Page 71 of 124 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381121 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,775 of 3092

Thread: Gretsch Drums Discussion

User Info Menu

Default Re: Gretsch Drums Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by weebrad View Post
    Thank you for all the replies, I currently have a beginner kit that, after experimenting with duct tape, cloth, tissues, paper, etc, now has a sound that i can bear with for now, i want my next kit to last me a long time so i think thats im better off saving some more and getting some catalinas, thanks again.
    Good call, the Cat’s are great drums. Well worth the wait. Learn not to use the tissue and duct tape and let the Cat’s (when you get them) sing. Enjoy their tone and all they have to offer.
    Now playing Gretsch and Slingerland Drums

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rritter View Post
    Learn not to use the tissue and duct tape and let the Cat’s (when you get them) sing. Enjoy their tone and all they have to offer.
    Thanks, yh my current set as I said is pretty poor, with even worse heads, so I think that could be one of the reasons for their shocking sound, and I've played some catalinas and they sounded great with nothing at all on the heads, so fingers crossed I can save the money and have a kit that I can post on this thread

User Info Menu

I have a Gretsch New Classic Kit, with an 18inch bass drum. It's nice having such a compact kit but I wouldn't mind having a fuller warmer bass sound, my bass sound is too slappy at the moment without any warmth. Does anyone have any tips on how to get a fuller kick drum sound?

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat marianancy!

I have no experience with the club sized bass drums, so I can't give any relevant advise. I do know that there are plenty of folks with the Catalina Club kits, so there should be some advice coming your way. Gretsch New Classic kit huh? Very nice! Be saure and post a picture of that kit. We love looking at nice kits.

Again, welcome.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Thankyou Pastor Bob, yeah I have noticed there are a few owners of the Catalina Club around the forums, hopefully I will be able to get some feedback!!

I will definitely be putting photos of my kit up soon

User Info Menu

Welcome to the neighborhood MariaNancy, congrats on the Gretsch kit. I think you will find it does very nicely. I have the Jazz Club kit with 18" kick and am getting a good bottom end punch that is direct without a lot of over tones. I have the reso head loose compared to the batter with a small pillow in the bottom and in small venues it sounds very good. Now you will not get that bottom end of a 22" like on the Renowns but it serves the purpose. I will take some drumdial readings and pass those on to you.
    STACK57

Any man who may be asked in this century, what he did to make his life worthwhile...
    Can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy".
    -- President John F. Kennedy

Gretsch Renown 57 and Renowns in Cherry Burst
    Noble & Cooley CD Maple kit and Horizon Hybrid kit
    Gretsch, Noble & Cooley, Pearl, Ludwig and Slingerland Snares
    Bosphorus & Zildjian Cymbals
    Gilbraltar Hardware

User Info Menu

New photo of me my 58 Gretsch kit.
    This was taken Sept 4

I don't think I will ever have a nicer Gretsch kit than this one.....I have to pinch myself to see if I'm awake & not dreaming everytime I sit behind these. After all these years it's still hard to believe these are actually mine.
    It's one "Killer" sounding kit.......looks not too shabby as well.

I'm very happy to share with all of you Gretsch fans out there

Gary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kona View Post
    New photo of me my 58 Gretsch kit.
    This was taken Sept 4

I don't think I will ever have a nicer Gretsch kit than this one.....I have to pinch myself to see if I'm awake & not dreaming everytime I sit behind these. After all these years it's still hard to believe these are actually mine.
    It's one "Killer" sounding kit.......looks not too shabby as well.

I'm very happy to share with all of you Gretsch fans out there

very sweet! Does that kick drum have a tone control knob on it? How 'bout s'more pics of your Renown Purewood kit?
    Drums... That's how I roll!

http://facebook.com/davewilson831

The Gretsch Drums Woodshed

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marianancy View Post
    I have a Gretsch New Classic Kit, with an 18inch bass drum. It's nice having such a compact kit but I wouldn't mind having a fuller warmer bass sound, my bass sound is too slappy at the moment without any warmth. Does anyone have any tips on how to get a fuller kick drum sound?
    I played an 18" kick for a decade or so and was finally able to get a good sound after trying many things. I settled on this - Remo Powerstroke on the batter (or any head with an extra tone control ring) and a Fiberskyn on the resonant head with no port hole and nothing in the drum. The tuning was finger tight plus a 1/4 turn on the resonant and finger plus 1/2 turn on the batter. I put a sure beta 52 mic about 3" from the resonant head, dead center. I got a really nice punch thud, but it was not very deep. I tried this on both a birch and mahogany drum and it worked for both. My theory is the smaller the drum, the less muffling you want, as that will decrease volume as well as overtones. I know some of the guys here have used the EMAD combo on the CatJazz 18" drums and were happy with it as well.

User Info Menu

Kona, the only word that comes to mind is WOW!. That is one beautiful kit and I can see why you consider yourself so lucky. I am also impressed with your drum room. Thanks for posting the pic.
    STACK57

Any man who may be asked in this century, what he did to make his life worthwhile...
    Can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy".
    -- President John F. Kennedy

Gretsch Renown 57 and Renowns in Cherry Burst
    Noble & Cooley CD Maple kit and Horizon Hybrid kit
    Gretsch, Noble & Cooley, Pearl, Ludwig and Slingerland Snares
    Bosphorus & Zildjian Cymbals
    Gilbraltar Hardware

User Info Menu

That's great help ShaneRoney, thanks so much!
    I'm also thinking of cutting a hole in my bass drum, one of my friends suggested tracing around a cd and then cutting that, but I'm not sure if this is the best option because of my bass drum kick being quite small? I don't want the hole to be too large.

Kona, that is amazing!! How many snares do you have?! I would love to own half the amount of snares that you have one day :D

User Info Menu

Yes - that Tone Control knob operates the Jimmy Pratt BD tone control system (felt strip tightens against the batter head). It was invented by Mr. Pratt in the early 50's.

Quote Originally Posted by davewilson View Post
    very sweet! Does that kick drum have a tone control knob on it?
    Gary

User Info Menu

Here is a picture of my Gretsch New Classic.

User Info Menu

Thanks.
    I haulled all these drums up from the real Drum Room (downstairs) for the photo op........better lighting & just a good change. This is one end of our livingroom. My wife was out of town for a couple of days so I took advantage of that. The drums are all back in the dungeon (which is a nice enough room in itself)

Quote Originally Posted by STACK57 View Post
    Kona, the only word that comes to mind is WOW!. That is one beautiful kit and I can see why you consider yourself so lucky. I am also impressed with your drum room. Thanks for posting the pic.
    Gary

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Gretsch Drums Discussion

Kona,

Nice set man ...............congrats you should be proud.
    mlaugh
    I love the look and sound of a quality drum set.
    Gretsch is my choice.

Gretsch Catalina Maple 5pc. in Red Lacquer
    Pearl P 902 double pedal
    Cymbals: Paiste Alpha 21" groove ride, 18" Paiste 3000 medium crash, 16" Paiste Alpha medium crash, 14" Paiste Alpha sound edge hi hats, Sabian Xs20 16" crash
    Hardware: A mix of what works.
    VINTAGE 1979 LUDWIG ACROLITE SNARE DRUM 5 x 14"

VINTAGE 1972 SLINGERLAND COB GENE KRUPA SOUND KING 51/2 x 14"

User Info Menu

MN, that's an awesome kit! Love the White Pearl!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    MN, that's an awesome kit! Love the White Pearl!

Thanks, I love the colour of it. As you can see I don't have hi-hats at the moment, I just sold my Sabian XS hi-hats and I think I'm going to get the Bosphorus Master series to match with my crash and ride, because I'm really happy with the sound of them.

User Info Menu

MN, maybe you could give us a review of those hats when you get them. I don't know much about the Bosphorus cymbals.

User Info Menu

I usually don't like white pearl, but with those tube lugs that looks really cool.

User Info Menu

FYI...

If anyone is about to pull the trigger on a drum kit, MF has last year's model of Cat Maples for $599.

I know I was reading this forum a lot before purchasing my kit and becoming a member.

User Info Menu

marianancy! That is one elegant classy drum kit! I like very much!

Gary

User Info Menu

Very Nice, Indeed !

User Info Menu

Hi Marianancy. All I can say is WOW! That is one lovely set.

There is no reason you can't get a good sound from an 18 bass drum. Just takes some experimentation. I use mine all the time for country rock type music. Of course it gets help from a bass drum mic thru the PA.

The best way to make a reso hole is this: heat a metal jar lid on the element of your stove. Very carefully, using hot mitts, press onto the head (removed) on a flat surface. It should create a perfect circular hole and melts the plastic in a way that strengthens the edge. Cutting with a knife leaves the edge suseptible to tearing I find, and unless you are a perfect cutter, the hole is less than perfect.

For a 18, I would say no bigger around than the mouth of a coffee mug.

all the best..
    Last edited by kay-gee; 10-05-2010 at 09:03 AM.

User Info Menu

Kona, I love that picture...everything in that room says....DRUMMER CAVE!
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Hi Marianancy. All I can say is WOW! That is one lovely set.

There is no reason you can't get a good sound from an 18 bass drum. Just takes some experimentation. I use mine all the time for country rock type music. Of course it gets help from a bass drum mic thru the PA.

The best way to make a reso hole is this: heat a metal jar lid on the element of your stove. Very carefully, using hot mitts, press onto the head (removed) on a flat surface. It should create a perfect circular hole and melts the plastic in a way that strengthens the edge. Cutting with a knife leaves the edge suseptible to tearing I find, and unless you are a perfect cutter, the hole is less than perfect.

For a 18, I would say no bigger around than the mouth of a coffee mug.

all the best..
    Thanks kay-gee, that helps alot.
    I have looked up how to melt a tin for a bass drum head on youtube, i hadn't heard of it before you mentioned it! I'll have a little bit more of a look on it and see how I go. I'll have to search around for a tin the size of a coffee mug.

Thanks again for your help!