Page 51 of 56 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 1386

Thread: Ludwig Drums Discussion

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ludwig Drums Discussion

That sounds awesome, Dave.
    We always love to see pics if you have them!
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

After I got out of the service (Nov 17th, 1969) and back into bands, by '74, I had 3 sets of Ludwigs and a set of Rogers. By '76-77, I went into a music store to get a couple of pairs of sticks (I always kept sticks in our studio and our truck). I didn't know then that it would be 40 years between the time that I last broke a stick while actually playing. I walked out of that store with a complete "Buddy Rich" set of Slingerlands in White Pearl. The complete set, right down to the Zildjians for $750. Never see that again.

The Rogers stayed in our studio. The Ludwigs were the black set in my videos (until I re-wrapped them about 3 years ago in White Abalone. Got the idea from Bish) and 2 sets of Black Pearl Ludwigs, that I sold after I retired. They were all nice looking sets, but the Slingerland White Pearl was the best looking. Wish I kept them. The Rogers were also White Pearl, but they weren't as "pretty" as the Slingerlands.

Now I have the Ludwigs and the set of Pearls I bought when I 1st moved here. Love how the Pearls look but hate the tom mounts. Worst tom mounts ever.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Now I have the Ludwigs and the set of Pearls I bought when I 1st moved here. Love how the Pearls look but hate the tom mounts. Worst tom mounts ever.
    Never been a big fan of the Pearl hardware. Played a set of Pearl this weekend as they were on the back line. OK I guess. If I was in the market for a new kit, Pearl would be about #6 brand I'd look at after Ludwig, Mapex, Pork Pie, Sonar, DW (and I'm not a big DW fan).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Never been a big fan of the Pearl hardware. Played a set of Pearl this weekend as they were on the back line. OK I guess. If I was in the market for a new kit, Pearl would be about #6 brand I'd look at after Ludwig, Mapex, Pork Pie, Sonar, DW (and I'm not a big DW fan).
    What model of Pearls were they?
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    An older MMX
    C45E72D3-B706-469B-A728-E8A5B484079F.jpg
    Last edited by inthpktplayer; 08-07-2018 at 01:00 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    I don't know what model of Pearls Marc played, mine are EXR.

The tom mounts are, quite simply put, the worse I've ever had to deal with. I hate any mount, stand, etc., that has ratchet type adjustments. On the up toms, 1 click down and they are too low and the angle is bad. 1 click up, and they are too flat and the angle is bad. At the same time, being that all my sets of Ludwigs were bought in the early '70's, their tom mount was pathetic. Basically, I had to deal with a similar situation as the Pearls.

1 thing that amazed me, was that all of the videos I have put up have been on a set of Ludwigs that I bought at Sam Ash in Brooklyn. I called them up, told them what I wanted and if they had a set, in black, with a "virgin" BD. They did, and when I bought them, I bought a Slingerland Set-O-Matic tom mount, took them home, drilled the holes for the tom mount, mounted a 14x10 up tom on it, and while the mount looks fragile compared to the heavy duty mounts of today, that tom mount has held that 14x10 tom for over 45 years and thousands of gigs. It's a ball and socket setup, and the adjustments are all but infinite.

As for the Pearls. I would put a different tom mount on them but I would have to take the old holder off and the new mount would be in a different place and it would mess up the finish on them, which is beautiful, but shows up as Black Pearl on my videos with the Pearls. The actual wrap is Prism Blue, and, on a stage with lights on them, IMHO, they would look great.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Got myself a Ludwig Breakbeats kit, and absolutely love to play it.

3.jpg

4.jpg
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Those small kits are fun to play! I love my upgraded Safari's! lol.DSC01886.jpg

User Info Menu

The BEST part about small kits like the Breakbeat is actually gigging with them. Easier to load & carry, less room on stage and in the vehicle, and if you throw a couple mics on them, they are more than adequate for 99% of the gigs most of us play. I understand that some of us are addicted to racks of toms and tons of cymbals, but plenty of pro rock drummers make their living with a simple 4pc kit and a couple cymbals. The only time I take my full kit out is for outdoor gigs and times when I just feel like playing it.

Also- I seem to be less physically tired by the end of the night when I play my small kit.
    Last edited by N2Bluz; 04-10-2019 at 10:35 AM.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I've been using mine to give lessons with at my local music store. I do have some gigs planned that I will use it at. It is also my full time practice kit now.

20190306_163804.jpg

20190306_161758.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

DW, I just love the color and sparkle of that Breakbeat wrap. I know of a couple of drummers in my area that gig them regularly. They are good kits for the money ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dangermoney View Post
    DW, I just love the color and sparkle of that Breakbeat wrap. I know of a couple of drummers in my area that gig them regularly. They are good kits for the money ...
    I am enjoying it for sure. Some of my musician friends laughed when I got it because I've always been known to play at least six pieces, but I'm kind of growing fond of this four piece kit. It is a lot of fun to play.

User Info Menu

My ONLY complaint about the modern “jungle kits” or whatever you want to call them, is that until very recently, most on the market are made from Basswood, Poplar and other less expensive woods. I understand it’s a price point issue..and honestly, they still sound just fine. But, I’d really love to find a Breakbeats style kit made from quality Maple or Birch or Oak or Walnut, etc.. Ludwig makes the Evolution Maple and Nu-Sonic series affordable...how about a Breakbeats Maple or a Nu-Sonic kit in 10/13/16?
    -Brian

User Info Menu

N2Bluz
    SPL (Sound Percussion Labs) makes a 4 pc Street Bop shell pack in birch that retails for less than $400. If I remember correctly, I paid $300 a few years ago. After swapping out the stock heads for Remo pinstripes on the toms and an Evans Emad on the 18" bass, I've used this kit for my last few gigs. And actually got a compliment on the punchy sound of the bass drum from another drummer. But I could never get a good sound from the snare, so I use a Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite. It looks good against the silver sparkle of the SPL kit, and sounds even better. Check 'em out if you're looking for a portable kit.
    JOE

Seven piece vintage Ludwig kit (1971), Sky Blue Pearl, 12, 13, 14, 16, 20, 22
    Snare drums (all Ludwig): 1971 Supraphonic, 1969 SBP Classic, 1990s Blackrolite, 2012 6.5x 14 Black Magic
    Zildjian Cymbals - 21 ping, 20, 20, 19, 18, 17, 16, 15, 14 HH, 10, 18 China, Wuhan 18 China
    Five piece Sonor All Maple 3005s: 12, 13, 16, 22, 5x 14 snare
    Roland TD4SX
    SPL Birch Bop Kit: 13, 8, 13, 18

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrumWhipper View Post
    I've been using mine to give lessons with at my local music store. I do have some gigs planned that I will use it at. It is also my full time practice kit now.

20190306_163804.jpg
    I always pictured you as older. That kit color is similar to my TAMA bop kit. I really enjoy playing mine, too.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joecut View Post
    N2Bluz
    SPL (Sound Percussion Labs) makes a 4 pc Street Bop shell pack in birch that retails for less than $400. If I remember correctly, I paid $300 a few years ago. After swapping out the stock heads for Remo pinstripes on the toms and an Evans Emad on the 18" bass, I've used this kit for my last few gigs. And actually got a compliment on the punchy sound of the bass drum from another drummer. But I could never get a good sound from the snare, so I use a Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite. It looks good against the silver sparkle of the SPL kit, and sounds even better. Check 'em out if you're looking for a portable kit.
    Funny you should say that...
    This is my regular gigging kit
    1534B5D4-0C94-442C-BAC4-D1D7B0E2DB45.jpg
    I agree with you 100%. I love Street Bop and it’s been my primary gig kit for 3+ years!
    I bought it used in “like new” condition off CL for $100 . I added a cymbal mount bracket on the BD to hold the ride, which eliminates a cymbal stand.
    For a snare, I use my Ludwig Supralite 13x6. However, I actually got the factory SPL snare to sound pretty good by re-sanding the bearing edges, adding Evans Heads and Puresound wires. I also changed the crappy throw-off for a Gibraltar version. It sounds very nice, but I prefer the deeper sound of the 13x6 Supra.
    I’m totally amazed that a Sound Percussion Kit has held up to several years of gigging without one single problem...and as you stated, I always get tons of compliments on the sound.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I always pictured you as older. That kit color is similar to my TAMA bop kit. I really enjoy playing mine, too.
    Ha! I'm quite a bit older.

20190303_121001.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Funny you should say that...
    This is my regular gigging kit
    1534B5D4-0C94-442C-BAC4-D1D7B0E2DB45.jpg
    I agree with you 100%. I love Street Bop and it’s been my primary gig kit for 3+ years!
    I bought it used in “like new” condition off CL for $100 . I added a cymbal mount bracket on the BD to hold the ride, which eliminates a cymbal stand.
    For a snare, I use my Ludwig Supralite 13x6. However, I actually got the factory SPL snare to sound pretty good by re-sanding the bearing edges, adding Evans Heads and Puresound wires. I also changed the crappy throw-off for a Gibraltar version. It sounds very nice, but I prefer the deeper sound of the 13x6 Supra.
    I’m totally amazed that a Sound Percussion Kit has held up to several years of gigging without one single problem...and as you stated, I always get tons of compliments on the sound.
    Great minds think alike! BTW, you got a great deal on that kit. I might try your snare restoration tips. Thanks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joecut View Post
    Great minds think alike! BTW, you got a great deal on that kit. I might try your snare restoration tips. Thanks.
    $100 AND the guy threw in 12” Wuhan splash AND a Wuhan crash. Plus- he had already replaced the heads with clear Pins.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Got my music room set up with my Breakbeats kit.

MusicRoom.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrumWhipper View Post
    Got my music room set up with my Breakbeats kit.

MusicRoom.jpg
    Didn’t you buy an outdoor shed for a drum/band practice space? You still using it?
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Nice clean setup. I'd rock it. I bet that bass drum sounds tight.

User Info Menu

Bop kits rule!! lol.DSC01886.jpg

User Info Menu

I've enjoyed playing this Ludwig Breakbeats kit since I bought it a few months back. However, last night was the first time I played it in a full band setting. I was VERY impressed with how it held up. The guys I jammed with were equally impressed, and spoke about how good it sounded for a "little" kit. They were blown away with the sound of the 16 inch kick drum. Needless to say, I will be using this kit more for small gigs and jams like I did last night.

20190511_174727.jpg

20190511_174659.jpg

User Info Menu

That looks so much like my TAMA bop kit.

It's going on the market this week.
    Signature here