Drum Domains
Page 122 of 122 FirstFirst ... 2272112120121122
Results 3,026 to 3,034 of 3034

Thread: Gretsch Drums Discussion

User Info Menu

Default Re: Gretsch Drums Discussion

My brother wants to get a new acoustic kit. Hasn't had one in a long while.

Budget is tight so it's between Catalina Club Jazz and Catalina Maple. The Maple is a better "value" in that he can get 5 PC for only a little more than 4 PC Cat Club.

Thoughts? He's leaning towards maple 5 PC with 20" kick.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

I love my Catalina Maples. In my opinion, they are great drums for a great price. My kit is a 6 Piece with a 22" kick. I never have played A Catalina Jazz, so I can't comment on those.

User Info Menu

I got a new snare drum today, I didn't get to play it yet. I'm going to use it on a gig this weekend. I'll give a report after that.

Gretsch USA Custom Solid Maple 6 1/2" X 14".

Gretsch USA Custom olid Maple Snare Drum.jpg
    -Mike

"We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

"Snare drums happen."

User Info Menu

Nice -- IMO all Gretsch USA snares are remarkably good -- I am now playing my third one.
    is that the 6-ply or the single ply ?
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Nice -- IMO all Gretsch USA snares are remarkably good -- I am now playing my third one.
    is that the 6-ply or the single ply ?
    It is the single ply. I am going to order a six ply in the next couple of weeks. I'm going to order in the silver glass finish to match my new kit, it will have a tone control, 42 strand snare wires and a drum key holder. The only detail that I'm undecided about, is what depth to go with. I'm leaning toward traditional a 5" depth for this one. In the future I might also order a matching 6 1/2" deep snare.

I wanted to order at least one matching snare when I ordered the kit, but I was ordering it in January and I wanted to get the order in before the rush of NAMM orders. I didn't have quite the funds to cover the kit and snares as well.
    Last edited by drummer5359; 07-11-2019 at 11:40 PM.
    -Mike

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

"Snare drums happen."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer5359 View Post
    It is the single ply. I am going to order a six ply in the net couple of weeks. I'm going to order in the silver glass finish to match my new kit, it will have a tone control, 42 strand snare wires and a drum key holder. The only detail that I'm undecided about, is what depth to go with.
    Either size will sound great.
    If you have a choice of lightning or micro throw, the new micro is awesome.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    My brother wants to get a new acoustic kit. Hasn't had one in a long while.

Budget is tight so it's between Catalina Club Jazz and Catalina Maple. The Maple is a better "value" in that he can get 5 PC for only a little more than 4 PC Cat Club.

Thoughts? He's leaning towards maple 5 PC with 20" kick.
    So I'm curious which way your brother went. I had a 4 piece 80's Catalina Elite Jazz kit with an 18" kick. I recently let it go in favor of keeping my 6 piece Catalina Maple kit, mainly because I can break it down to a 4 piece, or keep it as a 5 or 6 piece. I just couldn't give up the versatility.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer5359 View Post
    I got a new snare drum today, I didn't get to play it yet. I'm going to use it on a gig this weekend. I'll give a report after that.

Gretsch USA Custom Solid Maple 6 1/2" X 14".

Gretsch USA Custom olid Maple Snare Drum.jpg
    That's a beautiful snare, and being solid maple is awesome.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I stopped by my friendly neighborhood drum shop today. (Pittsburgh Dum Exchange) While I was here I placed an order for a Gretsch USA Custom snare drum. I went with a 5" X 14" with a Lighting throw off, 42 strand snare wires, tone control and drum key holder in the silver glass nitron wrap to match my new kit.

I'm not yet sure of the wait time, but I'm hoping to get it by the end of the year.

On other news, I installed a Remo Vintage Ambassador batter head on my new USA Custom Solid Shell tonight and got it dialed in the way that I want it. I'm going to use it on my gig Saturday night.

:D
    -Mike

"Snare drums happen."