Page 40 of 56 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 1386

Thread: Ludwig Drums Discussion

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ludwig Drums Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Justin122 View Post
    The V Series is categorised more as a "traditional rock" kit, however my tastes have changed to more of an R&B/Funk style. I'm looking for a drier, deeper sound and from what I've heard the Breakbeats are like that.
    Depending on what your budget is, the Ludwig Club Dates might be worth looking into: 20" bass, 12" & 14" toms make for a relatively compact & light kit. They do have more of a retro look, though, with the single lug setup - so they may, or may not appeal to you.

User Info Menu

[IMG][/IMG]

I came across this guy on the interwebs yesterday. It's the new copper phonic, and I think it will be my next snare purchase. I have been debating over a copper or aluminum shell for my next snare, but after seeing this, the debate is over. They are supposed to hit stores mid May.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by -bongos- View Post
    [IMG][/IMG]

I came across this guy on the interwebs yesterday. It's the new copper phonic, and I think it will be my next snare purchase. I have been debating over a copper or aluminum shell for my next snare, but after seeing this, the debate is over. They are supposed to hit stores mid May.
    Wow - is that ever a sharp looking drum!! I have never played a copper snare - I wonder if they are closer to brass in sound, rather than aluminum.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ludleg View Post
    Wow - is that ever a sharp looking drum!! I have never played a copper snare - I wonder if they are closer to brass in sound, rather than aluminum.
    I'm gonna say brass because brass is copper but with a small amount of zinc.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Hello Ludwig experts! I am picking up an Oyster Black, three piece kit, 22, 13, 16, with a metal snare, kick pedal, hi hat, couple cymbal stands tomorrow. The manufacture year is 1976 per the serial numbers. Blue Olive badges, pointy corners. It's a little dirty, but otherwise all complete, and all purchased at the same time from Sam Ash, I think. Coming from the original owner. The only thing not original is the snare batter head. All heads and everything else are original. I peeked through the two tom vents. Both the floor tom and rack appear to have reinforcement rings. One is painted inside, the other is natural. Didn't look in the kick. I recall seeing somewhere that they had two different shell constructions that year.

It has a single tom mount on the kick. Is there anything I should consider with this kit? It has all it's parts and could be played as is. I'd probably want to clean it. I am not sure if I should play it, or if it's all fairly ordinary and replaceable.. For sure, I would not want to play the heads for fear that I'd ruin them.

I have several other kits to play. Not really a vintage person, it was just a cool kit and local, so I figured I'd get it. If any of you can tell me a little history about the model, I'd be appreciative.

Rock on!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 0sparky0 View Post
    Hello Ludwig experts! I am picking up an Oyster Black, three piece kit, 22, 13, 16, with a metal snare, kick pedal, hi hat, couple cymbal stands tomorrow. The manufacture year is 1976 per the serial numbers. Blue Olive badges, pointy corners. It's a little dirty, but otherwise all complete, and all purchased at the same time from Sam Ash, I think. Coming from the original owner. The only thing not original is the snare batter head. All heads and everything else are original. I peeked through the two tom vents. Both the floor tom and rack appear to have reinforcement rings. One is painted inside, the other is natural. Didn't look in the kick. I recall seeing somewhere that they had two different shell constructions that year.
    Looks like you are right about 1976 being a transition year in how Ludwig made their shells. It might explain why one tom is painted and one is clear on the inside.

User Info Menu

It has a single tom mount on the kick. Is there anything I should consider with this kit? It has all it's parts and could be played as is. I'd probably want to clean it. I am not sure if I should play it, or if it's all fairly ordinary and replaceable.. For sure, I would not want to play the heads for fear that I'd ruin them.

I have several other kits to play. Not really a vintage person, it was just a cool kit and local, so I figured I'd get it. If any of you can tell me a little history about the model, I'd be appreciative.

Rock on!!
    Just curious, but what did it run you? Any pics?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    Just curious, but what did it run you? Any pics?
    No pics yet. Have material to learn for tonight. But I looked over everything whenb I got it home yeaterday. Have the three drums, Supraphonic snare, Atlas Hi Hat, 4 Atlas straight, flat base stands, Speed King pedal, LP Cowbell, A set of mallets, a set of metal brushes, Atlas non flat base snare stand, and a really uncomfortable but very cool looking throne. Everything works, minimal wear, and only minor pitting in some spots. Wraps all look great. Plus I got Zildjian hats a sizzle ride, regular ride, and two crashes... Though the model isn't really rare or anything, I'm genuinely fascinated that someone kept everything together, and original since 1976. Part of me really wants to play it. Part of me wants to put the whole thing in a time capsule. Was a few hundred dollars..

User Info Menu

Though the model isn't really rare or anything, I'm genuinely fascinated that someone kept everything together, and original since 1976. Part of me really wants to play it. Part of me wants to put the whole thing in a time capsule. Was a few hundred dollars..
    A few hundred dollars!! Are you serious? Sounds like you got quite a deal as the kit is in good order and playable. If I were you I would play it - you gotta find out how it sounds - may be the sweetest kit you have ever heard! Probably a good idea to switch the heads first, though. It will sound better but also preserve the originals in case you ever did want to sell.

Let us know, if you decide to play them, what you think.

User Info Menu

Correction on the cymbals. An 18 and 20" Zildjian, 14" Zildjian New Beat hats, and an 18" Paiste Super Made in Switzerland sizzle crash or ride, or something.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ludleg View Post
    A few hundred dollars!! Are you serious? Sounds like you got quite a deal as the kit is in good order and playable. If I were you I would play it - you gotta find out how it sounds - may be the sweetest kit you have ever heard! Probably a good idea to switch the heads first, though. It will sound better but also preserve the originals in case you ever did want to sell.

Let us know, if you decide to play them, what you think.
    Good suggestion! It has Ludwig Weather Master batters on both sides of the toms. What would you guys suggest I replace them with? The kick has original heads too. I generally like EMAD batters, personally. Any guidance here is good too. I have a custom Classic Maple kit (new one), that came with the modern version of the tom heads, which sound excellent. Got coated batter on kick and hated it. It's an 18" though.

Thank you!

User Info Menu

Good suggestion! It has Ludwig Weather Master batters on both sides of the toms. What would you guys suggest I replace them with? The kick has original heads too. I generally like EMAD batters, personally. Any guidance here is good too. I have a custom Classic Maple kit (new one), that came with the modern version of the tom heads, which sound excellent. Got coated batter on kick and hated it. It's an 18" though.

Thank you!
    Osarky0 - you will probably get as many opinions as there are drum heads - but I will give my 2 cents worth. I have a set of Ludwig Legacies - so basically the same shell type as what you have with that kit. I tried a lot of different heads but found the perfect ones - for the toms - were the Ludwig Weather Master ones that came with the kit.

When I first got the kit, I didn't really understand how that type of shell would / should sound so I wasn't convinced I had the best heads on with the Ludwig ones that came with it. A lot of experimenting later - and understanding the drums better, I tried the Ludwig heads again (Heavy - coated) for the batters, clear for the resos)- tuning them very low and voila! - gorgeous sound.

Regarding the bass drum - I am still searching myself. Right now I have an Aquarian Super Kick I batter and a Remo FibreSkyn reso. If you like the EMad, try that. The single ply version may give you more tone than the 2-ply - hard to say.

For the snare - I like the Ludwig medium coated - but the head I really like on my wooden Ludwig snare is the Evans Genera Dry. On my metal snares, the Evans Reverse Dot works very well for me.

Hope this helps!

User Info Menu

No pics yet. Have material to learn for tonight. But I looked over everything whenb I got it home yeaterday. Have the three drums, Supraphonic snare, Atlas Hi Hat, 4 Atlas straight, flat base stands, Speed King pedal, LP Cowbell, A set of mallets, a set of metal brushes, Atlas non flat base snare stand, and a really uncomfortable but very cool looking throne. Everything works, minimal wear, and only minor pitting in some spots. Wraps all look great. Plus I got Zildjian hats a sizzle ride, regular ride, and two crashes... Though the model isn't really rare or anything, I'm genuinely fascinated that someone kept everything together, and original since 1976. Part of me really wants to play it. Part of me wants to put the whole thing in a time capsule. Was a few hundred dollars..
    I'll double your money right now and come and get them!

User Info Menu

Well yes, 1976 was a transition year, but I'm pretty sure that when they went to 4/6 plies, th e reinforcement rings were ditched.

Quite an amazing find! My advice: get some heads on them, tune em up, sell the paiste, get a gritty retro blues band, and take them on the road!
    Tama Swingstar 3 piece 1993 (refinished wine red)
    Ludwig Breakbeats (Azure Sparkle)
    1964 Ludwig Supra
    Old no-name Luan 12x8 tom/snare (refinished wine red)
    Mapex MPX 14"x5.5" snare (refinished in gloss black)
    Pearl Vision 14"x14" ft/snare (refinished wine red)
    Aquarian heads
    14" Sabian HHX Stage Hats
    15" Meinl Extra Dry Thin Hats
    18" Meinl Vintage Trash Crash
    18" Wuhan China
    18" Thin Zildjian Crash
    18" Thin Zildjian Crash with rivets
    19" Meinl Extra Dry Thin Crash
    22" Istanbul Mehmet Legend Dark Ride
    23" Matt Bettis Dry Ride

User Info Menu

Thanks everybody! The serial numbers all suggest 1976ish. I'll get replacement heads and when I do, see if there's anything interesting inside the shells. Will be fun cleaning them up. At some point I'll take pics. I promise.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lukesplat12 View Post
    Well yes, 1976 was a transition year, but I'm pretty sure that when they went to 4/6 plies, the reinforcement rings were ditched.
    Totally agree with quote above.
    If you have re-rings, you got the old 3-ply shells.
    I had some from 1973 to 1977............sounded great.
    Good score for you !
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Thanks everybody! The serial numbers all suggest 1976ish. I'll get replacement heads and when I do, see if there's anything interesting inside the shells. Will be fun cleaning them up. At some point I'll take pics. I promise.
    Can't wait to see the pics...............bet she's gorgeous

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    Can't wait to see the pics...............bet she's gorgeous
    Not having much luck getting pics to load to a gallery here.

http://www.drumchat.com/picture.php?...pictureid=9387

User Info Menu

Please forgive my off topic post but ...

It seems that Ludwig has single headed concert toms available again in diameters ranging from 6" thru to 18". I've seen advertisements of being able to assemble the old Octa and Quadra Plus outfits of the '70s via custom order. Perhaps they'll even start offering these outfits again as standard configurations ...

Not that I want another concert tom kit but maybe I'll finally be able to get those 6" and 8" single headed concert toms that I've been wanting for so long to go with my Classic Maple Kit.

What do you guys think of this recent development?
    Last edited by dangermoney; 04-17-2015 at 04:24 PM.

User Info Menu

Any of you ludwig lugheads have this type of BD mounted rack tom? Just curious as it seems to me that crackin of the BD would be a major concern due to the mount being screwed directly into the wood and middle of the shell unlike a big hole with a mounting pole in it? Does it flex alot? Would you put anything bigger than a 10" tom on it?

[IMG][/IMG]
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I had two Ludwig kits with that type of tom mount on them, one of them was a 1964 kit and the other was 1975. Even on the '64 kit there were no signs whatsoever of stress to the shell. I had a 12" tom mounted on both kits, and I've seen up to 13" toms affixed. If I remember correctly, there were flat washers on the inside that helped spread the stress across a wider area. I think people tend to underestimate how much stress a drum shell can accommodate. They are much stronger than we think.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Any of you ludwig lugheads have this type of BD mounted rack tom? Just curious as it seems to me that crackin of the BD would be a major concern due to the mount being screwed directly into the wood and middle of the shell unlike a big hole with a mounting pole in it? Does it flex alot? Would you put anything bigger than a 10" tom on it?
    This is perfectly normal and it should be entirely fine. Is this your kit? Did you just find it? Thinking about buying it?

Looks like a fine kit
    Tama Swingstar 3 piece 1993 (refinished wine red)
    Ludwig Breakbeats (Azure Sparkle)
    1964 Ludwig Supra
    Old no-name Luan 12x8 tom/snare (refinished wine red)
    Mapex MPX 14"x5.5" snare (refinished in gloss black)
    Pearl Vision 14"x14" ft/snare (refinished wine red)
    Aquarian heads
    14" Sabian HHX Stage Hats
    15" Meinl Extra Dry Thin Hats
    18" Meinl Vintage Trash Crash
    18" Wuhan China
    18" Thin Zildjian Crash
    18" Thin Zildjian Crash with rivets
    19" Meinl Extra Dry Thin Crash
    22" Istanbul Mehmet Legend Dark Ride
    23" Matt Bettis Dry Ride

User Info Menu

That is normal as mentioned. That's a Ludwig Rail Consolette (or hotdog rail) mounted to the shell. Yes there are 2 large flatwashers to help support it inside the shell. No worries and nice champagne sparkle kit.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 04-19-2015 at 05:30 PM.

User Info Menu

Cool thanks, Just shopping around for my forever kit and the ludwig legacy is in the thick of it so was just wondering about this mount. Love the color but also have a few others in mind should I go the luddy direction. Still need to sell one of my 2 kits as well.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Here is my complete Silver Sparkle Ludwig drum set. I have not performed on this configuration in 27 years. It was my touring set with "Cornelius Brothers & Sister Rose". To old and lazy to haul it all around. I once did 32 one nighters in a row with it.

Last edited by VIbes; 05-09-2015 at 04:06 PM.
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1980 Silver Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1960 Gold Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1968 Champagne Sparkle
    Premier Resonators vintage 70's Polychromatic Red
    Slingerland 60's Vintage. Vintage Sky Blue Pearl
    Slingerland 1972 "Avante" Red
    Camco Chanute vintage. 1973 Silver Sparkle
    Gretsch Catalina Jazz. Blue Pearl
    Sonor Safari. Black Galaxy
    Rogers Londoner V vintage. 1977 Silver Mist
    Rogers Script Badge 9/72 1972 Black Nitro
    Beverley of England 4 piece vintage. Red