Page 72 of 124 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482122 ... LastLast
Results 1,776 to 1,800 of 3092

Thread: Gretsch Drums Discussion

User Info Menu

Default Re: Gretsch Drums Discussion

A little while back, I experimented with my Black Cats by putting the GTS mounts on the bottom of the toms (post #1675, pg 67 of this thread). I actually discovered a practically in doing this.

After that post, I experimented with putting the GTS back on top for the 12", to see if the toms could sit closer together. That didn't help, but I just left it like it was.

However, I recently mic'd my kit. The tom mics I have clip onto the hoops. With the GTS on the top, I wasn't able to attach the mic because the GTS was in the way. With the suspension mounted on the bottom, no problem. So now my GTS on my 12" will be going back on the bottom.

User Info Menu

Regarding the sound of an 18" bass drum, I just bought a new Cat Club kit, and with an EMAD batter (the original single ply model) and a 4" port cut in the reso head, I'm getting a great low-end thump and some sustain as well. In a small room, it's perfect. In larger or outdoor applications, it has to be mic’ed of course. But, for me at least, the weight and size advantage of the 18” is NOT outweighed (no pun intended) by the difference in sound of a similarly set up 22" or 24" drum...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jivey View Post
    Regarding the sound of an 18" bass drum, I just bought a new Cat Club kit, and with an EMAD batter (the original single ply model) and a 4" port cut in the reso head, I'm getting a great low-end thump and some sustain as well. In a small room, it's perfect. In larger or outdoor applications, it has to be mic’ed of course. But, for me at least, the weight and size advantage of the 18” is NOT outweighed (no pun intended) by the difference in sound of a similarly set up 22" or 24" drum...
    Awesome Jivey Welcome to DrumChat!

User Info Menu

Thanks for the welcome late8!

Yeah, I'm lovin the little Cat Jazz kit - they sound great and are fun to play. I just recieved a set of Humes & Berg bags made for this kit from Steve Weiss Music. Can't wait to use them this weekend!

*Sorry Jivey, but the Forum Rules prohibit links to retail sites (commercial links). - PB*

User Info Menu

Sorry 'bout that Pastor Bob - no harm intended

User Info Menu

I just wanted to say thanks to the great people on this site and thread. Even in my lack of wisdom and knowledge in drums I knew I wanted my first kit to be Gretsch. When someone on here said they there the Rolls Royce of drums I knew quality meant more to me than anything. I looked at hundreds of sets online and in person for months but settled on the very first set I saw - Cat Ash. I saw alot of kits with all the bells and whistles but I kept coming back to the basic Cat kit. I am so proud of myself for buying them and not something else. Thanks guys I am still learning to play and I must admit sometimes I just stand and stare at them. I can't believe they are mine. Cheers
    Gretsch Catalina Ash Cobalt blue 6 peice
    8" 10" 12" floating toms - factory Gretsch heads
    14" floor tom - factory Gretsch heads
    18"X22" bass - factory Gretsch heads
    14" 10-ply maple snare - Evans Dry Coated on snare
    14" Ziljdan ZBT high hats
    20" Ziljdan ZBT ride/crash
    18" Ziljdan ZBT crash
    16" Ziljdan ZBT crash
    12" Sabian B8 splash
    Dixen cymbal stands and pedals
    Rhythem Tech Tambourine
    Dampners - Evans Min Emads

User Info Menu

Really glad to hear that you are excited by your Cat Ash kit! I really do think that Gretsch hit a home run with their Catalina series. Not that there aren't other excellent drums out there, but to balance price with quality the way they did was quite an achievement.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Recently put down payment on this beauty. I have no need of another set. But sometimes I fall victim to some of my baser instincts.

User Info Menu

Beautiful kit, Slade, you will love those. Jivey, you will never regret getting those jazz cats. I absolutely love mine. Your right, they are so much fun to play. Cool that you got the bags for them. Take care of them and they will take care of you.

User Info Menu

Those look amazing! Congratulations Slade!
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Well, Slade I can certainly see why.

I have that same problem. I've learned to stay away from the stores.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Beautiful New Classics Slade! Congrats! If you have to fall prey to your baser instincts, you could sure do a lot worse.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Well, Slade I can certainly see why.

I have that same problem. I've learned to stay away from the stores.
    its kinda hard when i work there

I didn't get bags for them, but interestingly enough, the sizes are the exact same as my current kit, for which i have hard cases. So the Yammies can stay at home and the New Classics can come out and play .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SladeGT40 View Post
    its kinda hard when i work there

I didn't get bags for them, but interestingly enough, the sizes are the exact same as my current kit, for which i have hard cases. So the Yammies can stay at home and the New Classics can come out and play .
    IC, yes, that would make it rather difficult.

Glad the cases work out. That's convenient.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Recently put down payment on this beauty. I have no need of another set. But sometimes I fall victim to some of my baser instincts.

Nice set...................I want one.
    I love the look and sound of a quality drum set.
    Gretsch is my choice.

Gretsch Catalina Maple 5pc. in Red Lacquer
    Pearl P 902 double pedal
    Cymbals: Paiste Alpha 21" groove ride, 18" Paiste 3000 medium crash, 16" Paiste Alpha medium crash, 14" Paiste Alpha sound edge hi hats, Sabian Xs20 16" crash
    Hardware: A mix of what works.
    VINTAGE 1979 LUDWIG ACROLITE SNARE DRUM 5 x 14"

VINTAGE 1972 SLINGERLAND COB GENE KRUPA SOUND KING 51/2 x 14"

User Info Menu

One of the major reasons I pulled the trigger on it was that I was led to believe that this color and configuration was discontinued. Not sure of the reaction I'm going to get, but I plan on drilling the bassdrum and adding a yamaha mount so I can have more options. I prefer a mount on the drum even though it seems a shame to ruin the uniformity in the shell.

I'm gonna do it anyway

User Info Menu

Very nice drums!
    I would NOT drill the bd. Why mess with perfection You may not think much about it now but - in the future - drilling the bd may come back to haunt you. I hear it all the time = "doh.....I wish I did not do that." Just saying.......and it's only MHO.
    You have some beautiful drums there.........naked bass drums are soooo nice!

Congratulations!

One of the major reasons I pulled the trigger on it was that I was led to believe that this color and configuration was discontinued. Not sure of the reaction I'm going to get, but I plan on drilling the bassdrum and adding a yamaha mount so I can have more options. I prefer a mount on the drum even though it seems a shame to ruin the uniformity in the shell.

I'm gonna do it anyway
    Gary

User Info Menu

I like the way the suspension mounts are held up- looks like it's by the lug and not the tension rod. Perhaps so the user doesn't have to take the drum off the rack/stand to change or retune heads, a real plus if you're in a hurry or lazy. My toms are done similarly, but it looks like those toms are more advanced and use both top and bottom lugs for more support. Truly an excellent set of drums, and a level of detail and craftsmanship i've never seen before.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Hey,

I was looking for some thoughts on Gretsch Blackhawk series. I am thinking about a purchase but I was curious about the sound and quality.

cheers

User Info Menu

Catou, personally I think there are better options in that same price range, such as the new Tama Swingstar's.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by catou View Post
    Hey,

I was looking for some thoughts on Gretsch Blackhawk series. I am thinking about a purchase but I was curious about the sound and quality.

cheers
    I suggest you skip the Blackhawks and look into the Catalina series. Sound and quality on the Blackhawks is pretty much along the lines of Pulse, Sound Percussion, Ddrum D2's...etc. (most of the extreme low end are pretty much the same).
    There are some good deals/rebates on the Catalina series at the moment and they are a huge jump in quality for a small bump in price.
    Drums... That's how I roll!

http://facebook.com/davewilson831

The Gretsch Drums Woodshed

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by catou View Post
    Hey,

cheers
    Hi Catou,

Check Craigslist. Many drummers start out with Catalina's and sell them still in good condition when they decide to move up to better drums. Catalina's are great drums and as has been said they are several levels above the Blackhawks at darn near the same price (used).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kona View Post
    Very nice drums!
    I would NOT drill the bd. Why mess with perfection You may not think much about it now but - in the future - drilling the bd may come back to haunt you. I hear it all the time = "doh.....I wish I did not do that." Just saying.......and it's only MHO.
    You have some beautiful drums there.........naked bass drums are soooo nice!

Congratulations!
    Thanks for the advice. I plan on taking delivery and setting up once to see what I'd like. I have a feeling since im planning on mainly using it as a 4-piece that I will want the ability to bring only one stand in addition to my hi-hat stand, while maintaining proper positioning of the tom. With a Yamaha TH-904 and some boom arms I can get two additional cymbals and the 12" tom.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Armstrong View Post
    Hi Catou,

Check Craigslist. Many drummers start out with Catalina's and sell them still in good condition when they decide to move up to better drums. Catalina's are great drums and as has been said they are several levels above the Blackhawks at darn near the same price (used).
    If you are staying with Gretsch, then +1 to used Cats. There are a variety of models as well, not just maples. Used Catalina Birch and Ash kits tend to be less $ than the Maple kits.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat.

You should go pester, Pastor_Bob.

He's got some Cats that should be on the market so he can get himself a new kit.
    Signature here