User Info Menu

Cool Re: Gretsch Drums Discussion

Y'all know what I'm about to say....."DUCK..."

Aquarian Coated Super 2's over Aquarian Classic clears for toms
    Superkick III for bassdrum
    (Altho I Use Lambswool Beaters
    cos my Preference Is To Get Dat BOOM
    Like A Marching Band Bass Drum)

Outside my love & devotion for Roy Burns....
    Coated Emporers top Ambassadors bottom
    Evans Emad On Kick.....

See I Can Make Other Suggestions!!!!!
    To My Phamily ( My Aquarian Army )
    "No I'm Not Losin My Mind
    I Do Know That Aquarian Products
    May Be More Difficult To Obtain
    In Some Areas Than Other Brands...
    Thus My "Alternate Reccommendations"
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Gretsch Drums Discussion

I just mounted an emad on my Cats, courtesy of a friend who no longer wanted it, and it's pretty sweet. (Thanks Dave!) The acoustics of my basement dont lend themselves to drumming, but it does sound better than the stock head, which in fairness sounded good already.

I wouldn't mind trying the aquarian heads on my next go round.

Hey Phroggee, I was gonna try the remo vintage coated emporers as my next heads because they are so warm and fat. What would be a comperable head in the aquarian line?
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Aquarian has a neat feature on their site where they offer comparisons and other companies versions of their heads. Unfortunately they don't have an updated list for things like ebonies, black suedes, vintage emperor/ambassadors. But from what I understood during the quest of my maddening research to many different drumhead sites is that their Response II series is on the same level technologywise as G2's or Emperors, but that's about as close as they come to Vintage series heads.

Some drumhead companies have created original designs which have yet to be replicated sound and aestheticwise such as Aquarian Performance II, Evans Hydraulic, and Remo Fiberskyn's. So for that reason an accurate comparison and relationship from the products of one company to the next is often difficult, and the best way to find it out before you are putting down your money is to tap or flick each head and listen carefully.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Gretsch Drums Discussion

Kev,,,,...there is a snare/tom head called "modren vintage"sound & feel of calfhead,,,,or along shot at a "performance 2,,,,i've said it before,,,
    i was a remo coated emporer addict before i went "aquarian"...da vintage heads are great and close to dat
    calfskin feel" not an all purpose choice like "super 2's" but they do have their place in our world,,,if dats what ya hear in yer head..

let us know how yer search goes,,,,cuz as does da drumhead...
    "happiness runs runs in a circular motion...."(DONOVAN)
    Last edited by PHROGGE; 01-02-2010 at 05:54 PM.
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Greetings folks. I am new to the forum and seeing your thread on Gretsch drums I felt I needed to post. Being an older guy and playing for about 40 years (21 years as a professional) I recently purchased a used Renown Purewood Cherry Wood kit for a song. The set is was only played once and is immaculate, and included a Gibraltar V rack. It looks just like kit in their '05catalogue.

Having never owned a Gretsch kit before I was pretty excited about hearing them, and when I went to the guys' house and played them I was blown away. I have at one time or another played just about every brand drum out there and was/am very impressed with these drums. I can't find much information about them. None for sale on Ebay, not much talk about them on discussion threads and very little talk about them anywhere. Am I to asume that folks are buying these kits and just hanging onto them? I know I am.

I have a classic Tama Superstar kit that I hung onto from the old pro days and figured if I ever played again I would just play them. But after playing these drums for over a month I am again excited about playing. The main reason I quit playing professionally in '93 was because the "magic" was gone. I have still played most weekends until about 2 years ago and now look forward to playing again. I just wanted to let folks know that Gretsch has given me new life about playing. If anyone has more info about these drums I would welcome it. Thanks for listening.

User Info Menu

That's awesome Drbrink. I was in a phase where all I owned was a Yamaha DTXplorer electronic kit for a while due to living in an apartment. When I re-entered the acoustic drum world I researched and went with a Gretsch Catalina Maple kit. Loved 'em. I upgraded to a Gretsch Renown maple 7 piece last fall and I'm in love. I'm more inspired than ever as a drummer!
    Kits
    DW Performance(white marine): 8x7/10x8/12x9/16x14/22x18
    Mapex Saturn III(transparent walnut): 10x8/12x9/16x16/22x18/14x5.5

Snares
    Pork Pie 14x7 Cherry/Bubinga
    Pork Pie 14x6.5 Big Black Bob
    Mapex Saturn 14x5.5 Maple/Walnut
    Homemade 14x5.5 Maple(10 ply Keller)

Cymbals
    Sabian
    14" AA regular hats
    10" AAX splash
    16" AAX Xplosion fast crash
    18" AAX Xplosion fash crash
    16" HH thin crash
    20" HHX stage ride

User Info Menu

Unbelievable addition! I just picked up a Renown Maple Tom in Autumn Burst for $75. It was a solo piece that the local store had and he wanted to clear his inventory for end of the year.

I didn't think it would match well with my Walnut Glaze Jazz kit, but I was mistaken. Let me know what you think. It tunes just a bit lower than my kit 12", so from a sound perspective it works also.

I can see now why everyone loves their Renowns and I will move in that direction also in the future.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    STACK57

Any man who may be asked in this century, what he did to make his life worthwhile...
    Can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy".
    -- President John F. Kennedy

Gretsch Renown 57 and Renowns in Cherry Burst
    Noble & Cooley CD Maple kit and Horizon Hybrid kit
    Gretsch, Noble & Cooley, Pearl, Ludwig and Slingerland Snares
    Bosphorus & Zildjian Cymbals
    Gilbraltar Hardware

User Info Menu

Congrats. Glad you like it, Stacks.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Congrats, nice find!

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drbrink View Post
    Greetings folks. I am new to the forum and seeing your thread on Gretsch drums I felt I needed to post. Being an older guy and playing for about 40 years (21 years as a professional) I recently purchased a used Renown Purewood Cherry Wood kit for a song. The set is was only played once and is immaculate, and included a Gibraltar V rack. It looks just like kit in their '05catalogue.

Having never owned a Gretsch kit before I was pretty excited about hearing them, and when I went to the guys' house and played them I was blown away. I have at one time or another played just about every brand drum out there and was/am very impressed with these drums. I can't find much information about them. None for sale on Ebay, not much talk about them on discussion threads and very little talk about them anywhere. Am I to asume that folks are buying these kits and just hanging onto them? I know I am.

I have a classic Tama Superstar kit that I hung onto from the old pro days and figured if I ever played again I would just play them. But after playing these drums for over a month I am again excited about playing. The main reason I quit playing professionally in '93 was because the "magic" was gone. I have still played most weekends until about 2 years ago and now look forward to playing again. I just wanted to let folks know that Gretsch has given me new life about playing. If anyone has more info about these drums I would welcome it. Thanks for listening.
    Welcome to Drum Chat drbrink!

How cool that the spark has been rekindled by Gretsch. You should definitely email customer service and let them know. When you get a chance, post some pics of that kit in the "Show Us Your Drums" thread. It's nice to have another seasoned professional around here!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by STACK57 View Post
    Unbelievable addition! I just picked up a Renown Maple Tom in Autumn Burst for $75. It was a solo piece that the local store had and he wanted to clear his inventory for end of the year.

I didn't think it would match well with my Walnut Glaze Jazz kit, but I was mistaken. Let me know what you think. It tunes just a bit lower than my kit 12", so from a sound perspective it works also.

I can see now why everyone loves their Renowns and I will move in that direction also in the future.
    Very nice Stack57! Are we seeing the beginnings of an 8 piece monster kit?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Very nice Stack57! Are we seeing the beginnings of an 8 piece monster kit?
    Not sure PB, I am sure that if all Renown sound as good as this one Tom then that is where I am headed somewhere in the future.

I am amazed at the differences between the Catalina Jazz 12" and the Renown. It really adds to the kit, and when I put the 10" on a seperate mount it should really shine.
    STACK57

Any man who may be asked in this century, what he did to make his life worthwhile...
    Can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy".
    -- President John F. Kennedy

Gretsch Renown 57 and Renowns in Cherry Burst
    Noble & Cooley CD Maple kit and Horizon Hybrid kit
    Gretsch, Noble & Cooley, Pearl, Ludwig and Slingerland Snares
    Bosphorus & Zildjian Cymbals
    Gilbraltar Hardware

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by STACK57 View Post

Wow, that was a real find, well done!
    I paid $290 just for a 7x8 to add to my Renown kit last year, while to have an out of stock colour made to order, was going to be wallet busting $1050, just for a 7x8!!

The AB colour blends nicely in you kit as well.
    PROUD TO BE ENDORSED BY DUALLIST PEDALS
    Drums: Phil Collins Pearl DLX | Pink Floyd DW Exotic Bird's Eye | Natal Bubinga Custom Fusion | Cymbals: DIRIL & UFIPeDrums: 2Box DrumIt 5
    BACK BEATING DRUMMING BLOG ||| PINK FLOYD DW KIT ||| PHIL COLLINS PEARL KIT
    www.graham-collins.com/drummer ||| www.pinkfloyddrums.com ||| PHIL COLLINS PEARL KIT

User Info Menu

Hello everyone - i have been reading the forum for a few weeks now and just got registered.I have just this week traded in an old Pearl Export drumset as a p/ex on two Ufip cymbals to go with my Gretsch kit.I am building my kit as a wee tribute to Charlie Watts as i really love his playing.

Okay so i promise to upload a wee picture of my kit in the near future.You wont be disapointed!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by redprince View Post
    Hello everyone - i have been reading the forum for a few weeks now and just got registered.I have just this week traded in an old Pearl Export drumset as a p/ex on two Ufip cymbals to go with my Gretsch kit.I am building my kit as a wee tribute to Charlie Watts as i really love his playing.

Okay so i promise to upload a wee picture of my kit in the near future.You wont be disapointed!
    Welcome to the forum and to the Gretsch family. We all love the pictures.

User Info Menu

I have the 6-piece liquid black catalina ash kit with black nickel hardware. i have had if for about 6 months now and i love it!! looks great and sounds great! i would recommend a gretsch kit to anyone.

My Setup:
    8" tom
    10" tom
    12" tom
    14" snare
    16" floor tom
    22" bass drum
    Zildjian-Gretsch-Remo
    "drumming is about time and I'm still having a good time!"

User Info Menu

meant to post the pic in the previous reply

[IMG][/IMG]
    Zildjian-Gretsch-Remo

User Info Menu

Sounds nice! I love the looks of those kits in the black/black. ^^^

User Info Menu

oh its definitely pretty!!i cant get enough of it. although my gal friends are like " why couldnt you have gotten a girly one?"
    Zildjian-Gretsch-Remo

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by little_a View Post
    oh its definitely pretty!!i cant get enough of it. although my gal friends are like " why couldnt you have gotten a girly one?"
    Well, I take it you are a female then..?

I love Gretsch drums!

I just ordered a Catalina Club Jazz in Walnut glaze today!
    Picking it up when my tax returns reach my bank account in 2 weeks!

User Info Menu

yes yes i am a female. i think you will be quite happy with your gretsch kit! happy playing!
    Last edited by little_a; 01-16-2010 at 04:30 PM. Reason: spelled wrong
    Zildjian-Gretsch-Remo

User Info Menu

yes yes i am a female. i think you will be quite happy with your gretsch kit! happy playing!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by redprince View Post

Welcome to Drum Chat redprince! Good choice to hang onto the Gretsch kit!

meant to post the pic in the previous reply

[IMG][/IMG]
    little a, that Gretsch Catalina Ash kit looks great, and it's nice to have another female drummer among us!

Quote Originally Posted by drumhedd View Post
    Well, I take it you are a female then..?

I love Gretsch drums!

I just ordered a Catalina Club Jazz in Walnut glaze today!
    Picking it up when my tax returns reach my bank account in 2 weeks!

drumhead, that Catalina Club Jazz kit looks great in the Walnut Glaze finish!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Welcome to Drum Chat redprince! Good choice to hang onto the Gretsch kit!

little a, that Gretsch Catalina Ash kit looks great, and it's nice to have another female drummer among us!

drumhead, that Catalina Club Jazz kit looks great in the Walnut Glaze finish!
    hmm i guess it's not a boys only treehouse anymore eh? sweet kit by the way
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

haha not quite! i have been drumming for about 9ys now and i have loved every minute of it and i have to tell you when i see peoples reaction when i play is priceless. i think its because im a female drummer. i love surprising people
    Zildjian-Gretsch-Remo