Page 122 of 124 FirstFirst ... 2272112120121122123124 LastLast
Results 3,026 to 3,050 of 3092

Thread: Gretsch Drums Discussion

User Info Menu

Default Re: Gretsch Drums Discussion

I love my Catalina Maples. In my opinion, they are great drums for a great price. My kit is a 6 Piece with a 22" kick. I never have played A Catalina Jazz, so I can't comment on those.

User Info Menu

Nice -- IMO all Gretsch USA snares are remarkably good -- I am now playing my third one.
    is that the 6-ply or the single ply ?
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer5359 View Post
    It is the single ply. I am going to order a six ply in the net couple of weeks. I'm going to order in the silver glass finish to match my new kit, it will have a tone control, 42 strand snare wires and a drum key holder. The only detail that I'm undecided about, is what depth to go with.
    Either size will sound great.
    If you have a choice of lightning or micro throw, the new micro is awesome.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    My brother wants to get a new acoustic kit. Hasn't had one in a long while.

Budget is tight so it's between Catalina Club Jazz and Catalina Maple. The Maple is a better "value" in that he can get 5 PC for only a little more than 4 PC Cat Club.

Thoughts? He's leaning towards maple 5 PC with 20" kick.
    So I'm curious which way your brother went. I had a 4 piece 80's Catalina Elite Jazz kit with an 18" kick. I recently let it go in favor of keeping my 6 piece Catalina Maple kit, mainly because I can break it down to a 4 piece, or keep it as a 5 or 6 piece. I just couldn't give up the versatility.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I got a new snare drum today, I didn't get to play it yet. I'm going to use it on a gig this weekend. I'll give a report after that.

Gretsch USA Custom Solid Maple 6 1/2" X 14".

Attachment 16389
    That's a beautiful snare, and being solid maple is awesome.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Beautiful, as expected..............congratulations.
    I am currently gigging with my third USA snare drum -- it is outstanding in every way.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

I have not been on here recently, and I realized that I had not given an update on the Gretsch USA Custom snare drum that I ordered in July. It arrived in late October, a pretty fast turn around.

Attachment 16607
    Stand up when you are being photographed.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Stand up when you are being photographed.
    That must be what I did wrong! lol.
    -Mike

"We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

"Snare drums happen."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Beautiful, as expected..............congratulations.
    I am currently gigging with my third USA snare drum -- it is outstanding in every way.
    Thank you. What Gretsch USA snare drums are you using?
    -Mike

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

"Snare drums happen."

User Info Menu

Thank you. What Gretsch USA snare drums are you using?
    The first was a 1954 Round Badge (3 ply) maple WMP..............maybe the best snare I've ever played.
    I sold it back to the original owner because he found a near-match kit.............otherwise I would have never let it go.

The second was a COB G4160..............I sold it to a collector in NYC..............he just had to have it because it had the (seldom used) Drop-G badge and he needed it to fill out a collection.

My third is the favorite and one I'm playing now............in 2017, I ordered the G4169B:
    6.5X14 Bronze with the new micro throw and the 42-strand snare wires............a 20-lugger............awesome drum.

IMG_0625.jpg

20170620_161719.jpg

20171012_170328.jpg
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

The first was a 1954 Round Badge (3 ply) maple WMP..............maybe the best snare I've ever played.
    I sold it back to the original owner because he found a near-match kit.............otherwise I would have never let it go.

The second was a COB G4160..............I sold it to a collector in NYC..............he just had to have it because it had the (seldom used) Drop-G badge and he needed it to fill out a collection.

My third is the favorite and one I'm playing now............in 2017, I ordered the G4169B:
    6.5X14 Bronze with the new micro throw and the 42-strand snare wires............a 20-lugger............awesome drum.

IMG_0625.jpg

20170620_161719.jpg

20171012_170328.jpg
    Very nice! I recently realized that I currently have more Gretsch snare drums than any other brand. They build great drums.
    -Mike

"Snare drums happen."

User Info Menu

IMG_0625.jpg

20170620_161719.jpg

20171012_170328.jpg
    All three of those snares are beautiful, but the new bronze 20-lugger really rings my bell. I would love to be able to afford one of those.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    All three of those snares are beautiful, but the new bronze 20-lugger really rings my bell. I would love to be able to afford one of those.

GeeDeeEmm
    Thanks GDM..............below is the Gretsch marketing photo.................

G4169B[1].jpg
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

I love the bronze, and the phosphor bronze snares, they are both on my wish list.

I did get a Gretsch USA Bell Brass in November of 2018. It is a monster.

2018 Gretsch Bell Brass snare drum.jpg
    Last edited by drummer5359; 12-13-2019 at 10:36 AM.
    -Mike

"Snare drums happen."

User Info Menu

Here is a shot of it with my new Gretsch USA Custom kit this past June.

Gretsch Bell Brass at HCL 2019.jpg
    -Mike

"Snare drums happen."

User Info Menu

Lovely !
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

I visited the Gretsch factory in Ridgeland South Carolina this past Wednesday while my wife and I were on vacation. The drums that I ordered are currently in production.

“Old fashioned craftsmanship” is how I’d describe what we witnessed. You can tell that they really care about what they create. Jackie and I were both impressed. By the way, I must have the coolest wife. She spent a good bit of a day out of our vacation with me at a drum factory and actually enjoyed herself.
    -Mike

"Snare drums happen."

User Info Menu

Hey 5359..................I did that tour a few years back.
    Paul Cooper went out of his way to give us a personal tour that took a little over an hour.
    Old fashioned craftsmanship..................exactly a 180 to what others are currently doing.

photo (62).jpg
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

I just got a call from Pittsburgh Drum Exchange. My Gretsch USA Custom 13” tom, 18”, 20” & 24” bass drums and 14” x 6 1/2” snare drum all just arrived to the shop. I’m going to pick them up tomorrow!
    -Mike

"Snare drums happen."

User Info Menu

that new drum smell!! That's the best!

User Info Menu

I've never been that crazy about sparkle but love that finish! I guess I like it in silver, lol.

User Info Menu

Hi All,

First post here. I’m the proud new owner of a used satin white Renown rock 3 piece (13, 16, 24). Also picking up tomorrow a very gently used US Custom 6.5 x 14 bronze snare. Excited to say the least.

The set was gigged and needs a cleaning. A first past with damp microfiber on the 13 took up a lot of the grime. However, there are some smudge-like areas that this was not able to remove. My question - 1) is this a standard lacquer finish and 2) does anyone know a good method for these particular drums to remove more stubborn smudges and marks? None seem to be damaging the finish in anyway. They all appear to be surface level.

Here are some pics.

Not very noticeable from a distance.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Track12 View Post
    Hi All,

First post here. I’m the proud new owner of a used satin white Renown rock 3 piece (13, 16, 24). Also picking up tomorrow a very gently used US Custom 6.5 x 14 bronze snare. Excited to say the least.

The set was gigged and needs a cleaning. A first past with damp microfiber on the 13 took up a lot of the grime. However, there are some smudge-like areas that this was not able to remove. My question - 1) is this a standard lacquer finish and 2) does anyone know a good method for these particular drums to remove more stubborn smudges and marks? None seem to be damaging the finish in anyway. They all appear to be surface level.

Here are some pics.

Not very noticeable from a distance.

Very nice!!

Welcome to Drum Chat!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Hello DC friends.........
    Today is August 26, 2020.
    I received my USA Custom shells in Dallas on August 26, 1977 -- 43 years ago today.
    They sound better than ever.........

IMG_2387 (3).jpg
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Ricardo;733244]

Hello DC friends.........
    Today is August 26, 2020.
    I received my USA Custom shells in Dallas on August 26, 1977 -- 43 years ago today.
    They sound better than ever.........