Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Sonor Drums Discussion

User Info Menu

Default Re: Sonor Drums Discussion

Damo, no matter how many different angles you show of that kit, it's mouth watering every time.

Simply beautiful. Can I have it?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Default Re: Sonor Drum Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Olly View Post
    lovely kit!!!
    Man, I love that natural finish

User Info Menu

My Sonor Force 3007 in Natural Maple on a job 8/01/09

Drums
    10, 12, 13, & 16 Toms
    22x17.5 Bass
    5.5x 14 Snare
    Cymbals (All Wuhan S Series)
    14” Hats
    16” Crash
    17” Crash
    18” Crash
    20” Ride
    18” China
    Hardware
    Gibraltar 5600 Series
    Cases
    Protechtor Elite Air
    Last edited by rritter; 08-01-2009 at 11:46 PM.
    Now playing Gretsch and Slingerland Drums

User Info Menu

More about last nights band job.

We played for a fire dept yard party and we set up on the entrance apron to the truck bays. The apron has a slight slope to it so last evening everything was leaning away from me. Not the natural feel I’m use to. This required more concentration on my playing but by applying that extra effort it actually made me more aware and perform better. How did we do last evening? We booked for next year.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rritter View Post
    My Sonor Force 3007 in Natural Maple on a job
    Hey RRitter, I see that you also own the Gretsch Catalinas. Would you share your observations between the 3007 and Catalina sets (Pros/Cons)?

User Info Menu

The Catalina kit I own is their now out of production birch series kit. It is configured in the exact same sizes as the 3007’s. The kit is superbly made and follows the Gretsch practice of using 5 lugs on the 12 inch and smaller size drums. Not a band thing because on the 10 & 12 inch drum they are easy to tune and hold their tune longer. Both kits where sold as shell packs so the only supplied hardware is the tom legs and rack tom mount. The Gretsch mount has to be one of the best designs on the market. It is ashamed they didn’t use this mount on the Maple cats. The birch series mount is totally flexible in every dimension. The Sonor mount is fine but doesn’t offer near the flexibility.

As for the drums both have beautiful flawless finishes with superb bearing edges. The Gretsch kit is in Cheery Lacquer and is the prettier of the two but the Sonor’s natural maple is also a beautiful finish. I use Remo Emps on the toms of both kits for a more mellow sound.

The birch Cats sound is a little brighter than the maple of the Sonor’s and that is why I am currently playing the Sonors. This kit has the beautiful maple tone I was looking for. I have played high end kits from DW, Yamaha, and Pearl that sound no better.

If I only could have one of the kits to keep I would take the Sonor but I would hate to give up my Gretsch. Both are great built and sounding kits. Much better than their price range would suggest.

User Info Menu

Does anyone have any info or opinions on the Sonor 1007 kit?

I would be looking at this as a second kit for light gigging and band practice work.

I want it to sound good! Does anoyone know if it does ?

Thanks, Alex

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill

User Info Menu

I think Bish is the guy to answer Sonor quest.'s...I love the older kits but not familiar with the newer stuff
    Last edited by zzzdanz; 08-20-2009 at 07:24 AM.

User Info Menu

Drums
    10, 12, 13, & 16 Toms
    22x17.5 Bass
    5.5x 14 Snare
    Cymbals (All Wuhan S Series)
    14” Hats
    16” Crash
    17” Crash
    18” Crash
    20” Ride
    18” China
    Hardware
    Gibraltar 5600 Series
    Cases
    Protechtor Elite Air

That is a beautiful kit!

User Info Menu

Can anyone here give me some info on the force 505 series

I have a chance to get a set at a pretty low price.

Ive been playing for only 6 months but I need a new set that I can grow with.

Thanks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zzzdanz View Post
    I think Bish is the guy to answer Sonor quest.'s...I love the older kits but not familiar with the newer stuff
    Thanks for the vote of confidence.

As rritter said, the SONOR's sound as good as the higher end kits. His finish is also very attractive. SONOR's finishes are all good!

As far as sound, unless you can turn your back on any kit and tell what kind of wood it is made of and again, accounting for variations in heads, I believe you can get most any kit to sound good. It's really very subjective.

In my experience, my Pearl Masters, DW Collectors and Tama Starclassic Bubingas all sound very different. But all sound good in their own right.

I can't say one is better than the other. If you DON'T have more than one kit to compare to side by side, I firmly believe with good head selection and good tuning technique, you will love whatever kit you can afford to purchase.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by canada180 View Post
    Can anyone here give me some info on the force 505 series

I have a chance to get a set at a pretty low price.

Ive been playing for only 6 months but I need a new set that I can grow with.

Thanks
    i believe it had wrapped finishes over basswood with the same hardware as 3007/2007's. but with the blowouts on the 3007's you can get them almost the same as 505's so id just save a lil more for 2 or 3007's if we're talking long term kits
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    i believe it had wrapped finishes over basswood with the same hardware as 3007/2007's. but with the blowouts on the 3007's you can get them almost the same as 505's so id just save a lil more for 2 or 3007's if we're talking long term kits
    Ok Russ.

Thanks for the insights

User Info Menu

the sound might not be for you, try them in person and check youtube for sound samples as well.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Good points, Russ.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I am looking at getting a Sonor Force 507 Fusion Kit, however I have heard the skins on it are not that good. I was wondering what type of skins to get (I have been looking at the Remo Ambassador skin).
    Thanks.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drummer95 View Post
    I am looking at getting a Sonor Force 507 Fusion Kit, however I have heard the skins on it are not that good. I was wondering what type of skins to get (I have been looking at the Remo Ambassador skin).
    Thanks.....
    U are 100% sure to change skins at some point anyway. All factory skins on all make intermediate drums are the * * * * *. Take time to learn what u like and meanwhile beat the factory skins to death. The importance of the reso side skin is often forgotten so replacing only batter side won't get the best out of the drums. I would drop the 507 and try to find a used drumset like all birch Sonor 2005.

xmapex

*Edited due to language. We try to be family friendly here. - PB*

User Info Menu

Hi xmapex I have had a look at some other drumkits found a SONOR FORCE 20 EXTREME. I was wondering if you know anything about these kits and if so can you tell me about them but if not than it doesn't matter.
    Thanks........

User Info Menu

Richard, when I was considering my Gretsch Catalina kit, I was also considering the Sonor Force 3007 kit in the natural finish. I know I couldn't have lost either way, but the final decision was really tough. I'm glad that I never saw this kit in person, because I would have driven myself crazy making the final decision. Absolutely beautiful Richard!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drummer95 View Post
    Hi xmapex I have had a look at some other drumkits found a SONOR FORCE 20 EXTREME. I was wondering if you know anything about these kits and if so can you tell me about them but if not than it doesn't matter.
    Thanks........
    Extreme force is a 507 basswood kit (1007 is also basswood). Basswood is not bad, it is actually "better" for less loud playing like church or home.

xmapex

*Edited for language - PB*

User Info Menu

PB

Thanks so much for the nice complement. I also play a Getsch Birch Catalina kit and I love both of my kits. The maple of the Sonor is a beautiful sounding and looking kit. You would have been equally happy with the Sonor had you gone that route.

FYI

I played outside last night at a camp ground without any cover and the dew was heavy. We played from 8 to midnight. This morning I had to get my equipment out of the band trailer and clean everything, cymbals and drums. Actually the cymbal cleaning was needed and the damp evening air gave me the incentive to get it done.

dave0549jv Guest

great pics guys! I don't think I've seen a set of sonors that I didn't like. Bish... I Love that fade.... just beautiful.

User Info Menu

Default I need help ID'ing my vintage Sonors

All right all you vintage drum buffs...
    These were purchased, Christmas '71, slightly used. The floor tom pictured is a 16x15 (diam x depth) made of rosewood. The rest of the Sonors are a bop-kit with 12x8 tom, 14x13 fl, and a 18x14 kick. Same lugs, same badge, but beech shells, I beleive. (The 10x8 in the pic is a Yamaha I added in the 80's. Ignore it.)
    I am very curious to know the year of manufacture if anyone can nail it down.
    I am preparing to have the lugs re-chromed, bearing edges sharpened, new hoops and rods, tear the cheap black wrap (my mistake in 1984) off the bop kit and finish them to match the rosewood near as possible.
    Thanks and wish me luck.
    Last edited by Johnny G; 02-17-2010 at 10:21 AM.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

Hey, Johnny, is it just me or are the bass drum legs nearer to you than the front of the drum?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

resoless kits!!!!!!!!!!!!! pwned
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules