x13mounted on the kick drum and 16x16 floor tom. In 1980 I lost the basic set along with my Avedis Cymbals in a club fire. Salvaged my supraphonic but lost the kick, 10, 8x12, 9x13, 14x15 and 16x16 floor tom. Replaced those in the same silver sparkle Ludwig classic drums and bought another supraphonic.
    The original Concert toms were coated on the inside with a gray spray that reminds me of something you see on the inside of a bass boat. Not sure if it is some kind of pressure spray or what. Not sure what kind of wood is under the wrap..I think it is maple. The drums that replaced those I lost are the nice light maple. Heavy drums. Still useing those. In the late 70's I taught for Jim Corder at his factory. He had purchased the Fibes machinery and made some really nice drums and those rainbow jingles tambourines and flip folders. I am still useing the Fibes kick pedal I bought from him. A lot of people don't realize it but he invented the clear drums and took the idea to WFL. He also gave me a late 60's Camco 14x22 Bass drum and 8x12 tom that I put Ludwig classic hardware on and still use in my ****tail drum set up I pieced together with my classic stands, my Speed King and 15" concert tom. They are silver sparkle also and matched my Ludwigs perfectly. Here is a pic of the inside of the original concert toms I still have. Has anyone seen this before?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Scottie_Guns View Post
    After 20 yrs of drumming, I am finally a member of the Ludwig (drumset) family...

I bought them off CL for a killer price. They look new, but they were made in '99. I am thrilled to have them.
    to die for!
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

Larrysperf Guest

Sorry I missed these WOW they are sweet , amazing and welcome to the Ludwig Family

User Info Menu

Can anyone offer some insight here? My Classic Maple (1999) toms all have two badges / vents per drum.

I thought they would only have one. They are approx 12 o'clock and 3 o'clock in relation to each other.

Is that standard?
    Scott G
    Follow me on twitter
    My discography sample
    Strange Americans

Gear:
    Brady
    Gretsch
    Ludwig
    Paiste
    Bosphorus

User Info Menu

I've had an acrolite for quite a while, it has a great sound, it also has the original snare wires on it. Only problem i've had is that one of the tightening screws kept loosening, so i put some lock tight on it and haven't had a problem since.

I'm looking at a Ludwig Accent CS Bonham model. It's an all maple shell, which would you guys go with?
    All the Best,
    Tom

Drums:
    Ddrum Dominion Dorian 5-piece Kit
    24x18 kick
    13x9 mounted
    14x14 floor
    16x14 floor
    14x4.5 Ludwig Acrolite
    14x11 Custom Yamaha marching snare on floor tom legs

And in the end, it's not the years in your life that
    count. It's the life in your years. --Abraham Lincoln

User Info Menu

Really nice looking color!
    DW Collector's Series ~ Zildjian cymbals

User Info Menu

Does anyone here know when (decade will do) Ludwig & Slingerland made this bd cymbal arm? I bought it on eBay because it will fit my 1958 Gretsch bd mount. It was advertised as a Ludwig/Slingerland cymbal arm. It's a two piece unit so I'm guessing one is Ludwig the other Slingy but I don't know which is which.
    Gary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JayW View Post
    Really nice looking color!
    I'd like to see a photo or two. I've always liked Ludwig even though I play Gretsch.............some day I hope to own a nice Ludwig snare drum.
    That colour sounds pretty nice
    Gary

User Info Menu

I got an answer on a Vintage Forum for the year of my BD cymbal mount.

It's a 60's Ludwig. I like the way it's built - nice and solid - and the top cymbal keeper is different and easy to use. So now I have a Ludwig bd cymbal arm to go with the Speed King Hi-hat and Speed King pedal that came with the 58 Gretsch kit. I've cleaned, repaired and restored the Speed King hardware and I'm using it on the kit now...........love it!
    Gary

User Info Menu

That's awesome Kona! I think I'm gonna get my Luddies from my brother's house and start a resto job on them.

You've inspired me.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

Larrysperf Guest

Can anyone offer some insight here? My Classic Maple (1999) toms all have two badges / vents per drum.

I thought they would only have one. They are approx 12 o'clock and 3 o'clock in relation to each other.

Is that standard?
    Yes some sets they did that and makes them worth more

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    That's awesome Kona! I think I'm gonna get my Luddies from my brother's house and start a resto job on them.

You've inspired me.
    That sounds like a great project! Let us know any updates if you decide to do that............and of course - lots of pix
    How old are they?
    Gary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kona View Post
    That sounds like a great project! Let us know any updates if you decide to do that............and of course - lots of pix
    How old are they?
    They're a smoke vistalite, blue olive badge. My research online suggests it's a 1978 model
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

They're a smoke vistalite, blue olive badge. My research online suggests it's a 1978 model
    My brother had those! Sold them to get Neil Peart style Tama Superstars!
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Man - that would be one nice kit to have up-n-running wouldn't it?

Ludwig recently - in last couple of years I think - re-released Vistalite shellpacks. Carl Palmer was touring with a blue outfit - nice!
    Gary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    My brother had those! Sold them to get Neil Peart style Tama Superstars!
    This kit used to belong to my drum teacher years ago. It's a 4 piece (no matching snare). He traded it for a clear 5 piece set with a 24" kick and the snare. Man that kit was awesome.

I said to my teacher "too bad you traded the other kit because I'd have bought it from you." He felt so bad about not giving me first dibs that he gave me the other guy's phone number. This guy buys and sells drums as a hobby so I traded an old late 80's Tama e-kit, and my Yamaha starter kit for the luddies. I went back to my teacher and told him that I got them and he was pretty psyched too.

Vistas are such unique kits.
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kona View Post
    Man - that would be one nice kit to have up-n-running wouldn't it?

Ludwig recently - in last couple of years I think - re-released Vistalite shellpacks. Carl Palmer was touring with a blue outfit - nice!
    I recorded my band's LP with it years ago. We tried doing the indy thing like Boston did, but the business was different then. That kit has such a great sound.

Luddy did re-release them, but I think they're gone again. Not sure 'bout that, but they had the same retro hardware too which was really cool.
    Last edited by CycleDude; 01-02-2010 at 04:40 PM.
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

Well here I am, in the Ludwig clan, can't wait to actually hear them. they are (diameter 1st) 10x9, 12x11, 13x12 and 18x16 kick. One of the original RIMS mounts was missing, so I got a pearl optimount at jd for the 13". It is way lighter than the original RIMS mount. I'm just in the midst of cleaning her up (removing the lugs etc.) and am going to use them at my little new years gig.
    The badge says it was made in Monroe, NC, USA, and I'm pretty impressed with the manufacturing. The bearing edges are perfect!! Stained on the inside and out, bearing edges included, which pleases me
    Last edited by funkyruss; 12-22-2009 at 12:35 PM.

Larrysperf Guest

Man they look nice and the right guy has them. I know you will have them in tip top shape. Very very nice. they look very much like mine
    Last edited by Larrysperf; 12-24-2009 at 02:51 PM.

User Info Menu

That's a great-looking kit there, FunkyRuss. What finish is that? I'm looking into getting a set of Classic Maples, and that looks sort of like the cherry finish.

Supraphonic question for the group. Is there a big difference between the metal Supra and the chrome over brass sound-wise? Which is more desirable?
    Ludwig Classic Maple w/Supraphonic Snare
    Sonor S-Classix
    Paiste New Signature Dark Energy

User Info Menu

OH man, Funky, those shells are beauts!!
    Signature here