Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Sonor Drums Discussion

User Info Menu

Default Re: Sonor Drums Discussion

I've never owned a Sonor kit, but I'm pretty sure my next one will be. I love the tones from the Sonor Birch Infinite's. All of ya'll have great looking kits! Thanks for sharing!

User Info Menu

thank you guys!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Anyone know what wood type these are? Person does not know much other than he thinks they are birch. But all I can find about special edition sonors with no other name or model #'s are mostly all poplar? Supposedly from the 90's but I am not sure on that. The BD is a 20"

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Looks like Sonor Special Editions. I believe these were a top level kit for their era.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Wonderful kits, but they are mid-range level, also they were made in China.
    They also used to sound great-

User Info Menu

What you Sonor heads think about the Force Maple 3005?
    One of my student wanted a Sonor for him too (after drooling on my beauties :P) and yesterday he bought a complete Force Maple 3005 in solid black finish- 10-12-14 toms, 20 kick and 5x14 snare.
    As soon I've opened the boxes with him I've realized how solid the kit was- also the hardware pack included it's just over the top- 2 boom cymbal stand, snare stand, hi hat stand, double tom holder on kick, on tom bracket with clamp for the hanging 14 tom and an heavy duty single pedal for the kick.
    And it sounds very very very good!
    All for 450 bucks, NEW (it was a stock remnants)!

It would be this kit, but in solid black finish
    [IMG][/IMG]
    What do you guys think about sound these kits?

User Info Menu

I've had a Sonor Force 3005 Full Maple kit for about two years now. Very nice kit. Even with the stock heads and e-rings the kit produces full tones on the toms (12, 13, 16). The snare drum can crank or slosh (hey, I just made that up, can't think of another term to describe the sound, I think you guys might know what I mean). The bass drum (22) with the stock reso head and a Remo Powersonic delivers a nice full thump. The hardware, a mixture of Series 400 which came with the set that I bought used on CL, and Series 200 mini-boom cymbal stands, is among the most solid I've seen.

At $450, your student got a good deal on a nice set of drums. Teach him well, so you both can enjoy them.
    JOE

Seven piece vintage Ludwig kit (1971), Sky Blue Pearl, 12, 13, 14, 16, 20, 22
    Snare drums (all Ludwig): 1971 Supraphonic, 1969 SBP Classic, 1990s Blackrolite, 2012 6.5x 14 Black Magic
    Zildjian Cymbals - 21 ping, 20, 20, 19, 18, 17, 16, 15, 14 HH, 10, 18 China, Wuhan 18 China
    Five piece Sonor All Maple 3005s: 12, 13, 16, 22, 5x 14 snare
    Roland TD4SX
    SPL Birch Bop Kit: 13, 8, 13, 18

User Info Menu

Thank you for sharing ur experience-

User Info Menu

New addition to the Sonor family, Martini kit (sold my Lud breakbeats)!
    [IMG][/IMG]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mirkko DeMaio View Post
    New addition to the Sonor family, Martini kit (sold my Lud breakbeats)!
    [IMG][/IMG]
    How do you like the Martini Kit? I'm thinking about purchasing one for my in house practice kit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RobBibb View Post
    How do you like the Martini Kit? I'm thinking about purchasing one for my in house practice kit.
    Didn't played at any gig yet, but I've played it today and yesterday in my studio- 8" tom and 13" floor are just good, pretty standard, even with chinese heads. Kick has got not that low end, but it does its work...I mean it's just ok for little gigs, it would be stupid to expect a John Bonham sound from a 14" kick :P
    The snare sounds very good, but the throw off machine seems to be very crappy, I guess i'm gonna change that.
    Hardware and shell hardware are solid and classy- I definitely recommend it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mirkko DeMaio View Post
    Didn't played at any gig yet, but I've played it today and yesterday in my studio- 8" tom and 13" floor are just good, pretty standard, even with chinese heads. Kick has got not that low end, but it does its work...I mean it's just ok for little gigs, it would be stupid to expect a John Bonham sound from a 14" kick :P
    The snare sounds very good, but the throw off machine seems to be very crappy, I guess i'm gonna change that.
    Hardware and shell hardware are solid and classy- I definitely recommend it.
    Awesome! Good to know! I'm thinking maybe small gigs. Coffee shops, small restaurants, etc...

User Info Menu

Here's my old Sonor. Nothing special but to me... I got it for my 5th Birthday. I turn 32 next month.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    Here's my old Sonor. Nothing special but to me... I got it for my 5th Birthday. I turn 32 next month.

5th birthday? I would have thought the bass drum would have been bigger than you at that age.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Steve Smith killing it on some Sonor Vintages.

Acoustic & Electronic:
    Pearl Prestige World Series WLX 1988
    Tama Swingstar 1983
    Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive (Birch) 2007
    Ludwig Acrolite Snare 1976
    Ludwig Supraphonic 6.5x14" 2021
    Pearl Sensitone Elite Aluminum 5.5" and 6.5" Snare
    Pearl COB Custom Deluxe [Gladstone] (75-76) Snare
    Love Drum Co. Hammered Steel 5.5" Snare
    Roland TD-1KV

Paiste
    Accent 8"

Paiste Signature:
    6", 10" Splash
    14" Dark Crisp Hi-Hats
    14" Sound Edge Hi-Hats
    16", 17", 18",19", 20" Full Crash
    22" Symphonic Med-Heavy (use as a Ride)

Paiste Formula 602:
    22" Formula 602 Modern Essentials Ride

Paiste 2oo2:
    22" Ride
    16" Crash
    8",10" Splash

Paiste 2oo2 Big Beat:
    15" Hi-Hats
    19", 20", 21" Big Beat Multifunctional

Paiste Sound Formula:
    16" Crash
    20" Full Ride (Frankenstein)

Paiste Twenty:
    16" China

Paiste Alpha (original Swiss made):
    12" Splash

Paiste PST7:
    Medium
    16", 18" Crash
    20" Ride
    14" Hi-Hats

Sabian:
    XS20 18" China
    AA 14" Fusion Hi-Hats

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    5th birthday? I would have thought the bass drum would have been bigger than you at that age.
    It was.. I have video of me playing with my dad and I couldn't reach the pedals fully haha. Or I was stretching like crazy to hit the bass drum from the throne.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    It was.. I have video of me playing with my dad and I couldn't reach the pedals fully haha. Or I was stretching like crazy to hit the bass drum from the throne.
    Probably weren't ready for a Roc'n'soc yet, then, huh?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Probably weren't ready for a Roc'n'soc yet, then, huh?
    haha definitely not. I do still have the original Sonor throne. Just not pictured. Was a tall seat.

User Info Menu

My little giant, my little sonor safari. I love this little kit, it's great for small clubs,parties/etc. I use a 7x13 in. sonor maple(piano black). This is pictured w/a 10"black out snare(pdp). I'm using it right now for rehersal in simi valley,calif. minus the octobans.

User Info Menu

Very nice drummerMD,love the compact kits,what sizes are your octobans?

User Info Menu

The octobans I made myself, the sizes are 11,11 3/4,13 1/2,and 15 1/2 inches. Made to Tama specs. That's Tama for ya.

User Info Menu

Doesn't anyone have the SQ2's to tell us about?

User Info Menu

drummer you made those yourself? That's great. I tried making one myself.

Where did you get the acrylic?

User Info Menu

It was about 3 yrs. ago. I ordered through a plastic/acrylic co. on line here in So. Cal. I ordered to size 6" o.d. and depth. Tama octobans are 5 7/8 in.in diameter those are true 6 in. Then I ordered hardware through S.A./tama. I did the bearing edges myself. . . . .not fun, but it all worked out anyway. I don't think I'll do it again, but it was fun.

User Info Menu

Yeah I used a 6" PVC pipe I found and OMG while cutting it and shaving it etc it was messy and not cooperating nicely... so I only made the one and then bought octobans haha

User Info Menu

Yeah I did it right, all the lugs and mounts are backed up with metal washers and rubber washers touching the shell inside and out and rubber gaskets for the lugs. Had Freddie Beato (Beato Bags) make a custom case for them all. He never made a case for octobans before so he did and nailed it! the case came out perfect.