User Info Menu

Default Re: Gretsch Drums Discussion

Stock Gretsch Permatone heads (aka Remo) on a USA Custom kit:

User Info Menu

New Classics vs. USA Custom (both bop kit configurated):

User Info Menu

Is there anyone out there who owns a Marquee set? Marquee posts, reviews and videos are hard to come by. That leads me to think that no one is buying them. I played around on a set at GC the other day, but they were so screwed up tuning wise and the room was so noisy that it was impossible to get a handle on how they'd sound.

User Info Menu

Hey all,

Not sure if this is the spot to post but new to the forum. I played years ago and took a loooong time to get back in again. I WAS looking at Ekits but just had to get acoustic again. My Dad was a jazz drummer (hobby but super talented) and played on Gretsch. I grew up playing on his set.

Got a Catalina shellpack, Zildjian Ks and couldn't be happier. The first week I played and had the flop sweats because I was SO out of touch. Its coming back and I am tighter everytime I play. What a great drum at an affordable price.

I am a hack but really digging it!

User Info Menu

Default Emerald Green Gretsch's finally coming together! Swing band outing

Picked these up a while ago. Used them "as is", and set them aside while gathering parts. Changed out a bunch of funky lugs, added all matching claws, and did some polishing. Pearl feet on the floor tom legs. Coated /clear Ambos. Felt strip on the bass reso. Early, raw ally Acro. Matches very well with them. Much better over all. Some new bass hoops, and I'm done. While working on them today, had the Ken Burns Jazz '50's segment playing. The drums are becoming my Art Blakey memorial set. They really have *that sound* down right. Along with looks that are just crazy. I've been doing some gigs for a guy on chemo. Tonite was a jazz septet. The Gretsch were just killin'! Perfect! If he comes back, he needs to buy this set because it fits it so well. I had a great time playing that stuff. If I keep playing with them, we've got to add "Moanin" to the set list. Talking to the promoter after, she commented I added a lot of personality to the group. Hope they thought the same! I've really liked this set, now i'm down to lovin' it. What a great, classic sound!!!

User Info Menu

looks good enjoy
    Premier XPK Drums
    10, 12, 13, 14, 16 Suspended toms
    22 bass drum
    5 x 14 snare
    Premier Hardware
    Offset Double Pedal
    Sabian, Meniel cymbals
    Tama Metalworks 6.5 x 14" Black Nickel snare
    Ahead Drum Cases

User Info Menu

I just played at my 45th high school reunion which had a very similar appearance to your group....but alas....no horns.
    Is it me or do all drummers love the added rhythmic input of a horn section?
    Wish I could find more musicians of my age and taste in the Monadnock region of NH without needing to travel to less forested and more populated realms.
    Your drums are beautifully classic Bob!

User Info Menu

My only Gretsch is a Brooklyn series c0cktail kit. It was a nightmare to purchase, but it's a dream to play.

Last edited by comet; 11-08-2014 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Edited to add photo.
    Thumpin' Scott Comet
    Cool Cajon (Erakkustik), Nice C0cktail Kit (Gretsch Brooklyn), Peculiar Bop Kit (Whitney), Boring 5-piece Normie Kit (Yamaha)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by comet View Post
    My only Gretsch is a Brooklyn series c0cktail kit. It was a nightmare to purchase, but it's a dream to play.

Wow!!!! I didn't know Gretsch made them...just beautiful!!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Wow, that's a great shot of the 57's, Late!

User Info Menu

That's odd. I contacted both gretsch customer service and musiciansfriend to add an 8" Tom to my Catalina maple kit. It could be done for around $300 and take several months though.

User Info Menu

Wow!!!! I didn't know Gretsch made them...just beautiful!!
    Just missed one that matched my gig set. Gotta be quick......
    Last edited by bdonley; 12-01-2014 at 12:18 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Wow, that's a great shot of the 57's, Late!
    Thanks Tex!

User Info Menu

Default GTS Tom Mounting Question for Gretsch RN1 Renowns

Hey guys, thanks for this killer forum....

I'm getting close to purchasing a Gretsch Renown RN1 Euro kit. I'm confused about that GTS Tom Mounting system.

On my past kits I've always mounted the toms right on the kick drum. In Gretsch kits, they mount off the cymbal stands. This is something I've never seen before.

So my question: Does anyone know if you can use any decent cymbal stand, or do you need a specific Gretsch stand to mount the toms?

Thanks....

Eric

User Info Menu

Default Re: GTS Tom Mounting Question for Gretsch RN1 Renowns

Quote Originally Posted by eheller View Post

I'm getting close to purchasing a Gretsch Renown RN1 Euro kit. I'm confused about that GTS Tom Mounting system.

On my past kits I've always mounted the toms right on the kick drum. In Gretsch kits, they mount off the cymbal stands. This is something I've never seen before.

So my question: Does anyone know if you can use any decent cymbal stand, or do you need a specific Gretsch stand to mount the toms?

Thanks....

Eric
    Hi Eric welcome to the forum. The diameter of the holder is 1". Any stand that can accommodate a 1" tube will work.

I bought a Gibraltar mounting platform stand for $83 USD and only use the base of the platform and I slide the Gretsch double tom holder into the stand when I off set the rack toms.

Last edited by late8; 01-12-2015 at 06:02 PM.

User Info Menu

New Classics vs. USA Custom (both bop kit configurated):

Nice I wish they would turn the snares off when comparing toms but other than that this was pretty cool. The Customs definitely rounded out the sound much more IMO but the classic's were decent as well.

I wish people would do more of these type of side by side comparisons
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Thanks....

Eric
    Hi Eric,

You will love your Gretsch drums. The current configuration for most mid and high level drumsets usually includes a "virgin" bass drum - ie, one with no tom mounts built in. This is the case because many drummers prefer mounting their upper tom(s) on a separate stand for the supposed superior isolation this offers. You can either install a bass drum mounted tom(s) mount (in the traditional manner), or mount your tom(s) on a separate tom stand.

Since the RN1 kit has two upper toms, and you decide to stand-mount them, you will need a double tom stand such as the Gibraltar 6000 or 9000 series tom mount stand. There are a number of versions within these series (see them at. You may choose either a double mount (two toms) or a triple mount (two toms and a cymbal boom) with an array of leg systems to choose from.

If you want to mount the toms over the bass drum (in a traditional manner) you may do that, too, by using two tom mount stands. Using this method would allow you to have traditional mounting while avoiding any drilling into the bass drum shell (the resale value of a virgin drum is much higher that one that has been drilled for a double tom mount. This method (one double tom mount stand on either side of the bd) will also allow you to add a cymbal boom arm to the unused holes on the stand, thus saving you the expense of buying two cymbal stands.

Peruse the photos of members' setups on this site and you will come across the type of mounting option that will suit you.

Have fun playing, and share that joy with the audience.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    Hi Eric,

You will love your Gretsch drums. The current configuration for most mid and high level drumsets usually includes a "virgin" bass drum - ie, one with no tom mounts built in. This is the case because many drummers prefer mounting their upper tom(s) on a separate stand for the supposed superior isolation this offers. You can either install a bass drum mounted tom(s) mount (in the traditional manner), or mount your tom(s) on a separate tom stand.

Since the RN1 kit has two upper toms, and you decide to stand-mount them, you will need a double tom stand such as the Gibraltar 6000 or 9000 series tom mount stand. There are a number of versions within these series (see them at . You may choose either a double mount (two toms) or a triple mount (two toms and a cymbal boom) with an array of leg systems to choose from.

If you want to mount the toms over the bass drum (in a traditional manner) you may do that, too, by using two tom mount stands. Using this method would allow you to have traditional mounting while avoiding any drilling into the bass drum shell (the resale value of a virgin drum is much higher that one that has been drilled for a double tom mount. This method (one double tom mount stand on either side of the bd) will also allow you to add a cymbal boom arm to the unused holes on the stand, thus saving you the expense of buying two cymbal stands.

Peruse the photos of members' setups on this site and you will come across the type of mounting option that will suit you.

Have fun playing, and share that joy with the audience.

GeeDeeEmm
    Great post GeeDeeEmm. If you care to have the rack toms placed over the kit as GeeDeeEmm mentioned without drilling into the bass drum shell, use two cymbal stands and two single tom mounts:

User Info Menu

Great post GeeDeeEmm. If you care to have the rack toms placed over the kit as GeeDeeEmm mentioned without drilling into the bass drum shell, use two cymbal stands and two single tom mounts:

OMG that is gorgeous.

Acoustic & Electronic:
    Pearl Prestige World Series WLX 1988
    Tama Swingstar 1983
    Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive (Birch) 2007
    Ludwig Acrolite Snare 1976
    Ludwig Supraphonic 6.5x14" 2021
    Pearl Sensitone Elite Aluminum 5.5" and 6.5" Snare
    Pearl COB Custom Deluxe [Gladstone] (75-76) Snare
    Love Drum Co. Hammered Steel 5.5" Snare
    Roland TD-1KV

Paiste
    Accent 8"

Paiste Signature:
    6", 10" Splash
    14" Dark Crisp Hi-Hats
    14" Sound Edge Hi-Hats
    16", 17", 18",19", 20" Full Crash
    22" Symphonic Med-Heavy (use as a Ride)

Paiste Formula 602:
    22" Formula 602 Modern Essentials Ride

Paiste 2oo2:
    22" Ride
    16" Crash
    8",10" Splash

Paiste 2oo2 Big Beat:
    15" Hi-Hats
    19", 20", 21" Big Beat Multifunctional

Paiste Sound Formula:
    16" Crash
    20" Full Ride (Frankenstein)

Paiste Twenty:
    16" China

Paiste Alpha (original Swiss made):
    12" Splash

Paiste PST7:
    Medium
    16", 18" Crash
    20" Ride
    14" Hi-Hats

Sabian:
    XS20 18" China
    AA 14" Fusion Hi-Hats

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EyePea View Post
    OMG that is gorgeous.
    Even after 38 years, the sight of the ebony USA shells still opens my eyes.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EyePea View Post
    OMG that is gorgeous.
    Thanks EyePea!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Even after 38 years, the sight of the ebony USA shells still opens my eyes.
    Thanks again Ricardo for "opening" mine with your Jaspers! I don't think I would be in possession of these beautifully sounding drums if it wasn't for your participation on this forum.

User Info Menu

This is great info and really appreciated. That kit looks awesome in black.....

Thanks much. (I hope I'm replying the right way here....)

Eric

Hi Eric welcome to the forum. The diameter of the holder is 1". Any stand that can accommodate a 1" tube will work.

I bought a Gibraltar mounting platform stand for $83 USD and only use the base of the platform and I slide the Gretsch double tom holder into the stand when I off set the rack toms.

User Info Menu

Thanks again Ricardo for "opening" mine with your Jaspers! I don't think I would be in possession of these beautifully sounding drums if it wasn't for your participation on this forum.
    Thank you for the kind words.
    I did not realize that until you bought them and when they were delivered "less-than-perfect" I was shocked.
    I am very happy everything has been worked out

That kit looks awesome in black.....
    Upon close inspection you would see that they are a natural maple shell with ebony stain............you can still see the grain of the wood and they are absolutely beautiful.
    Gretsch has offered that same finish on USA for decades............literally.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)