Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Sonor Drums Discussion

User Info Menu

Default Re: Sonor Drums Discussion

Bish,

Are your heads coated Ambassadors or Emperors? I use the clear Emps and they sound wonderful. I’m guessing the coated heads offer a little more of the mellow tone the 3007’s are capable of producing. Again beautiful drums!
    Now playing Gretsch and Slingerland Drums

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sonorkid View Post
    Another beautiful finish. Great looking set up Bish. Odd,,,,but I have two stock BD heads against a wall as well. Those Aquarians bring that drum alive don't they. Fantastic drums, and in my humble opinion, largely overlooked and highly under rated.

sonorkid
    Straight up, SK. I can't believe there aren't more kits out in use. They are fantastic drums with great tones (that can seriously rival my DW's) when using the same Coated Ambassadors, (except the DW's have coated Evans, atm).

Anyone looking for a really nice kit but with out the expense, a new SONOR kit can get you that value and quality.

When I finally decided to buy them, I had the "45 day" guarantee and even kept the boxes not knowing what to expect. After assembly and rritter recommending a head change, I was like......wow, these are amazing.

Long story short, I ignored the 45 return policy and am keeping them. And the best part, next month they will be paid off....one down....3 to go.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rritter View Post
    Bish,

Are your heads coated Ambassadors or Emperors? I use the clear Emps and they sound wonderful. I’m guessing the coated heads offer a little more of the mellow tone the 3007’s are capable of producing. Again beautiful drums!
    Ambassadors....hehe, I may have answered that in the previous post before seeing your post. Typical drummer ....

Thanks for the compliment. I think all the kits on this thread are very pretty.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I should also point out that for you MAPEX die-hards, if you are looking for a second kit, SONOR will utilize perfectly the MAPEX hardware you may currently own.

So all you'd need to do is find a shell pack that meets your requirements.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I'm not too familiar with Sonor drums and looking at the pics posted(wonderful pics btw) I notice non of them have a virgin bass drum. The mount looks really sturdy but it got me curious, does Sonor build some virgin bass drums too or is the heavy duty mounts a Sonor thing?
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Andreeew View Post
    I'm not too familiar with Sonor drums and looking at the pics posted(wonderful pics btw) I notice non of them have a virgin bass drum. The mount looks really sturdy but it got me curious, does Sonor build some virgin bass drums too or is the heavy duty mounts a Sonor thing?
    I mulled over getting a 24" bass when I ordered mine last spring. But, I would've had to buy just a shell kit with the virgin bass and racks for the toms, and all other harware which was more money than what I paid for the 22" with the tom mounts and all other hardware included in the total price. The mounts are mega-sturdy and I have had no issues with them at all.

sonorkid
    "A man can NEVER have too many cymbals"

Proudly Playing

Sonor Force 3007 Stage One Piano Black 22X17.5 kick, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14 and 16" toms
    Pork Pie Big Black Snare
    Vater Sticks/Brushes
    Remo Vintage Emperor, Emperor X, and Powerstroke Pro Heads
    Paiste Twenty/2002/Signature Cymbals
    Sonor/DW/Gibraltar Hardware

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Andreeew View Post
    Sometimes I take a tom stand and mount two toms and use the floor to make up a basic 5 piece kit. Normally I'm not fond of bass drum mounted toms but in the case of this kit, it was the only negative point and it was way less important that how great these drums turned out to be.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Although my bass drums have the double tom mount, they are both "virgin" as there is no hole passing through the shell. The mount actually attaches to the lugs - similarly, the toms themselves are virgin, as the mounts also attach to the lugs. I believe (and I could be mistaken), all the higher end, i.e. more expensive, Sonor models are "virgin". I'm not sure about the "Force" series of drums as to whether or not the tom mount passes through the shell.

Stix
    Encouragement = Fertilizer for the seed of desire
    & the flower of accomplishment.

Sonor S-Class -Ash

22 Bass, 8, 10, 12, 14 Rack, 16 Floor
    14X5 D454 Chrome Snare
    21 Zildjian Ride, 21 Zilco Crash Ride, 15 Sabian AAX Dark Crash
    14 Sabian XS20 Medium Crash, 13 Sabian El Sabor Splash, 13 Zildjian A Custom Hats
    10 Paiste Twenty Splash, 10 Zildjian A Splash, 6 Zildjian Zilbel
    Tama Iron Cobra 2X Pedal & Hatstand, Pearl Icon Rack

www.myspace.com/stix51861

User Info Menu

It's been years since I've played and owned a kit (last one was Yamaha in my University days) and I've recently decided to return to drumming. Hey...I've got the family, the job and the house..got to live a little and express myself.

Did some research on materials, pricing and reviews and ended up getting a Force 3007 kit which I really like. Great projection and toms are extremely deep and warm sounding. I've never been able to resist big bottom end so I ordered the 18" floor tom as well...it's a KILLER!

Anyway, it's good to be back into drumming. I also bought my 5yr old son a CB Drum 5-piece and we are doing some jamming. We've signed up for lessons as well and it's been a great father-son experience.

- Changes to come:
    1. Will be adding a 10" tom
    2. Will be adding China, remote hats and at least two more crashes (probably Sabian 17" Rock or Medium crashes)
    3. Hopefull starting a world tour soon so that I can get out of IT...LOL

- Drums: 2008 Sonor Force 3007 - Stage 1 (Red Maple)
    Bass Drum - 22" x 17.5"
    Snare Drum - 14" x 5.5"
    Tom Toms - 12" x 9" & 13" x 10"
    Floor Toms - 16" x 16" & 18" x 16"

- Cymbals: Sabian
    AA 14" Rock Hi-Hats
    Paragon 16" Crash
    AA 18" Medium Crash
    AA 12" Splash
    AA 21" Dry Ride

- Pedals: Pearl P122TW Double Pedal

Peace!

DangerousD
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat, DangerousD.

Very sweet kit you have there!!

Congrats!!!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

You guys have some great looking Sonors' I've always liked Sonor and picked up a set of Force 2007 [If I remember correctly]

I don't have them anymore but here they are.....

Cheers,
    John
    Last edited by G-MANN; 01-30-2009 at 09:34 PM.

User Info Menu

Nice set up DangerousD. Welcome to the forum.

sonorkid

Proudly Playing

Sonor Force 3007 Stage One Piano Black 22X17.5 kick, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14 and 16" toms
    Pork Pie Big Black Snare
    Vater Sticks/Brushes

User Info Menu

AWESOME, DD!!!

Thanks for posting those.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Played a set of 3000's the other night at a jam, not too shabby, I hated the pedal though, and the snare was well out of tune. nice warm tone on the toms.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Nice kit GMann. Like the cymbal set up.

sk

Proudly Playing

Pork Pie Big Black Snare
    Vater Sticks/Brushes

User Info Menu

the lug design reminds me of the platinums

User Info Menu

Hello Sonor players, there are some beautiful kits here, I'm sorry I don't have any pics of mine up yet but will post them asap. I have a question on identifying my kit which seems to be kinda rare as I can't find much on it on the easternet. I have narrowed it down to the early 80's by the hardware and silver phonic badge. It is a 9 ply beechwood kit. I'm trying to further narrow it down by the black sparkle finish. I've only been able to find a few pics of this finish and never on 9 ply beechwood. I've only seen this finish on Sonor so I have to assume it's not an after market finish. is there a time frame for which this finish was used?
    Of all the kits I have heard I have never (even among touring musicians w/ professional kits) heard one that sounds better and I wouldn't dream of parting with it but I would like to be able to tell people exactly what I have.
    Any help you can give is very appreciated, Thanks.

User Info Menu

For all kinds of info on Sonor drums, head on over to www.sonormuseum.com and on the left hand column you can research what you have. You can identify your set, you can check out the catalog of your make/model and Scott, the board admin., even posts the price list from the era (if he's been able to secure one). Wealth of info right there, let me tell you. Scott also runs a board for Sonor Geeks... great bunch of guys/girls all with a passion for Sonor. Unless the question/comment is totally off the wall, the vets are pretty accomodating for the newbs as well. Frankly, as much as I like the company here, I haven't had too much time to spend on boards of late but I check over there fairly regularly because they have a "for sale" thread and I'm always looking for a good deal on Sonor gear. Check it out!

Stix
    Encouragement = Fertilizer for the seed of desire
    & the flower of accomplishment.

Sonor S-Class -Ash

22 Bass, 8, 10, 12, 14 Rack, 16 Floor
    14X5 D454 Chrome Snare
    21 Zildjian Ride, 21 Zilco Crash Ride, 15 Sabian AAX Dark Crash
    14 Sabian XS20 Medium Crash, 13 Sabian El Sabor Splash, 13 Zildjian A Custom Hats
    10 Paiste Twenty Splash, 10 Zildjian A Splash, 6 Zildjian Zilbel
    Tama Iron Cobra 2X Pedal & Hatstand, Pearl Icon Rack

www.myspace.com/stix51861

User Info Menu

i like sonor cause they do 17" or so depths like yamaha does

User Info Menu

Hey Stix, thats the site I used to narrow my kit down but I didn't know you could ask questions. I'll do that. thanks a million. Hey Mortal, I just like the general tone and resonance you can get from Sonor. not many other brands seems to have a similar, fullness, I guess is all I can call it.

User Info Menu

Two words...Phil Rudd

Damo Guest

A few older shots of mine

Sonor Designer 6pc (Custom Black Bubinga Burst)
    Vintage Maple with Bubinga outer veneer.

10x8 tom
    12x9 tom
    14x14 Floor Tom
    16x16 Floor Tom
    22x18 kick drum
    14x5 snare

Cymbals (from L to R, some now changed)
    Sabian HHX 20" Chinese
    Sabian HH 13" Regular Hats
    Sabian Prototype 10" Hats
    Sabian HHX 18" Stage Crash
    Sabian Prototype 9" Splash
    Sabian Prototype 7" Splash
    Sabian HHX 19" Xplosion Crash
    Sabian HH 21" Medium Heavy Ride
    Sabian HHX 18" Chinese
    Sabian HHX 16" Evolution China
    Sabian AAX 18" Stage Crash
    Sabian Prototype 9" 'Hells Bell'

User Info Menu

Absolutely beautiful kit Damo!!!!!

sk

Proudly Playing

Pork Pie Big Black Snare
    Vater Sticks/Brushes

User Info Menu

Very sweet kit Damo

User Info Menu

Nice Sonors everybody
    Ludwig Accent CS Custom- Black with Chrome Hardware