Page 123 of 124 FirstFirst ... 2373113121122123124 LastLast
Results 3,051 to 3,075 of 3092

Thread: Gretsch Drums Discussion

User Info Menu

Default Re: Gretsch Drums Discussion

Is there anybody that has a doublebass Gretsch kit?
    Looking to buy a Renown or (if the moneygods are with me) a Brooklyn kit.
    System of Power

User Info Menu

I custom ordered a Gretsch USA Custom kit today. Seafoam Green Gloss Lacquer. Gretsch said there is a 15 week lead time. So I’m not expecting to get the drums until end of Jan 2021. I love the color. The shell pack I ordered is a 7 x 10, 8 x 12 rack toms, 14 x 14, 15 x 15, 16 x 16 floor toms, 16 x 22 bass drum, and a 6.5 x 14 chrome over brass snare drum.

50195F88-1B42-42D9-97C7-93B0A890FBCA.jpg
    R.I.P.
    1. Apollo in Natural Wood - 5 pc
    2. Ludwig Blue/Green Badge in Chrome over Maple - 7 pc
    3. Simmons SDS - 5 pc
    4. Tama Superstar Double Bass in Cherrywine Stain - 9 pc
    5. Pearl Export Double Bass in Wine Red - 9 pc
    6. Tama Rockstar Double Bass in Purple Wrap - 10 pc
    7. Mapex Orion Classic in Birdseye Maple with Gold Hardware - 6 pc
    8. DW Collectors in Red Sparkle Wrap with Gold Hardware - 8 pc
    9. Mapex Pro M in Purple Stain - 5 pc
    10. DDrum in Orange Vistalite - 4 pc
    11. Mapex Meridian in Satin Maple - 4 pc
    12. Mapex Pro M in Crimson Swirl - 5 pc
    13. Mapex Saturn in Wax Natural Maple - 6 pc
    14. PDP Concept Maple in Blue Sparkle - 7 pc
    15. Mapex Saturn in Purple Sparkle - 8 pc
    16. Mapex Saturn in Satin Mapa Burl - 8 pc
    17. Gretsch USA Custom in Savannah Sunset Duco - 9 pc
    18. DW Collectors in Broken Glass - 9 pc
    19. DW Collectors in Ruby Glass - 9 pc

Current Kit
    20. Ludwig Classic Maple in Vintage White Marine - 6 pc

On Order
    21. DW Collectors in Candy Blue Azure Burst Over Exotic Mapa Burl - 7 pc

User Info Menu

As I can see by your list of past kits, you know what you are doing.
    You have ordered an awesome shell pack; I've had mine since 1977 and will never let it go.
    We have so much in common..........I even made the same Simmons SDS mistake !
    Congratulations -- and welcome back to Gretsch USA.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Ricardo,

As much as i love the drumkits i've owned in the past i love the history and nostalgia of Gretsch. I love the 30 degree bearing edges and i love their hoops and hardware. Yeah the Simmons mistake was just a sign of the times. LOL
    R.I.P.
    3. Simmons SDS - 5 pc

Current Kit

On Order

User Info Menu

Anyone know if this is a catalina or a Nighthawk? Guy is selling em local and says they are catalina's but is not 100% sure if maple or birch. I think they could very well be nighthawks too because no bdages and black lugs? But I am not a gretsch guy at all.
    gretsch.jpg
    gretsch 3.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I'm no expert on Gretsch but I've never seen a set with off-set lugs like that one.

That seems more like OC or some other fluff brand.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I'm no expert on Gretsch but I've never seen a set with off-set lugs like that one.

That seems more like OC or some other fluff brand.
    Thanks, That is exactly what I was thinking. I don't want to offend the guy as he sells alot of drum gear around here but I am pretty sure that is not a catalina.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Of course then again, here's a candidate....

Gretschoffsetlugs.jpg
    Signature here

User Info Menu

My guess...
    12" MT
    13" Snare
    14" FT
    20x?" BD
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by iNDiGLo View Post
    I custom ordered a Gretsch USA Custom kit today. Seafoam Green Gloss Lacquer. Gretsch said there is a 15 week lead time. So I’m not expecting to get the drums until end of Jan 2021. I love the color. The shell pack I ordered is a 7 x 10, 8 x 12 rack toms, 14 x 14, 15 x 15, 16 x 16 floor toms, 16 x 22 bass drum, and a 6.5 x 14 chrome over brass snare drum.

50195F88-1B42-42D9-97C7-93B0A890FBCA.jpg
    So...any word yet?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Of course then again, here's a candidate....

Gretschoffsetlugs.jpg
    ahhh I found it I think your right. It is a catalina club with Mahogany wood. Looks like he removed the wrap. You da man
    Last edited by MDK; 05-03-2021 at 01:24 PM.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

I will say he did a nice job on refinishing. Badgeless and air hole grommetless doesn't help the appearance however. Even just the air hole grommets would help. They were probably destroyed in the mod. I'd say if the price is right and you aren't looking at resale, it could be a good rehearsal/back stage add-on kit.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I will say he did a nice job on refinishing. Badgeless and air hole grommetless doesn't help the appearance however. Even just the air hole grommets would help. They were probably destroyed in the mod. I'd say if the price is right and you aren't looking at resale, it could be a good rehearsal/back stage add-on kit.
    Yeah thats what I am thinking too, he wants $200 and I would just use them as a practice kit, maybe rewrap em but not sure I want to spend the $200 on them. If they had the badges that would enhance it alot but those are tough to find and too pricey when you do.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Yeah thats what I am thinking too, he wants $200 and I would just use them as a practice kit, maybe rewrap em but not sure I want to spend the $200 on them. If they had the badges that would enhance it alot but those are tough to find and too pricey when you do.
    For $200.00 I can see why you showed interest. Heck, I'd go for it. They don't look half bad, as is. If they sound decent how can you go wrong?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

So...any word yet?
    Bish,

I ended up cancelling the order after 3 month and no movement on the order. I've been playing my Ludwig kit. But just today i ordered a new DW Collector Series - Candy Blue Azure Burst Over Exotic Mapa Burl. DW said 22-24 weeks lead time. So i probably won't get it until January of 2022. :( You know me, i'm all over the place with drums. But this is my DREAM kit.
    R.I.P.
    3. Simmons SDS - 5 pc

Current Kit

On Order

User Info Menu

I have a Catalina Mini mod Black Widow kit that was made for the last 2 years before DW stepped in and yes my lugs are offset lol.DSC02223.jpgDSC02233.jpg

User Info Menu

It's been a while since I last posted. Moved in with my mom after she fell and broke her L3 back in August. She's in a nursing home and it doesn't look like she's coming back home. At 90 years old, she's barely hanging on. Cleared out the spare bedroom and made it my practice room. I'll eventually take over the house (4 bedroom 2.5 bath two story 2220 sq feet) and call it my home. After my second divorce, this is a welcome event since I was stuck in a one bedroom 720 sq ft apartment for the last three years. I had to sell my USA Customs after I moved out in 2018 in order to put food on the table but I'm in a better place mentally and got a promotion as a manger at work so things are looking up. Got back into Gretsch kits.

1st new kit in over 10 years. This kit is set up at the home studio of my recording partner who is a singer/songwriter. We have been recording his original material for the last nine years and it's been a great partnership. We are looking to upgrade the DAW soon but currently using an outdated Roland 2480 with 16 tracks (10 tracks on drums) to record.

Gretsch Broadkaster in Chestnut duco - 16x20, 8x12, 14x14, 16x16 and the snare is my favorite Ludwig LM402 Superphonic 6.5x14

Cymbals are from left to right: 14" K Custom Special Dry Hihats, 16" K Custom Dark Crash, 10" K splash, 18" K Custom Special Dry Crash, 22" Zildjian Constantinople Med Low ride, 18" Kerope Crash, 16" K Custom Dry crash

User Info Menu

It's never too late(8) to come back to your family. We've missed you man! You've always been such a nice guy, very helpful to everyone here, and of course, a drum brother.

Sorry to hear of your mom and your other challenges. Life can be very difficult sometimes. But it always seems to come back around and I'm glad to hear of your promotion and new ventures.

Beautiful kit. I love that finish!

User Info Menu

Second kit I recently invested in is another Gretsch Broadkaster. Found a great used deal in a re-issue vintage build. Not going to use the rail consolette. The vintage bass drum spurs I thought would be problematic but they were easy to set up. I never like how the rail positioned the high rack tom on the vintage kits. I'm going with R.I.M.S mount from Gauger Industries as shown in this pic. The R.I.M.S mount for the 13" tom is on its way. Will use stands at home and leave the rack at the home studio.

Gretsch Broadkaster in Rosewood Gloss: 16x22, 9x12, (9x13 not shown) 16x16, 16x18, 6.5x14 Ludwig LM402 snare

Current cymbal set up at home will change to the same set up at the home studio but for now I'm using the following:

left to right:

14" K Custom Dark hats, 16" Zildijan A Custom crash, 10" Sabian AAX splash, 18" K EFX crash, 18" K Custom Dark crash, 14" Sabian HHX Xplosion crash

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    It's never too late(8) to come back to your family. We've missed you man! You've always been such a nice guy, very helpful to everyone here, and of course, a drum brother.

Sorry to hear of your mom and your other challenges. Life can be very difficult sometimes. But it always seems to come back around and I'm glad to hear of your promotion and new ventures.

Beautiful kit. I love that finish!
    Thanks for the "welcome back" Tom. It's good to start posting again. There was so much negativity in my life, especially with my mom. We have been estranged for 10 years. Got a call from the hospital in August wondering if I had a mom that lived in the neighboring county. After thinking about it for a really long time, I came back into the fold and jumped in with both feet to rescue her from the kindness of neighbors and moved her into a board and care and took over the entire estate. Been dealing with a neglected home that is in dire need of upgrades. Upstairs bathtub leaked into the kitchen walls and had to file a homeowner's insurance claim for mom etc. Problems never stop coming up with her home. It's one thing after another but I'm taking everything in stride and enjoying playing at "home" again. My rudiments suffered since I had no place to practice, even with a practice pad, the noise was too much in an apartment. Glad to get my life back.

User Info Menu

So glad to hear everything is going good for you( except your mom) And hey, late, you can get rid of the '8 ball' now!

User Info Menu

Rich !
    Glad to see you back.........I don't post much, but I still check in often.
    Love both the new kits; an old friend of mine has a USA kit in Rosewood..........always beautiful.
    I retired at the end of August, 2019..........then did a 2-year consulting gig.........now I'm free........except I did accept an appointment (as a board member) to our public employees retirement trust.
    Good to hear of your promotion........always stick with your state gig because the retirement benefit is the best thing ever.

I'm still playing with the same band but the gigs have dried up compared to the old days.
    Our main HQ club where we played for years closed down at the Covid break........it had been a continuous operation for 44 years.
    Good luck with the house and the recordings.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Welcome back late8!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by iNDiGLo View Post
    Bish,

I ended up cancelling the order after 3 month and no movement on the order. I've been playing my Ludwig kit. But just today i ordered a new DW Collector Series - Candy Blue Azure Burst Over Exotic Mapa Burl. DW said 22-24 weeks lead time. So i probably won't get it until January of 2022. :( You know me, i'm all over the place with drums. But this is my DREAM kit.
    Yeah, everything is crazy right now. I am seeing lots of 2-22 arrival dates for many things.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    So glad to hear everything is going good for you( except your mom) And hey, late, you can get rid of the '8 ball' now!
    lol!! Thanks for the welcome back! Glad to see you're still here!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Rich !
    Glad to see you back.........I don't post much, but I still check in often.
    Love both the new kits; an old friend of mine has a USA kit in Rosewood..........always beautiful.
    I retired at the end of August, 2019..........then did a 2-year consulting gig.........now I'm free........except I did accept an appointment (as a board member) to our public employees retirement trust.
    Good to hear of your promotion........always stick with your state gig because the retirement benefit is the best thing ever.

I'm still playing with the same band but the gigs have dried up compared to the old days.
    Our main HQ club where we played for years closed down at the Covid break........it had been a continuous operation for 44 years.
    Good luck with the house and the recordings.
    Hey Ricardo! Yep I remember when you retired and hung up the "retired" sign. Gretsch drums was something I truly missed. "That Gretsch Sound" is now back!! I tried using the vintage rail mount but the movement created by the weight of the high tom was too much for me to feel comfortable so I ditched it and have the high tom mounted on a snare stand.

Here's the "driver's seat" view of the Rosewood kit in the studio. I picked up a Tama 1st Chair Ergo throne but found something still lacking so I ordered the Porter/Davies BC2 tactical drum throne. It's supposed to arrive on Friday. I'll post a review in the hardware section after I get it set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    Welcome back late8!
    Thanks Olimpass!! Glad you're still here!!