User Info Menu

Default Re: Gretsch Drums Discussion

all nice kit. Nice job!!!

User Info Menu

my baby soon to be =]

User Info Menu

why do all my post keep gettin deleted????

User Info Menu

SadikOne, are you logging in and out correctly, or are you away from your computer for a while and then coming back to post. Any of these things could cause posting problems. I will say that I see you current post.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

nice kit. I like the finish

User Info Menu

I have several different drum catalogues from different manufactures of drum kits and my Gretsch catalogue probably gets paged through the most. There is something really intriguing about Gretsch drums. I think they are some of the classiest drums made. I like all of them from the Catalina jazz kits to the USA Customs. I played a lot of Gretsch kits in my lifetime but never owned one. I keep on saying to myself that the next kit I buy will be a Gretsch.

I just have one issue that keeps cropping up when looking at Gretsch drums and that is the five lugs on their 10" and 12" rack toms. There seems to be a lot of space between tension rods on the 12" tom. Does anyone here have any problems with the tuning of these drums? Do they stay in tune for you? Evertime I go to my local drum store I sit behind and play some of the Gretsch kit they have on their floor and always wonder about the 5 lugs. My 8" tom on my Yamaha kit has 5 lugs per side and goes out of tune a bit once in a while, but it's usually only one or two tension rods and I can get right back to where it belongs in seconds.

Just wondering,
    Dennis
    Last edited by audiotech; 01-05-2009 at 07:25 AM.

User Info Menu

It is a little strange but it has been said that the one less lug on the rack tom contributed to the unique Gretsch sound. It is true that the small toms have a characteristic ring to them unlike any other drum of the size. Jazz guys loved them for that musical pop sound. Never had any issues tuning. I find all Gretsch drums easy to tune and stay in tune.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Hi all-
    It's been a long time since I've posted here, but I figured this was the appropriate place to pick up the dialog again

To measure the time in newly acquired gear, it has been exactly one Mapex Pro-M, armand cymbal pack, and a Maple Renown bop kit

My info is based upon a number of first hand conversations with the owner of a great drum shop here in Columbus, Ohio and the Gretsch web site. I had been looking pretty hard that the current offerings for a while - I need to get my old round badge kit off of the road. Lucky me stumbled across a fantastic renown maple bop kit just last week!!!

As we all know, Gretsch has been around for a long while. They were great back in the day, quality fell off for a few years, and they have made a tremendous rebound since Kaman took over operations of the organization ~ 6 years ago.

PB - you left out the USA Custom line in your earlier post - Here is some additional information that I can share on the upper lines based upon my recent research.

ALL of these series are made overseas (Taiwan) with the exception of the USA Custom line which is made here in the states

'Normal' availability:
    Pro lines:
    USA Custom
    - Shells = Maple and Gumwood (the old Jasper recipe)
    - Hardware = Diecast hoops/lugs. The classic Gretsch hardware w/ GTS mounts

New Classic -
    - Shells = Maple and Gumwood (the old Jasper recipe) Proportionate shells increase in thickness as shell diameters increase
    - Hardware = Diecast hardware (hoops), vintage style tube lugs, and an integrated Tom Suspension system (ITS)

Renown Maple
    - Shells = solid maple shells
    - Hardware = same hardware as the USA Customshardware. Diecast hoops/lugs. The classic Gretsch hardware w/ GTS mounts

Mid-range line:
    These lines tend to be more mass produced and thus have fewer options available (colors, extra drums, etc.)
    Others on the forum can probably tell you more about these than I can - I have only looked closely at the Catalina Jazz...
    Catalina Maple
    Catalina Ash
    Catalina Club Rock
    Catalina Club Mod
    catalina Club Jazz
    - Shells = Mahogany
    - Hardware = Triple flanged hoops

Blackhawk - Entry level

Specialty series:
    There are a number of specialty series that have been made.
    PB mentioned the Artist series (Ferrone/Collaiuta) and there are the Walnut and Bubinga variatios as well. In addition, certain organizations have commissioned custom variations as well. My kit, for example, is one of ~ 50 that was commissioned by a co-op of ~40 smaller, independent drum shops. Other larger businesses have commissioned some custom colors / wraps that are not normally available. There are LOTS of variationshere that lend some uniqueness! I believe Kona has a pretty sweet set he picked up ~a year or so ago...

One interesting note is that the Gretsch (all but USA Custom) shell molds were all replaced ~6 years ago when Kaman took the company over

Audiotech - kay-gee is right on in my opinion. I have never had an issue with the tuning of the drums and the 5-lug pattern is marketed by Gretch to provide a larger 'sweet spot' on the drum. My personal experience is based upon drums with die-cast hoops, which inherently distribute the tension from the lugs more evenly around teh drum (since Die cast is more solid than a tripl flanged hoop). Check out the ppt below for some aditional information regarding the lug pattern.

If you want some interesting reading, do a google search for Gretsch_2008.ppt. I don't recall the official position of the forum on external links, but this will get you to some good 2008 info! There is some really cool information on the parent site of this document 8-)

I hope this info is helpful to some of you!

User Info Menu

I do not have a kit but I do have a few snares,
    The WMP was my wife's granfathers and the COB I picked up at a pawn shop years ago

DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

I have a set of USA Customs on the way... and I'm having a hard time focusing at work!

My first Gretsch kit... and I'm prancing around like a kid in a candy store.

9x13
    16x16
    18x24
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott G
    Follow me on twitter
    My discography sample
    Strange Americans

Gear:
    Brady
    Gretsch
    Ludwig
    Paiste
    Bosphorus

User Info Menu

Careful with that 18x24 bass drum. It might take somebody's head off! I bet that kit is going to be monster.
    Kits
    DW Performance(white marine): 8x7/10x8/12x9/16x14/22x18
    Mapex Saturn III(transparent walnut): 10x8/12x9/16x16/22x18/14x5.5

Snares
    Pork Pie 14x7 Cherry/Bubinga
    Pork Pie 14x6.5 Big Black Bob
    Mapex Saturn 14x5.5 Maple/Walnut
    Homemade 14x5.5 Maple(10 ply Keller)

Cymbals
    Sabian
    14" AA regular hats
    10" AAX splash
    16" AAX Xplosion fast crash
    18" AAX Xplosion fash crash
    16" HH thin crash
    20" HHX stage ride

User Info Menu

I can't say anything about the new stuff on the market, as I haven't played anything made after 1984. I've owned a few vintage Gretsch kits, 60s round badge, an 80s square badge, and various singles, and have yet to find another company out there who can touch that "great gretsch sound". Fibes is the only one who comes close and thats because they used the same Jasper shells. Something about the gumwood core makes these drums sing. The warm tone you get from a Jasper shell is purely amazing! I've played on numerous high end kits from all sorts of makers, mainstream and custom, and there just isn't a better sounding kit out there in my opinion.

Here's a pic of my recently acquired 60s round badge kick drum. Sorry for the crappy quality, I took it with my phone. It is 14"x20" Blue Glass Glitter:

Last edited by Gretschhead; 01-06-2009 at 07:55 PM.

User Info Menu

Awesome looking bass there Gretschhead - of course I am biased as that is identical to the bass on my round badge set

Knowing what I know now, I was very lucky to have someone point me to my first kit years ago..
    Blue sparkle RB
    20" bass
    12" tom
    14" floor tom
    matching 14" snare
    vintage flat base Gretsch HH stand
    and an old Camco pedal!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Scottie_Guns View Post
    I have a set of USA Customs on the way... and I'm having a hard time focusing at work!

9x13
    16x16
    18x24
    First of all, welcome to Drum Chat Scottie! That is a beautiful new kit! I can understand your excitement!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Hi Scottie - those look sweet!!!! I'm looking forward to seeing what you think of them! I have played a number of the Gretsch kits, but not that line!

User Info Menu

9x13
    16x16
    18x24
    nice kit. Very natural finish!!!

User Info Menu

Nice. I have a Gretsch 8x14 snare in that finish.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Thanks for the encouragement. I will keep you all posted on its performance both in and out of the house

This is only my third kit in 20 years of drumming...
    '89-'08 Pearl Exports
    '99-'08 GMS Grand Master Series
    '09-??? Scott's Gretsch era?

Either I like to master what I got, or I'm afraid of change!
    Scott G
    Follow me on twitter
    My discography sample
    Strange Americans

Gear:
    Brady
    Gretsch
    Ludwig
    Paiste
    Bosphorus

User Info Menu

It's interesting to note the discusssion regarding the correlation between tuning and the number of tension lugs. I have noticed this with my Ludwigs as follows:

The 13" tom has 6 lugs and retains its tuning quite well. It has a very mellow tone when tuned just beyond finger tightening. The 16" floor tom has 8 lugs and seems to need retuning fairly often. One lug is always looser than all the others and I attribute that to their being 8 lugs to tune with. Even though I will tune that drum one lug directly across from the other, it still ends up with one lug being looser.

So, what do we learn by this? Fewer lugs may hold tuning more consistently when higher pitch is not the issue. The Ludwig "Pioneer" snare drum comes with 6 tuning lugs whereas the "Jazz Festival" comes with 8. Both drums have a warm and mellower tone than does the 10 lug SupraPhonic. Seems to me that there is more to the number of tuning lugs than we might have suspected.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

My 8x26 bass drum has 12 lugs...Go figure!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Some great observations Frank!

How about some other factors to consider as well?
    The obvious stuff like head selection (Mylar/kevlar/skin) and shell material (woods/metals) immediately come to mind, but I also have seen different sonic properties (or at least different levels of consistency from drum to drum) depending upon where a particular drum resides with the manufacturer's line (entry-level vs Pro).

To me, this has always been part of the fun to try and find the natural voice that a drum wants to speak!

The point of the Gretsch marketing slick was that an odd number gave a larger sweet spot, not necessarily fewer lugs... but with the other variables involved, I am not convinced that it has a huge impact. This is an intriguing concept, but I am in no position to debate the physics...

Your comments about your 16" floor tom sound very similar to my experience with my round badge 14", 8 lug tom. I haven't played with my new drums enough to get a good feel for them yet...
    I had never really considered the number of lugs an issue (since I had die-cast hoops) but more of an issue with the relative pitch I was going for... I find myself always wanting to my biggest drum speak as deep/low as it can, which is typically just above finger tight. For my up tom(s), the head tension the smaller drums is generally well above finger tight to get the pitch intervals I am looking for. My preference is to tune my toms from largest to smallest sice that has always been the harder drum for my to get a good sound out of...

To audio-tech's initial question above, I want to clarify that my comment about not having tuning issues was based upon my 12", 5 lug 1963 round badge tom.

Good stuff!

User Info Menu

9x13
    16x16
    18x24
    wow that is one gorgeous lookin kit =] please to bang her accordingly

6pc Mapex M Birch
    -14, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    - Evans EC2
    - BP maple cherry 13x6 snare
    -DW 9000 single
    -LP black beauty cowbell

Cymbals
    --Paiste PST5 & Sabian XS20 Wuhan and Avedis Zildjians (mastersound 13s and paper thin crash and medium ride)

User Info Menu

Sadikone1 What kinda crazy rack is that, i like it, its awesome.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Ahhh Gretsch.. My very first kit was a gift from my mom and dad for my 7th birthday. A 64 Gretsch round badge bebop with a 14x18" kick in champagne sparkle!
    I have had a few Gretsch kits in the past couple of years here's some pix..

Catalina Club Jazz in Natural Satin^^

Catalina club mini mod^^

*I have also owned an awesome Catalina Maple which I was forced into selling so I didn't keep any pics of those..Just too painful -Les

User Info Menu

Les, that natural finish kit is something to behold. Didn't you use that last summer? Or was it before that?
    Signature here