Page 3 of 124 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Gretsch Drums Discussion

User Info Menu

Default Re: Gretsch Drums Discussion

Very nice Les, love the natural finish.

And Scottie, they would sound amazing
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lesizmor View Post
    Twas last summer. If I could only have one kit to do it all. This might be "it"
    I have recorded 2 tracks on our upcoming (March '09) CD "Longing for More"
    playing these Gretsch Cat Jazzers. Amazing. !! -Les
    I know this is going to sound crazy and I'm sure this will disappoint you but I'm becoming very confused.

How many kits do you have now and what are they? I need pictures.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Hahahahaahah

That's okay, catch up any time. I'm on hold.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Les, I think that Natural satin Gretsch kit is absolutely stunning!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

New Renowns from Gretsch

9 x 13 Tom Tom;
    16 x 16 Floor Tom;
    16 x 24 Bass Drum;
    Single Tom Arm with Clamp;
    (shown with RN-6514S-CB 6.5” x 14” snare drum)

Last edited by rritter; 01-17-2009 at 10:03 AM.
    Now playing Gretsch and Slingerland Drums

User Info Menu

^^^^^^^^

Stunning. THat orange sparkle is beautiful

User Info Menu

I agree LW. Of the 2, I really like that orange sparkle!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I own a set of Catalina brich, i think....I haven't seen them yet. My buddy picked them up for me a while ago I just hadn't had a chance to pick them up. I bought my son a Catalina Maple Snare, & if that is any sign of what I am picking up....It will be great! I love his snare!!!

User Info Menu

The Inca Gold sparkle is even more stunning in person!
    Yeah PB, its Gold, not orange! sheesh

User Info Menu

There is some great looking stuff in here guys!

And on that note, hre is some more! I finally got some pics of my gear put together.

I just stumbled across a small Renown kit on Craig's List before Christmas...
    8/12/14/14/18, 3 boom stands, DW5000 hi-hat stand, Roc-n-Soc throne, and soft bags for everything. So far this little kits is GREAT!!

Here is probably the last picture that will be taken of this kit in it's current form - she is destined to be restored back to original condition
    The Boondogglers - http://www.Facebook.com/boondogglers
    Central Ohio Brass band - http://centralohiobrass.org
    Gretsch Round Badge // Gretsch Renown // Mapex Saturn

User Info Menu

You have some nice kits, man!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Thanks Bish - now if my playing was just up to their level... The never ending quest....!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Grissom View Post
    Thanks Bish - now if my playing was just up to their level... The never ending quest....!
    Me, too!!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Grissom View Post
    There is some great looking stuff in here guys!

And on that note, hre is some more! I finally got some pics of my gear put together.

I just stumbled across a small Renown kit on Craig's List before Christmas...
    8/12/14/14/18, 3 boom stands, DW5000 hi-hat stand, Roc-n-Soc throne, and soft bags for everything. So far this little kits is GREAT!!

Here is probably the last picture that will be taken of this kit in it's current form - she is destined to be restored back to original condition
    WOWEE-wow-wow! I love the renouns with the 20" kick!
    Dude..even in it's altered state..that Roundie blue sparkle is..is..is.. -Les

User Info Menu

Most of you may not know I'd owned a Gretsch Renown kit. I still don't know why we never hit it off together...

They are priced right now for clearance and I should go get another one. But, I'm not.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Most of you may not know I'd owned a Gretsch Renown kit. I still don't know why we never hit it off together...

They are priced right now for clearance and I should go get another one. But, I'm not.
    Mark, you sir have owned and do own some fine..fine kits..this Gretsch was definately NO exception! Beautiful! -Les

User Info Menu

Mark, you sir have owned and do own some fine..fine kits..this Gretsch was definately NO exception! Beautiful! -Les
    Thanks, Les. This situation was really the first time I decide to go over the $1000 level for a kit. I got it home, played one or two gigs with it and then came the Saturns. Maybe they were to culprit.

Either way, I still shake my head about getting rid of them. Maybe the way you feel about letting go of your naturals?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Thanks, Les. This situation was really the first time I decide to go over the $1000 level for a kit. I got it home, played one or two gigs with it and then came the Saturns. Maybe they were to culprit.

Either way, I still shake my head about getting rid of them. Maybe the way you feel about letting go of your naturals?
    Yes..the same way..but moreso with the Catalina maples that I was more or less forced to liquidate. I am looking at drumming fulltime in the nearer future..so "you know Who" knows what will fall into my lap!? -Les

User Info Menu

WOWEE-wow-wow! I love the renouns with the 20" kick!
    Dude..even in it's altered state..that Roundie blue sparkle is..is..is.. -Les
    Actually the Renoun has an 18" kick - so much the cooler to me!

The RB has a 20" - I just found all of my original parts (consolette, tom mount, FT legs, internal muffles, ec. The only think I am missing is the micro strainer throwoff - I have the pieces, it just didn't hold up for me in the early days....) Resto to start soon. The only issue that I know of is that the front bass hoop has been replaced...

Throw these in with the Mapex set and I have bass drums in 18", 20", and 22" sizes and I am about set for anything!

User Info Menu

Hi Bish, why didn't you and the Renowns get along? I'm asking because I found a clearance on the kit you have or used to have. The things that most bother me are the 5 lug hoops on the rack toms, not being able to get a matching snare (really no big deal) or a 16" floor tom. The finish on those kits are remarkable and the Renowns that they had on the floor sounded great, except for the 8". I borrowed a drum key and the little 8 incher sounded better but it was a little difficult to tune with three other people pounding away on other kits at the same time.

Help me out before I make the plunge!!

Dennis

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dblKick View Post
    I own a set of Catalina brich, i think....I haven't seen them yet. My buddy picked them up for me a while ago I just hadn't had a chance to pick them up. I bought my son a Catalina Maple Snare, & if that is any sign of what I am picking up....It will be great! I love his snare!!!
    I have a 6 piece set of the Catalina Birch drums and you will love them. Mine are great.
    Now playing Gretsch and Slingerland Drums

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
    Hi Bish, why didn't you and the Renowns get along? I'm asking because I found a clearance on the kit you have or used to have. The things that most bother me are the 5 lug hoops on the rack toms, not being able to get a matching snare (really no big deal) or a 16" floor tom. The finish on those kits are remarkable and the Renowns that they had on the floor sounded great, except for the 8". I borrowed a drum key and the little 8 incher sounded better but it was a little difficult to tune with three other people pounding away on other kits at the same time.

Help me out before I make the plunge!!

Dennis
    I wish I knew, audiotech. I really can't put a definite answer together. All I can say is I'd go sit down to play, and nothing would happen. No inspiration or urges to play anything. I would literally sit there and draw a blank.

I think I agree about the 5 lug tom and maybe also the only thing I had was the 14" floor and I really wanted 16". I get them for a song the first time around and while selling them I only took a couple hundred dollar hit so I didn't lose much money on them.

Bottom line there is nothing at all wrong with them and I'm sure you will love them once you own them. I just find there are certain drums that catch and hold my attention and some that don't.

But that means nothing to anyone else and I could NEVER discourage anyone from trying them. They are very wonderfully nice drums.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I've got alittle G.A.S for some myself...kinda -Les

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
    The things that most bother me are the 5 lug hoops on the rack toms, not being able to get a matching snare (really no big deal) or a 16" floor tom. Help me out before I make the plunge!!

Dennis
    Not to worry about the 5 lug toms. I have had Gretsch drums before and the 5 luggers tune and hold their tune quite nicely! Now's the time bro..get 'em while you can! -Les

User Info Menu

The other factor that didn't sit well with me was the mounting setup.

They don't fit in naturally sized drum cases.
    Signature here